SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

eburress May 31, 2007 4:28 AM

The rest of the building looks nice enough, although something more along the lines of an Electra or Cosmo would be cool. That area is so boxy...it needs some angles and curves! :)

sandiego_urban May 31, 2007 7:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 2868515)

Hmmm....not sure what to think about it from this rendering. It's kinda busy, but I'm glad it isn't covered with balconies - at least from this angle. Another good thing is that it doesn't look Vancouverish.

I'm with you, eburress, about the top looking unfinished. Do you think an all glass top is a good idea here, if in fact, it is? I'm scared it may look like something out of the 80's. Oh well, I guess we need to see different and bigger renderings in order to give it the thumbs up or not.

Is anyone else surprised by the number of new proposals that have been announced in the last month or so?

bushman61988 May 31, 2007 7:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2868772)
Is it me, or does it look like the artist didn't finish the top of portion of the building in the rendering (the blue stuff)? Compared to the bottom portion of the building, the top looks fuzzy and is without the detail of the bottom of the rendering -- or maybe I'm just not seeing it right.

Yea, definitely, I thought that was just me, too. but no, maybe it's not even finished yet.

HurricaneHugo May 31, 2007 9:04 AM

Quote:

hmm....i dunno if i like it...

i'll wait for a bigger version:)

Derek May 31, 2007 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 2869129)

Is anyone else surprised by the number of new proposals that have been announced in the last month or so?

Surprised? No. Happy? Yes.;)

eburress May 31, 2007 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 2869129)
Hmmm....not sure what to think about it from this rendering. It's kinda busy, but I'm glad it isn't covered with balconies - at least from this angle. Another good thing is that it doesn't look Vancouverish.

I'm with you, eburress, about the top looking unfinished. Do you think an all glass top is a good idea here, if in fact, it is? I'm scared it may look like something out of the 80's. Oh well, I guess we need to see different and bigger renderings in order to give it the thumbs up or not.

Nahhhh...bring on Vancouver!! I want more more more Vancouverish towers in SD!!! :)

The number of new proposals is surprising - especially considering how we were assured no new projects would be happening for some time.

IconRPCV May 31, 2007 3:38 PM

Considering the rendering of the new mixed use proposal. I like the design I think the stepbacks make the tower look much taller than it is. As for the top I think it is fininished.

"all reflected in the striking use of glass, which gives the tower a luminous quality at all times of day.”

I think the rendering is made to look like it is aglow in the sunlight.

SDCAL May 31, 2007 5:51 PM

[QUOTE=

QUOTE]

It is hard to tell because the rendering is small and we don't know the materials of what the top is. I think if it's going to be like a translucent glass it would actually look cool, but not sure if that's what it is. The description in the news article gives this:

The concept of a vertical city energized by 'skylife' also is captured by a series of levels visually identified by stairs, balconies and terraces, all reflected in the striking use of glass, which gives the tower a luminous quality at all times of day.”

It could look 80s or it could look sleek and wonderful, all depends on how they do it. If it's like a seamless glass it would look nice but if they use big defined squares that wouls reminf me of 80s type archtiecture. I like the translucent glass atop Advanced Equities Plaza

SDDTProspector May 31, 2007 6:59 PM

Just imagine sitting at the ball game seeing a nice stepping of 300 to 700 ft towers over the left field line with "the legend" and "diamond view tower in front", then just behind that is "Cosmo square", "the mark" and this new 'Seventh and Market tower", Finally some 600 to 700 ft towers just behind would be awsome!!!! We already have the best looking ball park,,,, just imagine how it would look with all these towers as a backdrop.....::D :D :D

bushman61988 May 31, 2007 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2869480)
Nahhhh...bring on Vancouver!! I want more more more Vancouverish towers in SD!!! :)

The number of new proposals is surprising - especially considering how we were assured no new projects would be happening for some time.

WOW are you serious?? I HATE with a PASSION the Vancouver skyline...everything looks the freakin same! And it's all like a plateau-type skyline b/c of the height limit.

SDCAL May 31, 2007 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDDTProspector (Post 2869935)
Just imagine sitting at the ball game seeing a nice stepping of 300 to 700 ft towers over the left field line with "the legend" and "diamond view tower in front", then just behind that is "Cosmo square", "the mark" and this new 'Seventh and Market tower", Finally some 600 to 700 ft towers just behind would be awsome!!!! We already have the best looking ball park,,,, just imagine how it would look with all these towers as a backdrop.....::D :D :D

would be nice, unfortunately don't think we will be seeing 600 and 700 ft buildings any time soon :shrug:

SDCAL May 31, 2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushman61988 (Post 2870059)
WOW are you serious?? I HATE with a PASSION the Vancouver skyline...everything looks the freakin same! And it's all like a plateau-type skyline b/c of the height limit.

