SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

casper Aug 14, 2020 6:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9009075)
Didn't that deal turn to a fiasco?

Yes it did. That is the nature of BC politics. We elect and re-elect the same party until there is a fiasco suitable to do a change.

There were questions about some of the advisors to the government working both the government and bidder side of the deal. The end results is there is a very small line in Metro Vancouver running out to one of the port facilities that is still owned and "operated" by BC Rail.

hollywoodcory Aug 14, 2020 4:42 PM

https://www.condor.com/eu/generated/timetable_S2021.pdf

Condor has posted a planned Summer 2021 schedule which only lists YYZ, YYC and YXY. So far YVR, YHZ and the planned launch to YEG appear to be cancelled. I believe this will likely be further modified and they may only serve YYZ if anywhere in Canada at all.

Dominion301 Aug 14, 2020 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9010679)
https://www.condor.com/eu/generated/timetable_S2021.pdf

Condor has posted a planned Summer 2021 schedule which only lists YYZ, YYC and YXY. So far YVR, YHZ and the planned launch to YEG appear to be cancelled. I believe this will likely be further modified and they may only serve YYZ if anywhere in Canada at all.

YHZ is in there up to 3x weekly. YHZ and YXY are still subject to the government letting these airports getting approved to handle transatlantic flights again by then.

hollywoodcory Aug 14, 2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9010983)
YHZ is in there up to 3x weekly. YHZ and YXY are still subject to the government letting these airports getting approved to handle transatlantic flights again by then.

Thanks for catching that. It’s MUC-YHZ that was cancelled but still showing FRA. I honestly believe this schedule will change anyways to just YYZ if things don’t improve.

hollywoodcory Aug 15, 2020 4:58 PM

WestJet's revised September schedule should be loaded tonight, but appears like not much change on Transborder/International flights.

Only flights to the US likely continue to be YYC-ATL/LAX and YYC-LGW/CDG to Europe.

Summer seasonal routes that are still scheduled should all be removed completely in tonight's update too.

jmt18325 Aug 15, 2020 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LO 044 (Post 9009136)
The new program will be a little worse but it will probably have some sweet spots as well. We just have to figure out the sweet spots for Aeroplan 2.0 and go from there.

For me, the elimination of fuel surcharges makes it a lot better.

nname Aug 16, 2020 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt18325 (Post 9011841)
For me, the elimination of fuel surcharges makes it a lot better.

For me, it's a lot worse. No more 5000+ miles for $600 TPAC round-trip tickets :D

But then it will probably take quite some time for ticket price to fall to the $600 level pre-pandemic.

wave46 Aug 16, 2020 1:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9011851)
For me, it's a lot worse. No more 5000+ miles for $600 TPAC round-trip tickets :D

But then it will probably take quite some time for ticket price to fall to the $600 level pre-pandemic.

You are quite the deal-maker. $600 for a trans-Pacific flight? Where to, if you don't mind me asking? Also, at what time of the year?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Coldrsx Aug 16, 2020 1:29 AM

I rarely pay over $600 to Japan, China.

My best is $495 to HK.

https://www.yegdeals.com

wave46 Aug 16, 2020 1:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 9011893)
I rarely pay over $600 to Japan, China.

My best is $495 to HK.

https://www.yegdeals.com

Man, is over the Pacific really that cheap?

i'd consider those fantastic fares for trans-Atlantic travel. Heck, they're not more than a couple of hundred dollars more than domestic cross-country flights.

I don't generally shop for Pacific fares, so I can't say I'm in the loop.

Coldrsx Aug 16, 2020 1:48 AM

I have paid more last minute from YEG-YVR than YEG-PVG/HKG/NRT.

I regularly go to Asia for under 6 bills.

wave46 Aug 16, 2020 2:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 9011909)
I have paid more last minute from YEG-YVR than YEG-PVG/HKG/NRT.

I regularly go to Asia for under 6 bills.

I'm just mostly astounded. I don't know how they make money on a 10-15 hour flight selling seats at $600 a pop.

Is the market that competitive? Again, you'd think across the Atlantic would be cheaper just because of the number of competitors, but I guess not.

Unfortunately, Asia's just not on my radar for the immediate future. All and wonderful that flights to Japan are so cheap, but I'm expecting that the cost of actually doing things in Japan kind of wipes out the cheap flight quickly.

HK is too unstable right now and China - well, I have opinions.

