SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Basketball in Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219504)

megadude Jun 14, 2019 12:01 PM

I’ll see about my office in about 25 minutes but train is lighter than usual even for a Friday. Usually only get this close to a holiday.

http://i64.tinypic.com/dwcdqr.jpg

megadude Jun 14, 2019 12:28 PM

Question to the people in other markets. Can you buy Raps gear in local stores? In pics of other Jurassic parks there’s like two people in the crowd with the gear on. If only the shops close by had time to stock up.

Can you see local retailers stocking up heavily now and see at least kids buying it up?

SignalHillHiker Jun 14, 2019 12:34 PM

My Dad gave me a Raptors hat and a Canadian flag golf ball this winter. He's trolling me. No idea where he got it but I assume here.

megadude Jun 14, 2019 12:45 PM

Jesus Christ. So the parade is on Monday going up University and my office is on University and King. But I have an appt. in the middle of the day at home.

I would have walked the route and then gone up to the meeting room and snapped some pics and rejoin.

Had tonnes of fun following TFC's parade, but I'm gonna miss out this time.

If only Nick Nurse didn't call that boneheaded timeout last game we could have had the parade today. Still happy though.

MonctonRad Jun 14, 2019 12:50 PM

Congratulations to Toronto for a great victory!

From one championship basketball city (Moncton Magic) to another (Toronto Raptors), good work and a job well done. :tup:

There was a viewing party at the Avenir Centre here last night. They had the game on the jumbotron. My youngest son went, but I have no idea how well it was attended. I was in bed when he got home.

He wore his Raptors jersey. I got it for him way back in the Vince Carter era when it reached down to his ankles. It barely fits him now, but it has been a good luck charm all through this playoff run. Almost every time he wears it, the Raptors win.......... :)

JHikka Jun 14, 2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 8605296)
There was a viewing party at the Avenir Centre here last night. They had the game on the jumbotron. My youngest son went, but I have no idea how well it was attended. I was in bed when he got home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by megadude (Post 8605282)
Question to the people in other markets. Can you buy Raps gear in local stores?

Yes, same as any other sport.

Acajack Jun 14, 2019 1:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 8605236)
Congratulations, TO! :)

EDIT: There are sssooo many people not in the office today. Dozens, maybe hundreds. It feels like working on a holiday.

You work in an office in St John's where "hundreds" of people skipped work today because of the Raptors?

MonctonRad Jun 14, 2019 1:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8605316)
You work in an office in St John's where "hundreds" of people skipped work today because of the Raptors?

Well, with the time difference, the game wouldn't have been over until after 1AM.

Also, SHH is a civil servant. :) :haha: :runaway:

HomeInMyShoes Jun 14, 2019 1:29 PM

Congratulations Toronto.

Acajack Jun 14, 2019 1:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 8605317)
Well, with the time difference, the game wouldn't have been over until after 1AM.

Also, SHH is a civil servant. :) :haha: :runaway:

Even so...

MonctonRad Jun 14, 2019 1:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8605327)
Even so...

It's also Newfoundland.........

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

SignalHillHiker Jun 14, 2019 1:40 PM

Man the drone videos of DT TO on BlogTO making the rounds on Facebook are amazing.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...id=30843680008

http://i66.tinypic.com/flwyg4.jpg

EDIT: Acajack, hundreds could be a stretch but this place is EMPTY.

le calmar Jun 14, 2019 1:42 PM

Is it because of basketball though? I noticed traffic was lighter than usual this morning and a few of my coworkers are not working today, but it has more to do with the combination of today being a Friday and the progressive shift to a summer schedule.

JHikka Jun 14, 2019 1:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le calmar (Post 8605340)
Is it because of basketball though? I noticed traffic was lighter than usual this morning and a few of my coworkers are not working today, but it has more to do with the combination of today being a Friday and the progressive shift to a summer schedule.

Half of my friends in Toronto were out until 2/3AM last night because of the game. It's because of basketball. :haha:

le calmar Jun 14, 2019 1:55 PM

^ No doubt it's because of basketball in Toronto, but here in Ottawa it probably just part of the reason. But I have no doubt some people called in sick today because of the game even here.

JHikka Jun 14, 2019 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le calmar (Post 8605359)
^ No doubt it's because of basketball in Toronto, but here in Ottawa it probably just part of the reason. But I have no doubt some people called in sick today because of the game even here.

Oh, you're talking about Ottawa.

Ottawa Fridays in the summer? Public servants have taken it off because they can. The only day of the week where everyone actually works here is Wednesdays. Between Parliament being out and university being done summers in Ottawa are deeeadddd.

Still, plenty of my friends here in Ottawa were also out late because of basketball. It just compounds what is normally a pretty slow day anyway. Any excuse for a three day weekend.

SignalHillHiker Jun 14, 2019 2:12 PM

Even the fucking Avalon Mall was busy last night :haha: That's crazy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AllisonKi...81377047023616

kool maudit Jun 14, 2019 2:31 PM

Quote from my Torontonian bro-in-law after the game: "FUCK TOMORROW!"

SignalHillHiker Jun 14, 2019 2:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool maudit (Post 8605410)
Quote from my Torontonian bro-in-law after the game: "FUCK TOMORROW!"

If Toronto were a Balkan city, there would already be a giant banner strung across Younge reading "Fuck the city that's never won an NBA championship!"

Acajack Jun 14, 2019 2:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le calmar (Post 8605340)

There is no observable Raptors hangover at my office in Gatineau this morning. Everyone who would normally be here is here. Parking lot is filled to near-capacity.

Though given all the hype I am pretty sure a majority of the men here and a chunk of the women watched at least some of the game last night.