SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

tyleraf Jun 13, 2016 9:33 PM

Streamliner, from what I can tell the OM renderings are merely preliminary, thus they lack a lot of the details.

SDCAL Jun 15, 2016 6:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7472773)
I'm a little baffled by the Oliver-McMillan entry. With Renzo Piano and Gensler as architects I would have expected something a lot more noteworthy, but the whole project looks a bit dull. Almost like a large resort or something. It's especially frustrating because their examples of similar projects in other cities look 10x better than the renderings.

I'll need to look through all of these more closely before I come up with a strong opinion. Unfortunately I think a lot of it will come down to people's opinion of the "gimmick", rather than the entirety of the design.

I agree 100%. They pepper the PDF with pictures of world-class structures to make the proposal look dynamic, but the rendering of what would be built there is generic, boring garbage. None of them were particularly awe-inspiring. To be honest the wooden tuna building/Ferris wheel proposal and the aquarium proposal should just be thrown in the garbage right away - both look even more touristy and gimmicky than what's there now. I like the idea of some sort of large performing arts/versatile performance venue but none hit it out of the park. Hopefully they will throw the two I mentioned out and give the other 3 instruction to up their game and refine to come up with something worthy of that prime location!

The Flying Dutchman Jun 15, 2016 8:04 PM

Guys, here's a MUCH more in-depth look at the proposals for Seaport Village:

https://www.portofsandiego.org/docum...fcon/file.html

Warning: Large file size (~30 mb may be too large for phones)

nezbn22 Jun 16, 2016 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman (Post 7475426)

That link takes you directly to only one of the proposals (albeit the most detailed and complete...and arguably the best).

Here's the link to all six:

https://www.portofsandiego.org/real-...portunity.html

The Flying Dutchman Jun 16, 2016 6:49 PM

Thanks!

SDfan Jun 16, 2016 11:26 PM

I went to the port's project showing. The tuna barn and Ripley's aquarium were amateurish in comparison to the other proposals. Manchester's project was promoting a "low-density" approach *yawn* and the Oliver McMillion proposal was dull architecturally. The best display and plan IMO was Portera's Seaport. I liked their multipurpose plans and architecture wasn't boring (nor amazing). I'm not sold it will fly given NIMBYism. We will probably get a watered down version of it, if that.

SDCAL Jun 17, 2016 2:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman (Post 7475426)

This one, like others have said, is by far the most detailed, thought out, and, in my opinion, the best. My only criticism - this one doesn't have a performing arts venue like a couple of the others do. Still, it's by far the best design.

aerogt3 Jun 17, 2016 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikemike (Post 7462766)
Because CEQA, while poorly written, was intended to protect the environment from overdevelopment. While it's the main legal basis for NIMBY obstruction of pedestrian and transit friendly growth, it's also been the basis for protection of countless acres of sensitive habitat. CEQA needs to be reformed, not rescinded. To borrow an oft-stated line from Obama's first campaign, we need to go into this with a scalpel, not a hatchet. Governor Brown is using a hatchet, and the unintended blowback on the environment would be dire.

Can you quantify how many acres have been "saved?" We know CEQA fucks with almost every project in the state, but it would be interesting to have some info on its positive contributions to help balance it. But I have never seen any concrete examples.

Some perspective from the SF chronicle (not exactly the anti-regulation source you might expect :D)

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/johnson/article/Bay-Area-housing-crisis-fueled-by-greed-study-6883161.php
Among them, the study found that 49 percent of all CEQA filings target taxpayer-funded projects. The usual targets are transit and renewable-energy projects often approved to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve environmental quality. It found that 80 percent of such filings challenged urban in-fill projects. And the most frequently targeted private sector development is housing.

Can you quantify this dire environmental blowback?

Populations grow and the construction is going to occur no matter what, but IMO CEQA is used to make sure it happens out of sight but with greater environmental detriment. I.e., wealthy coastal homeowners sue to block a condo project on an acre of land, which then causes the construction of low density housing far away but using way more land and contributing to way more pollution.

I think CEQA harms the environment more than it helps. It's only utility is for existing homeowners to constrict local housing supply and increase their home values.

That said, show me how many acres of land we have saved, and lets see if that trumps the number of acres we have destroyed via sprawl. Seems unlikely that the savings will be worth the losses since 80% of CEQA filings target urban in fill.

HurricaneHugo Jun 20, 2016 7:39 AM

Ballpark Village starting to rise

http://i.imgur.com/r2j6QuJ.jpg

Northparkwizard Jun 21, 2016 3:00 PM

The North Park Planning Committee is voting tonight on the Pershing Bikeway.

Fact Sheet.

Intersection Renderings.

SDfan Jun 21, 2016 8:44 PM

I don't understand this, but I like it. :D

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...ors_picks=true

They will probably have to take down the 4th story, but HAHA!

SDfan Jun 21, 2016 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 7481068)
The North Park Planning Committee is voting tonight on the Pershing Bikeway.

Fact Sheet.

Intersection Renderings.

Yay!!

