SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

keg92101 Nov 9, 2007 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3155115)
Yes, I am curious about this too. I spot a location bounded by National, 16th and Newton on the far south side of downtown. The lot was remediated last year and is basically a very large open pit... about 10 feet deep ... and level. However, I heard from my ultra secret sources that a Lowe's or Home Depot or something like that was to go in there???

That site is under CCDC jurisdiction and has a minimum FAR 2. for a 3 acre site, that's over 260K SF, and for what was paid (over $20 mil) I have a hard time seeing a Lowes pencil.

Did you guys see that the Covention Center wants to expand 500K SF before 2012?

bmfarley Nov 9, 2007 4:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3155341)
That site is under CCDC jurisdiction and has a minimum FAR 2. for a 3 acre site, that's over 260K SF, and for what was paid (over $20 mil) I have a hard time seeing a Lowes pencil.

Did you guys see that the Covention Center wants to expand 500K SF before 2012?

What would 'pencil out' at that price?

Derek Nov 9, 2007 4:30 AM

Where would the Convention Center expand?

Derek Nov 9, 2007 4:41 AM

Wait, isn't the Convention Center already just over 500,000 square feet? So they want to double in size?

keg92101 Nov 9, 2007 5:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 3155447)
Wait, isn't the Convention Center already just over 500,000 square feet? So they want to double in size?

500K ground floor. I think 2.6 million total. They want to double the ground floor.

keg92101 Nov 9, 2007 5:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3155397)

Apartments, hotels, office. They paid over $150 per SF for the land alone. More than that, those of us that live downtown, did so to get away from the "big-box" sub-urban style retail centers. I can't see the CCAC approving anything of this nature. How could downtown's urban fabric ever blend seamlessly into Barrio Logan (long term goal of CCDC) with this monstrosity of a center dividing the two, and right next to a trolley stop for that. I think that this could be a good spot for a budget style hotel (check out Starwoods aloft) with more affordable apartments. I know JMI has exclusivity for the new Starwood brands, aloft and Element, and have already announced plans to build both "east of Petco Park"

Derek Nov 9, 2007 5:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3155473)
500K ground floor. I think 2.6 million total. They want to double the ground floor.

But how do they plan on doing that?

spoonman Nov 9, 2007 6:27 AM

^^^There are 4 ways to do this.

1. Build over the water
2. Say goodbye to the new park next to the Hilton
3. Straddle Harbor Blvd.
4. Rework the existing structure for additional levels

I have heard most of these discussed. Building over the water is the most costly and unlikely. The existing structure (phase 2) is unlikely to be adjusted given it's age and style. My guess is that it will be a combination of Harbor Drive and a portion of that park area. Let's be real, that park (*eh hem*, open-space) didn't just happen by accident.

sandiego_urban Nov 9, 2007 8:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3153780)
This would be terrible. Single Uses in the downtown area can turn into a disiaster over the long haul. If you put a Target, Lowes, Costco in downtown, with no residential component, it turns into a ghost town at night and no we do have a traffic mess durring the day. I sure hope CCDC doesn't "F" this one up.

Whoops, I didn't mean to start a rumor that Lowe's or Home Depot were definitely coming downtown. When I saw that a power center was in the works, i immediately thought of a home improvement store. I do know that either HD or Lowe's are building smaller stores to fit into neighborhoods. Maybe it's their version of True Value Hardware??

I re-read the article mentioning the power center and apparently it will border National Ave. near Petco Park, at a former Unocal site. Anyone know where that is? Is that the lot bmfarley mentioned above? Is it part of JMI's Ballpark Village? Also, it's will be about 435,000 square feet, not 570,000, in multi-levels. Are we talking Linen's & Things, Staples, Old Navy here? I actually think a downtown Target store would be great. It could serve residents of downtown, Logan Heights, South Park, Hillcrest Banker's Hill and nearby Coronado. :tup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman
^^^There are 4 ways to do this.

1. Build over the water
2. Say goodbye to the new park next to the Hilton
3. Straddle Harbor Blvd.
4. Rework the existing structure for additional levels

How about running Harbor Drive underground and extending CC all the way to the Trolley/Train tracks and creating a huge green space on the roof with easy access to the bay on the other side? The park could be modeled after Yerba Buena Gardens in SF.

Just an idea..... :)

HurricaneHugo Nov 9, 2007 10:19 AM

^^You're talking about San Diego...

keg92101 Nov 9, 2007 5:25 PM

[QUOTE=sandiego_urban;3155737]Whoops, I didn't mean to start a rumor that Lowe's or Home Depot were definitely coming downtown. When I saw that a power center was in the works, i immediately thought of a home improvement store. I do know that either HD or Lowe's are building smaller stores to fit into neighborhoods. Maybe it's their version of True Value Hardware??