Oh well, I'll keep it in mind for the future as an interesting factoid.

hollywoodcory Aug 16, 2020 2:21 AM

WestJet September schedule is just like August:

International:
YYC-LGW 3x weekly
YYC-CDG 2x weekly
YYZ-CUN 1x weekly
YYZ-MBJ 1x weekly

Transborder:
YYC-ATL 3x weekly
YYC-LAX 3x weekly

Coldrsx Aug 16, 2020 2:23 AM

Thank you WJ and I continue to be a disappointed FF.

hollywoodcory Aug 16, 2020 4:31 AM

WS has also removed most summer seasonal routes completely now for the rest of the year. The one exception appears to be YVR-LGW which is still currently scheduled in October for all of three weeks.

nname Aug 16, 2020 6:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wave46 (Post 9011887)
You are quite the deal-maker. $600 for a trans-Pacific flight? Where to, if you don't mind me asking? Also, at what time of the year?

Inquiring minds want to know.

From YVR, basically any route that's not direct flight to Japan and Korea are doable for $750 or less, and occasionally go as cheap as about $500. Just book outside of the summer months, Christmas, spring break, and the week before and after CNY.

My family always took AC to TPE... and for the ~15 trips we took, the most expensive we paid was $685 round-trip. This is actually on the expensive side as AC flights to HKG, PVG, PEK are quite a lot cheaper than that. CX to HKG are priced similar to AC.. BR and CI to TPE are just slightly more expensive. HX (before they pulled out) and most of the Chinese airlines are usually much more cheaper.

JL and NH will occasionally have sale that will have competitive price to some of the Asian destinations outside of Japan too.

AC direct flight from YVR to NRT, KIX, ICN, on the other hand, are usually $800 to $1000 during off season.


Quote:

Originally Posted by wave46 (Post 9011921)
I'm just mostly astounded. I don't know how they make money on a 10-15 hour flight selling seats at $600 a pop.

Labor cost are much cheaper on the Asia side... other than that, they really don't make money. Most long-haul flight from China are actually losing money, but they are subsidized by the government and by domestic flights, which are comparatively more expensive and are huge money maker... very similar to what AC did.

My friend once booked a YVR-CAN-SIN round-trip for $560. If you take out the tax, I calculate the airline gets about $60 for each leg... which is cheaper than some people spend for getting two meals in a restaurant... There's no way the airline is making any money from selling this ticket...


Quote:

Originally Posted by wave46 (Post 9011921)
I'm expecting that the cost of actually doing things in Japan kind of wipes out the cheap flight quickly.

If you compare to Europe, Japan is actually not that expensive. The last time I was there, the food was actually cheaper than typical Asian/Japanese restaurants in Canada (although I didn't go to expensive ones at both places). Long distance train travel are certainly cheaper than flying here...

hollywoodcory Aug 16, 2020 6:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9011930)
WestJet September schedule is just like August:

International:
YYC-LGW 3x weekly
YYC-CDG 2x weekly
YYZ-CUN 1x weekly
YYZ-MBJ 1x weekly

Transborder:
YYC-ATL 3x weekly
YYC-LAX 3x weekly

Looks like YYZ-KIN resumes September 5 1x weekly too.

CivicBlues Aug 16, 2020 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wave46 (Post 9011921)
I'm just mostly astounded. I don't know how they make money on a 10-15 hour flight selling seats at $600 a pop.

Is the market that competitive? Again, you'd think across the Atlantic would be cheaper just because of the number of competitors, but I guess not.

Unfortunately, Asia's just not on my radar for the immediate future. All and wonderful that flights to Japan are so cheap, but I'm expecting that the cost of actually doing things in Japan kind of wipes out the cheap flight quickly.

HK is too unstable right now and China - well, I have opinions.

Oh well, I'll keep it in mind for the future as an interesting factoid.

Asia is literally more than just China and Japan :rolleyes:

wave46 Aug 17, 2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicBlues (Post 9012575)
Asia is literally more than just China and Japan :rolleyes:

Well, the poster mentioned China, Hong Kong and Japan in the post I quoted, so that's why I replied in the fashion I did.

I mean, I guess I could have listed the dozens of countries in Asia, but you know, brevity. Asia's an interesting place, no doubt, but just not on my radar.

ACT7 Aug 18, 2020 8:21 PM

This may have already been discussed on here but I'm too lazy to search for it. Does anyone know why Qatar has already ended YYZ? Or was it always meant to be temporary? The original announcements made it sound like a scheduled flight commencement.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.