SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: ORD & MDW discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87889)

N830MH Jan 29, 2018 4:43 AM

She's at it again!

She at it again! She went back to O'Hare property again. She got arrested again. She will get another trespassing charges. That's why she didn't listen from the judge. She was not supposed to be there.

http://abc7chicago.com/serial-stowaw...ohare/2999426/

This is so ridiculous! She will be held without bail. She need a treatment and also she need to be punished again. She needs psychiatrist.

Kngkyle Jan 30, 2018 4:33 PM

Chicago is getting its first non-stop flight to Africa later this year.

Ethiopian Airlines is starting service to Addis Ababa in June.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...-in-june-2018/

F1 Tommy Jan 30, 2018 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 8066445)
Chicago is getting it's first non-stop flight to Africa later this year.

Ethiopian Airlines is starting service to Addis Ababa in June.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...-in-june-2018/

Great news after missing out on SAA a few years back. I see EA are getting their first 787 9's this year.

the urban politician Jan 30, 2018 7:01 PM

About time. A lot more Africans in the region these days, so it was bound to happen

Steely Dan Jan 30, 2018 7:53 PM

cool!

left of center Jan 30, 2018 8:52 PM

Hope it adds to the city's diversity!

nomarandlee Jan 30, 2018 10:08 PM

It is great news.

Not surprised because Chicago has a pretty strong Ethiopian population I think. I am surprised because I would think the Gulf Airlines would have a decent lock on the East African Market.
Kind of would have expected a western/southern/northern African airline. Though we don't have a huge expat presence of any except maybe Nigerians? from those regions.

spyguy Feb 19, 2018 4:47 PM

New AA Concourse L Stinger
https://i.imgur.com/rPs0fth.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/q27y9vZ.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/chiWZyn.jpg?1

Steely Dan Feb 19, 2018 4:50 PM

^ it looks like a bit of a hike out to the stinger gates.

do they have any moving walkways in the connector?

Kngkyle Feb 19, 2018 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8090826)

Nope. They said it's too narrow for moving walkways.

ardecila Feb 19, 2018 9:58 PM

The stinger is mainly for LCCs, right? I’m guessing airport planners weren’t too concerned about the length of the walk...

wchicity Feb 19, 2018 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8091204)
The stinger is mainly for LCCs, right? I’m guessing airport planners weren’t too concerned about the length of the walk...

The stinger is for AA regional ops. Its main purpose is to move all regional ops out of H/K so that AA can convert those to mainline gates.

Tom In Chicago Feb 20, 2018 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8090826)

IAH terminal B is like that too. . . I'm always connecting through Houston on my way to Laredo on United and it's a pain since I could be arriving in terminal E - all the way at the other end of the airport. . . at least with AA xfers at ORD they would be in the same terminal. . .

. . .

k1052 Feb 25, 2018 10:28 PM

Looks like the submarine is about to surface....

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...n-deal-planned

$6 billion-plus O'Hare expansion deal about to land

https://i.imgur.com/wCOajWg.jpg

Quote:

After more than a year of hard-ball bargaining led through Mayor Rahm Emanuel's office, the city appears to have closed in on a deal for a massive expansion of O'Hare International Airport's passenger area, with dozens of new gates and 3 million square feet of terminal space to be added by 2026.

The deal is expected to be officially unveiled within days and introduced to the City Council meeting this week. But that schedule could slip amid a last-minute dispute over whether to grandfather in five new gates American Airlines already has been building off the L concourse in Terminal 3, or whether to count them against the carrier's share of the new gates.

Though other big airports around the country are expanding, too, landing the deal on gates and a related O'Hare master lease agreement would be a major coup for the airport, whose position has slipped in recent years, and for Emanuel, as he prepares to seek a new term. It also would allow the city and the carriers to take full advantage of the billions of dollars they've spent in the past decade for new and relocated runways at O'Hare.

The overall price tag: more than $6.1 billion, not counting other elements already underway worth hundreds of millions and possibly billions of dollars. This latest work would be paid for with landing fees from carriers, seat charges on passengers, ancillary income such as concession revenue and possibly some federal grants.
Quote:

Among other key items: new gates not only for O'Hare's dominant carriers, United and American Airlines, but discount carriers that have been seeking more space; new international space that would allow baggage to go directly to domestic gates, rather than forcing passengers to recheck items after emerging from customs; huge additions of new club space for upscale passengers, and construction of a 10,000-space employee parking lot on O'Hare's western edge that officials say could be the first step toward a western terminal that DuPage County economic leaders long have been pushing for.

No one yet wants to discuss this officially. But here's what I hear from several sources, both in the city and the aviation business, who have direct knowledge of where things stand:

At its core, the plan is similar to one outlined by City Aviation Commissioner Ginger Evans in a speech last September to the Economic Club. There are three key elements.

First, two satellite terminals would be built to the west of Terminal 1, connected to the main terminals via walkways and tunnels. Terminal 1 now is used by United, O'Hare's largest carrier.

Second, the existing Terminal 2 used both by American and United for domestic flights would be demolished and replaced by an expanded international terminal, with customs and border-protection facilities.

Third, doing both would allow United and American and their international partners to shift operations out of the existing international terminal, Terminal 5. The new T-5, which already is getting nine new wide-bodied gates under a previously announced deal, would house all operations of Delta and its partners, as well as be the new home of discount carriers Spirit, Jet Blue, Alaska/Virgin and Frontier. It appears the latter would get a net gain of five to 10 new gates, with some of that already underway via a gate swap with American.
Quote:

Overall, total space in O'Hare terminals would go from 4.3 million square feet now to 7.4 million square feet. Total linear frontage for aircraft parking in this Phase 1 plan would leap 22 percent, with O'Hare adding more than a mile of airplane frontage.

