SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Supertall Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=323)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

NYguy Jun 22, 2016 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael85225 (Post 7482018)
Yay, a true new supertall in New York with no cheating spire (besides 432 park ave).

None of the new supertalls going up currently in NY uses a spire to achieve that status. But either way, if a spire is part of the design, it's counted. There's no doubt about that, but it can be debated from now to the end of time in the thread that was created for it.

hunser Jun 22, 2016 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchester united (Post 7482327)
Hunser, are you agreed that this tower has at least 108 real floors ( 1 floor = 1 roof ) ? OK , there aren't 131, but there are 108 real floors. Why for the 1 WTC are considered 104 floors, even if are only 92 real floors and in this case isn't possible to write the reality ?

Yes, if we go by the latest rendering, then the tower has indeed over 100 real floors. But we should wait for an official release. Extell still hasn't released any specific info on the tower, like height, mechanical floors, total floor count, square footage etc..

manchester united Jun 22, 2016 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunser (Post 7482827)
Yes, if we go by the latest rendering, then the tower has indeed over 100 real floors. But we should wait for an official release. Extell still hasn't released any specific info on the tower, like height, mechanical floors, total floor count, square footage etc..

100% agreed. But in the meantime we could change the title from 99 floors to over 100. At least this.....

tokilamockingbrd Jun 23, 2016 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 7482672)
None of the new supertalls going up currently in NY uses a spire to achieve that status. But either way, if a spire is part of the design, it's counted. There's no doubt about that, but it can be debated from now to the end of time in the thread that was created for it.

ya that might have been true last cycle with some towers using the spire to pad their stats, but not this cycle. Last Cycle we had BoA Tower, NYT tower and 1 WTC with massive spires inflating their status.

We have some crowns this cycle true, but crowns greatly add to the physical presents of a tower and are much more costly than a spire. Even towers that are doing spires and not going crazy with them, like I believe 1 vandy will have a 100 foot spire or so.

NYguy Jun 23, 2016 2:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokilamockingbrd (Post 7483017)
ya that might have been true last cycle with some towers using the spire to pad their stats, but not this cycle. Last Cycle we had BoA Tower, NYT tower and 1 WTC with massive spires inflating their status.

Those towers were designed with spires, they weren't last minute additions to "pad stats". The Freedom Tower (which did not need a spire to achieve supertall status) has a spire for a very specific reason. This tower, as of now, has no spire. So foucus instead on what is rising here.

Guiltyspark Jun 23, 2016 2:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 7483137)
Those towers were designed with spires, they weren't last minute additions to "pad stats". The Freedom Tower (which did not need a spire to achieve supertall status) has a spire for a very specific reason. This tower, as of now, has no spire. So foucus instead on what is rising here.

What's thay very specific reason for the 1WTC spire?

WIGGLEWORTH Jun 23, 2016 2:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guiltyspark (Post 7483149)
What's thay very specific reason for the 1WTC spire?

Broadcasting equipment around the ring. And then the symbolic 1776 foot height.

NYguy Jun 23, 2016 4:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guiltyspark (Post 7483149)
What's thay very specific reason for the 1WTC spire?

That thread is in the archives. The battle over it is ancient history. It is basically symbolic of Liberty's raised torch. Now let's all discuss Central Park Tower.

tokilamockingbrd Jun 23, 2016 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 7483137)
Those towers were designed with spires, they weren't last minute additions to "pad stats". The Freedom Tower (which did not need a spire to achieve supertall status) has a spire for a very specific reason. This tower, as of now, has no spire. So foucus instead on what is rising here.

regardless of whether not it was last minute or planned the effect is the same. Let me asked you this. Which building is more physically dominating. Hudson 10 or NYT Tower? Stat sheet says NYT tower is 170 feet taller.

On this tower a spire would not necessarily give a big boost to how dominating it would be, however it could look cool and it would pad the stats. There are very few towers where the spire really enhances a tower's physical present (the ESB being a prime example where the spire really does).

I like spire's on certain buildings because they can enhances a tower's aesthetic. I honestly could care less about the stat sheet. To me One WTC's dominance has little to do with its height added by the spire but by the fact it is a very thick tall sleek well constructed building, if the spire was not counted it would not change this for me.

So for CPT I don't really care if it gets a spire, 1550 or 1775 is meaningless when the difference is a steel pole. I would support it if I saw the design and I thought it adds to the towers aesthetic appeal.

artspook Jun 24, 2016 1:48 AM

quibbling floor count and exact meters high, be damned . .
There's no doubt exactly what tower this is . .
The pillaged WTC downtown . .
with this big unavoidable midtown pile . .
resymbolizes the significance of our city . .

the best line above, is about the spire . .
" . . if . . it adds to the towers aesthetic appeal." . .
OMG, . . Does It f*ckin' . . Ever ! . .
Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill 's spire solution to NYC's tallest crown . .
was indeed, unequivocally, sublime . . It was no mere "steel pole" . .

That very particular tenacious version of this tower, . .
designed thoroughly asymmetrically, . . was like a writhing bolt of lightning . .
that fiercely jolted out from the sky . . and twisted right down into the ground . .
and thundered right back up again . .

This present listless, topless version, however, . .
is but a sad. misshapen embarrassment . .
as seen in the image of CPT's Chinese ad . . its utter deformed negligence . .
solicitously kowtowing to the monied foreign symbols on the page . .
Towering above all else . . this 1550 foot pig shamefacedly tries to hide . .
in the skyline of America's Media City, no less . .