IconRPCV Jun 22, 2016 2:49 PM

SD To Zurich

San Diego gets another nonstop: Zurich

SAN DIEGO, CA – June 21, 2016 – Edelweiss, Switzerland’s leading leisure airline, is further expanding its route network to North America. From June 9, 2017, the airline will offer flights to San Diego for the first time.
An Airbus A340-300 will fly twice a week between Zurich and San Diego and connect the two cities directly. The new connection allows Swiss and European tourists to reach San Diego in a comfortable way. “California is very popular among Swiss tourists,” says Bernd Bauer CEO of Edelweiss. “Swiss travelers like to stay longer and spend more money during their time on vacation than visitors from other countries. Our flights will bring approximately 15,000 visitors to San Diego per year, creating an economic impact of around $50 million per year.”
“We are excited to welcome Edelweiss, a Lufthansa group carrier, to San Diego’s growing list of international airlines,” said Thella F. Bowens, San Diego International Airport’s President/CEO. “This new service to Switzerland means San Diegans will have direct flights to six countries from San Diego International Airport. Each of these global markets brings significant economic benefits to the San Diego region.”
The flight not only opens San Diego to Swiss and European visitors, but it also offers a convenient non- stop flight for Americans to the heart of Europe with many connection possibilities to other European cities beyond Zurich.

SDCAL Jun 22, 2016 3:20 PM

^ I think these new European direct flights are good for San Diego, just interested in why they are these seasonal smaller airlines. Does this mean SD doesn't have the customer base for a large carrier daily flight, for example a Lufthansa daily to Frankfurt? Maybe these smaller seasonal carriers are testing the waters?

mbb Jun 22, 2016 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7482307)
^ I think these new European direct flights are good for San Diego, just interested in why they are these seasonal smaller airlines. Does this mean SD doesn't have the customer base for a large carrier daily flight, for example a Lufthansa daily to Frankfurt? Maybe these smaller seasonal carriers are testing the waters?

It's an airline specialized in Europeans taking vacations on flights that are slightly less expensive and lower service (no airline miles, no or smaller business class section). It flies to places people might want to go to the beach. There's some overlap with people who might book Lufthansa or Swiss, but I would hardly call it testing the waters.

spoonman Jun 23, 2016 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbb (Post 7482947)
It's an airline specialized in Europeans taking vacations on flights that are slightly less expensive and lower service (no airline miles, no or smaller business class section). It flies to places people might want to go to the beach. There's some overlap with people who might book Lufthansa or Swiss, but I would hardly call it testing the waters.

To add, Edelweiss and Condor are owned by Swiss Airlines and Luftthana, respectively. Not some unknown airline. (Think Rouge for Canadian Airlines, etc.) These routes will have outstanding connections throughout the rest of the world.

spoonman Jun 23, 2016 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7481559)
I don't understand this, but I like it. :D

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...ors_picks=true

They will probably have to take down the 4th story, but HAHA!

The NIMBYs are sharpening their pitchforks as we speak.

IconRPCV Jun 23, 2016 3:23 AM

Having plane loads of Swiss, Edelweiss Air; and Germans, Condor Air, arriving in San Diego for vacation is nothing but a great thing! It doesn't matter whether the airline is a low fare carrier or not. I think they will spend a lot more money and improve our standing around the world more than a Southwest jet full of Zoners or Texans.

SDCAL Jun 23, 2016 5:07 PM

Of course the direct flights are better than nothing, but economically speaking business travelers spend more than tourists. These flights are not convenient for business travelers who tend to use higher class levels and who aren't as flexible as to when they can fly. While these flights will make SD more competitive with LA, SF and even SJ for tourism, I don't see them doing much for business. That's why I was asking if this is a result of market research that shows we don't have the demographics (international business travel) to sustain a daily Europe non-stop beyond the BA we have. Maybe if demand is shown to be high for these inaugural flights, they will increase the service. I've flown Lufthansa business class several times and taken their code-share to LA or SF, and each time it seemed like there was a fair amount of SD-bound passengers doing the same, but whether or not demand is high enough is up to the airline's market research I suppose. These do seem to be branding us as strictly a tourist destination and not a business destination.

SDfan Jun 23, 2016 5:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7483765)
Of course the direct flights are better than nothing, but economically speaking business travelers spend more than tourists. These flights are not convenient for business travelers who tend to use higher class levels and who aren't as flexible as to when they can fly. While these flights will make SD more competitive with LA, SF and even SJ for tourism, I don't see them doing much for business. That's why I was asking if this is a result of market research that shows we don't have the demographics (international business travel) to sustain a daily Europe non-stop beyond the BA we have. Maybe if demand is shown to be high for these inaugural flights, they will increase the service. I've flown Lufthansa business class several times and taken their code-share to LA or SF, and each time it seemed like there was a fair amount of SD-bound passengers doing the same, but whether or not demand is high enough is up to the airline's market research I suppose. These do seem to be branding us as strictly a tourist destination and not a business destination.

We are not a business destination. We are a tourist destination. Our critical industries are not conducive towards large scale international business travel that would support regular service. We are getting these seasonal airlines because of our tourist destination status.