SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

Tempe_Duck Nov 9, 2009 5:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 4547273)
Anyone else getting the new Modern Warfare 2 game coming out 11/10/09?

I just read an article on AZCentral that it is expected to surpass Darknight in first week of sales (over $155 million!!!) and it is expected to ultimately sell over $500 million worth of units.

I am. It looks great. Do you have Xbox live gold?

CraftTeutonic Nov 9, 2009 5:47 AM

COD is overrated in my opinion. There are a lot of better games coming out this year

Leo the Dog Nov 9, 2009 3:20 PM

Yeah I'm getting it on 360 assuming they haven't sold out by the time I get there.

Vicelord John Nov 9, 2009 5:22 PM

a photochop I did a while back of how Phoenix would look if all the places were built that were proposed in 2006-07

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...a/phuture2.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...nixphuture.jpg

Vicelord John Nov 11, 2009 8:06 PM

This drives me nuts too looking at the downtown of Lincoln, IL, a city of 14,000 people. Granted there isn't much going on, but if there was a street like this in downtown Phoenix, I feel it would be amazing.

With all the zero lot line buildings and a pedestrian friendly street, one could redevelop a lot of the old buildings and have cafes, bars, boutiques, etc in the lower levels and rent out the 2,3 apartments above each storefront. I love that town and it's too bad the economy was sucked dry by wal mart because this downtown used to be really vibrant, even more so than Phoenix's.

If the Jackson Street Entertainment District or something similar had a stock of buildings like this, it would be amazing! I just can't believe I'm comparing downtown phoenix to a downtown in rural Illinois in a farm town of 14,000.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...untitled-2.jpg

azliam Nov 11, 2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4553360)
This drives me nuts too looking at the downtown of Lincoln, IL, a city of 14,000 people. Granted there isn't much going on, but if there was a street like this in downtown Phoenix, I feel it would be amazing.

With all the zero lot line buildings and a pedestrian friendly street, one could redevelop a lot of the old buildings and have cafes, bars, boutiques, etc in the lower levels and rent out the 2,3 apartments above each storefront. I love that town and it's too bad the economy was sucked dry by wal mart because this downtown used to be really vibrant, even more so than Phoenix's.

If the Jackson Street Entertainment District or something similar had a stock of buildings like this, it would be amazing! I just can't believe I'm comparing downtown phoenix to a downtown in rural Illinois in a farm town of 14,000.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...untitled-2.jpg

Let's not forget Bisbee...and its population is only a little over 6,000.

HooverDam Nov 16, 2009 7:24 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ayden1116.html

Quote:

End of a record for state's 'Silent Senator'
Hayden was longest serving member of Congress
1 comment by Dan Nowicki - Nov. 16, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic
WASHINGTON - As the soft-spoken chairman of the powerful Senate Appropriations Committee and Senate president pro tempore, Carl Hayden was a legislative giant who was instrumental in the evolution of modern Arizona, with the 1968 creation of the Central Arizona Project water-delivery system perhaps his greatest achievement.

He also was a fixture on Capitol Hill for 56 years, representing Arizona for 20,773 days - a milestone that remained unmatched until this week.

On Wednesday, Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.V., will mark his 20,774th day on the Hill, making him the new longest-serving member of Congress and robbing Arizona of a longtime political claim to fame. Byrd, who turns 92 on Friday, entered the House on Jan. 3, 1953, and moved to the Senate on Jan. 3, 1959.

But a broken record will not diminish a Hayden legacy that includes the 336-mile CAP aqueduct network, Glen Canyon Dam and the Kitt Peak National Observatory.

"He really was a champion of the development and growth of the American West," said Jack August, an Arizona political historian and author of the 1998 book "Vision in the Desert: Carl Hayden and Hydropolitics in the American Southwest."

"He had no qualms about using federal taxpayer money to help develop the infrastructure: water, power, highways - those types of things that we take for granted."

Hayden, a Democrat, entered the House on Feb. 19, 1912, as Arizona's first representative. He ascended to the Senate in 1927 and served a then-unprecedented seven consecutive terms before retiring on Jan. 3, 1969, at age 91. He died three years later, on Jan. 25, 1972.

