SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

J_Murphy Nov 13, 2016 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdotr (Post 7621391)
Just noticed this from VOCM regarding the pedway at the Avalon Mall.
http://vocm.com/news/avalon-mall-loo...ges-with-city/

This is a private property looking for assistance from the city to rebuild their pedway. I don't agree with this.

I don't think they are referring to the pedway. Seems like they are talking about a bridge. Presumably the one near Dollarama on O'Leary.

Engibeer Nov 14, 2016 1:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7621685)
I don't think they are referring to the pedway. Seems like they are talking about a bridge. Presumably the one near Dollarama on O'Leary.

Yeah they're talking about the actual O'Leary Ave bridge next to CarQuest Auto Parts / Dollarama.

Crombie (Avalon Mall owners) are offering 1/2 MM to expedite the process so they can get on with adding more mall parking on their own dime. I don't quite see where that parking would be but that's irrelevant for now.

cdotr Nov 14, 2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engibeer (Post 7621771)
Yeah they're talking about the actual O'Leary Ave bridge next to CarQuest Auto Parts / Dollarama.

Crombie (Avalon Mall owners) are offering 1/2 MM to expedite the process so they can get on with adding more mall parking on their own dime. I don't quite see where that parking would be but that's irrelevant for now.

Ah yes there is clarification on VOCM today...
http://vocm.com/news/avalon-mall-loo...ges-with-city/

J_Murphy Nov 14, 2016 1:07 PM

Another downtown fixture has moved out of the downtown core. Canary Cycles is now located at 7 Lemarchant Road where Cychotic was located.

Arrakis Nov 14, 2016 4:00 PM

I'm still somewhat confused. What is the relationship of the proposed new bridge and the proposed new parkade? Are they physically connected somehow?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdotr (Post 7621952)
Ah yes there is clarification on VOCM today...
http://vocm.com/news/avalon-mall-loo...ges-with-city/


ec1983 Nov 15, 2016 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7621975)
Another downtown fixture has moved out of the downtown core. Canary Cycles is now located at 7 Lemarchant Road where Cychotic was located.

Any idea why Cychotic closed? Seemed like the best bike shop in town.

PoscStudent Nov 15, 2016 2:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ec1983 (Post 7623008)
Any idea why Cychotic closed? Seemed like the best bike shop in town.

Probably bought out?

PoscStudent Nov 15, 2016 2:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7622121)
I'm still somewhat confused. What is the relationship of the proposed new bridge and the proposed new parkade? Are they physically connected somehow?

From what I saw I think the bridge is just old and needs replacing, the mall is offering to assist the city because it impacts them. I guess O'Leary Avenue will see increased traffic with a parkade built.

rthomasd Nov 15, 2016 7:56 PM

Wasn't it a father and son with a business each ; father getting on in age ( 70 + ) wanted to retire ??

Copes Nov 17, 2016 4:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7622121)
I'm still somewhat confused. What is the relationship of the proposed new bridge and the proposed new parkade? Are they physically connected somehow?

I suspect that the city won't let them build the parkade until the bridge is replaced, likely because of traffic. I'm assuming they want to build a parkade in the parking lot on the corner of O'Leary and Thorburn? The one the pedway walks across to? Which wouldn't be an awful location.

Again, this is all my assumption. City is likely several years away from replacing the O'Leary bridge, preventing Crombie from building their parkade. Crombie, I suspect, feels the increased foot traffic at the Avalon Mall will pay for the money they are going to invest in the bridge if they can get it done next year.

jeddy1989 Nov 23, 2016 1:45 PM

Came across a post from Ballistic Skate & Snow saying that they're closing shop!

Quote:

After an eventful twenty-one years, Ballistic will close its doors.
We are having a CHRISTMAS SALE-A-BRATION
20% OFF STOREWIDE
https://www.facebook.com/ballisticsk...type=3&theater

elizabethf1985 Nov 23, 2016 5:50 PM

Yep, Lorne Loder was on CBC this morning talking about it. Too bad he couldn't sell it to someone instead of closing it altogether. It's closing in early January.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...reet-1.3863832


Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 7631164)
Came across a post from Ballistic Skate & Snow saying that they're closing shop!

https://www.facebook.com/ballisticsk...type=3&theater


elizabethf1985 Nov 25, 2016 2:06 PM

Templeton's in downtown St. John's is closing up shop: http://vocm.com/news/templetons-clos...business-gone/

PoscStudent Nov 25, 2016 2:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elizabethf1985 (Post 7631431)
Yep, Lorne Loder was on CBC this morning talking about it. Too bad he couldn't sell it to someone instead of closing it altogether. It's closing in early January.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...reet-1.3863832

I doubt anyone would want to buy it if business isn't going well.

PoscStudent Nov 25, 2016 2:38 PM

On a positive note I noticed work being done on the old Future Shop building. Marshall's also had more ads this week looking for employees. Not sure what their timeline is for opening.

rthomasd Nov 25, 2016 4:25 PM

I wonder what Compusult will do with the vacant lot next door, I believe they were wanting to put an office complex there and needed some of the Templeton parking area since they couldn't buy part of the 351 parking lots. Perhaps this will now be an opportunity for them?

PoscStudent Nov 25, 2016 6:04 PM

^ good point!

Offshore1 Nov 29, 2016 4:44 PM

I know they're closed already but here's an update on West End Electronics.
Pretty tough for retailers these days, I wonder where all this will end?

http://vocm.com/news/west-end-electr...es-bankruptcy/

rthomasd Dec 13, 2016 12:42 AM

According to today's City Council meeting, the Avalon Mall was approved for the construction of a 4 level 848 space parkade.

J_Murphy Dec 13, 2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 7649471)
According to today's City Council meeting, the Avalon Mall was approved for the construction of a 4 level 848 space parkade.

I'm wondering if they are building this to make room on their current parking lot for expansion of the mall. I don't see why else they would build a 4-level parkade??


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.