SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Urban Sky Apr 3, 2007 3:30 AM

well, at the other end of the spectrum from what i just said, there are some independents along broadway that we could afford to lose....like some of those crappy convinient stores...barf!

Urban Sky Apr 3, 2007 3:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeHundred (Post 2738787)
I never said it wasn't.

oh, i know. im just saying that i think there is a slight difference in the comparison. ill admit i dont know as much as i should about LA development as i should before i say this, but i think Petco is doing more for SD than Staples did for LA...

Derek Apr 3, 2007 3:32 AM

^Payless is in a strange spot, too

Urban Sky Apr 3, 2007 3:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2738798)
^Payless is in a strange spot, too

yeh, that whole area of stores right there...im ready to see those go bye bye....or at least get a serious make over. along with the stores along C street by the trolley.

Derek Apr 3, 2007 3:34 AM

C Street is supposed to be getting a revitilization...but i havent heard much about it :shrug:

sandiegodweller Apr 3, 2007 3:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeHundred (Post 2738745)
There is alot to DTLA than just the area around Staples. Just as there is more to DTSD than to Petco. You can look at the LA Project thread and see what's going on. Both Staples and Petco were HUGE at turning around both LA and SD (Though Staples is older..it was built in 1999).

I hope all of the projects are successful. DTLA is a huge area and I am sure that several new neighborhoods will be created over time. Hopefully, they can create some ambiance.

My point is that besides Staples, DTLA has had the Coliseum, the Sports Arena, the convention center, USC campus, actual 70+ story skyscrapers and several other economic engines working on it for 50+ years and it is still trying to successfully incorporate residential projects into the mix.

Derek Apr 3, 2007 3:37 AM

^i like your avatar:tup:

sandiegodweller Apr 3, 2007 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2738805)
C Street is supposed to be getting a revitilization...but i havent heard much about it :shrug:

The California Theatre building is the key to that area but it needs to be retrofitted and the costs are prohibitive. It has been on the market for $9 million for the past few years.

BrandonJXN Apr 3, 2007 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2738796)
oh, i know. im just saying that i think there is a slight difference in the comparison. ill admit i dont know as much as i should about LA development as i should before i say this, but i think Petco is doing more for SD than Staples did for LA...

I'll agree with you in saying that Petco is doing more for SD than Staples did for LA. However, the area of downtown LA that Staples is located in (South Park) is a hotspot for development. So that fact will change.: http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...dtla/south.jpg

There are also many many many new restraunts opening or about to open all throught downtown LA. Downtown LA is showing signs of life. Hundreds of old buildings are being turned into lofts/condo's, and the homeless situation is slowly being addressed. A HUGE drug ring was exposed and destroyed a few weeks ago and already a sharp decrease has been seen. We still have a way to go but progress is progress.

Derek Apr 3, 2007 3:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 2738827)
The California Theatre building is the key to that area but it needs to be retrofitted and the costs are prohibitive. It has been on the market for $9 million for the past few years.

that dump should just be bulldozed...9 mil?!:shrug:

Urban Sky Apr 3, 2007 3:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2738805)

yeah, im just hoping the stores get revitalized while theyre at it.

as far as i know, the C Street project is still in the works....CCDC says that a "Master Plan" will be done by 2007...does that mean that the plans will be done? or the entire project?

i think its pretty cool that they got S.O.M. to do it!

sandiegodweller Apr 3, 2007 3:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2738796)

You would be surpised how much activity is sprouting up around Staples. It probably rivals or exceeds Petco. Hopefully, they can make it succesful.

Urban Sky Apr 3, 2007 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 2738827)

yeah, ive called the sales office to try and find info out about this several times, but they were very reluctant to give me any information.

i do think they they will be able to move forward without doing anything with the California Theater. I know it's an eyesore, but there is a LOT more wrong with C Street other than the California Theater.

sandiegodweller Apr 3, 2007 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2738837)
that dump should just be bulldozed...9 mil?!:shrug:

It's historic.

Derek Apr 3, 2007 3:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2738863)
yeah, im just hoping the stores get revitalized while theyre at it.

as far as i know, the C Street project is still in the works....CCDC says that a "Master Plan" will be done by 2007...does that mean that the plans will be done? or the entire project?

i think its pretty cool that they got S.O.M. to do it!

im guessing that just plans will be done...cuz that place hasnt changed much in a few years...

Derek Apr 3, 2007 3:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 2738876)
It's historic.

sarcastically speaking, of course;)

Urban Sky Apr 3, 2007 3:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 2738864)
You would be surpised how much activity is sprouting up around Staples. It probably rivals or exceeds Petco. Hopefully, they can make it succesful.

okay, well, i was talking about on a more "per capita" basis. you have to remember that LA is way bigger than SD, so SDs seemingly "little" growth when compared to LA is actually HUGE for the city.

I hate to be a bummer because it seems you like talking about LA, but i think LA talk belongs in the LA thread.

Urban Sky Apr 3, 2007 3:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2738883)
sarcastically speaking, of course;)

of course...speaking of history, i love the mural on the back side of the theater...the Ad for horse racing in Mexico...so vintage.

Derek Apr 3, 2007 3:59 AM

^i love the older artwork!! its a shame it is ignored by most though:(

(holy shit, myself and Urban Sky are on topic:jester:)

sandiegodweller Apr 3, 2007 4:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2738872)
yeah, ive called the sales office to try and find info out about this several times, but they were very reluctant to give me any information.

i do think they they will be able to move forward without doing anything with the California Theater. I know it's an eyesore, but there is a LOT more wrong with C Street other than the California Theater.

I heard from a good source (attorney) a few months ago that it may be headed for BK or foreclosure.

The reason that it is vital to the area is because it needs to be secure so it won't collapse into surrounding structures or the trolley tracks. It will need to be addressed before you build next to it.