SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek Jan 26, 2008 5:09 PM

Anybody heard of "El Tigre International Airport" in Ensenada?

sandiego_urban Jan 29, 2008 6:05 AM

^^^^^According to Wikipedia, it's a military airbase. Why do you ask?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShekelPop (Post 3305847)
I apologize if this was posted while I was on vacation the past few weeks. I saw it mentioned in this month's San Diego Metro feature on Nancy Graham and CCDC's plans for 2008, I found the RFQ on ccdc.com from 1/4/08, it looks like we're getting a park at Two America Plaza across from Santa Fe Depot. From the RFP:

"CCDC is seeking an urban park planning, design and engineering team to
provide consulting services for a proposed park/urban plaza at a site
currently referred to as “Two America Plaza” in downtown San Diego. The
park/urban plaza will be located above an existing underground parking
facility and will include exterior and interior spaces requiring landscape
architectural, architectural and engineering expertise."

This is news to me. Not that it's a bad thing, but don't the proposed parks at NBC and the Promenade fullfill the area's greenspace quota?

From CCDC -

IM Pei

This detailed document includes some ground level renderings (Art Work) towards the end that we haven't seen before. It says they hope for a mid-2008 ground breaking. We'll have to see about that one. http://www.ccdc.com/events/resources...20Broadway.pdf

Check out the "oh so subtle" changes (Crown and windows) made to the IM Pei tower, which is now called 880 West Broadway. Make sure you click on the Project Images to see the tower superimposed into the skyline. Before you all get excited, it's not that different from the original proposal, but I think the changes are an improvement.

Kettner & Ash

This proposed Bosa tower is described as a trapezoid which could be cool. CCDC describes this 414' tower as iconic. I just hope they weren't on crack when they said this.
http://www.ccdc.com/events/resources...0and%20Ash.pdfa

Lumina (formerly Embassy1414)

I'm glad this one is still alive. What's with the name change, though? It's also shrunk in size and will incorporate a hotel component.
http://www.ccdc.com/events/resources...-%20Lumina.pdf

Derek Jan 29, 2008 6:10 AM

I heard it was supposedly starting construction (El Tigre I mean) this year with direct flights to multiple overseas locations, as well as South America. It is meant to serve the entire San Diego-Tijuana metropolitan area. I found it on Ensenada's Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensenada

sandiego_urban Jan 29, 2008 6:22 AM

From Wikipedia -

El Tigre International Airport

An international airport is to be built at km. 80 of the Tijuana-Ensenada toll road. It will be the third airport serving the greater San Diego-Tijuana metropolitan area, together with the other two major airports of Tijuana and San Diego. Construction is expected to begin on the first quarter of 2008 and initial investment is estimated at around $230 million dollars. The airstrip will be able to receive large aircraft including the Airbus A380 and the Boeing 747. International flights to Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai, Tokyo, Frankfurt and Bogotá are planned.[1]

It might be cool to have commuter flights(or express buses) from Lindbergh and Carlsbad to El Tigre. I'd much rather do that than go thru the Tom Bradley terminal at LAX to fly internationally. That place is always a mess.

HurricaneHugo Jan 29, 2008 9:25 AM

It's kinda sad that we have to depend on Ensenada for international flights.

eburress Jan 29, 2008 4:56 PM

^^ To say the least.

CoastersBolts Jan 30, 2008 2:00 AM

What are the changes made to 880 (formerly 700) West Broadway? All of the project images that appear now look exactly the same as what was on there before.

keg92101 Jan 30, 2008 3:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoastersBolts (Post 3317494)
What are the changes made to 880 (formerly 700) West Broadway? All of the project images that appear now look exactly the same as what was on there before.

700 Block is at Santa Fe station. This proposal is just for the public art (canopy)

Derek Jan 30, 2008 3:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 3315290)

From CCDC -

IM Pei

This detailed document includes some ground level renderings (Art Work) towards the end that we haven't seen before. It says they hope for a mid-2008 ground breaking. We'll have to see about that one. http://www.ccdc.com/events/resources...20Broadway.pdf

Check out the "oh so subtle" changes (Crown and windows) made to the IM Pei tower, which is now called 880 West Broadway. Make sure you click on the Project Images to see the tower superimposed into the skyline. Before you all get excited, it's not that different from the original proposal, but I think the changes are an improvement.

