SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

wmemeadusjr Oct 1, 2020 11:34 AM

GoodLife Fitness Avalon Mall location, which closed in March due to Covid-19, never re-opened in July like the other GoodLife locations in Metro. I just heard it will be rebranded and re-open as a Fit4Less location. I am not sure when. Fit4Less is basically a white label brand also owned by GoodLife, which offers just the basics and fewer perks in exchange for lower priced membership fees....sort of like a No Frills for the gym world.

wmemeadusjr Oct 5, 2020 12:51 PM

Crews are working on the former Quizno's in Mount Pearl and also the former Madison MacKenzie on Kenmount Road. They obviously have tenants but I have no idea what they are. Anyone else know?

detroitdan1982 Oct 11, 2020 2:46 PM

Does anyone know when The Brick is opening? Will it be before December?

Tocchet22 Oct 19, 2020 11:47 AM

300 Kenmount Road

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 9063972)
Crews are working on the former Quizno's in Mount Pearl and also the former Madison MacKenzie on Kenmount Road. They obviously have tenants but I have no idea what they are. Anyone else know?

This looks to be new tenant for former Madison MacKenzie space:

https://www.kivik.store/

Marty_Mcfly Oct 19, 2020 12:01 PM

The Starbucks at 351 Water Street is permanently closing. Since Starbucks was looking to close locations this is not a surprise.

statbass Oct 19, 2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 9077724)
The Starbucks at 351 Water Street is permanently closing. Since Starbucks was looking to close locations this is not a surprise.

As you mentioned, not surprising seeing that Starbucks have been closing locations throughout NA. However, Starbucks will be opening a location in CBS. So it looks like we will net a difference of 0.

J_Murphy Oct 19, 2020 1:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 9077746)
As you mentioned, not surprising seeing that Starbucks have been closing locations throughout NA. However, Starbucks will be opening a location in CBS. So it looks like we will net a difference of 0.

No starbucks downtown is a bit surprising. Perhaps the fact they now charge over $3 for a medium drip coffee has been people not going there as much. I know that I don't go there 1/4 of what I used to.

statbass Oct 19, 2020 1:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 9077768)
No starbucks downtown is a bit surprising. Perhaps the fact they now charge over $3 for a medium drip coffee has been people not going there as much. I know that I don't go there 1/4 of what I used to.

Yes, no doubt the cost of a regular coffee at Starbucks is becoming egregious... and this is coming from someone who enjoys Starbucks coffee. However, I normally only buy coffee at the store when I have gift card. It's usually brewed at home. :)

Tocchet22 Oct 19, 2020 2:27 PM

There was another Starbucks ready to open in Delta Hotel lobby in early Spring. I've heard construction is complete but it has yet to open.

Larla77 Oct 19, 2020 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 9077768)

Many big employers downtown are either downsizing or moved out of downtown (or both). Doesn't surprise me to see that Starbucks going because of that alone. Also I believe the federal government is still working from home (feel free to correct me on that one) so there aren't many people who would be working downtown right now.

Any word on any other Starbucks locations closing in NL?

PoscStudent Oct 20, 2020 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 9077986)
Many big employers downtown are either downsizing or moved out of downtown (or both). Doesn't surprise me to see that Starbucks going because of that alone. Also I believe the federal government is still working from home (feel free to correct me on that one) so there aren't many people who would be working downtown right now.

Any word on any other Starbucks locations closing in NL?

I work for the feds downtown and went to this location at least once every two weeks for lunch. I’ve been working from home since March.

Engibeer Oct 21, 2020 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 9077724)

Kind of surprised by this. The Husky employees (even post-layoffs) kept fairly constant traffic through that location.. although I'm sure their lease is insanely expensive.

statbass Oct 21, 2020 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engibeer (Post 9080343)
Kind of surprised by this. The Husky employees (even post-layoffs) kept fairly constant traffic through that location.. although I'm sure their lease is insanely expensive.

Starbucks had plans to close down 200 stores nationwide this year, I guess this was one of the locations. I was reading somewhere (may have been on another SSP thread) this is a common practice with Starbucks. They constantly reassess locations and close some spots when leases expire while opening others (CBS location for example). The 200 closures are much higher than normal... no shocker there.

KAO79 Oct 21, 2020 6:51 PM

The Starbucks on Water Street may be closing, but the new location in CBS is open for business now.

I’m happier that Second Cup in the Avalon Mall just FINALLY announced they’ll be back soon. Apparently they couldn’t get out of their lease with the mall so they are opening back up, under new management. ❤️❤️

statbass Oct 21, 2020 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAO79 (Post 9080804)
The Starbucks on Water Street may be closing, but the new location in CBS is open for business now.

I’m happier that Second Cup in the Avalon Mall just FINALLY announced they’ll be back soon. Apparently they couldn’t get out of their lease with the mall so they are opening back up, under new management. ❤️❤️

Is the second cup location on Stavanger opened up again?

KAO79 Oct 26, 2020 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 9080871)
Is the second cup location on Stavanger opened up again?

No, just the Avalon because they couldn’t get out of their lease. The previous owner of both was a franchisee, and now the Avalon store has gone corporate instead.

KDMusic Oct 26, 2020 3:35 PM

Don't have a picture of it but there is now a map of stores in the mall's expansion section, which includes Levi's which hasnt been announced yet! Levi's, Bikini Village, and Skechers will be next to each other in the new section of the mall

suvla85 Oct 27, 2020 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDMusic (Post 9085411)
Don't have a picture of it but there is now a map of stores in the mall's expansion section, which includes Levi's which hasnt been announced yet! Levi's, Bikini Village, and Skechers will be next to each other in the new section of the mall

I think allnewfoundlandlabrador.com reported Levi's was coming back at the beginning of the year.

KDMusic Oct 29, 2020 8:17 PM

https://i.imgur.com/7IuW3Hq.png

Here's a picture of the map in the new mall expansion!

Arrakis Nov 6, 2020 5:57 PM

Lawtons Drugs is closing it’s Campbell Ave location at the end of the month. It’s been for quite a long time. It will be missed as that’s where I get my prescriptions. Link to story below...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...sing-1.5792322