SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

spoonman Jul 7, 2007 6:24 PM

I like it because it has personality(not because its attractive), unlike many of the buildings we've seen lately. It reminds me of the old Sands tower in vegas from the rat pack days. If it was a hotel, I'd stay there...too bad it's condos...lol. The same architect did Emerald Plaza which gives this project a big boost in terms of credibility and follow through. I hope they don't change it too much but I'd like to see what they do with it.

spoonman Jul 7, 2007 6:25 PM

BTW, does anyone know the total height? It's supposed to be 40 floors..

sandiego_urban Jul 7, 2007 6:46 PM

^^ According to CCDC, but it could change after revision:

Shapery Park Tower (12th and A Hotel Partners) – Centre City Development Permit for a 39-story (407 feet) building with 138 residential units and approximately 2,500 square feet of commercial space located at the northeast corner of Eleventh Avenue and A Street. This project is pending completion of revised drawings – Core.

FYI - The ocean water temps are in the low 70's these days. I'm heading to the beach now and so should all of you - SURF'S UP!!! :)

Dale Jul 7, 2007 7:06 PM

The current design would look good in, say, Cairo.

spoonman Jul 7, 2007 7:46 PM

Looks like we may be getting yet another Marriott. I pulled this article from CCDC http://www.ccdc.com/events/resources...%2010%2007.pdf

In total this would make 7 Marriotts in DTSD alone. Because this is dubbed a "Convention Hotel" is makes me curious how large it will be.

bmfarley Jul 7, 2007 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 2939582)
The current design would look good in, say, Cairo.

Or, Bagdad or Tehran. I'd suggest Dubai, but it's too short.

bmfarley Jul 7, 2007 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 2939614)
Looks like we may be getting yet another Marriott. I pulled this article from CCDC http://www.ccdc.com/events/resources...%2010%2007.pdf

In total this would make 7 Marriotts in DTSD alone. Because this is dubbed a "Convention Hotel" is makes me curious how large it will be.

This project is very interesting! It's part of the Ballpark Village Master Plan of the area that was worked on by the Padre's owner. Although it's a Marriot Hotel, I am kinda betting it's proposed to be developed by him or his development arm. It should incorporate the ped bridge over Harbor into its design.

Derek Jul 7, 2007 11:59 PM

Quote:

What about the Marriott that's supposed to go up on Fifth?:hell:

bushman61988 Jul 8, 2007 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 2939541)
I like it because it has personality(not because its attractive), unlike many of the buildings we've seen lately. It reminds me of the old Sands tower in vegas from the rat pack days. If it was a hotel, I'd stay there...too bad it's condos...lol. The same architect did Emerald Plaza which gives this project a big boost in terms of credibility and follow through. I hope they don't change it too much but I'd like to see what they do with it.

I completely agree!

I'm tired of these architects half-assin it these days with their balcony-infested, exposed concrete, gray towers. At least here's something different that you dont see anywhere else. And for once, there's an interesting top to the tower...

But i then again, that long "flesh colored vein" definitely needs to be changed some way.

Derek Jul 8, 2007 1:23 AM

^Along with the base! That's one of the ugliest bases I've seen!

bmfarley Jul 8, 2007 2:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2940073)
^Along the base! That's one of the ugliest bases I've seen!

Sometimes I think it is a ploy... propose something ridiculous... and the 2nd effort or replacement will be much more readily accepted. Perhaps that is what is going on here.

Derek Jul 8, 2007 4:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2940134)
Sometimes I think it is a ploy... propose something ridiculous... and the 2nd effort or replacement will be much more readily accepted. Perhaps that is what is going on here.

That makes sense.

sandiego_urban Jul 8, 2007 7:38 AM

Quote:

Does mean the already approved Ballpark Village development is finally going to happen? I hope so.

Don't forget that Marriott has hotels under different names, such as Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott.

More renderings and info on Shapery Park Tower. Yet another 500' MSL tower to add to the growing plateau. :( On the positive note, there's going to be a rooftop restaurant/bar and observation deck served by a glass elevator, which will be cool. :tup:
http://www.shaperyenterprises.com/

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...alestate31.jpg

From Balboa Park
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...alestate35.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...alestate33.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...alestate34.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...alestate32.jpg

[I]SHAPERY PARK TOWER

Project Description

Shapery Park Tower is a proposed 40 story condominium/hotel and residential tower in downtown San Diego containing 90 hotel/condominium suites, 30 one bedroom condominium suites, 42 two bedroom condominium suites, one penthouse condominium suite, a spa/health club, pool, 40th story restaurant, roof top bar served by a glass elevator, ancillary commercial space and 164 parking spaces located in the project parking garage.

