SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

HurricaneHugo Nov 5, 2007 7:54 AM

Nice!

eburress Nov 5, 2007 3:49 PM

Kettner & Ash looks a little thick (very much unlike Sapphire) but is otherwise quite nice. That part of downtown is going to be so impressive once all those buildings go up.

obendega Nov 5, 2007 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3146808)
Btw, I wish there was a plan to replace the Holiday Inn hotel towers along the embarcadero... between Harbor and Pacific Highway... north of Broadway and south of Ash. They have a semi decent blueish paint job that kinda masks their ugliness and out-of-dateness..., but I see right through it an cringe. They are an embarrassment to the downtown San Diego waterfront; our front porch.

I am so with you on this one. They are on one of the prime locations in San Diego and are absolutely hideous.

bushman61988 Nov 5, 2007 6:02 PM

Kettner & Ash
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...tnerandAsh.jpg[/QUOTE]
I just don't know about this one...it's so typical Bosa, it just makes me kind of sick. The design review panel called this crap unique..."UNIQUE"???? Are they crazy?! Are they not seeing the same typical Bosa tower that looks nearly identical to Bayside, and Electra, not to mention the STRONG resemblance to the newly planned ones, like the one where the KUSI Mixed-use was suppose to be, or at Highway & E???

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 3146836)
There's no question that Kettner & Ash is another Bosa project. It looks nice enough, but I sure hope it doesn't look too much like their Bayside tower across the street.

Couldnt agree with you more, sd_urban.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3146600)
^^^ It's a nice looking building. Anyone know which side faces Market and the other side Island? I suspect the side with the bulbed street corners is Island.

Also, how realistic is the amount of greenery on rooftop levels? And all those trees seems optomistic.

Yea, i highly doubt all that greenery will happen. The renderings showed that the Legend was suppose to have a lot more greenery, and the rooftop terrace was suppose to have these nice, full trees, but they were replaced by these thin, measley lookin Palms.

Quote:

Btw, I wish there was a plan to replace the Holiday Inn hotel towers along the embarcadero... between Harbor and Pacific Highway... north of Broadway and south of Ash. They have a semi decent blueish paint job that kinda masks their ugliness and out-of-dateness..., but I see right through it an cringe. They are an embarrassment to the downtown San Diego waterfront; our front porch.

Yes, these towers definitely need to be imploded. Something REAL nice can definitely go there in the near future.

sandiegodweller Nov 5, 2007 6:25 PM

The site is owned by a large hotel REIT, FELCOR HOTEL ASSET COMPANY (www.felcor.com) and it probably makes a good amount of money as is. I wish that they would paint it at least. The pink and blue color scheme is a little dated.

IconRPCV Nov 5, 2007 10:14 PM

Hey there I dont post much but am check up on the forum daily to get my fix of downtown development. I live in the Icon and I feel like I have this great opportunity to see a neighborhood come alive. All we need are som more retail opportunities and the area will be great. Also they seriously need to get this Harbor Drive pedestrian bridge started. I want to be able to go to the new bayfront park by the Hilton once it is completed. So anything new on the rumor of a Trader Joe's going into the bottom floor of the TR Produce building?

obendega Nov 5, 2007 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 3147899)
I want to be able to go to the new bayfront park by the Hilton once it is completed.

Whoa, I must have missed this info. I have always wondered what they would do to the area around the new Hilton to make it attractive.

Has there been anything official posted about this bayfront park?

Derek Nov 5, 2007 11:09 PM

This is just my opinion, but I'm sure in the future (15-20 years at most), that the industrial area southeast of the Hilton site will be bought out or something and converted into more highrise development and hopefully some nice waterfront parks.

Now all we need is a 40/40 Club. ;)

SDCAL Nov 5, 2007 11:34 PM

Quote:

yayyy!!!!!! I have been hoping they would get rid of those hideous things for a long time!!

SDCAL Nov 5, 2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 3147899)
Hey there I dont post much but am check up on the forum daily to get my fix of downtown development. I live in the Icon and I feel like I have this great opportunity to see a neighborhood come alive. All we need are som more retail opportunities and the area will be great. Also they seriously need to get this Harbor Drive pedestrian bridge started. I want to be able to go to the new bayfront park by the Hilton once it is completed. So anything new on the rumor of a Trader Joe's going into the bottom floor of the TR Produce building?

I would LOVE a trader joes in there! But, the rumor I heard was that it's going to be some high-end market that is going to be a pilot project of - believe it or not - wal mart (a wal mart attempt to get into the botique grocer market)??

If anyone has info on the TR produce ground level market, please let us know ;)

SDCAL Nov 5, 2007 11:48 PM

7th and Market, my two cents

Overall, like it. It will defniately bring density into that area, the south side of Market is really starting to fill-out, but it is starting to look one-sided if you look down Market facing west because all the towers are on the south side :)

The one complaint would be that it looks kind of busy. I really like the glass top of the tower, it look smuch better than in the old renderings

Any word on the timeline of this one getting off the ground?

It would look REALLY good if Cosmo was to go up right behind it ;) I have not given up hope for Cosmo Square, I have a feeling it might actually come through after all

bmfarley Nov 6, 2007 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 3148007)
This is just my opinion, but I'm sure in the future (15-20 years at most), that the industrial area southeast of the Hilton site will be bought out or something and converted into more highrise development and hopefully some nice waterfront parks.

That would be nice, but I have my doubts that that is a possibility. That land is under control of the Port District. And their mission is to maintain the 'working' port. Remember that they object to the hotel towers planned by the Padre owner ont he south side of Imperial between Park Blvd and 11th Avenue... over lookign the rail yards and the Dole facility? They objected because of the increased pressure it would bring on them to convert to otehr uses.

Derek Nov 6, 2007 1:40 AM

So hopefully they will fold under pressure. ;)

spoonman Nov 6, 2007 2:39 AM

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...PlanItem51.jpg

Stunning!!!

spoonman Nov 6, 2007 2:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3146774)
A CCDC pre-design subcommittee will review a couple projects on the 6th. One is Kettner & Ash.... just north of Saphire and east and across the tracks from Bayside. It looks nice.

Kettner & Ash
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...tnerandAsh.jpg

I've mentioned this one before here, and I've been hoping it would gain traction.

Derek Nov 6, 2007 2:42 AM

I think I need to see another rendering of Kettner and Ash before I make a decision as to whether or not I like it.

spoonman Nov 6, 2007 3:04 AM

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...tnernight2.jpg

This is an old rendering. Unfortunately as we have found, renderings are often wishful thinking; especially early renderings of this sort.

IconRPCV Nov 6, 2007 3:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obendega (Post 3147973)
Whoa, I must have missed this info. I have always wondered what they would do to the area around the new Hilton to make it attractive.

Has there been anything official posted about this bayfront park?

Check out the ccdc post about the hotel there is to be a large park going along the bay connecting witht the embarcadero south park behind the convention center.

ShekelPop Nov 6, 2007 4:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 3148383)
I've mentioned this one before here, and I've been hoping it would gain traction.

not to say it doesn't look good, but enough GLASS over there in that part of town! (it will look nice though, I think). it makes me kind of glad irvine co. is building a plain old travertine building.

Derek Nov 6, 2007 5:13 AM

I don't think Kettner and Ash looks too bad.