SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   My City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
-   -   Magnificent Merrickville: 19th Century Eastern Ontario (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169848)

flar May 31, 2009 5:31 AM

Magnificent Merrickville: 19th Century Eastern Ontario

Merrickville, Ontario

A village along the Rideau River in Eastern Ontario, founded in 1794.

Rideau Canal

http://aas.ath.cx/threads/merrickville.jpg

My non-Hamilton/Toronto/Ottawa/London photo tours:

Guelph, OntarioFergus, OntarioGalt (Cambridge), Ontario Chatham, Ontario
Mississauga, Ontario: Mississauga City CentreElora, OntarioBrantford, Ontario
Buffalo, New YorkKitchener, OntarioAmherstburg, OntarioWallaceburg, Ontario
Oakville, Ontario: Historic HomesRidgetown, Thamesville, and Dresden, Ontario
Waterloo, OntarioSt. Catharines, OntarioDetroit, Michigan & Windsor, Ontario
Stratford, OntarioSt. Marys, OntarioPetrolia, OntarioParis, Ontario
Sarnia, OntarioWelland, OntarioPort Huron, Michigan Oakville, Ontario: Downtown
Woodstock, Ontario Niagara Falls, Ontario Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario
Marine City, Michigan, Sombra, Ontario & Fawn Island, Ontario

bpg88 May 31, 2009 3:35 PM

Quite nice. Thanks for the heads up on this one. Population just a couple thousand?

ady26 May 31, 2009 4:03 PM

Very nice!

dktshb May 31, 2009 5:11 PM

Absolutely beautiful.

ShadowMaster May 31, 2009 5:26 PM

Lots of brick, wood and vinyl siding of an earlier era in this town. Well done!

flar May 31, 2009 5:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpg88 (Post 4279461)
Quite nice. Thanks for the heads up on this one. Population just a couple thousand?

The village itself has about 1000 people. Merrickville is quite the tourist destination as well, there are lots of little shops and local artists.
It is often claimed that Merrickville is one of the best preserved 19th century villages in Canada. There is not a lot of modern blight, a majority of the homes and buildings are very old, and many are very well kept.

Jibba May 31, 2009 7:21 PM

An awesome assortment of buildings there. Class-A historical charm. Great shots.

Evergrey May 31, 2009 7:33 PM

quite lovely

ue May 31, 2009 8:15 PM

Wow. I love the quality of your photos very much, I've seen your previous ones, and really you always make amazing-eye catching photographs.

This town looks beautiful. Just so well preserved, some of the styles resemble Edmonton just instead of brick ... wood. And yes, magnificent.

xzmattzx Jun 1, 2009 12:46 AM

Nice pictures. The stone buildings look great. I've heard of the Rideau Canal, and how you can/have to turn the locks yourself in order to go boating up and down the canal.

TinChelseaNYC Jun 1, 2009 2:59 AM

Very interesting little town. Great job!

Wheelingman04 Jun 1, 2009 3:24 AM

What a nice town. Are there a decent amount of Francophones or bilingual people in the area?

flar Jun 1, 2009 2:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast (Post 4279741)
Wow. I love the quality of your photos very much, I've seen your previous ones, and really you always make amazing-eye catching photographs.

This town looks beautiful. Just so well preserved, some of the styles resemble Edmonton just instead of brick ... wood. And yes, magnificent.

Thanks. Quite a few of the buildings pictured were built before 1850. Interestingly, Merrickville's population reached its present day total of 1000 around 1860.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 (Post 4280242)
What a nice town. Are there a decent amount of Francophones or bilingual people in the area?

Not sure, I think the higher concentrations of Francophones are east of Ottawa along the Ottawa River.

OhioGuy Jun 1, 2009 2:13 PM

Looks like a pleasant area. :)

Chef Jun 1, 2009 4:58 PM

Amazing looking town. I really like the stone buildings.

Dado Jun 3, 2009 2:30 AM

Merrickville is one of my favourite places to visit in the Ottawa/Rideau Canal region. It has that Loyalist look to it... clearly British-derived but not exactly a replica of England or Scotland either. Even the log buildings seem to fit in. It's unfortunate that somewhere along the way we lost the ability to build like this.

Another community in the area that is similar is Perth, though it is larger and is surrounded by more recent development. Still, the centre and much of the rest of Perth retains its charm.

go_leafs_go02 Jun 3, 2009 4:42 AM

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ille/00203.jpg

what type of traffic signal is that?!!?

Jeff Jun 3, 2009 4:56 AM

this was a treat to see! what a gem!

thanks =)

hackunion Jun 3, 2009 1:17 PM

Pretty. I will be measuring and redesigning an old farmhouse there next weekend.

SteveP Jun 3, 2009 5:47 PM

Nice photo tour. When I lived in Ottawa we used to go out to Merrickville for a Sunday drive once in a while. It's a great little town.