Shapery Park Tower sits on the western half of a substandard block (200’X 108’) bounded by Russ Blvd. on the north, A St. on the south, 11th St. on the west and Park Blvd on the east . It shares the block with a five story historic hotel building that was newly renovated by Mr. Shapery thereby allowing for the transfer of the excess floor area ratio to the Shapery Park Tower. The site is the last private ownership parcel south of Balboa Park and as such is viewed as a city gateway parcel sitting between the downtown core, Balboa Park and at the beginning of the historic Cabrillo highway through the Park.

The building is being developed by Sandor Shapery who previously developed San Diego’s premier mixed use high-rise hotel/office complex, the Emerald Shapery Center which can be recognized by its eight hexagon towers topped with green neon. Mr. Shapery designed the Emerald Shapery Center in conjunction with C.W. Kim Architects who is again joining with Mr. Shapery in the design of this iconic building. Mr. Shapery was also responsible for the design and development of the W Hotel in downtown San Diego.

Mr. Shapery who designed and built the Emerald Shapery Center 16 years ago has been referred to as a futurist having installed many innovations in the Emerald Shapery Center including, openable window mullions for fresh air in every office and hotel room; separate air intakes on each floor at the north side of the building to lower the temperature gradient, save energy and reduce the amount of ionized air in the air distribution ducts; the hexagon design allowed for a greater percentage of view windows per square foot of floor space along with the standardization of every exterior window and building frame component. San Diego’s most efficient air conditioning ice storage system enables the Emerald Shapery Center to reduce its air conditioning electric costs by 70% while the laundry water recycling program paid for itself in 36 months.

The Shapery Park Tower will contain these innovations and more as it is being designed to be the most energy efficient high-rise condominium/hotel and residential tower in the region. Every part of the Shapery Park Tower is being designed with quality of life, energy efficiency, environmental sensitivity and sustainability issues given primary concern.

Many internal building systems are being designed to minimize initial costs and reduce operating costs by utilizing the systems for multiple functions. Examples include utilizing the cooling tower fans to exhaust the parking garage; capturing the building air conditioning condensation water for use in the laundry, swimming pool, fire water storage system and irrigation. Additionally the projects water features are being designed to function as cooling towers for the air-conditioning system. Photovoltaic glass will be installed on the south side building balconies to reduce each tenant’s electrical requirements.

In addition to the many innovations, the building is being built pursuant to the highest standards set by the U.S. Green Building Council LEED certification program.

DETAILED PROJECT DESCRIPTION

The Shapery Park Tower contains forty stories above grade and 4 stories below grade for a total building height of 500 feet above the mean high tide line in the San Diego bay; the maximum building height allowed in downtown San Diego. The project rises 409 feet above the lowest grade on the site with the parcel containing 10,840.5 square feet. The tower sits on the top of the parking pedestal which covers most of the site and contains the lobby, ancillary commercial uses and parking. The Tower will be constructed out of concrete and is designed in the shape of a three leaf clover with each peddle and accompanying core being identical allowing for all of the construction forming to be the same. The organic design of the Shapery Park Tower is symbolic of the environmental aspects of the project.

PARKING

The project has 7 floors of parking. Three levels above grade and 4 levels below grade.

The 4 levels of underground parking contain 86 standard sized parking stalls and 16 compact spaces for a total of 102 spaces below grade. The entrance and exit to the underground parking is located on Russ Blvd.

There are three levels of above grade parking in the pedestal of the building, being levels 3 through 5 containing 52 standard sized spaces and 10 compact spaces for a total of 62 above grade parking spaces. When combined with the underground parking spaces there are a total of 164 parking spaces- 138 standard parking spaces and 26 substandard parking spaces. The entrance and exit to and from the above grade parking is accessed by a driveway between the tower pedestal and the Historic hotel located on the adjacent parcel entering on A Street and exiting on Russ Blvd.

The hotel lobby is two stories tall measured from the entrance on the corner of 11th and A Street. The lower lobby level is connected to the drive-in entrance and upper lobby level by a set of escalators separated by two water falls integrated into the air conditioning cooling system as mentioned above.

HOTEL/ CONDOMINIUM AMENITIES

On the 6th level of the building pedestal above the parking is the back-of-the-house hotel operations system, including house keeping, laundry, security, storage and mechanical systems.

