SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

GaylordWilshire May 9, 2015 9:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7021844)
I vaguely remember seeing a smaller version of this photograph years ago on NLA.
I wanted to do a before & after of this intersection, but I can't figure out where it is.
(is that part of the raised Union Station tracks on the right?)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...661/uoxD1f.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...540/Nj4I2I.jpg
old file of mine

:previous: What a menagerie of posters on that building!
-everything from the Mayan Theater (I can't quite make out what's playing) to Barnes Sells-Floto Circus to Motor Boats to 'Love Nest',
and something big happening on April 4 (lower right hand side of the building, partially covered)


Your original post: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=12467

Another: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=12469

ethereal_reality May 9, 2015 10:27 PM

:previous: ok. ok. ok. now I remember the earlier posts. My Bad.

Flyingwedge May 9, 2015 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7021844)
I vaguely remember seeing a smaller version of this photograph years ago on NLA.
I wanted to do a before & after of this intersection, but I can't figure out where it is.
(is that part of the raised Union Station tracks on the right?)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...661/uoxD1f.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...540/Nj4I2I.jpg
old file of mine

:previous: What a menagerie of posters on that building!
-everything from the Mayan Theater (I can't quite make out what's playing) to Barnes Sells-Floto Circus to Motor Boats to 'Love Nest',
and something big happening on April 4 (lower right hand side of the building, partially covered)

I think the RR tracks coming toward the photographer at the left edge of the photo are the same ones that run left to right across the bottom of this photo you posted earlier: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=25680

BDiH May 9, 2015 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 7021774)
Thx BDiH. Do you know anymore about the Hangout at 1456 Vine or who actually ran it? Everything I read about Berg led back to 1356 Vine.

Sorry, I don't know who owned the place. I have color home movies of the exterior of the Hangover from the early 1940s when my mother's boyfriend, Bob Laine (Downbeat's pianist of the year, 1945), was playing there. She was living at the Alto Nido, next door to Bonita Granville, at the time. In the late 1930s and early 1940s, her favorite clubs were the Jade (where Steve Boardner tended bar) on Hollywood Boulevard, Fred Harvey's on Cahuenga, Don the Beachcomber (when Don Beach tended bar) on McCadden and the little piano lounge on Ivar where Nat Cole played before becoming famous. Her two favorite restaurants were Musso-Frank and the Gotham. Earl Carroll's was top-drawer, while the Florentine Gardens was a step down. As we all know, Hollywood was once glamorous and classy- and safe. Hard to believe today.

ethereal_reality May 9, 2015 11:23 PM

:previous: That's some impressive information BDiH! -very interesting.
I'd love to see stills from the home movies!

tovangar2 May 10, 2015 1:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDiH (Post 7021941)
Sorry, I don't know who owned the place. I have color home movies of the exterior of the Hangover from the early 1940s when my mother's boyfriend, Bob Laine (Downbeat's pianist of the year, 1945), was playing there. She was living at the Alto Nido, next door to Bonita Granville, at the time. In the late 1930s and early 1940s, her favorite clubs were the Jade (where Steve Boardner tended bar) on Hollywood Boulevard, Fred Harvey's on Cahuenga, Don the Beachcomber (when Don Beach tended bar) on McCadden and the little piano lounge on Ivar where Nat Cole played before becoming famous. Her two favorite restaurants were Musso-Frank and the Gotham. Earl Carroll's was top-drawer, while the Florentine Gardens was a step down. As we all know, Hollywood was once glamorous and classy- and safe. Hard to believe today.

Thank you again BDiH.

I had to look a few of those up

Bob Laine

Jade Club: 6619 Hollywood Blvd

Gotham: 7050 Hollywood Blvd
(Martin Turnbull has a photo of the Gotham)

Fred Harvey's: 1743 N Cahuenga


I should have remembered e_r's great post on the Jade: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=18849
and HossC's post too: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=21280

Also Martin Pal: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=21279

Also Lorendoc: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=18872

ethereal_reality May 10, 2015 2:05 AM

I could really use some help on this one. (I've had this in one of my old files for quite some time)

The German Consulate in Los Angeles.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...538/Uw7Kg4.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...909/OpY4CN.jpg
eBay

detail.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320...661/Vidb92.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320...911/odrhNI.jpg

I thought it would be fairly easy to locate, but I haven't had much luck so far.
I've looked in the W. Adams district, as well as the Hancock Park area, to no avail. :(

