SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   MEMPHIS | Development News (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177212)

DoomJ Oct 9, 2014 2:44 PM

Here's a link to yesterday's article in the MBJ about the first permit being pulled for Highland Row:

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...first-20m.html

kingchef Oct 12, 2014 6:14 AM

"...movement east will only continue...", as the article regarding about the 165 million is revealed in the media. of course to be bold enough to say that more high-end and high dollar housing approaching 500 million, as well as high end shopping and dining. recently, while in chicago, i was told that a number of three of the best department stores in the u.s. was headed for this particular area. that is great for shelby county, but i reckon we will have to knock some of these self-centered developers in the head, stomp on, and cut their hearts out w/ a samovar to get them to give up their greed, while memphis seemingly continues to drag the same old lines about progress and things are changing. and, what i can't believe is the apparent building structure is aluminum. that is sad.

and, is one beale on again, or off again. citizens in this city have so little to hold on as truth, when building announcements are revealed, but it really is easy to see why. i would like to say, the one area that has steadily been worked on and continues to come to fruition happens to be the south main district. we need an iron-fisted leader,
who could come into memphis and see its past, its present, the recent work, and the
new modern memphis w/ a significantly changed skyline.

Chris Warren Oct 13, 2014 9:12 PM

New owner plans complete redesign for 16-story Horizon

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608...d=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Memphis Business Journal:
Quote:

After an extensive interior redesign over the rest of this year, the new owner of the 16-story condominium tower The Horizon in Downtown Memphis will begin construction.
Hattiesburg, Mississippi-based Dawn Properties LLC, which just bought the unfinished luxury condo tower building at 717 Riverside Drive for $13.5 million, will begin delivering units in late August or early September after "completing redesigning the interior," said Walter Thrash, principal of Dawn Properties.
Thrash, whose family owns and operates the multifamily development company, declined to disclose a project cost estimate until he knows the extent of the work to the building, which stalled during the recession.
The family was drawn to the project because of how close it was to being completed and because of all of the development in the South Main neighborhood of Downtown, he said.
"I really do believe there's demand for class A condos in Downtown Memphis," he said. "We were ecstatic we found a project we could deliver quickly to the market."
The site also includes land for the development of 141 additional high-rise units and 54 terrace homes, but Thrash said that part of the project won't begin until after his family is able to gauge the success of the first tower.
In the existing building are five different floor plans averaging in size from 1,498-1,590 square feet, with covered parking and indoor and outdoor pools, according to a release
I Wonder does he plan on finishing the Second Tower which is the proposed tallest.

MEMFLY Oct 13, 2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Warren (Post 6767024)

I Wonder does he plan on finishing the Second Tower which is the proposed tallest.

From the article it sounds like he is still planning on constructing the 2nd tower. I was just expecting the first to be finished.

James Owen Oct 14, 2014 3:22 AM

Quote:

You're thinking of One Beale, which the Carlisle family is working on, albeit at a snail's pace.

The original plan for The Horizon called for twin 16-story towers. Whether or not the second tower will look the same as or different from the first remains to be seen. Hopefully, in the interim, they do something about the parking garage fronting the property, which was supposed to be enclosed and surrounded by the aforementioned terrace homes in the article.

Uptowner Oct 14, 2014 4:29 AM

Quote:

What was the original idea or theme behind the design of these towers?

VSRJ Oct 14, 2014 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uptowner (Post 6767356)
What was the original idea or theme behind the design of these towers?

I'm not sure, but I'm not a fan. In fact, it's one of my least favorite buildings downtown. It looks like it belongs somewhere along the Gulf Coast. One of the biggest problems I have with it are the sections painted black, which for the longest time I assumed were unfinished.

Hopefully the new owners will do something with the exterior -- even if it's just a new coat of paint.

Chris Warren Oct 14, 2014 10:20 PM

What about any news of the discussed Hard Rock Hotel Memphis????

Chris Warren Oct 14, 2014 11:00 PM

I Know this is a little late but

Posh $165M retirement community planned for Collierville

Quote:

A new 37-acre retirement community being developed in Collierville will be the third largest employer in the suburb with 325 employees caring for more than 500 residents.

Retirement Companies of America is developing The Farms at Bailey Station as the sister community to Kirby Pines Retirement Community in southeast Memphis.

The $165 million project includes a 10-acre medical campus that will accommodate outpatient and inpatient care, a pharmacy, 40 assisted living apartments, 23 memory care suites for Alzheimer's patients and 60 skilled nursing suites. A UT Medical Group physician will likely serve as the medical director, says Michelle Trammell-Vincent, senior vice president of RCA.