There are three elevators that serve all of the parking and lobby levels, two of which are passenger elevators and one freight elevator running from the p-4 level to the pool deck and spa located on the 7th floor. A second freight elevator begins at the back of the house on the 6th level and runs to the roof. The tower is also served by one glass elevator and two passenger elevators.

The seventh floor, which is the top of the building’s pedestal, contains the swimming pool, pool deck, jacuzzi, health spa, hotel administrative offices, parking elevators, glass elevator, and tower elevators.

The eighth floor which is the first floor of the tower contains two ballroom/meeting rooms containing 1084 square feet each, an 810 square foot kitchen/pantry and a prefunction area containing 760 square feet along with two balconies containing 170 square feet.

The 9th through the 19th floors of the tower contain 9 units per floor for a total of 90 hotel condominium units ranging in size from 375 to 480 square feet most with balconies of 85 square feet each.

sandiego_urban Jul 8, 2007 7:46 AM

^^Continuation of description above....

The 20th through the 24th floors of the tower contain 6 one bedroom condominium units per floor for a total of 30 one bedroom condominium units from 612 to 644 square feet, one and three quarter baths with full kitchens, and containing balconies of 85 square feet each.

The 25th through the 38th floor contain 3 two bedroom two and one half bath condominium units per floor for a total of 42 two bedroom two and one half bath condominiums ranging in size from 1284 to 1292 square feet each containing balconies which range in size from 176 to 255. Two of the three condominiums on each floor have keyed elevators opening directly into the unit’s living room.

Beginning at the 37th floor and continuing to the top of the building each units’ balconies project outward and increase from 420 square feet, out to 584, and 594, square feet respectively.

The 39th floor contains the penthouse condominium containing a total of 4345 square feet of living space with three balconies containing 1782 square each.

The 40th story is a restaurant and lounge containing 3886 square feet of interior space and two outdoor balconies containing 2268 square feet.

Above the restaurant is the roof-top bar and observatory topped out with back lit canvas petals.
[/I]

bmfarley Jul 8, 2007 8:37 AM

:previous: In no uncertain terms do I like parking in a tower that is above grade. All of it should be below grade with ground level retail or commercail with accessible areas for the public. With ground level parkign in a tower I can just hear the sucking noise....sssssssssssssssssssssucking hte energy out of the area.

keg92101 Jul 8, 2007 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2940415)
:previous: In no uncertain terms do I like parking in a tower that is above grade. All of it should be below grade with ground level retail or commercail with accessible areas for the public. With ground level parkign in a tower I can just hear the sucking noise....sssssssssssssssssssssucking hte energy out of the area.

The parking will probably be levels 2-4, similar to Hotel Solamar.

sandiegodweller Jul 8, 2007 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2939966)
What about the Marriott that's supposed to go up on Fifth?:hell:

3 years after land was taken, it's being used as parking lot
By Jeanette Steele
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

June 24, 2007

DOWNTOWN SAN DIEGO – Construction costs are skyrocketing, a court fight is dragging along, and three years after a Gaslamp Quarter cigar shop was condemned to make way for a hotel, the site is being used as a parking lot.

EDUARDO CONTRERAS / Union-Tribune
The Gran Havana cigar shop on J Street between Fifth and Sixth avenues was condemned to make way for a hotel, but the site is a parking lot today.
Now the developer of a proposed Marriott Renaissance is asking San Diego's downtown redevelopment agency for another extension.

Under the current agreement, excavation of the site should have started in January and the hotel should be completed by September 2008. The company now proposes to bring in the backhoes in May and finish the hotel in July 2010.

The Centre City Development Corp. will consider the request at a meeting Wednesday. The downtown redevelopment agency, which took the Gran Havana cigar shop in a controversial decision in 2004, has been unhappy about the delay.

Shop owner Ahmad Mesdaq's appeal of the eminent domain action still is pending in court. So is the agency's appeal of a judge and jury's $9.1 million award to Mesdaq. Oral arguments in both cases start July 17.

The developer blames the delay on that litigation and the chilling effect of Proposition 90, the failed 2006 ballot measure that might have limited the city's condemnation powers.

Now the developer, GRH LLC, wants to lease the whole project to an Anaheim-based company, Hansji Hotels, that is building a hotel across the street. GRH wants help with spiraling project costs, which went from $70 million in April 2004 to $108 million today.
“We are all committed to proceeding with the project as expeditiously as possible,” said Cynthia Eldred, attorney for GRH, which is managed by Ramin Samimi of San Diego.

