SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   MEMPHIS | Development News (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177212)

Dr Nevergold Dec 18, 2014 5:56 PM

Aren't most IKEA stores suburban in nature? Its how they operate, that isn't news. When I lived in Portland, you had to take a long MAX ride out to the burbs to get to it, or drive of course. When I lived in Pittsburgh, you had to drive all the way out to bucolic Robinsonville. In Toronto, the region has 5 IKEA locations. All 5 of them are on very suburban lots in the middle of the burbs with copious amounts of parking.

Anyway... With that said, IKEA does bring one thing to Tennessee that is absolutely needed. Quality pay and full benefits. Since when does a Walmart or Target or Lowes other generic American big box store START their workers at $35,000 a year with full benefits and grow from there? There honestly aren't a lot of quality jobs for people in Tennessee no matter what the press are saying about jobs growth, so this is good news.

IKEA brings quality low cost furniture with workers rights. You can't beat that, and that's why its a win. This kind of high quality jobs is what we need more of in the land that doesn't believe in government standards. Any nordic European values we can import, the better. Memphis just got about 200 permanent jobs that won't be outsourced unless IKEA becomes incredibly unpopular. I'd buy their furniture not only because its awesome, but because you know you're funding a livable wage with benefits.

IKEA is also a great place to get living-wage supporting housewares. Need to setup a kitchen in that new apartment or whatever, IKEA is the perfect place to go get glasses, cups, pots, pans, baking dishes, and all kinds of other housewares. You'll never go to Target or Walmart again for that kind of stuff. It isn't just furniture. I hope that it does very well and people love it in the greater Memphis region.

James Owen Dec 18, 2014 6:15 PM

Report: H&M becomes next retailer headed to Memphis
Staff - Memphis Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...o-memphis.html

Quote:

According to an interview in National Real Estate Investor with the developer behind the coming Highland Row project near the University of Memphis, Josh Poag of Poag Shopping Centers, H&M has signed a lease with the Carriage Crossing shopping center in Collierville. There were no details regarding a possible opening date for the new store.

nashvol85 Dec 18, 2014 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomJ (Post 6849203)
RIGHT? The whole city is crazy right now.

Also, for beer fans out there Wiseacre is distributing to Nashville soon and will be canning a 4th year-round brew, the Gotta Get Up to Get Down Coffee/Milk Stout by the end of 2014/beginning of 2015. I think this qualifies as legit "Development News".

I already saw a few options on the menu today at 12th South Taproom. Any suggestions on favorite brews of theirs?

arkitekte Dec 19, 2014 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashvol85 (Post 6849746)
I already saw a few options on the menu today at 12th South Taproom. Any suggestions on favorite brews of theirs?

Their Ananda IPA is legit. Tiny Bomb is pretty good as well.

DoomJ Dec 19, 2014 1:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashvol85 (Post 6849746)

Tiny Bomb is my favorite. Any IPA they do is really good. Not a fan of the saison, but I don't really like those in general. Their Coffee Stout is decent, probably the 2nd best I've had (the Schlafly Coffee Stout is my favorite of that type), and next fall their octoberfest brew will spoil you- easily tops every other I've had.

Haven't had a chance yet to try much of the newer stuff. I know I had an Eternal General that was ok.

DoomJ Dec 19, 2014 5:19 PM

Harumph?

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...rizon_10000091

Quote:

“There’s a couple of things that I can’t reveal right now that are kind of in the pipeline that Memphis is a finalist for,” Haslam said. “I feel good about having a lot of stuff in the pipeline. Now, this deal’s like anything else, whatever goes in the front end of the pipeline doesn’t necessarily come out the back.”

Haslam said Memphis “has been really competitive” on various fronts recently, citing the retention of Cummins Diesel as an example.

“I’ll say this from where I sit: Memphis and Shelby County have been great to work with on that front in terms of the two mayors working together, (Greater Memphis) Chamber,” he said. “I know people feel like gosh, things sometimes feel dysfunctional here, but on my end from the economic development side, I have nothing but good things to say.”

VSRJ Dec 19, 2014 9:23 PM

ONE BEALE IS BACK!

http://www.carlislecorp.com/one-beale/

Quote:

“One Beale will be an iconic building for the city of Memphis, one that reflects where our city has been and where we are going. People and cities define themselves by their buildings, and One Beale will reshape the Memphis urban experience.”