Doing all that would allow an additional 30 to 34 planes to park and accept passengers, including the nine new T-5 gates under construction and the five American is building. However, those figures are a mix of spaces for wide-bodied and narrow-bodied aircraft, so the number added depends on how you divide up the space. O'Hare now has roughly 186 aircraft spaces.
https://i.imgur.com/HClIM2w.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cdw7wED.jpg

wchicity Feb 26, 2018 12:01 AM

Interesting that the "Gate Allocation" figure mentions Air China. Air China does not even fly to ORD.

Overall, seems like an interesting plan. Excited to see how it all pans out.

spyguy Feb 26, 2018 1:26 AM

About time O'Hare saw its own massive terminal project. Hopefully this is on the same level architecturally as other new global airports and the existing T1 and T3 are completely renovated. The image above also seems to show the Rotunda building surviving, which would be cool. 2 new hotels and a renovated Hilton will also hopefully lure some $ away from Rosemont.

OhioGuy Feb 26, 2018 2:00 AM

The Tribune has a rather lengthy article about the major expansion/update at O'Hare:

Chicago, airlines nearing $8.5 billion deal to dramatically expand O'Hare
By Bill Ruthhart | Contact Reporter
Chicago Tribune

February 25, 2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:

ayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago’s airline carriers are in the final stages of negotiating a blockbuster $8.5 billion deal to dramatically expand O’Hare International Airport with a state-of-the-art global terminal, dozens of new gates and several additional concourses, the Chicago Tribune has learned.

The eight-year plan would be the single largest and most expensive terminal revamp in O’Hare’s 73-year history. The goal is to vault the airline hub long known for its gridlock and delays into the 21st century by growing its sluggish number of international flights and creating more room for its domestic carriers.

Emanuel is seeking to leverage the May expiration date of the airlines’ 35-year lease to secure higher fees and charges from the carriers that would help bankroll the ambitious project. The Aviation Department would borrow against the future airline fees to pay for the construction, which city officials said would not require taxpayer dollars.

The 55-year-old Terminal 2 would be torn down to make way for a new “Global Terminal” with wider concourses and gates to accommodate the larger aircraft that embark on international flights to places like Hong Kong and Dubai. Terminals 1, 3 and 5 would be renovated, while two new satellite concourses would be constructed to the west of the existing terminals and connected to the new Global Terminal by an underground pedestrian tunnel.

All told, more than 3.1 million square feet of terminal space would be added — a 72 percent increase over the current 4.3 million square feet.

bnk Feb 26, 2018 2:15 AM

Where did this come from

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...223-story.html

Chicago, airlines nearing $8.5 billion deal to dramatically expand O'Hare

Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago’s airline carriers are in the final stages of negotiating a blockbuster $8.5 billion deal to dramatically expand O’Hare International Airport with a state-of-the-art global terminal, dozens of new gates and several additional concourses, the Chicago Tribune has learned.

The eight-year plan would be the single largest and most expensive terminal revamp in O’Hare’s 73-year history. The goal is to vault the airline hub long known for its gridlock and delays into the 21st century by growing its sluggish number of international flights and creating more room for its domestic carriers.

All told, more than 3.1 million square feet of terminal space would be added — a 72 percent increase over the current 4.3 million square feet.

The amount of space for planes to park at airline gates would increase by 25 percent, and the total number of gates would jump from 185 today to roughly 220 upon the project’s completion in 2026, Aviation Commissioner Ginger Evans confirmed in an exclusive interview with the Tribune.

Emanuel declined an interview for this story. Privately, however, he has told business leaders and confidants that the O’Hare overhaul would be a “game changer” for Chicago, a move he has predicted could become one of his top achievements as mayor.

The airlines’ incentive for the big spending? More business and better customer service.

United and American, for example, would be located in the Global Terminal with major international partners Lufthansa, All Nippon Airways, British Airways and Japan Airlines. Some “spoke” carriers like Delta, for example, would relocate to what’s now international Terminal 5, where customers easily could connect to KLM, Air France, Korean Air and Aeromexico.

“The non-hub airlines get their own space in Terminal 5, their own entrance, their own hotel, more club room, more paid space, they will be closer to the city. They love that,” said a source familiar with the negotiations who was not authorized to speak about them publicly. “And American and United essentially get a better internationally connecting complex, because to send passengers over to or from Terminal 5 is a pain in the ass. Nobody likes that.

“So, in the end, American, United and the other non-hub airlines all agreed,” the source said. “It gives everyone sort of what they want.”

In the airline industry, having domestic and international airlines in the same terminal is known as a “global alliance hub,” Evans said, pointing to London’s Heathrow Airport and Tokyo’s Narita International Airport as the standard. O’Hare would become the first such global alliance hub in the U.S., Evans said.

“My boss, the mayor, has this thing: ‘I don’t just want O’Hare to be bigger, it has to be the best,’ and this is one of the ways we’re going to leapfrog over the other U.S. international terminals,” Evans said.

ardecila Feb 26, 2018 4:07 AM

Disappointing there’s so little progress toward a western access. Employee parking lot, seriously? This expansion is increasing the number of gates significantly but does nothing to address congestion in the access roads and drop off zones.

At the very least there should be a people mover station (without bag check) accessible from York Road and linking into the new T2 concourses.

Chicago29 Feb 26, 2018 4:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8099266)
Disappointing there’s so little progress toward a western access. Employee parking lot, seriously? This expansion is increasing the number of gates significantly but does nothing to address congestion in the access roads and drop off zones.

At the very least there should be a people mover station (without bag check) accessible from York Road and linking into the new T2 concourses.

I think actual western access will not happen until the EOWA gets completed, and that last phase is currently stalled.