SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

jackster99 Sep 4, 2013 5:20 PM

Well, we will all know soon enough if this is fake news or not. In the meantime, JamesDL posted more:

Hi all,

word is that a rendering showing the tower integrated in the New York skyline will be available soon. High resolution renderings will follow by the end of the month, most likely developed by DBOX. A homepage (just like with 0ne57) is currently under development, although a proper name has not been chosen yet.

Just this morning I spoke with a friend of mine about the project . We are both very eager to watch this beautiful tower rise in the next years and grace our skyline.

Also, I'd like to add that new D.O.B. filings will be submitted pretty soon. If everything goes according to plan, a construction start by the end of the year is very likely.

Regards,
James

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eveningsong (Post 6254407)
Green cladding? :yuck:

JamesDL also gave some more info regarding that:

Don't worry about the cladding, it will be of the highest quality. The rendering shows a dark green cladding with some black panels (more like lines) in between. A very interesting pattern if you ask me.

I gotta get back to work.

Have a nice day all,

Regards,
James

King DenCity Sep 4, 2013 5:45 PM

U know what, my mom's brothers sister in law's daughter's boyfriends dad says he knows donald trump, and he heard on the telephone he will be riding on a flying turkey... Oh what is that u say? Going to a giant circus? oh the TELEPHONE made it sound different. (SARCASM) See, classic case of telephone. whether it's taller, shorter, fatter or actually a mammal wait 'til the actual press release. JamesDL's statements mean NOTHING as far as I'm concerned, and if I am wrong than u can go and call me "Fred Farty Pants".

Sorry for so many posts. :)

PS. Maybe I want to be called that. ;)

JayPro Sep 4, 2013 5:47 PM

Green can work *exceptionally* well if done right.
This architecture firm is well noted for working local regional influences into their designs. I see no reason why this can't be pulled off.

jackster99 Sep 4, 2013 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King DenCity (Post 6254485)
U know what, my mom's brothers sister in law's daughter's boyfriends dad says he know donald trump, and he heard on the telephone he will be riding on a flying turkey... Oh what is that u say? Going to a giant circus? oh the TELEPHONE made it sound different. (SARCASM) See, classic case of telephone. whether it's taller, shorter, fatter or actually a mammal wait 'til the actual press release. JamesDL's statements mean NOTHING as far as I'm concerned, and if I am wrong than u can go and call me "Fred Farty Pants".

Sorry for so many posts. :)

PS. Maybe I want to be called that. ;)

That's ok if they mean nothing to you. But in the meantime it's at least interesting to read what he has to say, and share them here since he is only posting on SSC. We will know pretty soon he wasn't telling the truth if renders aren't out by the end of September. But for now, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. There are no really obvious holes in the information he has given thus far.

reencharles Sep 4, 2013 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King DenCity (Post 6254446)
^Don't trust it, everything seems fishy and it seems like this guy got what he wanted... attention.

PS. Suddenly going from no spire or crown to having them? Let's be realistic people, these are the same guys who designed Kingdom Tower and Burj Khalifa... Don't u see some inconsistency?

Exact. I also posted this in the SSC. Barnett said the building would NOT have a crown, will now have?!

I was very disappointed with this "news", but rather wait for confirmation before me disappointed for complete. :dunno:

King DenCity Sep 4, 2013 6:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackster99 (Post 6254491)
That's ok if they mean nothing to you. But in the meantime it's at least interesting to read what he has to say, and share them here since he is only posting on SSC. We will know pretty soon he wasn't telling the truth if renders aren't out by the end of September. But for now, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. There are no really obvious holes in the information he has given thus far.

I'm fine with that, just take comfort knowing that it's 50/50 chances of this being the truth if not less.

King DenCity Sep 4, 2013 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reencharles (Post 6254515)
Exact. I also posted this in the SSC. Barnett said the building would NOT have a crown, will now have?!

I was very disappointed with this "news", but rather wait for confirmation before me disappointed for complete. :dunno:

This is ridiculously out of character for both the architects and Barnett. This guy may be telling the truth but doesn't have all the facts, It doesn't seem realistic that they would let this leak or that the height would make it shorter than 432 park, Barnett has wanted to top 432 park for awhile now and would lose vast amounts of money by shortening the building height.

Although not realistic the design concepts are certainly original from the sound of it.

miesian Sep 4, 2013 8:45 PM

Curvy and green with a crown.....hmm.. KING CUCUMBER! :frog:

King DenCity Sep 4, 2013 8:50 PM

^Haha, and while we're at it we should say hello to queen tomato over at 107 W 57th. :)

Zapatan Sep 4, 2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King DenCity (Post 6254559)
This is ridiculously out of character for both the architects and Barnett. This guy may be telling the truth but doesn't have all the facts, It doesn't seem realistic that they would let this leak or that the height would make it shorter than 432 park, Barnett has wanted to top 432 park for awhile now and would lose vast amounts of money by shortening the building height.

Although not realistic the design concepts are certainly original from the sound of it.