GW, you're pretty much our go-to guy when it comes to residences. Does this one look familiar to you?

ethereal_reality May 10, 2015 2:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDiH (Post 7021941)
My mother's two favorite restaurants were Musso-Frank and the Gotham.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/901/EkjQo7.jpg
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/122863896060631715/




Here's the menu.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...661/wgQgen.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/chs_commons/12001442073/

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/661/tQTTOw.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/chs_co...n/photostream/

CityBoyDoug May 10, 2015 2:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7022065)
I could really use some help on this one. (I've had this in one of my old files for quite some time)

The German Consulate in Los Angeles.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...538/Uw7Kg4.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...909/OpY4CN.jpg
eBay

detail.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320...661/Vidb92.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320...911/odrhNI.jpg

I thought it would be fairly easy to locate, but I haven't had much luck so far.
I've looked in the W. Adams district, as well as the Hancock Park area, to no avail. :(

GW, you're pretty much our go-to guy when it comes to residences. Does this one look familiar to you?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ER....I believe this was the shape and color of the logo on the consulate house during that era.

This is from a 1939 German book that details the various logos and flags of the National Socialist regime.


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psgggky3lq.jpg
od43

I can't find the address...I must be using the wrong search words or year. Good luck to someone who finds it.

ethereal_reality May 10, 2015 3:02 AM

:previous: CBD, I've looked through numerous Los Angeles directories from the 1930s, and couldn't find an answer.

Several show the German Consulate offices downtown on 9th Street.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...537/Okguev.jpg
LAPL

ethereal_reality May 10, 2015 3:16 AM

This is a pretty impressive snapshot, to say the least.

"First Street, Little Tokyo, 1962."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...673/fQtS5L.jpg
eBay

:previous: The type-font used in the 'Lady-in-Red' billboard seems much more modern than the automobiles.

(where do you think the photographer was positioned to get this vantage point?)

__________________________



I've been trying to read some of the signs by using this enlargement.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/540/SuvMx1.jpg

BDiH May 10, 2015 7:05 AM

There are interior and exterior shots of the Gotham in the 1946 George Raft film, Nocturne.

tovangar2 May 10, 2015 7:27 AM

Georg Gyssing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7022091)
CBD, I've looked through numerous Los Angeles directories from the 1930s, and couldn't find an answer.

Several show the German Consulate offices downtown on 9th Street.

Based on experience of the British arrangement, I assume that's the Consul General's residence in the photo, as distinct from the Consular offices, where one would apply for a visa etc. Various Consuls General live in official residences which are used for entertaining on behalf of the country represented.

Georg Gyssling was the German Consul General in Los Angeles from 1933 until 1941. His involvement with the studios and David Breen of the Hays office is detailed in "Hitler in Hollywood, Did the studios collaborate?" by David Denby (the New Yorker, 9/16/2013) which is partly a critique of of Ben Urwand's 2013 book, "The Collaboration: Hollywood's Pact with Hitler".

An excerpt of Urwand's book was published in The Hollywood Reporter, 7//31/2013. It's here

A short article here details another fascinating, though minor, character, debonair man-about-town, Werner Plack. Plack, a multilingual German, worked as a movie extra, sold German wine to film celebrities and was generally charming in various Hollywood nightclubs, all the while reporting back to his real boss, Georg Gyssing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mentioned Bonita Granville BDiH and I sat right down and watched "Breakfast in Hollywood" 1946, which was hokey good fun, showcasing Billie Burke and Nat King Cole. I'd be watching "Nocturne" right now if I could find a copy.

HossC May 10, 2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7022091)

CBD, I've looked through numerous Los Angeles directories from the 1930s, and couldn't find an answer.

Several show the German Consulate offices downtown on 9th Street.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...537/Okguev.jpg
LAPL

I haven't managed to find an address for the building in the original picture yet, but here are some protesters outside the 117 W 9th Street location. They were protesting Hitler's seizure or Austria.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...Consulate1.jpg
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...Consulate2.jpg
eBay

MichaelRyerson May 10, 2015 1:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 7022193)
I haven't managed to find an address for the building in the original picture yet, but here are some protesters outside the 117 W 9th Street location. They were protesting Hitler's seizure or Austria.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...Consulate1.jpg
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...Consulate2.jpg
eBay

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5445/1...87892466_o.jpgPicket line forms at German Consulate, 117 W. 9th Street, 1938

June 25, 1938: More than 500 protesters march in downtown Los Angeles against German involvement in the aerial bombing of Spain.