The construction is happening in stages with custom-designed Garden Homes — ranging from 1,500 to 3,000 square feet — beginning next spring. Twelve of the available 63 homes have been claimed.

Construction of a 66,000-square-foot clubhouse and 266 independent living apartments will begin in late 2016.

Other amenities include seven dining facilities, a movie theater, a performing arts center and a luxury spa.

Like the facility at Kirby Pines, residents will enter The Farms on Life Care lease, a one-time entrance fee that covers the whole spectrum of care available.

Dalhoff Thomas Design Studio is the landscape architect for the overall development. Michael Walker is the architect for the garden homes.

Landon Homes will be constructing the Garden Homes. Linkous Construction Co. Inc. will be constructing the Clubhouse and the apartments.

“Our board recommended another site further east (from Kirby Pines). That area is rapidly growing and people will continue to migrate east,” said Trammell-Vincent.

A model center is currently open for prospective residents. Call 901-328-4850 for more details.
Link to the Slideshow http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/g...anned-for.html

arkitekte Oct 14, 2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSRJ (Post 6767965)
I'm not sure, but I'm not a fan. In fact, it's one of my least favorite buildings downtown. It looks like it belongs somewhere along the Gulf Coast. One of the biggest problems I have with it are the sections painted black, which for the longest time I assumed were unfinished.

Hopefully the new owners will do something with the exterior -- even if it's just a new coat of paint.

I agree. It's hard to look at...something about the massing doesn't sit right with me either, but at the point I'm just glad to see those units coming online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Warren (Post 6768542)
What about any news of the discussed Hard Rock Hotel Memphis????

How far did that actually go? I know that we talked about it quite a bit here, but was that ever actually a thing other than Hard Rock saying that Memphis would possibly be discussed for a hotel?

Chris Warren Oct 15, 2014 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6768599)
How far did that actually go? I know that we talked about it quite a bit here, but was that ever actually a thing other than Hard Rock saying that Memphis would possibly be discussed for a hotel?

Hard Rock had said that they weren't opposed to the idea, and the City couldn't confirm or deny if it would go threw but they did say that Hard Rock was serious about enlarging its business in Downtown Memphis. The City also really wants to get the hotel so they could make the site have a combo of a museum, café, and hotel so it would be a HOT Intersection. But I think that buying that Tri-State Bank building behind it would make enough room for a ''comfortable'' hotel.

Chris Warren Oct 15, 2014 12:53 AM

Apartments approved for South Front

http://mediaassets.commercialappeal.....0_640_480.jpg

Commercial Appeal:
Quote:

A $17.8 million apartment and commercial development at 266 S. Front won a property tax freeze from Downtown Memphis officials Tuesday.

Consisting of 145 apartments and about 8,000 square feet of commercial space, 266 Memphis Lofts will bring new residents and economic activity to a block of the South Main district that has largely been bypassed by a recent wave of revitalization, officials said.

The Center City Revenue Finance Corp. approved a 10-year tax abatement that will save developers an estimated $2.6 million in Memphis and Shelby County real estate taxes. Downtown Memphis Commission staff said without the abatement, the project would be dead in the water because it wouldn’t qualify for bank financing.

Developers Vince Smith Jr., Robert E. Mallory and John H. Dicken Jr. propose to tear down an office building at the southeast corner of Front and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and build two three-story apartment buildings and a two-story commercial building on the cleared, 1.7-acre site of the office building and 140-space parking lot.

The building once was the headquarters for Hohenberg Brothers Co., for decades a prominent Memphis cotton merchant. The firm was acquired by Minneapolis-based Cargill in 1975. Cargill later relocated its cotton operations to an office park outside Memphis.

The vast majority of apartments will be one-bedroom units, including some micro-apartments of about 450 square feet.

Renaissance Group is project architect. Project completion is expected by February 2017.

The new construction comes amid a flurry of interest in vacant or underutilized buildings on a stretch of Front perhaps best known as home to Gus’s Fried Chicken.

Smith has other residential projects underway, and D. Canale has announced plans to convert an industrial building at 301 S. Front into the Old Dominick Distillery.

