SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: ORD & MDW discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87889)

denizen467 Mar 22, 2012 1:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5625019)
last September they gave the go-ahead for design to begin, and that process should take 9 months maximum.

I am thrilled about this. Not that I would ever really have a need for renting a car at ORD, but the antiquated system of balkanized surface lots and endlessly roving, gas-belching mini-buses just needs to go -- if for nothing else than to be more hospitable to visitors during blizzards and bitter cold (wait, do we have winter anymore?). Not long ago I was craning my neck at LAX arrivals waiting for a Hertz shuttle and it took like a half-hour, not helped by the fact that other commercial minibuses also use the yellow livery scheme. One frequent, unified shuttle, to one indoor facility, will work great. Obviously getting the ATS out there would make it even better.

Plus, it adds a new shiny construction project at ORD -- the first new public building there in 20 years (T5, 1993) I think?

denizen467 Mar 22, 2012 1:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5635918)
his bone-headed Peotone Airport boondoggle idea.

It even got creepy-boneheaded during his victory speech the other night; he was touting it as though it was the only thing between his citizens and the promised land. Can he not come up with economic stimulus ideas that don't involve pushing at windmills?
Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5635918)
nobody can beat him until he dies or decides to resign.

Maybe the latter will come sooner rather than later if Mr. Obama appoints him as Deputy Secretary of this-and-that, or Ambassador to New Zealand or somewhere. Isn't Yusef or one of his brothers a lot more competent than him? Have him run to fill the seat and it would be a great improvement. Anyway, not to get political.

ardecila Mar 22, 2012 3:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 5636646)
Plus, it adds a new shiny construction project at ORD -- the first new public building there in 20 years (T5, 1993) I think?

The first ground-up building in awhile, yea. There have been minor terminal expansions and so forth, plus the huge canopy-and-stairs project that cost nearly 400 million dollars.

The RFP that came out a few years ago showed garages that looked very similar to the massive ones on the north side of Midway. I'll be interested to see what these look like.

Kippis Mar 22, 2012 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5499827)
No, the bypass will run east of York and the railroad tracks. There's no room to the west without ripping out even more of Bensenville.

Since this stuff is within the Runway Protection Zone, everything has to be at-grade or lower, so there's a lot of earthmoving and overpasses. New UP alignment is blue. You can also see the new road into the cargo area.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8464/oharesw.jpg

ardecila, where did you find that image? I've been trying to find more visual info on this for a while; maybe my Google-fu is slipping...

This -- and the western terminal complex -- is the piece of the puzzle I'm most interested in, since the Elgin O'Hare as-built looks like it was designed to carry another lane in each direction. You can see that most notably at Meacham Rd: http://g.co/maps/4ktpb

And it's interesting to note that even without the proposed bypass, the new UP alignment over Irving Park Rd. will significantly reduce travel times from Bensenville to Schiller Park along that stretch. The overpass has already been constructed, but the new tracks aren't live as of this past weekend. When I lived out that way a few years ago, I always used Irving Park/Mannheim to get to O'Hare. Lots of times I wished I didn't have to deal with that occasional slow-moving freight train... ;)

ardecila Mar 22, 2012 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kippis (Post 5637119)
ardecila, where did you find that image? I've been trying to find more visual info on this for a while; maybe my Google-fu is slipping...

This -- and the western terminal complex -- is the piece of the puzzle I'm most interested in, since the Elgin O'Hare as-built looks like it was designed to carry another lane in each direction. You can see that most notably at Meacham Rd: http://g.co/maps/4ktpb

And it's interesting to note that even without the proposed bypass, the new UP alignment over Irving Park Rd. will significantly reduce travel times from Bensenville to Schiller Park along that stretch. The overpass has already been constructed, but the new tracks aren't live as of this past weekend. When I lived out that way a few years ago, I always used Irving Park/Mannheim to get to O'Hare. Lots of times I wished I didn't have to deal with that occasional slow-moving freight train... ;)

The linework is from the EIS for the West Bypass project. I took it into Illustrator and deleted some unneeded layers, then I overlayed it on an aerial. It only took about 5 minutes.

