SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

bmfarley Jan 17, 2008 2:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCtoSD (Post 3287486)
Are those the naval housing in National City, or what project is that?

Yes

SDCAL Jan 17, 2008 7:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trvlr (Post 3284431)
You are crazy, but it's not your fault ;-).

Because of the curvature of the earth (or, rather, because of the way we misrepresent distances on maps), Vancouver is actually closer to Manila than LA is. In fact, the difference is rather large...roughly 800 miles. Additionally, because LA is farther away from Manila, PAL's aircraft must make a stop en route (usually in Guam) in order to take on more fuel. PAL's flights out of Vancouver can make it to Manila non-stop.

Perhaps ironically, then, flying SAN-YVR-MNL is actually less than 100 miles longer than doing LAX-GUM-MNL...which, when you add the hassle it takes to fly or drive up to LA, makes the journey much shorter for San Diego residents.

Anyway, I hope the issues get worked out soon. It is entirely conceivable that by the end of 2008 San Diego could have nonstop service to both Europe AND Asia!

I know about the flight paths over the Pacific, I flew Thai airways nonstop to Bangkok from LA this summer, the flight pathe is usually northwest, not a hard north, then a turn west. A direct flight from SD or LA to Manila would, for example, reach as far (and further) north than Vancouver, but you would still be out in the Pacific west of VC when you got to that latitude

HurricaneHugo Jan 17, 2008 9:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCtoSD (Post 3287486)

i thought they're in sd city limits?

SEsdCALconnect Jan 17, 2008 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 3288738)
i thought they're in sd city limits?

Yeah the Pacific Beacon Naval Housing development is well in the San Diego end of the 32nd St. Naval Station...it's gonna be some sweet housing for enlisted sailors, i'll tell you that much.

http://pacificbeacon.com/

...that is not to say that National City isn't getting theirs now...there's some development (and redevelopment) completed or still going on, and a few others we're waiting for along National City Blvd...

bmfarley Jan 17, 2008 7:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCtoSD
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3288050)
Yes

My bad... I was indicating yes to the 'navy housing' part, not necessarily that the project is in National City.

HurricaneHugo Jan 18, 2008 9:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEsdCALconnect (Post 3289474)
Yeah the Pacific Beacon Naval Housing development is well in the San Diego end of the 32nd St. Naval Station...it's gonna be some sweet housing for enlisted sailors, i'll tell you that much.

http://pacificbeacon.com/

...that is not to say that National City isn't getting theirs now...there's some development (and redevelopment) completed or still going on, and a few others we're waiting for along National City Blvd...

Too bad they all look the same :(

sandiegodweller Jan 18, 2008 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3247703)
Does anyone know what WalMart is calling their urban prototype going into TR Produce?

I spoke with the General Contractor at TR PRoduce. They are currently building demising walls for the 15,000 sf space to break it up into 3 spaces. He did not know who was going to occupy them but he didn't think that they were all going to one user.

Wal-Mart goes small to take on UK's Tesco

By Jonathan Birchall in New York
Sunday Jan 13 2008 20:05
SCOOPWal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) will open small-format grocery stores in Arizona this year under the trade name, "Marketside", going head to head with the new Fresh & Easy markets being rolled out in the US by Tesco, the UK grocer.

The new pilot stores are about 20,000 sq ft, a 10th of the size of the Supercenters that have been driving Wal-Mart's growth over the past two decades.

The retailer has secured leases on four properties south-east of Phoenix, some of them only a mile from locations where Tesco is setting up its 10,000 sq ft discount grocery stores.

The stores, likely to be open by the summer, are the first new concept launched by the retailer in the US for a decade, and are being developed as the company slows its planned growth of Supercenters.

Unlike the giant stores, the planning process for the new Marketside stores does not require public consultation, potentially creating a way for Wal-Mart to grow into cities and states where its Supercenter expansion has been slowed by union-backed political opposition.

In addition to its 2,435 US Supercenters, Wal-Mart also sells food at 128 Neighborhood Markets, a grocery format the company launched in 1998.

Wal-Mart declined to give details of the new stores, but the company characterised them as comparable with its existing Neighborhood Markets, which it uses to "fill in" between Supercenters. At about 35,000 sq ft, the Neighborhood Markets are roughly the size of a traditional US supermarket.

"We trial and test lots of different new formats and this would be an example of that," the company said.

But its new logo, filed in planning documents in Arizona and consisting of green lettering with a stylised tomato, egg and grape topped by a Wal-Mart blue star, suggests the format will - like Tesco's Fresh & Easy - have a far stronger stress on fresh foods.

The retailer has also registered a number of new trade names in recent months, such as City Thyme and Field & Vine, which some industry analysts believe could be used for new private-label fresh-food offerings.

Wal-Mart recently hired Jack Sinclair, a veteran of the UK grocery industry, to head its supermarket business.

Operating the smaller stores is likely to require a significant shift in an operation developed to serve the Supercenter.

All the stores are in street-corner properties that were formerly occupied by drug stores. The company has applied for wine and beer licences for stores in the fast-growing cities of Gilbert, Tempe and Mesa, and has additional leases in the city of Chandler.

There are already 12 Supercenters and five Neighborhood Markets in the Arizona area. All the buildings were previously drug stores that were acquired and then sold off by CVS, the pharmacy group, as part of the break-up of the old Albertson's supermarket group in 2006.