Chris Warren Oct 17, 2014 4:36 AM

[SIZE="5"Memphis being considered for R&B museum][/SIZE]

http://wmctv.images.worldnow.com/images/5081855_G.jpg

http://wmctv.images.worldnow.com/images/5081856_G.jpg

Quote:

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) -
Historic Beale Street is the iconic birthplace of blues and home for some of the world's most legendary musicians, and now Memphis is in the running for a new museum dedicated to the history of rhythm and blues.

The Rhythm and Blues Music Hall of Fame wants to build their new museum in a city that's influenced the history of R&B music.

Memphis is in the running with four other cities: Detroit, Chicago, Nashville, and Jackson, Mississippi. Founder LaMont Robinson says the museum would spotlight musicians like Aretha Franklin and Bobby Rush.

Some of the exhibits would include the Blues Music Experience Center, which is dedicated to the music history of each city, and the Hall of Fame to honor inductees, like B. B. King.

The museum is also expected to have a library, 500 seat theater, and a juke-joint style soul food restaurant.

Robinson believes the museum could draw 250,000 visitors to the city each year.

There's no word on when a decision could be made or where the museum would be built.

arkitekte Oct 17, 2014 10:47 PM

^^^Pray that Nashville won't get the R&B Museum over Memphis or some Memphians might go into full protest against Nashville. :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Warren (Post 6768706)
Hard Rock had said that they weren't opposed to the idea, and the City couldn't confirm or deny if it would go threw but they did say that Hard Rock was serious about enlarging its business in Downtown Memphis. The City also really wants to get the hotel so they could make the site have a combo of a museum, café, and hotel so it would be a HOT Intersection. But I think that buying that Tri-State Bank building behind it would make enough room for a ''comfortable'' hotel.

I gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Warren (Post 6768725)
Apartments approved for South Front

http://mediaassets.commercialappeal.....0_640_480.jpg

Commercial Appeal:

These are pretty sharp. I'm glad to see a design like this rather than the others right down the street at the corner of Florida and Georgia (I think that's the right corner).

arkitekte Oct 17, 2014 10:51 PM

I'm out of the loop now that I'm in San Antonio, but I still think that we'll hear something soon from Carlisle about One Beale. The downtown condo market appears to be somewhat back to what it was pre recession (apartments are completely past that point) and with The Horizon getting somewhat back on track with their condos or apartments I think that Carlisle will roll out with something. I don't particularly think One Beale will be as big/tall as it was before, but I expect something.

Chris Warren Oct 17, 2014 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6772804)
I'm out of the loop now that I'm in San Antonio, but I still think that we'll hear something soon from Carlisle about One Beale. The downtown condo market appears to be somewhat back to what it was pre recession (apartments are completely past that point) and with The Horizon getting somewhat back on track with their condos or apartments I think that Carlisle will roll out with something. I don't particularly think One Beale will be as big/tall as it was before, but I expect something.

If they want a business to lease inside the class A office they try to persuade Memphis based Lipscomb & Pitts Insurance. They may want to move considering they are ''kind of'' in Orange Mound.

arkitekte Oct 18, 2014 1:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Warren (Post 6772861)
If they want a business to lease inside the class A office they try to persuade Memphis based Lipscomb & Pitts Insurance. They may want to move considering they are ''kind of'' in Orange Mound.

I thought they were on Union Extended...that's also kind of Chickasaw Gardens...

Chris Warren Oct 18, 2014 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6772950)
I thought they were on Union Extended...that's also kind of Chickasaw Gardens...

Yeah they are but, if they consider leasing in One Beale they could get the nice tall riverfront view with brand new office space and we may start seeing renderings and more news and more height.

BnaBreaker Oct 18, 2014 6:23 PM

According to that R&B Hall of Fame's facebook page it has apparently been narrowed down to Memphis, Detroit, and Birmingham...either Memphis or Detroit would be more than deserving...not sure I see the Birmingham connection.

Also, I agree...the Horizon Tower is really rough looking. Not to mention at street level it's a disaster.

arkitekte Oct 18, 2014 8:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Warren (Post 6773447)
Yeah they are but, if they consider leasing in One Beale they could get the nice tall riverfront view with brand new office space and we may start seeing renderings and more news and more height.

For sure. An office relocation would get a larger One Beale rolling a whole lot quicker than residential, imo. With Carlisle courting Raymond James and then RJ deciding to stay put, I think we'll see a One Beale phase released that's similar to what we say 5 or 6 years ago...mainly residential w/ ground level retail that's around 12 or so floors. If and when the time comes for office space that will be the larger tower, around 15-20 floors.

I think it would be financially best and best for the office space to have two completely different towers.