There was a recent article stating that this would top 432 but I think they were mistaken and just going from the 1550 rumor. We have no logical reason to believe this tower will end up taller than 1250.

antinimby Sep 4, 2013 11:46 PM

Zapatan, it's freaky but your number of posts happens to be 1550!

-Filipe- Sep 4, 2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 6254973)
There was a recent article stating that this would top 432 but I think they were mistaken and just going from the 1550 rumor. We have no logical reason to believe this tower will end up taller than 1250.

1550 was never a rumor, it was the permit filings.

King DenCity Sep 5, 2013 1:00 AM

I believe there was too much buildup for the height to be reduced this much, If it is reduced then Barnett was a fool and will lose all his wow factor with the status of "1550' to the highest occupiable floor", "Taller than 432 park" and "Tallest building in the western hemisphere by roof height" tied to this project. It seems unusual and a bit like an architectural soap opera.

CCs77 Sep 5, 2013 2:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Filipe- (Post 6255039)
1550 was never a rumor, it was the permit filings.

Exactly, and as a matter of fact, this last information is much more like a rumor. It could end up being true, but also could be anybody just making that up.
Those 1550 feet is indeed official information, if the devoloper decided to decrease the height, for whatever reason, it is another thing.
Anyway, we'll have to wait and see what is the true truth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by King DenCity (Post 6255104)
I believe there was too much buildup for the height to be reduced this much, If it is reduced then Barnett was a fool and will lose all his wow factor with the status of "1550' to the highest occupiable floor", "Taller than 432 park" and "Tallest building in the western hemisphere by roof height" tied to this project. It seems unusual and a bit like an architectural soap opera.

I think that about 99 % of newyorkers weren't aware that they were possibly going to build a 1550+ skyscraper. (as most of them must not know that they are building such a tall tower as 432 Park for example)
You can be sure that if it the decreased height end up being true, Barnett would have a good reason for that. If for him is more convienent to build a 1250 ft. tower instead of 1550 one he would do the former. His primary objetive is not to build the tallest tower in New York, that is just a plus.
And architectural soap opera has been a lot, how many projects has been announced to much fanfarre and ended up at nothing at all? At least this one, with more or less height, seems to be build.

King DenCity Sep 5, 2013 2:10 AM

I believe there is a word for what this guy is doing... it's called TROLLING

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCs77 (Post 6255155)
Exactly, and as a matter of fact, this last information is much more like a rumor. It could end up being true, but also could be anybody just making that up.
Those 1550 feet is indeed official information, if the devoloper decided to decrease the height, for whatever reason, it is another thing.
Anyway, we'll have to wait and see what is the true truth.

I think that about 99 % of newyorkers weren't aware that they were possibly going to build a 1550+ skyscraper. (as most of them must not know that they are building such a tall tower as 432 Park for example)
You can be sure that if it the decreased height end up being true, Barnett would have a good reason for that. If for him is more convienent to build a 1250 ft. tower instead of 1550 one he would do the former. His primary objetive is not to build the tallest tower in New York, that is just a plus.
And architectural soap opera has been a lot, how many projects has been announced to much fanfarre and ended up at nothing at all? At least this one, with more or less height, seems to be build.

1. I'd say more Like 98.23% ;) but those majority NYers are not his customers.
2. Not with all the hubbub his to-be customers are reading about, going from topping all the buildings in the western hemisphere to barely taller than the soon-to-be 3rd tallest? I don't think so, he would lose the appeal.
3."Next Time on Days of our Skyscrapers..." :)

Zapatan Sep 5, 2013 6:44 AM

Quote:

I mean if 1 world trade center is no longer really 1776 feet I see no reason why he can't chop off 300 feet for economic reasons. He wouldn't lose anything, not many people even know this tower is going up anyway, like stated before 99% of the general public are probably unaware of this project.

Quote:

Zapatan, it's freaky but your number of posts happens to be 1550!
Haha maybe it's a sign :D

Honestly, if it somehow ends up 1550 or beyond (I highly doubt it will) we are very lucky but I think you're silly if your hopes are too high.

NYguy Sep 5, 2013 1:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King DenCity (Post 6254559)
Barnett has wanted to top 432 park for awhile now and would lose vast amounts of money by shortening the building height.

I don't think Barnett will lose "vast amounts of money" with a shorter tower. Whatever the height will be, it will be taller than One57. And no one has said the tower would be "smaller". It's probably just configured to give Barnett more money for the development. And as I've said earlier, don't assume this is the last tower Gary Barnett is going to build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 6254973)

Until revised permits are filed, or details of new plans are released, we'll go with what we know officially. That's why all of the press articles still refer to the building as being 1,550 ft, and that's why we haven't changed the thread title here. No one wants to operate on rumors, until they become facts or come from a source that could give the facts. That 1,550 ft height comes from official City documents.

Quote:

I believe there was too much buildup for the height to be reduced this much, If it is reduced then Barnett was a fool and will lose all his wow factor

I think not. Barnett has said height has never been the issue with his developments. His One57 is significantly shorter, but in the meantime it's become one of the most successful in Manhattan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by King DenCity (Post 6255164)
I believe there is a word for what this guy is doing... it's called TROLLING

I find the information to be very credible, although it could already be dated.