The four stores are located at:

Mesa: 7561 E Baseline RoadGilbert: 910 E Elliott RoadChandler: 950 N McQueen RoadTempe: 838 W Elliott Road.

mello Jan 18, 2008 6:31 PM

Ok guys time for some updates if there are any so here are my questions:

Anyone heard any news on the huge Marriot Project right behind Petco??

Any idea of a construction timeline for Lane Field ----- NBC ----- And the old police headquarters???? All of these projects are lagging big time!

News on that huge 47 floor hotel on Columbia Street? I really do like that project.

That is all for now, I just haven't really heard these things addressed in quite a long time so I appreciate anyone who has any insite on these projects. :cheers:

sandiegodweller Jan 18, 2008 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 3291736)
Ok guys time for some updates if there are any so here are my questions:

Anyone heard any news on the huge Marriot Project right behind Petco??

Any idea of a construction timeline for Lane Field ----- NBC ----- And the old police headquarters???? All of these projects are lagging big time!

News on that huge 47 floor hotel on Columbia Street? I really do like that project.

That is all for now, I just haven't really heard these things addressed in quite a long time so I appreciate anyone who has any insite on these projects. :cheers:

Simple, the lack of funding and the overall economy along with lawsuits will delay these for a few more years.

HurricaneHugo Jan 19, 2008 5:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 3291736)

?

sdperry Jan 21, 2008 7:06 PM

Any news on Pinnacle project or 16th and Island project?

The future cafe for the park at 14th and Island has been finished for a while now, and last summer they put up the construction fence to presumably start on the park and then demo the warehouses for the new Pinnacle tower.
I haven't seen any activity there for months. Does anyone know anything about this project?
Also, the DR. Horton owned site at 16th and Island is going through soil remediation right now and last I heard construction was to start this fall. Does anyone know if this is still gonna happen? Thanks.

bmfarley Jan 21, 2008 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdperry (Post 3297550)
The future cafe for the park at 14th and Island has been finished for a while now, and last summer they put up the construction fence to presumably start on the park and then demo the warehouses for the new Pinnacle tower.
I haven't seen any activity there for months. Does anyone know anything about this project?
Also, the DR. Horton owned site at 16th and Island is going through soil remediation right now and last I heard construction was to start this fall. Does anyone know if this is still gonna happen? Thanks.

I havenot heard or seen a darn thing. But you gotta think... those projects will take 2 years to construct and complete. By then I'd like to think the housing melt down would have settled and the market to sell condo's had improved????

The last time I drove by the Pinnacle site it seemed I witnessed activity in the warehouses, or immediately adjacent. But it was not construction or demo related. It looked like light business activity.

SDCAL Jan 22, 2008 1:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdperry (Post 3297550)

What is the Pinnacle project?????? can't find anything on it on the internet or ccdc page

Derek Jan 22, 2008 1:53 AM

15th & Island?

Jobohimself Jan 22, 2008 1:55 AM

I found a nighttime construction picture of convention center Hilton...this is going to be one sexy tower!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...f/Progress.jpg

(Photos by me)

...and also, a topped out Electra:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...lf/Electra.jpg

Now, if only City of SD lifts the 500 foot limit for the area more than one mile from the airport, we'll be in good shape! maybe not in my lifetime, but... :haha:

SD_Phil Jan 22, 2008 2:52 AM

I've been meaning to add (without pics unfortunately) that the La Jolla Commons office tower is now at 13 floors. It had been stuck at 8 for many months while they apparently worked on the interior floors and have now framed the steel to 13.

The costa verde tower is having the scaffolding taken down and they are also repainting the older towers a horribly pukey yellow.

That is all...

HurricaneHugo Jan 23, 2008 9:08 AM

Pics or it didn't happen.

sdperry Jan 23, 2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3298515)
What is the Pinnacle project?????? can't find anything on it on the internet or ccdc page

It is E70 on the interactive map. Estimated start time is summer 2008, and finish 2010.
I noticed the DR Horton project on 16th and Island is no longer on the map. That is the answer I guess. I hope DR Horton sells the lot to someone who will develop it instead of DR Horton just leaving it empty for years and years.

Its good to see the Thomas Jefferson School of Law is now on the map.

Anyone know anything about the harbor drive pedestrian bridge. The interactive map says it went open for Bid in December 2007. Is it a long process to pick a contractor? The site has no estimated start or completion date.

ShekelPop Jan 25, 2008 12:12 AM

I apologize if this was posted while I was on vacation the past few weeks. I saw it mentioned in this month's San Diego Metro feature on Nancy Graham and CCDC's plans for 2008, I found the RFQ on ccdc.com from 1/4/08, it looks like we're getting a park at Two America Plaza across from Santa Fe Depot. From the RFP:

"CCDC is seeking an urban park planning, design and engineering team to
provide consulting services for a proposed park/urban plaza at a site
currently referred to as “Two America Plaza” in downtown San Diego. The
park/urban plaza will be located above an existing underground parking
facility and will include exterior and interior spaces requiring landscape
architectural, architectural and engineering expertise."

HurricaneHugo Jan 26, 2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD_Phil (Post 3298780)
I've been meaning to add (without pics unfortunately) that the La Jolla Commons office tower is now at 13 floors. It had been stuck at 8 for many months while they apparently worked on the interior floors and have now framed the steel to 13.

I drove by today, took out my phone to take a pic, pressed the button, took the picture, and said..."memory full can not save."

Damn.:(