Historians, colleagues and other Arizona politicians say Hayden should be remembered as more than a trivia question or just the namesake of Carl Hayden Community High School in west Phoenix. Hayden was a respected leader who, despite their party differences, counted iconic conservative Sen. Barry Goldwater, R-Ariz., as a friend. Hayden's use of his position to funnel spending and resources to the state markedly contrasts with the anti-pork and anti-earmark sentiment of the man who now holds his old Senate seat, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.

"To me, he was the most honest politician that I'd ever known or even heard about," said Roy Elson, Hayden's longtime Senate chief of staff. "He was just an institution in himself in that he did things all over the country, not just in Arizona."

Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii, the third-longest-serving senator in history and the current Senate Appropriations Committee chairman, praised Hayden as "a powerful and gracious man," fondly remembering "his quiet manner" and frequent lunch invitations.

"We both entered the Congress when our states were in their infancy and shared the bond of being our state's first elected members of Congress," said Inouye, who joined the Senate in 1963. "He brought a firm but kind demeanor to his dealings, and I am humbled to have shared some of his time in the Senate."

Tempe's favorite son

Hayden was born Oct. 2, 1877, in Hayden's Ferry, soon to be renamed Tempe, in the building that today is Monti's La Casa Vieja restaurant on Mill Avenue. Hayden served on the Tempe Town Council and as territorial Maricopa County sheriff before winning a 1911 special election to go to Congress upon Arizona's admission to the union.

His life spanned an era of rapid technological advancement that took him "from the advent of automobiles to voting for funds to send people to the moon," August, the historian, said.

Hayden remained a popular figure in Tempe, where he enjoyed a warm homecoming around the time of his final Senate race in 1962. Hayden, then in his 80s and facing whispers about his advanced age and health issues, still was able to weather a bitter challenge from future Republican Gov. Evan Mecham.

"I put a sign in my yard for him, and I went to one of his political meetings, and I heard him speak and I shook his hand," recalled Rep. Harry Mitchell, D-Ariz., a former Tempe mayor. "He spoke Spanish, and he was greeting people in Spanish, too. Everybody knew that he was powerful and that he was quiet. He was powerful because of his seniority and because he got things done."

'The Silent Senator'

Politicians and former staff members who knew Hayden inevitably mention his low-key and easygoing style. But his economical use of words meant that whenever Hayden talked, his colleagues listened.

"He was known as 'the Silent Senator,' but he used silence as a form of political power," August said.

Despite his nice-guy reputation, Hayden was hard-nosed when it came to protecting Arizona's water supplies and tangled with California's congressional delegation over the Colorado River throughout his career in Washington.

His efforts culminated late in his final Senate term with passage of the CAP legislation. The idea to deliver Colorado River water into Arizona was a priority of the state's bipartisan delegation for years, but Hayden got much, if not most, of the credit because of his prominence and influence in the Senate. Upon signing it into law, President Lyndon Johnson proclaimed Sept. 30, 1968, as "Carl Hayden Day."

"To tell you the truth, he was a very obliging person, a very courteous person," recalled Stewart Udall, an Arizona congressman from 1955 to 1961 and secretary of the Interior from 1961 to 1969. "He was chairman of the Appropriations Committee for such a long time and had done so many favors for other senators and congressmen, if he made a request for them to support something like the Central Arizona Project, of course they would go along."

End of an era

Hayden declined to seek an eighth Senate term in 1968. "I tried talking the senator into running again," said Elson, his longtime aide. "He said, 'Roy, you know it. This is the time to retire.' And he came back home."

Goldwater, who'd been out of the Senate since his unsuccessful 1964 presidential campaign, ran for and won the seat, defeating Elson, the Democratic nominee. Goldwater said he wouldn't have run had Hayden decided to try for re-election.

"They were very close, and Goldwater always said, 'Leave Senator Hayden alone' when election time came," Udall said.

Hayden's 1972 funeral was held at Gammage Auditorium on the Arizona State University campus in Tempe. Goldwater and Johnson were his eulogists, bringing together the two rivals of the hard-fought 1964 White House race. Johnson saluted Hayden as every state's "third senator" because of his national contributions.

McCain won the retiring Goldwater's seat in 1986. He said he still often thinks of his predecessors, noting that for a small, growing state, Arizona in the 20th century produced far more than its share of national leaders.