I re-read the article mentioning the power center and apparently it will border National Ave. near Petco Park, at a former Unocal site. Anyone know where that is? Is that the lot bmfarley mentioned above? Is it part of JMI's Ballpark Village? Also, it's will be about 435,000 square feet, not 570,000, in multi-levels. Are we talking Linen's & Things, Staples, Old Navy here? I actually think a downtown Target store would be great. It could serve residents of downtown, Logan Heights, South Park, Hillcrest Banker's Hill and nearby Coronado. :tup:

QUOTE]

If they were do do a complex similar to Harlem USA by SOM, that could actually be kind of cool. Again, it all has to do with not letting a typical suburban, cheap architecture model make its way into the urban core.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w..._HarlemUSA.jpg

Trvlr Nov 9, 2007 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 3152693)
It's about time they started flying here. San Diego was originally one of the launch destinations of Virgin America, but was dropped due to Southwest's new service to San Francisco introduced at the time of Virgin America's launch.

Hopefully Virgin America will announce other non-stop service to other destinations in the United States from San Diego shortly.

Indeed. LAS, JFK, and IAD are their other stations, while SEA and MIA are supposed to start sometime next year, as well. I can see most if not all of those stations going on-line from San Diego. Currently, the market to south Florida is wide-open, and SEA only has one airline.

If any of you do get a chance to fly Virgin America, though, I would take it. I sampled their first class product last month, and I was blown away. If these guys can develop the frequency on key routes to be attractive to business travelers, they will eat the competition alive.

sandiegodweller Nov 9, 2007 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3155397)

An oil well.

SDCAL Nov 9, 2007 9:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 3153084)
^^^ I agree with you Derek 100%. The bases as well as the height are pathetic crap for that area. These belong in Mission Valley, not on the waterfront. That size podium should have 4 buildings rather than 2.

Park Row should be a lesson to us about poor land use.

I like the Lane Field buildings. The height should not be that tall condisering they are right on the bay. The skyline view from the water will not look good with taller buildings in front, beacuse that's all you will see. It makes sense for the tall towers to be set back more

SDCAL Nov 9, 2007 9:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3155106)
Believe me, this would never happen.

I hope not. I like dowtnown because it's the one place in san diego county with the exception of uptown-hillcrest area where you still see unique retail. If Wal Mart or the like comes downtown it will really be a set-back to a unique urban experience. If you want suburbia, live there. Just as those who want downtown excitement can drive downtown, those who live downtown and want wal mart can drive to the suburbs

SDCAL Nov 9, 2007 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3152794)
Anyone who has vision to turn San Diego into world class gets stomped by Psycho Agurrie, who has a press conference to announce he is going to investigate that person's corruption. Damn Shame...

San Diego has a wide, wide variety of hinderances to becoming a world-class city, to blame Aguirre for even a large portion is really an over-statement

SDCAL Nov 9, 2007 9:17 PM

[QUOTE=sandiego_urban;3153341]I should have been more specific in my negative response earlier. Much of my disappointment has to do with the suburban officepark-looking base of the towers, and also the fact that it's basically another twin-tower project. It should go well with the neighboring Grande and proposed NBC twins, don't you think?. :(

I actually like the facade of the towers but hate the crowns (or lack of). I'd like it better if the buildings were stacked on top of each other and built in the East Village. I just think the waterfront location where these will be built deserves better. But the biggest plus is there's no mistaking that this is a Bosa project! :yes:

As for aging, I kinda see a resemblance to the Coronado Shores condos which were built in the 70's. Do you all think they've aged well?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...Beachfront.jpg

To be honest, I think they have aged well. For being built in the 70s they are not toatlly disgusting, even though they are kind of bland I think they hold up nicely considering the time they were built

bmfarley Nov 9, 2007 9:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 3155737)
Whoops, I didn't mean to start a rumor that Lowe's or Home Depot were definitely coming downtown. When I saw that a power center was in the works, i immediately thought of a home improvement store. I do know that either HD or Lowe's are building smaller stores to fit into neighborhoods. Maybe it's their version of True Value Hardware??

How about running Harbor Drive underground and extending CC all the way to the Trolley/Train tracks and creating a huge green space on the roof with easy access to the bay on the other side? The park could be modeled after Yerba Buena Gardens in SF.

Just an idea..... :)

To me, a power center = electrical power generation or distribution. Along that line, could the power distribution type thing in the Marina by Electra be phased out and replaced with one off National? Could that be the plan?

keg92101 Nov 9, 2007 9:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3156871)
To me, a power center = electrical power generation or distribution. Along that line, could the power distribution type thing in the Marina by Electra be phased out and replaced with one off National? Could that be the plan?

No, they called it a "retail power center", not just a power center. I think it was purchased by Tramel Crow

sandiegodweller Nov 9, 2007 9:48 PM

Rite Aid is occupying the Pep Boys building on Market and 10th.

There is a new sign on the site.