Kippis Mar 25, 2012 3:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5637267)
The linework is from the EIS for the West Bypass project. I took it into Illustrator and deleted some unneeded layers, then I overlayed it on an aerial. It only took about 5 minutes.

Better you than me. There are times when I loathe Illustrator :rolleyes: ...but thanks for taking the time to do that; it's great to have that extra layer of info via the aerial.

F1 Tommy Mar 25, 2012 11:00 PM

Interesting aircraft sitting over at the UAL hangar, a United Airlines Charter 747-400. I did not know United was getting into dedicated charter services.

nomarandlee Mar 27, 2012 6:24 AM

Gary Airport

Quote:

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/1153793...ove-ahead.html

airport, railroad reach agreement; runway project can move ahead

by michelle l. Quinn post-tribune correspondent
march 26, 2012 11:16am

gary — the last and biggest piece of the gary/chicago international airport runway expansion has been signed, and now work can continue on the $162 million project without legal concern.

Mayor karen freeman-wilson announced at monday morning news conference at the airport that with the help of her office, the airport and canadian national railway have signed both the purchase and sale agreement for the easements needed for the track relocation and the design and engineering contracts governing the technical and engineering aspects of the project. The move brings the airport “one step closer to federal aviation administration guidelines,” she said.

“this really does what happens when partners work together,” freeman-wilson said. “while the expansion is not done, the written agreements give rise to it.”

the mayor said she and her administration, including corporate counsel niquelle allen, had 7:30 a.m. Conference calls daily with the airport and cn to iron out the last details. Those details, according to interim airport director steve landry, dealt with indemnification backing and guarantees with regards to liabilities and environmental issues.

Freeman-wilson also reminded the group that per that gary/chicago compact, the gary airport is the third airport, and the south suburban airport near peotone, ill., would be the fourth, even if it were larger.

“peotone could be set up more as an international presence, but gary is the third airport,” she said. “the expansion will bring construction jobs to the city as well as increased activity to the airport.”..........

Work on the relocation, meanwhile, won’t look like it starts immediately because it’s been going on all along, landry said. While signing the agreements were a relief for everyone, they were going to be signed eventually; it was just a question of “when” and not “if.”..........
..more in link

ardecila Mar 27, 2012 4:55 PM

Hopefully the runway expansion will mean Gary can actually get some regular service...

202_Cyclist Mar 29, 2012 3:16 PM

LOT Polish Airlines will likely offer O'Hare's first Dreamliner flight

LOT Polish Airlines will likely offer O'Hare's first Dreamliner flight

By Gregory Karp
Chicago Tribune
March 28, 2012

"LOT Polish Airlines is the first airline to announce that it will offer a Chicago O'Hare flight aboard a revolutionary Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft.

LOT will begin service in January 2013 between Chicago and Warsaw, Poland, its CEO said Wednesday at a news conference in Chicago. "Chicago is our biggest market, not only in the U.S. but worldwide," said LOT Polish Airlines CEO Marcin Pirog. Last year, the airline flew 160,000 passengers between Chicago and Warsaw, he said.

O'Hare's most dominant airline, United Airlines, is scheduled to take delivery of a 787 slightly earlier -- scheduled for the second half of this year -- and would "likely" use a 787 on routes through Chicago, possibly as soon as the fourth quarter of this year, spokeswoman Mary Ryan said. However, United hasn't announced a flight schedule for the aircraft..."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,2933248.story

Kngkyle Mar 29, 2012 7:44 PM

^ Interesting that Chicago is their biggest market. 160,000 yearly passengers is 438 per day, enough for a 747, not that they have them or that it would be a smart business move.

I also bet we'll see a United 787 in Chicago first. Although this might still be the first international 787 service. United will probably use it on hub-hub domestic routes at first for training purposes, like ANA is doing.

Ch.G, Ch.G Mar 29, 2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 5646291)
^ Interesting that Chicago is their biggest market. 160,000 yearly passengers is 438 per day, enough for a 747, not that they have them or that it would be a smart business move.

I also bet we'll see a United 787 in Chicago first. Although this might still be the first international 787 service. United will probably use it on hub-hub domestic routes at first for training purposes, like ANA is doing.

Chicago is one of the largest centers of the Polish diaspora.