"Carl Hayden's bust is here in the Russell (Senate Office) Building, and I pass by it every single day," McCain said.

Its really sad to see a racist, biggoted, backwards Klansman pass a great man like Senator Haydens record. Hayden was responsible probably more than any other single person for Arizonas growth and was instrumental in the hydro politics of the entire West. I read Visions in the Desert this summer and highly recommend it to anyone, its an easy read and will really make you appreciate how hard he worked for AZ and also make you realize how useless McCain and Kyl are.

mwadswor Nov 20, 2009 8:40 PM

Phoenix area legal experts (I know there at least a couple members on here who are or have been in law school) I have a question for you.

I live in an apartment complex with assigned parking spaces. I pay for my parking space with my rent, the space number is on my lease. I have an end space, which is nice because it's wider, so I can park my motorcycle and my fiance can park her car in the same assigned parking space.

However, probably because it's an end space and my fiance and I both work late. Douchebags keep parking in my space :hell: :hell: :hell: , sometimes overnight. I don't get home until the office is closed, so I have to find somewhere else to park, which is infurriating to no end. It's even mroe infuriating when I get home, park my motorcycle, and some douchebag parks in the space with me... with my motorcycle already in the space. WTF is wrong with you? :hell: :hell: :hell:

I tried just calling the number for the towing company myself (it's posted all over the space, right next to the sign that says reserved), but they wouldn't do anything about it unless the office called them. This leads to 2 questions that I would like legal advice on.

1) Why can't I call the towing company myself? I pay for that space every month, I own that space just like I own my apartment. If someone broke into my apartment I'd call the cops, I wouldn't call the office and have them call the cops. Why doesn't the same principle apply to my parking space? Could I call the cops and have them write a parking ticket for the person in my space?

2) Possibly more importantly, if I take a tire iron and beat the holy living shit out of the car in my space, would I be on the hook for vandalism? I know there are all sorts of laws in Arizona saying that if someone breaks into my apartment I can use force with pretty much no provocation to remove them, right? Does that same principle apply to a car in my parking space... an extension of my apartment? What if I shoot the car? I'm allowed to shoot an intruder, right? Am I allowed to shoot the intruding car instead?

2B) If the gun's ok but the tire iron isn't (who knows, this is a gun happy state), I don't own a gun, anyone want to lend me one? :D

plinko Nov 20, 2009 9:08 PM

^You could both inform the office and also leave a note on the car? Just a thought...

Vicelord John Nov 20, 2009 10:39 PM

1) Why can't I call the towing company myself? I pay for that space every month, I own that space just like I own my apartment. If someone broke into my apartment I'd call the cops, I wouldn't call the office and have them call the cops. Why doesn't the same principle apply to my parking space? Could I call the cops and have them write a parking ticket for the person in my space?

If you infact live in an apartment, then you do not own it, and your ownership wouldn't translate to a parking space anyhow. The space is owned by the HOA or management company and you are entitled to the rights to it.

The reason they want you to call the office and recieve verification is because if they didn't require it, any schmuck could call and say "thats my parking space, tow the car in it!!" The towing company doesn't want the liability of taking a car which they legally had now grounds to take. I've been through the same situation 100 times in my complex.

2) Possibly more importantly, if I take a tire iron and beat the holy living shit out of the car in my space, would I be on the hook for vandalism? I know there are all sorts of laws in Arizona saying that if someone breaks into my apartment I can use force with pretty much no provocation to remove them, right? Does that same principle apply to a car in my parking space... an extension of my apartment? What if I shoot the car? I'm allowed to shoot an intruder, right? Am I allowed to shoot the intruding car instead?

Absolutely you'd be on the hook for vandalism. You don't OWN the parking space. It is not DEEDED to you, and even if it were, it's not your home. Same principle applies to land you own or your front yard. You can threaten, but not use deadly force to make someone leave your property, if it is rightfully yours. A parking spot in this case is probably not legally yours. And FYI, you're not always allowed to just shoot someone because they came in your house. In my 100+ hours of firearm law firearm training, I've heard many horror stories about this. If someone were to come in your house and you just shot them, you'd have a hard time selling that as well as if someone came in your house, and you said you were going to shoot, and then did.