Carrying placards and chanting slogans against Nazism and Fascism, more than 500 picketers marched yesterday in front of the office building at 117 West 9th Street which holds the headquarters of German Consul, Dr. Georg Gyssling.

The demonstration, aimed specifically at asserted German participation in Spain bombings, was sponsored by the North American Committee for Defense of Spanish Democracy and included delegates from many sympathetic groups. Starting at 11 a.m., it continued for two hours, the double picket line extending at times on to Spring street and Broadway…

Although several police officers stood by at the scene, the only minor disturbances were caused by several bags of water tossed from office windows toward the picketers.

Los Angeles Times staff photographer Andrew H. Arnott

Scott Harrison, Framework, July 13, 2011, Los Angeles Times photo archive


http://framework.latimes.com/2011/07...itler-protest/

GaylordWilshire May 10, 2015 1:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7022065)
I could really use some help on this one. (I've had this in one of my old files for quite some time)

The German Consulate in Los Angeles.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...538/Uw7Kg4.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...909/OpY4CN.jpg
eBay


The German consul's residence in the mid-'30s was at 1801 N Curson--but in taking a GSV look at what comes up for that address, the house there--apparently of similar vintage to the one in the picture--does not appear the same. (There also needs to be some chain-sawing.) The lot looks similar though--perhaps the house was remodeled after the war to expunge the Germanness....

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_...2520AM.bmp.jpg

CityBoyDoug May 10, 2015 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 7022230)
The German consul's residence in the mid-'30s was at 1801 N Curson--but in taking a GSV look at what comes up for that address, the house there--apparently of similar vintage to the one in the picture--does not appear the same. (There also needs to be some chain-sawing.) The lot looks similar though--perhaps the house was remodeled after the war to expunge the Germanness....

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_...2520AM.bmp.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...538/Uw7Kg4.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...909/OpY4CN.jpg




[ Edited: We had the wrong address for this house. The b/w photo is 403 S. Mariposa.]

Earl Boebert May 10, 2015 3:40 PM

1801 N Curson is listed as the current home of the Caroll Richter Astrology Foundation. Presumably it was confiscated at the start of hostilities with Germany and sold off later.

Zillow says it was built in 1912. I can't reconcile any of the aerials with that picture from the street. From the looks of the Google Earth shot they have some roof problems.

Cheers,

Earl

Flyingwedge May 10, 2015 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7022065)
I could really use some help on this one. (I've had this in one of my old files for quite some time)

The German Consulate in Los Angeles.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...538/Uw7Kg4.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...909/OpY4CN.jpg
eBay

I thought it would be fairly easy to locate, but I haven't had much luck so far.
I've looked in the W. Adams district, as well as the Hancock Park area, to no avail. :(

GW, you're pretty much our go-to guy when it comes to residences. Does this one look familiar to you?

It might be 403 S. Mariposa:
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...e.jpg~original
March 17, 1940 Los Angeles Times

403 S. Mariposa was built in 1916 and was torn down about 1954. The house is centered below in the somewhat inconclusive 1948 aerial.
However, there are palm trees in er's photo and palms all around 4th and Mariposa:
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...6.jpg~original
Historic Aerials.com -- http://www.historicaerials.com/

403 S. Mariposa on the 1921 Sanborn Map; this seems to match the house in the photo fairly well:
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...c.jpg~original
LAPL

CityBoyDoug May 10, 2015 6:36 PM

Mystery Solved.......!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyingwedge (Post 7022376)
It might be 403 S. Mariposa:
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...e.jpg~original
March 17, 1940 Los Angeles Times

403 S. Mariposa was built in 1916 and was torn down about 1954. The house is centered below in the somewhat inconclusive 1948 aerial.
However, there are palm trees in er's photo and palms all around 4th and Mariposa:
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...6.jpg~original
Historic Aerials.com -- http://www.historicaerials.com/

403 S. Mariposa on the 1921 Sanborn Map; this seems to match the house in the photo fairly well:
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...c.jpg~original
LAPL

Thanks FlyingW ....I do believe that you've hit the nail.! The FW Historic Aerial photo matches the b/w house photo with the Eagle Logo plaque on the upper floor.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.