SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

dtnphx Sep 23, 2010 6:47 PM

:slob: This is stimulating banter at its best. Snow is cold, here is why, the sun is hot, here is the proof. You're both right. Now clean up the spooge and move on.

Strange Meat Sep 23, 2010 7:24 PM

Hey, I'm just saying when you say "cold winter" people think of Buffalo or Cleveland or the East Coast where you just hunker down, don't see the sun, and are miserable from November through April. :tup:

Leo the Dog Sep 23, 2010 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strange Meat (Post 4991187)
Hey, I'm just saying when you say "cold winter" people think of Buffalo or Cleveland or the East Coast where you just hunker down, don't see the sun, and are miserable from November through April. :tup:

Buffalo, Cleveland and parts of the E. Coast is a given. Many people include Denver in that list too. :tup:

Evil Empire Sep 23, 2010 8:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strange Meat (Post 4991073)
Our average highs in winter are still higher than Philly, so it feels warmer. Unless you live your life from 5pm-9am.

And yeah, coming from high school in Ohio to college in Phx I'd definitely say the heat is different. Give me 105 and dry over 90 with 90% humidity any day. Humidity has a multiplying effect - it makes hot and cold both feel moreso.

I will say this city has some of the most extreme weather of anywhere I've been. And I mean that by swigs, so for example how a 40deg difference between a daily high and low doesn't seem all that wierd. Or snow one day and weather in the 70s a couple days before or after. Snow in May? Just as likely as 70 in January. Only thing you really don't ever see is more than 2 days in a row of overcast.

That would be an adventure, at least.

My best friend goes to Denver once every 3 months or so to visit his brother and he's always talking about how he experiences all 4 seasons in the 7 days that he usually stays there...except when he visits in July.

Strange Meat Sep 23, 2010 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 4991242)
Buffalo, Cleveland and parts of the E. Coast is a given. Many people include Denver in that list too. :tup:

Right, but it's totally TOTALLY different here, which is my whole point. It's something that took me quite by surprise (pleasantly) when I moved here.

Don B. Sep 24, 2010 12:09 AM

This is anecdotal, but two of my neighbors have been laid off in the last two days (one male and one female), along with another male friend who lives about four miles away.

WTF? Just coincidence, I'm sure, but still.

Arizona's not out of the woods by a long shot.

--don

Strange Meat Sep 24, 2010 12:29 AM

That sucks. From what I've read/heard isn't AZ supposed to be one of the more worse off areas right now?

Buckeye Native 001 Sep 24, 2010 12:50 AM

We don't have a white collar workforce. That's half the problem...

Teacher_AZ_84 Sep 24, 2010 2:01 AM

I've been laid off since May (second time in a row) from 2 separate school districts. I vowed NOT to return to K-12 education and apply in higher-ed. Countless positions without a single interview. I am at my wits end with this state and have been looking elsewhere from sometime. I am a 5th generation Arizonan and it's not an easy decision. I am tired of hearing how AZ is improving when that is not what I am witnessing.

Leo the Dog Sep 24, 2010 1:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don B. (Post 4991585)
This is anecdotal, but two of my neighbors have been laid off in the last two days (one male and one female), along with another male friend who lives about four miles away.

WTF? Just coincidence, I'm sure, but still.

Arizona's not out of the woods by a long shot.

--don

I had an appointment at my bank yesterday and the employee I talked to asked me "what's going on in AZ? Most of my new customers are from there, you're my 6th in a week."

Vicelord John Sep 25, 2010 12:19 AM

Does anyone have a copy of Robert Melikian's Vanishing Phoenix? I'd love to borrow it if you do.

Looking at old pictures of the old Fox Theater makes me sick.

HooverDam Sep 25, 2010 7:29 AM

Hey all the Grand Avenue Festival is tomorrow, more info here:

http://grandavephoenix.com/

They're doing 're-dapt' tours at 8, 9 and 10am. Ill be one of the tour guides on the 9am leg, and the forums own NIXPHX77 will be a guide on the 10am tour. Tickets are just $10, can be purchased at Kooky Krafts. There will be events all day, live music, performances, etc. They're also going to have some renderings or information from what I understand about the GARP (Grand Ave Rail Project).

HX_Guy Sep 25, 2010 6:22 PM

Change a subject a bit...

G Star Raw is opening a store in Scottsdale Fashion Square the first week of November, the first such store in the Southwest. I love their stuff but really wish they would have chosen downtown for the opening. Financially I'm sure it make a lot more sense to open in Scottsdale due to the demographics but it would have been awesome to see it open downtown, it's definitely a destination type store that people who know about the brand would drive to.

Vicelord John Sep 25, 2010 7:06 PM

Looking at the website, it looks like the new Affliction (g star raw) will fit in very well with the douchebag clubbers in old town.

HX_Guy Sep 25, 2010 7:11 PM

Affliction? G Star Raw is nothing like Affliction, unless you're just saying it will get trendy like Affliction. I can't stand Affliction or the types of people that typically wear it.

Vicelord John Sep 25, 2010 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 4993713)
Affliction? G Star Raw is nothing like Affliction, unless you're just saying it will get trendy like Affliction. I can't stand Affliction or the types of people that typically wear it.

I'm saying that every douchebag in old town scottsdale will eat it up. Marketers are smart man, they opened there for a reason.

bwonger06 Sep 26, 2010 1:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4993752)
I'm saying that every douchebag in old town scottsdale will eat it up. Marketers are smart man, they opened there for a reason.

They open there because that is the only part of the city that has enough customers with money to buy anything. Look at Barneys, Neiman, Hub, etc. You will never see a "Scottsdale Douche" wearing anything from there and I think the same will apply to G-Star.

Honestly, if you want to buy G-Star just go to Hub.

In other news - Also went to Sidebar yesterday. I really like the place and the environment. Cool building, only wish it was closer to the light rail. I still need to go to visit CityScape at night. Probably take a trip during the pub crawl in a few weeks.

Vicelord John Sep 26, 2010 1:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwonger06 (Post 4993929)
In other news - Also went to Sidebar yesterday. I really like the place and the environment. Cool building, only wish it was closer to the light rail. I still need to go to visit CityScape at night. Probably take a trip during the pub crawl in a few weeks.

Thats funny you say that, because I always bitched that it was too far from the train too. I walk three times a week to either Seamus or Lucky Strike which are both 6 blocks from home. The Mcdowell station to SideBar is 7 blocks (1/2 mile) down Lynwood, which really isn't bad at all.

Maybe it seems like it's too far because it blows.

bwonger06 Sep 26, 2010 2:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4993937)
Thats funny you say that, because I always bitched that it was too far from the train too. I walk three times a week to either Seamus or Lucky Strike which are both 6 blocks from home. The Mcdowell station to SideBar is 7 blocks (1/2 mile) down Lynwood, which really isn't bad at all.

Maybe it seems like it's too far because it blows.

Actually that isn't too far (10-15 walk at most). And there are not too many lounge/trendy bars in downtown that are not overrun with gay people plus Sidebar makes some wicked drinks.

Vicelord John Sep 26, 2010 2:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwonger06 (Post 4993980)
Actually that isn't too far (10-15 walk at most). And there are not too many lounge/trendy bars in downtown that are not overrun with gay people plus Sidebar makes some wicked drinks.

I'll give you the wicked drinks point. As for gays, meh, I could care less. I just feel like everytime I step in there that everyone is thinking they are better than the person next to them. Seems like a lot of scottsdale type attitude. Plus, I prefer the drink menu at Hanny's.