2B) If the gun's ok but the tire iron isn't (who knows, this is a gun happy state), I don't own a gun, anyone want to lend me one?
I know you're speaking in jest, but this is an easily rectifiable situation. Parking your bike in the middle of the space ensures that someone cannot occupy it.

If you're like most people, you wedge it up to the front of the space. Your best option at this point is to notify your apartment manager (they should be on site) or your HOA manager (if you actually live in a condo... I'm confused about this because you mention ownership and apartment in the same sentence.) They will either ignore you or handle it. My HOA gave me a written letter stating that my parking space belongs to my unit, and anytime someone parks in it, I can call towing.

There are easier ways to handle this than to simply bash a car with a tire iron and cause more problems than you already have.

mwadswor Nov 20, 2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4569819)
If you infact live in an apartment, then you do not own it, and your ownership wouldn't translate to a parking space anyhow. The space is owned by the HOA or management company and you are entitled to the rights to it.

The reason they want you to call the office and recieve verification is because if they didn't require it, any schmuck could call and say "thats my parking space, tow the car in it!!" The towing company doesn't want the liability of taking a car which they legally had now grounds to take. I've been through the same situation 100 times in my complex.

No, any schmuck couldn't call and say "that's my parking space." The space number is on my lease right next to my apartment number. It wouldn't be that hard for them to send a tow truck, and when it gets here I can show them my paperwork showing that the space is assigned to me.

Quote:

If you're like most people, you wedge it up to the front of the space. Your best option at this point is to notify your apartment manager (they should be on site) or your HOA manager (if you actually live in a condo... I'm confused about this because you mention ownership and apartment in the same sentence.) They will either ignore you or handle it. My HOA gave me a written letter stating that my parking space belongs to my unit, and anytime someone parks in it, I can call towing.
I wedge it up at the front of the space so my fiance can park her car next to me. I shouldn't need to park in the middle of the space and then get out of bed later (I work early in the morning, she works late at night at the moment... it's lame) to move the bike and allow her to park in the space.

I tried going to the apartment manager (apartment, not condo, "own" was the wrong word), they gave me option A and said too bad.

Quote:

There are easier ways to handle this than to simply bash a car with a tire iron and cause more problems than you already have.
Sure, but none of them are nearly as satisfying :D

I wouldn't actually, mostly because I don't want them to retaliate in kind, but it's definitely fun to think about :notacrook:

Vicelord John Nov 21, 2009 12:23 AM

I told you what you legally have grounds to do and you are seeming kind of argumentative about it????

Another thing you can do is leave a note on the car explaining this is your space and they shouldn't park in it anymore. You can also teach your girlfriend to move your bike around. I taught mine incase it should ever come up. She has trouble with the heavier one, but she can move my sport bike around just fine.

Is it the same car every time? How big is your complex? I have about 170 units where I live and can tell you who drives most cars in the lot. You should be able to track it down that way. If it's different vehicles then I think you should be a little firmer with management.

Which community if I may ask?

Vicelord John Nov 21, 2009 12:30 AM

oh, and follow this thread as it goes.... I posted it on one of the most resourceful sites on the net...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothrea...92570#62092570

oh, and um, don't ask why my name on that site is a 16 year old kid named kenny that goes to desert mountain high school.... I'll just say if it said john and had my real info, the name would be banned by now.

They aren't as tolerant of my douchebaggetry as this site.

mwadswor Nov 21, 2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4570052)
I told you what you legally have grounds to do and you are seeming kind of argumentative about it????

Another thing you can do is leave a note on the car explaining this is your space and they shouldn't park in it anymore. You can also teach your girlfriend to move your bike around. I taught mine incase it should ever come up. She has trouble with the heavier one, but she can move my sport bike around just fine.

Is it the same car every time? How big is your complex? I have about 170 units where I live and can tell you who drives most cars in the lot. You should be able to track it down that way. If it's different vehicles then I think you should be a little firmer with management.

Which community if I may ask?

I'm not argumentative I'm annoyed (with the system, not you). Your options, while probably correct, ummm... blow. It's my spot, it's on my lease, I have the paperwork. I shouldn't have to go through the office or park my motorcycle inconveniently to defend it. If someone decided to camp out in my apartment I could call the cops and show them the lease with my name and the apartment number. I don't understand why the same principle doesn't apply to the parking space also on the same lease.