Kngkyle Mar 29, 2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G (Post 5646575)

I know that, it still seems odd that such a long route would be their biggest market. You would think Warsaw to London for example would be bigger since it's much closer. I suppose it depends on what he means by 'biggest market'- revenue? passengers? profit?. I was under the assumption it was passengers but that seems off.

Nowhereman1280 Mar 30, 2012 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G (Post 5646575)

THE largest center.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 5646721)
I know that, it still seems odd that such a long route would be their biggest market. You would think Warsaw to London for example would be bigger since it's much closer. I suppose it depends on what he means by 'biggest market'- revenue? passengers? profit?. I was under the assumption it was passengers but that seems off.

There are more Poles in Chicago than in any other city on Earth except Warsaw. It would only make sense that the two largest concentrations of Polish people on the planet would be the biggest route for a Polish airline...

N830MH Apr 1, 2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5643354)
Hopefully the runway expansion will mean Gary can actually get some regular service...

Yes, Allegiant Air will start flying from GYY once the runway extension is completed.

ardecila Apr 1, 2012 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 (Post 5647357)
There are more Poles in Chicago than in any other city on Earth except Warsaw. It would only make sense that the two largest concentrations of Polish people on the planet would be the biggest route for a Polish airline...

This is a common trope, but it's also a really really old one. If it was true at one point 80 years ago, I doubt it still is.

Chicago has lots of people who are descended from Polish immigrants (I'm one of them) but many of us are not really Polish culturally, outside of a few random traditions, and have little reason to visit the old country.

This is not to belittle all the recent Polish immigrants that populate the Northwest/Southwest Sides, but that wave of immigration is dwarfed by the previous one, whose descendants have all pretty much Americanized fully.

jpIllInoIs Apr 1, 2012 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 5649296)
Yes, Allegiant Air will start flying from GYY once the runway extension is completed.

Is this a fact? The rail removal and runway extension will not be completed for several years. Did the airline sign a contract and make a commitment to fly out of GYY in 2014? 2015?

Standpoor Apr 1, 2012 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs (Post 5649681)
Is this a fact? The rail removal and runway extension will not be completed for several years. Did the airline sign a contract and make a commitment to fly out of GYY in 2014? 2015?

Allegiant has already started flying out of GYY with twice weekly flights to MCO. The flights seem to be popular but whether or not they are profitable is a different matter entirely. If you mean do they have a long term commitment with the airport to provide service two three years from now, I do not know. Allegiant is not exactly known for keeping disappointing routes open for long. They did extend booking through the end of the year though.

Nowhereman1280 Apr 1, 2012 7:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5649448)
This is a common trope, but it's also a really really old one. If it was true at one point 80 years ago, I doubt it still is.

Chicago has lots of people who are descended from Polish immigrants (I'm one of them) but many of us are not really Polish culturally, outside of a few random traditions, and have little reason to visit the old country.

This is not to belittle all the recent Polish immigrants that populate the Northwest/Southwest Sides, but that wave of immigration is dwarfed by the previous one, whose descendants have all pretty much Americanized fully.

I suspect it is still true... Most of the original wave of Post WWII poles are still alive and more have joined them since the fall of communism.

denizen467 Apr 3, 2012 5:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 5646291)

I believe the first 787 to be received by United was ordered by then-Continental, and their plan (even well after the merger) was to use it out of the Houston hub to Auckland NZ. Assuming that hasn't changed, a Chicago 787 might not be a domestic-only route. Roughly speaking the 787 is replacing 767-class aircraft, and my impression is that at ORD, 767s tend to go medium-haul to Europe or Hawaii, and not domestically in the lower 48 (though they might also be used medium-haul on coast-to-coast domestic routes). It would make sense to run the Chicago 787 on lucrative routes to 1st-tier European cities or 2nd-tier (or already-served 1st-tier) Asian cities.

You're right it's strange that LOT's "biggest market" would be Chicago, considering Poles presumably have lots of business and holiday travel to London, the Mediterranean, not to mention places in Germany or other adjacent countries. However, it turns out LOT is really a comparitively small airline, and behemoths like ever-growing Lufthansa (which acquired Swiss, etc) next door are not helping that situation.