SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Coldrsx Aug 24, 2020 5:11 PM

Back from YYZ; once again the process through the airports was generally quite impressive.

hollywoodcory Aug 24, 2020 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubicon (Post 9020455)
Because they have 5 (6?) airframes and a bunch of aircrew sitting around doing almost nothing. May as well utilize one of them a little more and maybe (if loads are okay) extend the season.

I get they probably don't want 6 787s just sitting around, but they could still get the utilization at LGW (which is already year-round).

As nofly mentioned, it's going to be hard to fill 787s to France in the dead of winter with just a month of advance sales (even pre-COVID). But I guess odder things have happened this year. :shrug:

Dominion301 Aug 25, 2020 10:59 PM

In this time of nothing but route cuts, PAL Airlines announce a new route and two new destinations. They're launching a 5x weekly (X26) YYT-YQM-YOW route. The YQM-YOW leg replaces AC service (PD fly the route too and will be back at some point), and will launch once travel restrictions to Atlantic Canada are eased.

https://www.palairlines.ca/wp-conten...0.08.20-EN.pdf

casper Aug 26, 2020 5:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9020648)
I get they probably don't want 6 787s just sitting around, but they could still get the utilization at LGW (which is already year-round).

As nofly mentioned, it's going to be hard to fill 787s to France in the dead of winter with just a month of advance sales (even pre-COVID). But I guess odder things have happened this year. :shrug:

Probably will not cover the entire cost of the flight, but cargo needs to move between Europe and Canada even if people are not.

hollywoodcory Aug 26, 2020 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9022582)
Probably will not cover the entire cost of the flight, but cargo needs to move between Europe and Canada even if people are not.

True enough, but if WestJet really intends to fly to CDG in the winter they might as well open it up for sale ASAP to gain some bookings. They currently have the advantage of being the only ones serving Western Canada to CDG with AF not operating YVR this winter.

hollywoodcory Aug 26, 2020 5:35 PM

YYC July stats are out.

Domestic: 278,515 -78%
Transborder: 8,347 -97.5%
International: 1,978 -98.8%
July Total: 288,740 -83.3%

Exceeded my expectations again. I suspect August will be just a little higher. Nice to see international numbers again too.

thenoflyzone Aug 28, 2020 4:54 AM

ADM laying of 30% of their staff at YUL and YMX. The press release provides an update on construction projects as well. They need more money to complete the REM train station. Most other projects are on hold.

https://www.admtl.com/sites/default/...203_ENG_VF.pdf

Quote:

Montréal, August 27, 2020 – With the closure of Canada’s air borders continuing for nearly six months now, and in the absence of specific government assistance for a sector of activity that all international experts agree will not recover for many years, ADM Aéroports de Montréal has to make difficult decisions. Since the drop in passenger traffic of 14.5 million (-71%) compared to 2019 will lead to revenue losses of approximately $500 million compared to the anticipated level for the current year, the organization is obliged to tighten its budget revision program initiated last spring, in order to further reduce its costs.

Workforce adjustment

As a result, the organization has to adjust its workforce to meet the minimal activities of YUL and YMX and provide a service that corresponds to its current financial capacity. With 600 employees in its ranks at the beginning of the crisis, this number has now been reduced by 30%, for a total of 428 active resources.
Quote:

Halted projects

In addition, all construction projects that are not designed to protect the integrity of assets will be halted at airport sites. Teams will now focus solely on construction work deemed urgent. In doing so, the 2020 investment budget has been reduced by at least 50%, and the budget for subsequent years will be set at the minimum essential and safe level. The project to build the much-anticipated REM station will continue only in planning mode until the conclusion of ADM’s discussions with the various levels of government for a loan tailored to the current situation.

“Planning for the REM station at YUL is well underway and the entire project management team is in place. In the event that we have to suspend its construction, it would be a missed opportunity for a long-awaited project to efficiently link our international airport to its city through a green and modern infrastructure” added Mr. Rainville.

These cost-cutting measures come on the heels of the numerous measures ADM adopted in the spring, including a hiring freeze, the cancellation of salary increases, the temporary closure of certain areas of the terminal building, and the closure of one runway at YUL.

Dominion301 Aug 29, 2020 1:10 AM

Swoop to being ops at YYZ in late October. No word on destinations yet, except for:

Quote:

As part of its continued recovery plans, Swoop is announcing the start of operations at Toronto Pearson Airport beginning on October 25, 2020...

...Swoop's service at Toronto Pearson Airport will include a mix of domestic and international routes. The winter schedule outlining the destinations and routes will be released in September.
Notice the omission of transborder. Also, I wonder if this is WestJet exodus from YHM v2.0 or will be complimentary?

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...856731935.html

YYCguys Aug 29, 2020 3:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9025952)
Swoop to being ops at YYZ in late October. No word on destinations yet, except for:



Notice the omission of transborder. Also, I wonder if this is WestJet exodus from YHM v2.0 or will be complimentary?