Let's revisit some earlier posts on the topic:

Quote:

http://observer.com/2012/05/gary-bar...d-57th-street/

according to sources outside the developer, Mr. Barnett has tapped another Pritzker firm, Herzog & de Meuron, of 40 Bond fame, to build a 1,250-foot residential tower at Broadway and 57th Street. Yes, One57 was not enough. When it stops being the best, this project, and so many others, will be ready to carry on the legacy. When asked about the project, Mr. Barnett did not deny it, though he noted that, “Nothing has been settled, not the height, not the architect.”

What there was not room to say was the rest of the impressive firms under consideration: Herzog & de Meuron beat out fellow European Pritzker winners Norman Foster, Richard Rogers and Jean Nouvel and local favorites SHoP, according to our sources. The tower, as specified in the competition brief called for a multi-story base of offices with residences and a hotel on top, a top-of-the-line mixed use tower.

As Mr. Barnett made clear, any of this could change, but it shows a continued commitment to high-end design at the very least.

Quote:

http://observer.com/2012/11/gary-bar...50-foot-tower/

By Matt Chaban
11/27/1

The new tower’s height, according to building permits filed last week: 1,550 feet. That would make it the world’s sixth tallest building—at least until something else comes along and knocks it off its pedestal.

That is a good 50 percent taller than either the Chrysler Building or One57, while all three are about the same size, between 1.2 and 1.4 million square feet. The tower will be slender, but it will also be solid unlike some of its spindly rivals, notably 432 Park and predecessors like the Trump World Tower.

Previously, it had been speculated that 225 West 57th Street would top out around 1,250 feet, but Mr. Barnett has pushed beyond that to new heights.

“There won’t be a spire or anything like that, the floors will go all the way to the top, or almost to the top, with some mechanicals above,” Mr. Barnett said. “This is not a gimmick.”

Quote:

By Elliot Brown
December 16, 2012

New York-based Extell is aiming high: Last month, the company filed a permit application to build a 1,550-foot tower on the site just east of Broadway between 57th and 58th streets. While the precise height could easily change—Mr. Barnett said plans were very preliminary—the developer is clearly gearing up to build one of the tallest towers in the city...

Quote:

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/03/...arew-luncheon/

Although Extell’s nearby development at 225 West 57th Street is expected to be the tallest residential building in the city, Barnett was more skeptical. “I don’t think it will turn out to be the tallest building,” he said.

Quote:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/130319854

BY MATT CHABAN
MARCH 19, 2013

The new building, set to rise at 225 W. 57th St., will reach at least 1,550 feet, according to building permits, though Gary Barnett, Extell's principal, has said it could go even higher if he can assemble more air rights.

Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/re...ewanted=1&_r=0

By JULIE SATOW
June 7, 2013

“Building tall is not about bragging rights,” he said recently, during a conversation in the nondescript conference room of his offices on Third Avenue; he was wearing slacks and a mock turtleneck. “What drives the building is design, the views, the economics.” He built One57 to its full height “because we couldn’t get in all the air rights any other way — once you have it, the ability to build it, I didn’t want to just throw it away.”

Still, deciding a building’s height is a judgment call, and “there have been times that I had air rights but I didn’t end up using them,” he said. Extreme height adds time and uncertainty to a project, as well as construction costs. One57, for instance, was waylaid when Hurricane Sandy snapped off a crane boom and left it dangling far above the street. Mr. Barnett is weighing these considerations for his Nordstrom property, he said, and said he may choose to forego the full 1,550 feet.

I wouldn't be surprised if the tower height was reduced, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were higher. Either way, it will be a brand new addition to the City's skyline, will no doubt be a quality design, and will be under construction soon. When the renderings are revealed, the excitement will jump up a notch, despite whatever the final height will be.

King DenCity Sep 5, 2013 4:04 PM

You Know what, Whatever the truth is I'll just be happy with a building over 1000'. If this new construction continues at this rate then 1000 footers will be fillers quite soon. And If it does turn out to be shorter I can bet on getting a new tallest under construction by 2015.

PS. I am gonna restate some facts but what 1250' tower takes 5 years to build? Don't forget the new signs up at the lot "Work on this project Is scheduled to be completed by November 2018. Thank you for your patients". ??????? :| I still don't trust it.

jackster99 Sep 5, 2013 4:24 PM

The saga of JamesDL continues. I guess ill just keep posting his comments here for those who haven't gone over to SSC yet:

Well, the Nordstrom Store will occupy the base, which will be quite massive. If I remember correctly the first 7 or 8 floors will have a slightly different cladding than the rest of the tower. Still green, but not that dark. According to the rendering the base won't be very visible anyway.

The crown won't be that big. It is my understanding that the mechanical floors will be integrated somehow. The illumination will be classy, with some interesting patterns.

Regarding the shape of the tower, there will be 3 setbacks.

Hope I could help.

Regards,
James

Towersteve Sep 5, 2013 5:05 PM

I'd bet the building will end up being closer to 1,550' despite the rumors. The higher floors are worth the most due to the views.