-Gene Carlisle
Chairman & Founder
http://i.imgur.com/dPTiAqN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iLq02zf.jpg

MEMFLY Dec 19, 2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSRJ (Post 6850830)

I like it

James Owen Dec 19, 2014 10:46 PM

^ The redesign is doable. At least we are still getting something in the 30+ story range judging by the first picture (even if it's just one tower this time). If One Beale ever gets off the ground some time next year, hopefully the two adjacent lots will follow down the road.

Wayward Memphian Dec 19, 2014 11:12 PM

Will love watching it rise every time l cross the River coming back home.

:cheers::cheers:

arkitekte Dec 19, 2014 11:24 PM

I don't like it as much as the original, but I'll take it. 350' - 400' or so will look good at that location. Looking forward to seeing more information on the design as well as additional renderings and a few elevations as they come out.

VSRJ, can you post the new renderings in the One Beale thread?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=211637

VSRJ Dec 19, 2014 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6850969)
I don't like it as much as the original, but I'll take it. 350' - 400' or so will look good at that location. Looking forward to seeing more information on the design as well as additional renderings and a few elevations as they come out.

VSRJ, can you post the new renderings in the One Beale thread?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=211637

Done.

BnaBreaker Dec 19, 2014 11:54 PM

NICE! I like it!! So happy this is back on for Memphis...and it's a thousand times nicer looking than that Horizon (?) Apartment Tower further down the river.

arkitekte Dec 19, 2014 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BnaBreaker (Post 6851009)
NICE! I like it!! So happy this is back on for Memphis...and it's a thousand times nicer looking than that Horizon (?) Apartment Tower further down the river.

No doubt. Luckily for everyone the new owner of the Horizon is changing various elements of the facade (mainly just paint, but that's gonna do wonders for it).

Dr Nevergold Dec 20, 2014 12:17 AM

Very nice. You know, if Memphis only built a couple buildings in the 400-600ft range, it'd really stand out since the bones of a real city already linger beneath in downtown.

Huntsvillenative Dec 20, 2014 2:22 AM

Why was my post about Memphians having to pay for the new Graceland Hotel deleted? Why is everyone ignoring this?

Huntsvillenative Dec 20, 2014 2:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Nevergold (Post 6851039)
Very nice. You know, if Memphis only built a couple buildings in the 400-600ft range, it'd really stand out since the bones of a real city already linger beneath in downtown.

Memphis' skyline looks more like Little Rock's. Small with not much density at all for a city among the top15 largest cities in size. There needs to be at least one 40-50 story tower and a few more the size of the proposed 30-story One Beale tower to even start to be in comparison to Nashville's growing downtown skyline that is starting to resemble Atlanta's.

arkitekte Dec 20, 2014 2:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative (Post 6851176)
Memphis' skyline looks more like Little Rock's. Small with not much density at all for a city among the top15 largest cities in size. There needs to be at least one 40-50 story tower and a few more the size of the proposed 30-story One Beale tower to even start to be in comparison to Nashville's growing downtown skyline that is starting to resemble Atlanta's.

Memphis isn't in the top 15 cities as far as population in the U.S. City population doesn't equate a dense, tall skyline either; metro size sometimes does, but not in all cases. Nashville's skyline is becoming impressive, especially with Paramount and the proposed Marriott, but it looks nothing at all like Atlanta's.

BnaBreaker Dec 20, 2014 3:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative (Post 6851176)

Huh? Not much density? The skyline of Memphis is all density. The height thing I'll give you, but density? Also, I've got to say that stuff like this irks me. We're all skyscraper geeks here obviously, or else we wouldn't be here. But stuff like you just said is truly, something only a skyscraper geek would say. No city "needs" a skyline of a certain height or size or density or level of modernity etc. etc...the skyline is all aesthetics and has nothing to do with how great a city is. You being from Huntsville of all places, should know this.

Huntsvillenative Dec 20, 2014 4:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BnaBreaker (Post 6851228)
Huh? Not much density? The skyline of Memphis is all density. The height thing I'll give you, but density? Also, I've got to say that stuff like this irks me. We're all skyscraper geeks here obviously, or else we wouldn't be here. But stuff like you just said is truly, something only a skyscraper geek would say. No city "needs" a skyline of a certain height or size or density or level of modernity etc. etc...the skyline is all aesthetics and has nothing to do with how great a city is. You being from Huntsville of all places, should know this.

Sorry, wrong use of the word. I was thinking it meant height and size. Which it doesn't.