What is their height limit???

mongoXZ May 31, 2007 11:13 PM

Quote:

Even though these are early renderings I'm glad that it's not a box. Kinda reminds me of the clock tower at the trolley headquarters.

sandiego_urban May 31, 2007 11:23 PM

Here's the photo blown up, which still doesn't really give more detail on the top portion except that there are square indents in the glass. The more I think about it, it wouldn't be so bad if it was all glass since there isn't anything like that in this part of downtown now.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the structure in the lower left of the rendering is part of the Cosmo Square block that should have broken ground by now :(
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12.../7thMarket.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2869480)

My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking we're gearing up for the next highrise boom cycle that probably won't happen until late 2008. By that time, Sapphire, Bayside, Vantage Pointe and the Hilton projects will have been completed. Shortly after that, we should see groundbreakings for 700 Broadway, Cosmo, Library Tower, Strata, 7th & Market, Bosa's First and Island, Columbia Tower, Embassy1414 and Lane Field all happening at the same time, don't you think? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL
It could look 80s or it could look sleek and wonderful, all depends on how they do it. If it's like a seamless glass it would look nice but if they use big defined squares that wouls reminf me of 80s type archtiecture.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about :yes:

dl3000 May 31, 2007 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 2870325)
What is their height limit???

I remember reading somewhere that the city did a big study and now they have varying height limits based on some computer generated study to see where the least impact on views would be, and now it was once 500 ft now its in the 600s, they're building a 600 something foot hotel right now.

mongoXZ May 31, 2007 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 2870510)

My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking we're gearing up for the next highrise boom cycle that probably won't happen until late 2008. By that time, Sapphire, Bayside, Vantage Pointe and the Hilton projects will have been completed. Shortly after that, we should see groundbreakings for 700 Broadway, Cosmo, Library Tower, Strata, 7th & Market, Bosa's First and G, Columbia Tower, Embassy1414 and Lane Field all happening at the same time, don't you think? ;)

Wishful thinking. I'm sure all of Bosa's projects will go up including the one at the Office depot site. But i'm skeptical of Strata and even Cosmo. Geez! what hell is going on with Cosmo???

Derek May 31, 2007 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 2870510)
Here's the photo blown up, which still doesn't really give more detail on the top portion except that there are square indents in the glass. The more I think about it, it wouldn't be so bad if it was all glass since there isn't anything like that in this part of downtown now.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the structure in the lower left of the rendering is part of the Cosmo Square block that should have broken ground by now :(
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12.../7thMarket.jpg

My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking we're gearing up for the next highrise boom cycle that probably won't happen until late 2008. By that time, Sapphire, Bayside, Vantage Pointe and the Hilton projects will have been completed. Shortly after that, we should see groundbreakings for 700 Broadway, Cosmo, Library Tower, Strata, 7th & Market, Bosa's First and G, Columbia Tower, Embassy1414 and Lane Field all happening at the same time, don't you think? ;)

Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about :yes:

What about the NBC?;)

sandiego_urban May 31, 2007 11:54 PM

FYI - I've updated the project list on the first page once again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MongoXZ
Wishful thinking. I'm sure all of Bosa's projects will go up including the one at the Office depot site. But i'm skeptical of Strata and even Cosmo. Geez! what hell is going on with Cosmo???

Yes, it is wishful thinking :haha:

Although I haven't given up on Cosmo or Strata. A friend who lives downtown told me recently that the Strata developer has added 3 more floors to make it a total of 26. Obviously, the project is still being kicked around. Cosmo? Well, the times I've called their office to inquire about it, they keep saying they're finalizing details...I still have hope.

Though not downtown related, it's still newsworthy. From today's SD Metro's Daily Report -

The last of a Del Mar luxury residential enclave has been sold for $35 million -- breaking all-time local and statewide records for residential sales prices. The Madeleine Anne Pickens Trust purchased the last of four parcels at 2808 Ocean Front Ave. It includes a 5,700-square-foot home, guest house and lap pool on 120 feet of beach frontage. Patricia Kramer and Patricia Lou Martin of Prudential California Realty handled the transaction for the seller, Arthur E. Nicholas. Kramer and Martin also represented Nicholas in the earlier sale of three parcels at that address that included a 2,800-square-foot Zen guest house, gym and spa, home theater, orchid house and tennis court. County records reported that Gary E. and Jerri-Ann Jacobs purchased those parcels for $13.15 million earlier this month.

It equals to $6,410.35 a square foot for that house, which is just CRAZY!

SDCAL Jun 1, 2007 1:38 AM

something else not totally related to downtown or high-rises, but close to downtown

Apparently Marriott and the Nickelodeon network are pairing up to create resorts and the first of about 20 is expected to be in SD at liberty station.

Here is the article, there is a small rendering but it doesn't specify if that's the one for here http://www.hotelmotel.com/hotelmotel....jsp?id=430553

Derek Jun 1, 2007 1:41 AM

A water park at Liberty Station? The hotel idea sounds cool, but not necessarily the water park (at least in that location).

More from the article:

The first "Nickelodeon Resorts by Marriott" property is expected to be a 650-room resort at Liberty Station in San Diego, which will incorporate a 100,000 square-foot water park and activity deck complex featuring a variety of pools and interactive attractions. Designed by Gensler, the well-known international architectural firm, the resort is expected to break ground in January 2008 and open in early 2010. Other potential resort locations being considered for development include major family-oriented destinations in the U.S., Caribbean and Mexican resort areas, the UK and Europe, Asia, Australia and the Middle East.