SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Coldrsx Jun 10, 2021 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9307584)
Is anyone surprised? This type of thing has become normalized at the CEO level... win or lose, senior corporate execs get paid no matter what.

Company loses a pile of money, get government bailouts, lay off staff, etc.... it all sucks, but nothing is stopping that C-suite occupant from getting their six figure bonus.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.:cool:

hollywoodcory Jun 10, 2021 3:21 PM

WestJet is finally responding to AC's recent winter changes.

The 789 is now scheduled on the following routes:
YYC-CUN/PVR/OGG
YYZ-CUN/MBJ

Both YYC-OGG & HNL are both scheduled daily from December. I don't see any new routes loaded yet.

A few routes got some general frequency increases as well.

jamincan Jun 10, 2021 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 9307669)
Don't hate the player, hate the game.:cool:

Can I hate the player and the game?

esquire Jun 10, 2021 4:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbt (Post 9307613)
Navigating the last year in a way that the company remains viable was not a trivial act. That said, they also should have understood the public optics of the situation, and that impact to the brand, and taken their bonus at a future date (with interest).

I gather that the execs in question are already earning a salary and aren't performing their roles out of the goodness of their hearts?

When it's business as usual, companies can do what they want. But when the government has to step in to save your ass, a little discretion may be in order. And that's what happened here... it took government to give AC management a little slap on the wrist to get them to back down since they obviously didn't demonstrate very good judgment here.

hollywoodcory Jun 10, 2021 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9307675)
WestJet is finally responding to AC's recent winter changes.

The 789 is now scheduled on the following routes:
YYC-CUN/PVR/OGG
YYZ-CUN/MBJ

Both YYC-OGG & HNL are both scheduled daily from December. I don't see any new routes loaded yet.

A few routes got some general frequency increases as well.

https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2021-0...ii-this-winter

Also adding YYC-LIH and KOA too!
YVR-OGG getting the 789 as well.

J.OT13 Jun 11, 2021 5:55 AM

Some great shots from Twitter showing the Ottawa International Airport (first two pics), hotels and the EY Centre (last two pics). In all images, you can see the new airport link O-Train guideway, with Airport and Uplands stations.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3hw5-rV...pg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3hw5-rU...pg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3iDCG6X...pg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3iDCG3X...pg&name=medium
https://twitter.com/BenYOW2/status/1403015361298063361

hollywoodcory Jun 11, 2021 3:52 PM

Perhaps third times the charm? WS has again requested and obtained slots for DXB for W21. This time they requested 5x weekly (which is what the bilateral allows).

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/up...ion-Report.pdf

The report lists the destination as 'ZZF' so still no firm information on routing. Safe to assume YYZ with a outside chance of YYC.

They also got denied LHR slots again, so they made the right choice in not using the temporary ones they got. (Looking at you JetBlue.)

Dominion301 Jun 11, 2021 8:40 PM

Today Flair inaugurated service to YOW and put their 1st MAX into revenue service: https://globalnews.ca/news/7938965/f...oeing-737-max/

Dominion301 Jun 11, 2021 8:45 PM

Swoop this winter will add that long-awaited 10th frame from WS mainline and will operate the following schedule: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...857083435.html

hollywoodcory Jun 12, 2021 3:17 AM

WS filed its July 5-August 4 schedule and its a pretty aggressive increase in international flying, particularly from YYC where they jump from 3 non-stops to 8 outside of Canada.

YYC-LGW 2x weekly
YYC-CUN 1x weekly
YYC-PVR 1x weekly
YYC-LAX 3x weekly
YYC-LAS 3x weekly
YYC-PHX 2x weekly
YYC-ATL 2x weekly
YYC-PSP 2x weekly

YYZ-LGW 2x weekly
YYZ-CUN 1x weekly
YYZ-MBJ 1x weekly
YYZ-KIN 1x weekly
YYZ-MCO 1x weekly

Also YVR-OGG appears to be resuming mid-July 1x weekly.

Domestic appears to be mostly the same as what's scheduled from June 25th.

hollywoodcory Jun 14, 2021 1:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9309550)
WS filed its July 5-August 4 schedule and its a pretty aggressive increase in international flying, particularly from YYC where they jump from 3 non-stops to 8 outside of Canada.

YYC-LGW 2x weekly
YYC-CUN 1x weekly
YYC-PVR 1x weekly
YYC-LAX 3x weekly
YYC-LAS 3x weekly
YYC-PHX 2x weekly
YYC-ATL 2x weekly
YYC-PSP 2x weekly

YYZ-LGW 2x weekly
YYZ-CUN 1x weekly
YYZ-MBJ 1x weekly
YYZ-KIN 1x weekly
YYZ-MCO 1x weekly

Also YVR-OGG appears to be resuming mid-July 1x weekly.

Domestic appears to be mostly the same as what's scheduled from June 25th.

Additionally there is:
YYC-SFO from July 23 2x weekly
YVR-LAS from July 25 2x weekly

On the domestic front I see YYC-YYT & YLL are scheduled from late July. I believe this would mean by mid-Summer WS will have restored its full YYC domestic network (by destination) other than YQB.

thewave46 Jun 14, 2021 1:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9308847)
Perhaps third times the charm? WS has again requested and obtained slots for DXB for W21. This time they requested 5x weekly (which is what the bilateral allows).