R.I.P. OAP.:(

spoonman Feb 2, 2008 4:16 PM

R.I.P. Two America Plaza too...

bmfarley Feb 2, 2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 3326451)
R.I.P. Two America Plaza too...

Change is good. Although we may tend to take it for granted, the waterfront area desparately needs it.

CoastersBolts Feb 2, 2008 10:35 PM

^At least there are plans to revitalize the waterfront, bay way of the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan. The area is dire need of revitalization is C Street and that area of downtown. I didn't truly appreciate the need for it until Thursday night when I took the trolley downtown to go out with some friends. To say it's scary is really an understatement. Disgraceful is another term to describe it now with the redevelopment that has taken place in the East Village and the fact that Smart Corner is now located where the blue/orange line curves into that area.

bmfarley Feb 3, 2008 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoastersBolts (Post 3327085)
^At least there are plans to revitalize the waterfront, bay way of the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan. The area is dire need of revitalization is C Street and that area of downtown. I didn't truly appreciate the need for it until Thursday night when I took the trolley downtown to go out with some friends. To say it's scary is really an understatement. Disgraceful is another term to describe it now with the redevelopment that has taken place in the East Village and the fact that Smart Corner is now located where the blue/orange line curves into that area.

Yes, C Street needs a face lift. The issue is how to do that while maintaining the function of the street. More people are on those trains, and headed to Centre City trolley stations, than any street in downtown San Diego. Broadway is perhaps the only exception..., and that's because of all the buses. And the rider levels there is logical because Centre City is where the largest share of jobs, retail, and continuous activity is located. But on C Street, there are competing interests for the design of the corridor... and they can be characterized as one is "function based" and one is "form based."

Derek Feb 3, 2008 6:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3327061)
Change is good. Although we may tend to take it for granted, the waterfront area desparately needs it.

I just wish the IM Pei tower didn't block OAP like that. It's not that I don't like his design, it's just that I like OAP's design better. I would love to see his tower in a different spot.

sofresh808 Feb 3, 2008 11:24 PM

not exactly in SD

I went to las americas not too long ago and noticed some new highrises just over the border, do guys know what it is and how big are they? I took a pic too.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2104/...65ca7e.jpg?v=0

Derek Feb 4, 2008 4:36 AM

Those are the NewCity Residencial towers which range from 24 to 27 floors and range from 291 to 334 feet

bmfarley Feb 4, 2008 2:47 PM

What do people think of the proposal to build a new Charger Stadium over the 10th Avenue Marine Terminal? By chance I caught Forefront (?) over the weekend and an interview with Peter Quest (?), the first CCDC director. It seemed the interview was done very recently as they discussed the stadium idea at the site. Noted was that the Marine Terminal is largely empty, at least by first impressions, and that it's subsidized each year to the tune of about $10 million. In other words, it costs more to maintain than it generates in revenue for the Port Authority.

Functionally, I can't imagine how a stadium could sit atop a dock and not affect cargo operations. Concet drawings would be very helpful to understand this idea.

It also seems a very steep hill for the propser to get this idea into any acceptable stage given that the Port seems to have a higher authority than the cities sittign on the Port's Board of Directors; like to the state.

sofresh808 Feb 4, 2008 10:52 PM

^^Thanks, nice to see new developments in TJ, even if the architecture is a little, uhh... costa verde-esque? I really do love the drive down the 805 and seeing all the lights in mexico down there, so it'll be cool to see a new skyline.

SDCAL Feb 5, 2008 6:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3329865)
What do people think of the proposal to build a new Charger Stadium over the 10th Avenue Marine Terminal? By chance I caught Forefront (?) over the weekend and an interview with Peter Quest (?), the first CCDC director. It seemed the interview was done very recently as they discussed the stadium idea at the site. Noted was that the Marine Terminal is largely empty, at least by first impressions, and that it's subsidized each year to the tune of about $10 million. In other words, it costs more to maintain than it generates in revenue for the Port Authority.

Functionally, I can't imagine how a stadium could sit atop a dock and not affect cargo operations. Concet drawings would be very helpful to understand this idea.

It also seems a very steep hill for the propser to get this idea into any acceptable stage given that the Port seems to have a higher authority than the cities sittign on the Port's Board of Directors; like to the state.

I'd really rather see a major civic project get off the ground before another stadium what about the new main LIBRARY

HurricaneHugo Feb 5, 2008 9:31 AM

That can wait.

New Chargers stadium please!