SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   My City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
-   -   Across the bay.................................Burlington (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152571)

flar Jun 11, 2008 5:52 AM

Across the bay.................................Burlington

HAMILTON NEIGHBOURHOODS:
CorktownDurandCentralDundasLocke St. SouthBurlingtonStinsonWestdaleSt. ClairKeithLandsdale
The DeltaGibsonJamesvilleConcession StreetDurand NorthDurand SouthOld Dundas HousesHess VillageBarton Street
AncasterNorth KirkendallSouth KirkendallMcMaster UniversityDowntownThe BayfrontThe North EndKenilworth
Mountain BrowTextile DistrictStrathconaNorth StipleyFlamboroughBeasleyChedokeStoney CreekThe Beach Strip

HAMILTON FEATURES:
C I T Y _ L I G H T SStone HamiltonTwilight of the Industrial AgeTwilight of the Industrial Age II
Stone in Dundas and AncasterGoodbye, Hamilton (from 43 floors up)Dirty BrickDay for Night
This broken down old city still manages to wake up every morning...Everywhere, Ontario< R - E - T - R - O >
HAMILTON | Scenes from the cutting room floorS U B U R B I A !Everywhere, OntarioHamilton Rowhouses
< H E A V Y <> I N D U S T R Y > Old Man Winter vs. Hamilton

Tuesday night in Burlington:

The Hammer------>
http://aas.ath.cx/threads/burlington.jpg

OhioGuy Jun 11, 2008 6:12 AM

Looks very nice!

ColDayMan Jun 11, 2008 6:22 AM

Quaint!

the dude Jun 11, 2008 6:57 AM

you pretty much summed it up. thanks for the tour.

jodelli Jun 11, 2008 7:28 AM

So, Burlington isn't just a place to pass through.
Nice tour.

skyline Jun 11, 2008 11:45 AM

Nice mix!

Swinefeld Jun 11, 2008 1:02 PM

Sweet.

xzmattzx Jun 11, 2008 2:07 PM

Burlington has a nice skyline view as you come down that Skyway bridge over Hamilton Harbour.

Actually, I always got the impression that Burlington was just a suburb of either Hamilton of Toronto. The new condos made it seem like there was no town until maybe 20 years ago. Your pictures show plenty of older buildings, though. What areas of Burlington are these buildings in? Is there a section of town that is the historical town from 100 or 150 years ago?

I don't like that Charcoal Pit restaurant. I'll take our own Charcoal Pit restaurants down here in Delaware.

Lastly, what is the story behind that little mini street? Is that a real street? Is it miniaturized like I think it is? Any reason why they did that?

Evergrey Jun 11, 2008 2:52 PM

unbelievably awesome... isn't there an IKEA there?

direfloyd Jun 11, 2008 3:37 PM

Looks really nice! I'm wondering, since I am not familiar with the demographics, has there been people moving out on Hamilton to Burlington over the years, or was it always that vibrant?

MolsonExport Jun 11, 2008 4:28 PM

A nice grab bag. surprising density.

flar Jun 12, 2008 12:14 AM

xzmattzx, Evergrey, and Direfloyd: to answer your questions, Burlington started out as a village called Port Nelson and has some nice Victorian houses. Present day Burlington consists of the old village plus Aldershot, another wealthy Hamilton suburb along the north shore of the Harbour. Today it is a distinctly upper middle class suburb and many of Hamilton's wealthiest residents live in Burlington and Aldershot, such as Ron Joyce (founder of Tim Hortons), David Braley and Ron Foxcroft.

Burlington is historically a suburb of Hamilton and is part of Hamilton's census metropolitan area. Increasingly it has been touched by Toronto's boom, and it is now included in the Greater Toronto Area. It's part of the continuous growth along Lake Ontario between Hamilton and Toronto, and like Mississauga and Oakville, is no longer a "classic" bedroom community suburb because it has its own significant industrial and commercial base along the QEW. Burlington, however, remains tied to Hamilton in many ways. Burlington residents read the Hamilton Spectator and watch CHCH television and other media. If you look in the pictures you can see an HSR bus and ads for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats plus some TiCat grafitti.

And there is an IKEA at the intersection of the QEW and 403.

Edit: I almost forgot, that mini street is called "Village Square" I think. It looks like some of the buildings are old but most are new. It was absolutely completely deserted when I was there, maybe it's busier on the weekend? I don't really know.

HomeInMyShoes Jun 12, 2008 12:18 AM

Burrrrlington. Nice.

Jimby Jun 12, 2008 12:29 AM

Great pics! I hated the Hummer, and I loved the pic of the couple on the bench with the dog and child and their backs to you.

flar Jun 12, 2008 12:56 AM

^^yeah, I'd be embarrassed to drive one of those. Notice I put that shot right next to the bus depot ;)

the dude Jun 12, 2008 7:20 AM

village square is a peculiar place. i think it was constructed about 25 years ago. it WAS a very popular destination for shoppers and diners alike but it's not so today. the builder used reclaimed brick and stone in an attempt to replicate a...well, an old village square. while it's still home to some decent restaurants, it's a pretty big failure.

direfloyd Jun 12, 2008 12:30 PM

Thanks for the explanation Flar!

Tom In Chicago Jun 12, 2008 5:01 PM

Cute town. . .

10101000 Jun 12, 2008 5:37 PM

Nice shots, we have an RBC bank in Mobile Metro, they took over the old AmSouth Merge out.

DC83 Jun 12, 2008 11:19 PM

Wow! What a great set, Flar. Burlington is definately my favourite suburb now-a-days. If I have to escape the Hammer just for a bit, the Burlington Beach is the best place to go. Imported sand groomed daily. Perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flar (Post 3608054)
^^yeah, I'd be embarrassed to drive one of those. Notice I put that shot right next to the bus depot ;)

It looks an awful lot like Ray Emery's old Hummer. Maybe someone's back in town for the summer?