I guess they can use their codeshare with Emirates to help fill flights, as I can't imagine there's huge O&D to Dubai itself.

As you mention, Westjet wants slots at LHR and probably AMS. If they want to get into LHR, they may be waiting awhile if they don't want to pony up. AMS would be a good fit if the number of flight movements there increased - Westjet could hoover up those KLM passengers out of YYC and YEG.

BenYOW Jun 14, 2021 2:34 PM

Air Canada / Air Canada Cargo has provided additional information on the commencement of dedicated Boeing 767 freighter operations. Highlights:
  • The first 767 freighters will enter service in October 2021
  • Initial routes in October 2021 will be from Toronto Pearson International Airport to Miami, Quito, Lima, Mexico City and Guadalajara
  • In early 2022, additional destinations will include Halifax, St. John’s, Madrid and Frankfurt as more aircraft enter service
  • Two 767 freighters will be in service by the end of 2021, with two more aircraft to follow in 2022
News Release

hollywoodcory Jun 14, 2021 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewave46 (Post 9310870)
I guess they can use their codeshare with Emirates to help fill flights, as I can't imagine there's huge O&D to Dubai itself.

As you mention, Westjet wants slots at LHR and probably AMS. If they want to get into LHR, they may be waiting awhile if they don't want to pony up. AMS would be a good fit if the number of flight movements there increased - Westjet could hoover up those KLM passengers out of YYC and YEG.

WS just announced YYC-AMS this morning. 2x weekly. Starting August 5.

WS20 YYC 20:55 - 13:30+1 AMS 789 47
WS21 AMS 15:30 - 16:15 YYC 789 15

esquire Jun 14, 2021 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9310987)
WS just announced YYC-AMS this morning. 2x weekly. Starting August 5.

WS20 YYC 20:55 - 13:30+1 AMS 789 47
WS21 AMS 15:30 - 16:15 YYC 789 15

Are LGW and AMS the only European routes that WS has confirmed to be operating/restarting? I have a pile of credits I want to use, so I need to know my options :D

hollywoodcory Jun 14, 2021 3:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9310991)
Are LGW and AMS the only European routes that WS has confirmed to be operating/restarting? I have a pile of credits I want to use, so I need to know my options :D

CDG is also currently scheduled in August as well, but its TBD if that will operate.

thewave46 Jun 14, 2021 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9310987)
WS just announced YYC-AMS this morning. 2x weekly. Starting August 5.

WS20 YYC 20:55 - 13:30+1 AMS 789 47
WS21 AMS 15:30 - 16:15 YYC 789 15

Well then. I was under the impression that AMS had restrictions on slots, but I guess that's been lifted.

I'm curious if KLM decides to stick it out and compete or Westjet takes the market. I strongly suspect that it was Westjet's Gatwick flight that killed British Airways flights to Calgary, so we'll see if that holds true for this case.

casper Jun 14, 2021 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewave46 (Post 9310994)
Well then. I was under the impression that AMS had restrictions on slots, but I guess that's been lifted.

I'm curious if KLM decides to stick it out and compete or Westjet takes the market. I strongly suspect that it was Westjet's Gatwick flight that killed British Airways flights to Calgary, so we'll see if that holds true for this case.

I would say a combination of Air Canada, WestJet and KLM. There is only so many premium passengers traveling between Calgary and Europe or connecting onward to the middle east. Air Canada and KLM have a good percentage of that. I suspect the premium cabin is what BA is chasing after. Then WestJet comes along adding quite a bit of economy seats and there is not much reason for BA to stick around.

hollywoodcory Jun 14, 2021 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewave46 (Post 9310994)
Well then. I was under the impression that AMS had restrictions on slots, but I guess that's been lifted.

I'm curious if KLM decides to stick it out and compete or Westjet takes the market. I strongly suspect that it was Westjet's Gatwick flight that killed British Airways flights to Calgary, so we'll see if that holds true for this case.

The WS service is currently only seasonal. I'd imagine KLM will stick it out for now.

Seems odd they wouldn't also go after FCO (which they already announced) with Italy allowing fully vaccinated travelers.

thewave46 Jun 14, 2021 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9311034)
I would say a combination of Air Canada, WestJet and KLM. There is only so many premium passengers traveling between Calgary and Europe or connecting onward to the middle east. Air Canada and KLM have a good percentage of that. I suspect the premium cabin is what BA is chasing after. Then WestJet comes along adding quite a bit of economy seats and there is not much reason for BA to stick around.

You're probably right.

AC and BA were competing for the premium passengers to London itself.

BA, AC (via Frankfurt on Lufthansa) and KLM were taking care of connections to points further onwards.

With the entry of Westjet, AC and Westjet were duking it out for the economy passengers.

It wasn't sustainable for BA and they could probably use their limited Heathrow slots on a better destination.

Anyway, I'm curious how the relationship between Westjet and KLM works, as they codeshare on flights. Does KLM cede the flying to lower-cost Westjet over the long run? Westjet wants to build itself into an international airline, so I eventually could see a daily service to AMS.

The big European airlines have been downsizing their services to Canada outside of the major airports (YYZ/YUL/YVR) for some time now. Maybe KLM will try and continue to buck the trend?


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.