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...856731935.html

Ops at YHM will continue, as per in the article you posted: “Swoop will continue to serve Hamilton as part of its network.“

thenoflyzone Aug 29, 2020 2:23 PM

Hearing rumours that Sunwing vacations might be selling some seats on some of these Swoop flights from YYZ.

Dominion301 Aug 29, 2020 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYCguys (Post 9026035)
Ops at YHM will continue, as per in the article you posted: “Swoop will continue to serve Hamilton as part of its network.“

Just like WS mainline did when they moved most, but not all ops to YYZ. I wonder though if Swoop will reduce YHzm beyond existing COVID-19 reductions or if things stay status quo?

JakeLRS Aug 29, 2020 3:34 PM

I think swoop will definitely continue to serve the domestic market from YHM (there is CLEARLY demand). I just hope they don't pull a WestJet and move the vast majority of their operations to YYZ. Swoop has been a huge boost for the airport.

I am, however, very interested to see which domestic routes swoop will do from YYZ and how they will target Flair. I wouldn't be half surprised if Swoop jumps in on Flairs new routes (Saskatoon, Regina & Fort Mc.)

swimmer_spe Aug 30, 2020 4:54 AM

Does anyone know how to get passenger numbers between 2 airports? Air Canada and Westjet do not want to give it.

thenoflyzone Aug 30, 2020 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimmer_spe (Post 9026858)
Does anyone know how to get passenger numbers between 2 airports? Air Canada and Westjet do not want to give it.

Rightfully so. That's usually privileged information only airlines, airport authorities or the government have access to. If you work in the industry, you could pay and get membership to OAG.com, which would give you the answers you're looking for. Otherwise, it's not gonna happen, at least not for current year numbers.

Check StatsCan. They might have some data compiled from previous years. I know they have O&D data between Canada-US airports (2016 being the most recent year I believe). They're very slow to update these kinds of lists.

hollywoodcory Aug 30, 2020 3:46 PM

WS loaded a revised CDG schedule last night, and looks like the season will end October 23, meaning it will operate for a total of 2 months. It's also only flying once weekly after September 6.

No changes made to LGW, as YVR-LGW is still scheduled in October.

thenoflyzone Aug 30, 2020 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9027063)
WS loaded a revised CDG schedule last night, and looks like the season will end October 23, meaning it will operate for a total of 2 months. It's also only flying once weekly after September 6.

Shouldn’t surprise anyone.

Djeffery Aug 30, 2020 3:52 PM

Used to see that kind of info tossed around a bit on the forums on Flyertalk.com but I haven't been on there in a few years so I don't know if the industry people that frequented the site are still around. Ben Smith from Air Canada used to post a lot on there when he was just a regular VP.

swimmer_spe Aug 30, 2020 4:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9027033)
Rightfully so. That's usually privileged information only airlines, airport authorities or the government have access to. If you work in the industry, you could pay and get membership to OAG.com, which would give you the answers you're looking for. Otherwise, it's not gonna happen, at least not for current year numbers.

Check StatsCan. They might have some data compiled from previous years. I know they have O&D data between Canada-US airports (2016 being the most recent year I believe). They're very slow to update these kinds of lists.

I don't need this year's numbers. However, something within the last 5 years would be good.

Dominion301 Aug 30, 2020 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimmer_spe (Post 9026858)
Does anyone know how to get passenger numbers between 2 airports? Air Canada and Westjet do not want to give it.

Stats Can used to publish O&D stats on domestic city pairs until 1997. Air carriers handling fewer than 250k pax per year were exempt from reporting. I guess the airlines successfully lobbied them to stop. Any city pairs in particular that you’re interested in? I can extrapolate from 1997 data to 2019 that I still remember.

Ottawa U’s library had copies of them that I would literally memorize from cover-to-cover in the late 90s when I didn’t feel like studying. Would not be surprised if they still have them as they can the annual report going all the way back to the late 70s. Did you know until the late 80s that YUL-YOW O&D traffic was around 100,000 a year. In 2019, I bet it was no higher than 5,000 thanks to the ridiculous fares AC charges on this monopoly route.

Recent transborder stats are easy to find thanks to the Americans. I believe it’s the US DOT T-100 report. I have accessed that before.

swimmer_spe Aug 30, 2020 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9027271)
Stats Can used to publish O&D stats on domestic city pairs until 1997. Air carriers handling fewer than 250k pax per year were exempt from reporting. I guess the airlines successfully lobbied them to stop. Any city pairs in particular that you’re interested in? I can extrapolate from 1997 data to 2019 that I still remember.

Ottawa U’s library had copies of them that I would literally memorize from cover-to-cover in the late 90s when I didn’t feel like studying. Would not be surprised if they still have them as they can the annual report going all the way back to the late 70s. Did you know until the late 80s that YUL-YOW O&D traffic was around 100,000 a year. In 2019, I bet it was no higher than 5,000 thanks to the ridiculous fares AC charges on this monopoly route.

Recent transborder stats are easy to find thanks to the Americans. I believe it’s the US DOT T-100 report. I have accessed that before.

A few different ones, but to start, Calgary-Edmonton, Calgary-Regina, and Calgary-Winnipeg


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.