SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek May 1, 2007 11:18 PM

^It was located directly at one of the ends of the Harbor Drive Pedestrian Bridge.

Derek May 2, 2007 1:24 AM

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=130529

Derek May 2, 2007 7:05 AM

Some good stuff in here...especially item 4!
http://www.ccdc.com/news/resources/NewsDigest42507.pdf

OCtoSD May 2, 2007 7:41 AM

New Office proposal

3. 6th AVENUE OFFICE - Design Review Approval Granted by Board
(East Village)
The Board granted design review approval of ENDEV’s 6th Avenue Office project,
a 13-story tower to include 12 stories of commercial office space over groundfloor
retail at 453 and 459 Sixth Avenue in East Village. Designed by Fehlman
LaBarre architects, the project is a proposed redevelopment of an infill parcel
located across the street from the Gaslamp Quarter. The Board also granted a
variance to reduce tower stepbacks from 20 feet to zero feet. This project will add
a range of downtown employment opportunities. (Vote: 4-0, with Directors
McNeely, Raffesberger and Brown Absent)

eburress May 2, 2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCtoSD (Post 2809159)
3. 6th AVENUE OFFICE - Design Review Approval Granted by Board
(East Village)
The Board granted design review approval of ENDEV’s 6th Avenue Office project,
a 13-story tower to include 12 stories of commercial office space over groundfloor
retail at 453 and 459 Sixth Avenue in East Village. Designed by Fehlman
LaBarre architects, the project is a proposed redevelopment of an infill parcel
located across the street from the Gaslamp Quarter. The Board also granted a
variance to reduce tower stepbacks from 20 feet to zero feet. This project will add
a range of downtown employment opportunities. (Vote: 4-0, with Directors
McNeely, Raffesberger and Brown Absent)

That is good news! We definitely need more places for people to work downtown!

bmfarley May 2, 2007 3:46 PM

Todays Paradise in progress:

Marriott Residence Inn Construction Begins
Construction of the 12-story, 185-room hotel at Sixth Avenue and J Street will start next week with the installation of fencing and the beginning of dewatering and shoring. On street parking on the south side of J and east side of Sixth next to the project will be eliminated for the length of construction. The hotel is expected to open in the summer of 2009.

sandiegodweller May 2, 2007 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2809601)

Construction of the 12-story, 185-room hotel at Sixth Avenue and J Street will start next week with the installation of fencing and the beginning of dewatering and shoring. On street parking on the south side of J and east side of Sixth next to the project will be eliminated for the length of construction. The hotel is expected to open in the summer of 2009.

When is the other Marriott across the street expected to break ground?

Judgment favors eminent-domain plaintiff

By Elizabeth Fitzsimons
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
April 25, 2006

A business owner whose property in the Gaslamp Quarter was condemned by the city's powers of eminent domain has been awarded $1.25 million in attorneys fees.

The judge's award last Thursday was in addition to a San Diego Superior Court jury's award in October of $7.8 million in favor of the business owner, Ahmed Mesdaq.

The City Council, acting as the Redevelopment Agency of San Diego, voted in April 2004 to force Mesdaq and his Gran Havana Cigar and Coffee Lounge from the property at Fifth Avenue and J Street so that a developer could build a 334-room Marriott Renaissance Hotel on the site.
“The city condemned my property and promised they would break ground immediately to build this hotel,” Mesdaq said.

“They took my property, kicked me out of the place, but they never had any plans. There's no plan, there's no financing, there's nothing whatsoever.”

Under an agreement with the city, developers Ramin Samimi and Ed Himmelberg would have to pay the judgment.

The city has appealed the case. The city's attorney, Bruce Beach, was unavailable for comment yesterday. Mesdaq's attorney, Vincent Bartolotta Jr., said he was willing to reach a settlement.

“From our standpoint, it's an unnecessary and unwarranted waste of time and money, and they should sit down with us and settle this case,” Bartolotta said.

He said the city is using the property for parking and special events.

Mesdaq bought the property in 2000 for $1.3 million and put about $1 million into renovations. He refused offers to sell the property for $3 million.

Mesdaq's dispute with the city drew national attention in the debate over a government's power to take private land so that it may be developed privately by someone else.

Traditionally, eminent domain has been used by governments seeking private land for public projects such as schools and roads. In recent years, governments have used the eminent domain powers for economic development, reasoning that the jobs and tax revenue generated by the project would benefit the public.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elizabeth Fitzsimons: (619) 542-4577; elizabeth.fitzsimons@uniontrib.com

Derek May 2, 2007 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2809601)

About friggin' time!

Derek May 2, 2007 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 2809690)
When is the other Marriott across the street expected to break ground?

Soon, I hope...it's such an eyesore on Fifth:yuck:

OCtoSD May 2, 2007 5:47 PM

Those hotel lots always worried me. I am so glad something is moving.

Derek May 3, 2007 12:14 AM

Anybody got any info on the "State Parking Garage"?

Derek May 3, 2007 10:26 PM

The librarytowersd.net website been changed to the old Chicago Title building condos.

Could this be bad news for Library Tower?

sandiegodweller May 3, 2007 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2812891)
The librarytowersd.net website been changed to the old Chicago Title building condos.

I think that you can get the latest info at:

http://www.the_city_of_sandiego_is_broke_and_there_will_be_no_money_for_a_library_anytime_soon_therefore_we_are_changing_the_name_of_the_project_to_"view_the_homeless_pissing_on_the_sidewalk_tower".com

Derek May 3, 2007 11:44 PM

Fucking money...

Who needs it?:rolleyes:

eburress May 4, 2007 12:10 AM

me

eburress May 4, 2007 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2812891)

If the building is being re-purposed as hotel/condo, then I'm sure the branding, visuals, and everything else would need to be changed as well.

Derek May 4, 2007 12:15 AM

Good point. But why is it a direct link to the other project? I know its the same developer, but they could've given us a heads up. :frog:

eburress May 4, 2007 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2813136)
Good point. But why is it a direct link to the other project? I know its the same developer, but they could've given us a heads up. :frog:

Who knows...could be nothing more than their web developer being an air head or maybe they're wanting to make a big re-announcement.

bmfarley May 4, 2007 4:55 PM

Mistakeningly posted... will revise and post later

druna974 May 4, 2007 5:48 PM

The Mark

I just got my keys for The Mark, I'll post some pics of the inside and views this weekend!