Samimi's firm wants a nearly two-year extension on the construction timeline dictated by the downtown agency. It would be the second extension, agency officials said.

Mesdaq calls these requests unfair.

“It's just a very sad fact when a government entity takes property for a private developer so he can flip it and make a big sum of money,” he said.

Mesdaq, 36, said he tried reopening his cigar shop in September 2006 at another Gaslamp Quarter address, but business never came around and he closed in January.

Mesdaq, a Scripps Ranch resident, said he plans to use his settlement money to open another business in the Gaslamp.

Eldred disputed that this is a case of “flipping” a project, as GRH would maintain ownership of the land while Hansji Hotels would build and operate the hotel.

She also said the proposed lease doesn't allow her client to cash in. Under the deal with Hansji, she said, GRH takes a hit on expected earnings both now and in the future.

The company already has spent $23 million on the project.

The site is on J Street between Fifth and Sixth avenues. Mesdaq owned 5,000 square feet of the 40,000-square-foot parcel that is slated to become a four-star Marriott Renaissance hotel with 334 rooms.

GRH originally wanted to build the hotel on a different downtown site that it owned, but that land was condemned for what became Petco Park.

Mesdaq bought his property in 2000 and, combined with renovations he had made, sunk about $2.5 million into the former warehouse, turning the site into a showcase.

The city long has maintained that Mesdaq knew the hotel proposal was coming when he purchased the land. He says he didn't learn of it until he was in escrow.

Mesdaq refused offers to sell and went to court to stop the condemnation. He argued that taking his land and handing it to a private party did not amount to a “public use.”

In recent years, governments have used eminent domain powers for “economic development,” arguing that the tax revenue and jobs that private developers bring ultimately benefit the public. City redevelopment officials argued that the hotel would provide much-needed property and hotel-room tax revenue and hotel rooms to serve the Convention Center.

The cigar shop was demolished. The land is being used now as a pay parking lot, with the revenue going to the developer and the downtown agency.

sandiegodweller Jul 8, 2007 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2939675)
This project is very interesting! It's part of the Ballpark Village Master Plan of the area that was worked on by the Padre's owner. Although it's a Marriott Hotel, I am kinda betting it's proposed to be developed by him or his development arm. It should incorporate the ped bridge over Harbor into its design.

Most hotel buildings are privately owned. The building owners negotiate with a hotel operator (Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, etc.) to manage the building and put their "flag" on it.

For example, Doug Manchester owns both the Harbor Marriott and the Manchester Grand Hyatt buildings. He has contracts with 2 different hotel chains to "flag" his buildings.

The new Hilton is owned by a group with Joseph Phelps (Hensel Phelps/Phelps Winery) out of Denver. Hilton is just the operator.

http://www.portofsandiego.org/projects/hiltonhotel/

There is already a pedestrian bridge planned across Harbor. It is $3 million over budget in the planning stages. I guarantee that you won't get 2 different bridges. The new Hilton will be pushing for completion ASAP. A new Marriott at Ballpark Village would help amortize the cost overruns for the bridge.

bmfarley Jul 8, 2007 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 2940609)
Most hotel buildings are privately owned. The building owners negotiate with a hotel operator (Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, etc.) to manage the building and put their "flag" on it.

For example, Doug Manchester owns both the Harbor Marriott and the Manchester Grand Hyatt buildings. He has contracts with 2 different hotel chains to "flag" his buildings.

The new Hilton is owned by a group with Joseph Phelps (Hensel Phelps/Phelps Winery) out of Denver. Hilton is just the operator.

http://www.portofsandiego.org/projects/hiltonhotel/

There is already a pedestrian bridge planned across Harbor. It is $3 million over budget in the planning stages. I guarantee that you won't get 2 different bridges. The new Hilton will be pushing for completion ASAP. A new Marriott at Ballpark Village would help amortize the cost overruns for the bridge.

Yeah, I was not suggesting a 2nd bridge and already knew of the first. I believe I saw renderings of that ped bridge built into the design of the structures at the southeast corner of Imperial and Park... maybe it was the Ballpark Master Plan that I saw that in (?). Either way, the ped bridge going in lands immediately adjacent to the proposed hotel on SE corner of Imperial and Park.

spoonman Jul 8, 2007 4:47 PM

I believe that this Marriott proposal will be a good barometer in terms of how the "ballpark village" will develop. If the design for the Marriott is sprawling like the Hilton, we'll know that the city has given up on the ballpark village master plan. If the project looks dense and like a piece of a puzzle, I think we'll be ok.