I'm not sure how many units are in my complex... somewhere in the neighborhood of 170 is probably accurate. I don't know any of the cars except those that park in my area though. If it were the same car every time I'd probably be more committed to figuring out who's it was, but it's typically a different car every time. Once or twice a week since April. I've seen one pull in once or twice and told them to fuck off, but it only stops that one vehicle that one time.

It's a complex called "the enclave" http://www.equityapartments.com/broc...09 12:00:00 AM. This is not a hit piece on the apartment complex, by the way. I actually love every other aspect of the community, which is why this issue is so grating. My parking space was regularly abused at my previous apartment complex, but I had other issues with the apartment complex, so I just moved. I actually like this one, so I don't want to move, I just don't want people parking in my space :hell:

nickkoto Nov 21, 2009 12:52 AM

Find a pack of the biggest blank shipping labels you can (like 8.5" by 5.5"), print out a tow notice on them (write it like some ambiguous form letter that the apartment manager can slap on any mis-parked car, not a "This is my parking space!" notice that clearly came from you), and apply one directly to the driver's door window. Apply it to the glass, not a painted surface. It won't damage anything, but it's kind of a 5-minute nuisance to remove.

I don't think most people would go to the manager's office and try to follow up on it, saying "Hey, I parked in this spot that wasn't mine, but what the fuck?"

mwadswor Nov 21, 2009 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickkoto (Post 4570114)
Find a pack of the biggest blank shipping labels you can (like 8.5" by 5.5"), print out a tow notice on them (write it like some ambiguous form letter that the apartment manager can slap on any mis-parked car, not a "This is my parking space!" notice that clearly came from you), and apply one directly to the driver's door window. Apply it to the glass, not a painted surface. It won't damage anything, but it's kind of a 5-minute nuisance to remove.

I don't think most people would go to the manager's office and try to follow up on it, saying "Hey, I parked in this spot that wasn't mine, but what the fuck?"

Now that's a suggestion I like. It'll satisfy my urge for vandalism without actually being vandalism.

mwadswor Nov 21, 2009 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4570069)
oh, and follow this thread as it goes.... I posted it on one of the most resourceful sites on the net...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothrea...92570#62092570

oh, and um, don't ask why my name on that site is a 16 year old kid named kenny that goes to desert mountain high school.... I'll just say if it said john and had my real info, the name would be banned by now.

They aren't as tolerant of my douchebaggetry as this site.

:tup:

but now how do we know that you're not really a 16 year old kid named Kenny and this is the site you'er faking your information on? I like how you add to the confusion by writing "im 16 and i cant own a gun" over there and "In my 100+ hours of firearm law firearm training" over here.

Vicelord John Nov 21, 2009 1:00 AM

I like Nick's idea, but in honesty, I wouldn't want to be messing with anyone's car even with a sticker. I would hate to be seen and then they retaliate by fucking with your bike which would be very easy.

Why not just call someone at Equity, not some douchebag bitch in the rental office, but someone who actually has some authority. Demand they discount your rent until they can figure out how to keep your parking space yours. Tell them since you are paying for it, you expect it to be available. If they aren't going to take the steps to make it available, then you don't want to pay for it and you want $50 a month off your rent (covers the parking space.)

BrandonJXN Nov 21, 2009 1:06 AM

I have Tekken 6! Bob and Miguel are too good.

Video Link

Video Link

HooverDam Nov 23, 2009 10:49 PM

So like I posted in the joke thread I was telling jokes at the Sangria Luxe Lounge last night which is a place worth going if only for the gorgeous wait staff. But it was in an interesting development called The Citadelle Plaza, has anyone been there? Its sort of like a mini CityNorth or Westgate. Its interesting because its not really a strip center in the traditional sense but its not really a fully fleshed out new urbanist center either. Its turned in on itself with 'city streets' bisecting it, diagonal on street parking and everything is two stories. However those no residential component and due to the economy most of the shops are dead right now. Also theres no real anchor (a movie theater wouldve been ideal, perhaps even an art house since there's none on the West side) so it seemed kinda dead last night. But its worth checking out from an urbanism nerd stand point, the whole thing seems like someone read half of a James Howard Kunstler book, got really excited and went out and did it with out reading the rest.