Like the cheap Plastic-lookin' 157, . .
CPT is but another Gary bad-taste Barnett joke . .
Only this is the pinnacle of Manhattan . .
not funny . .

Crawford Jun 24, 2016 6:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael85225 (Post 7482018)
Yay, a true new supertall in New York with no cheating spire (besides 432 park ave).

There isn't even one NYC building planned or u/c that is a supertall due to a "cheating spire." And there are dozens of supertalls planned or u/c.

Guiltyspark Jun 24, 2016 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WIGGLEWORTH (Post 7483166)
Broadcasting equipment around the ring. And then the symbolic 1776 foot height.

Broadcasting equipment? Interesting.

Hemeroscopium Jun 25, 2016 8:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artspook (Post 7484377)
quibbling floor count and exact meters high, be damned . .
There's no doubt exactly what tower this is . .
The pillaged WTC downtown . .
with this big unavoidable midtown pile . .
resymbolizes the significance of our city . .

the best line above, is about the spire . .
" . . if . . it adds to the towers aesthetic appeal." . .
OMG, . . Does It f*ckin' . . Ever ! . .
Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill 's spire solution to NYC's tallest crown . .
was indeed, unequivocally, sublime . . It was no mere "steel pole" . .

That very particular tenacious version of this tower, . .
designed thoroughly asymmetrically, . . was like a writhing bolt of lightning . .
that fiercely jolted out from the sky . . and twisted right down into the ground . .
and thundered right back up again . .

This present listless, topless version, however, . .
is but a sad. misshapen embarrassment . .
as seen in the image of CPT's Chinese ad . . its utter deformed negligence . .
solicitously kowtowing to the monied foreign symbols on the page . .
Towering above all else . . this 1550 foot pig shamefacedly tries to hide . .
in the skyline of America's Media City, no less . .

Like the cheap Plastic-lookin' 157, . .
CPT is but another Gary bad-taste Barnett joke . .
Only this is the pinnacle of Manhattan . .
not funny . .




...Thank you so much for helping me every night to fall asleep!..

gttx Jun 25, 2016 3:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemeroscopium (Post 7485785)
...Thank you so much for helping me every night to fall asleep!..

I'd say this is some of artspook's finest work. Eloquent, accurate, and biting commentary.

". . its utter deformed negligence . .
solicitously kowtowing to the monied foreign symbols on the page . ."

gramsjdg Jun 27, 2016 3:22 AM

The lack of anything truly official from Extell at such a late stage is very puzzling (unprecedented even?), but I have high hopes that this strategy is intended to leave an open door for either a slight height increase (to put more space between it and 432/Steinway) or a real spire which will pass up the sham that is 1WTC's "spire"

UTEPman Jun 27, 2016 5:04 PM

^^ what artspook said.

Barnett is literally the best AND worst developer in Manhattan. He builds big and builds in bunches, but the towers he approves are visible blemishes on the skyline. One57 is a prime example of a tower where aesthetics is at the bottom of the priority list. Everything about it seems like a cheap afterthought.

This tower is just as banal, minus the spire. Just like a good set of aftermarket wheels can make an otherwise mundane car look great-- a well done spire could add equal value to this otherwise soul-less/corporate looking junk of glass...

tokilamockingbrd Jun 27, 2016 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UTEPman (Post 7487222)
^^ what artspook said.

Barnett is literally the best AND worst developer in Manhattan. He builds big and builds in bunches, but the towers he approves are visible blemishes on the skyline. One57 is a prime example of a tower where aesthetics is at the bottom of the priority list. Everything about it seems like a cheap afterthought.

This tower is just as banal, minus the spire. Just like a good set of aftermarket wheels can make an otherwise mundane car look great-- a well done spire could add equal value to this otherwise soul-less/corporate looking junk of glass...

Disagree. For one, I think One57 looks pretty good in person, never liked it in photos, but finally seeing it person last week changed my perspective.

This tower is interesting and tall. Its size will make it dominate, but has several interesting features. The cantilever is very interesting, it is one of the most pronounced I have seen in a traditional skyscraper. Ultimately it will come down to how the fa├žade turns out. If it looks cheap then I will agree with you.

I just think barnett tries to find a balance between design and function. Its not like he just builds straight up boxes which would be most economical, but he also does go all out like JDS in the style depart. I guess the designs are just "safe". The towers that turn out the worst are when developers go out and try to be creative and it fails. With a 1550 footer I prefer this.

NYguy Jun 28, 2016 4:15 PM

June 27, 2016



http://m6.i.pbase.com/o9/06/102706/1...062716141b.JPG



http://m7.i.pbase.com/o9/06/102706/1...062716145b.JPG



http://m8.i.pbase.com/o9/06/102706/1...062716150b.JPG



http://m0.i.pbase.com/o9/06/102706/1...062716151b.JPG



http://m1.i.pbase.com/o9/06/102706/1...062716156b.JPG



http://m2.i.pbase.com/o9/06/102706/1...062716156c.JPG

gramsjdg Jun 28, 2016 5:13 PM

It's really hard to gauge progress on this one...

tokilamockingbrd Jun 28, 2016 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramsjdg (Post 7488434)
It's really hard to gauge progress on this one...

the very 1st post on page 202 has a nice set of pictures from exactly one month ago. In the past month that start of cantilever (or whatever it is) has appear and we have got 3 to 4 more floors with on the core growth. The base area is getting more filled out.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.