SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: ORD & MDW discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87889)

spyguy Jul 21, 2011 10:08 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...re-concessions

Council committee OKs Westfield for O’Hare concessions
By: John Pletz July 21, 2011

The long-delayed contract to operate retail and food concessions at O’Hare Airport’s international terminal is headed for a City Council vote next week.

...The city is looking for the developers to overhaul Terminal 5, including moving the concessions to the other side of security gates, where travelers will have more time to shop before boarding their flights. The city hopes to more than double annual revenue from about $26 million now.

The revamp envisioned by the city will require an investment of at least $20 million from the developer.

Kngkyle Jul 22, 2011 10:43 AM

^ Good news. I often hear complaints about the lack of options gateside in T5.

denizen467 Oct 28, 2011 6:57 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,6039464.story

City: New runway over former cemetery expected to open at end of 2013
By Jon Hilkevitch
7:10 PM CDT, October 27, 2011

About 75 percent of the graves blocking a new runway under construction at O’Hare International Airport will have been removed by the end of the week, and the runway is scheduled for completion by December 2013, O’Hare expansion officials said Thursday.

Exhumations will hit the 900 mark this week, said Jim Chilton, an official with DMJM Aviation Partners who is the program manager for the O’Hare Modernization Program.

Chilton spoke at a conference presented Thursday by the Eno Transportation Foundation and the city focusing on lessons learned during the first phase of O’Hare expansion.

The $8.6 billion project began in 2005, and so far only one new runway has opened and an existing runway was lengthened.

The “cemetery runway,’’ as runway 10 Center/28 Center is informally called, is set to open in two years, followed next by a far southern runway in 2016 10 Right/28 Left, which will be built on the site of more than 400 homes that the city demolished in Bensenville.

nomarandlee Oct 31, 2011 9:30 PM

e-letter via Chicago Department of Aviation

Quote:

CDA Announces Solar Panels, Multi-Fuel Station at O'Hare

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel today joined Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) Commissioner Rosemarie S. Andolino in announcing new sustainability initiatives that will make Chicago's airports greener than ever during the kickoff of the 2011 Airports Going Green conference in Chicago.

The CDA announced it will pursue the development of a massive solar panel installation, as well as an alternative fueling station for private and commercial vehicles at O'Hare International Airport. The CDA also revealed it will launch a composting program for some restaurants operating at Midway International Airport.

"The CDA is proud to host the fourth annual Airports Going Green conference and to continue to lead by example by implementing the most innovative and progressive sustainability initiatives at O'Hare and MidwayInternationalAirports," said Andolino. "The solar panels will provide a substantial renewable energy source to help power O'Hare and the alternative fueling station will promote the use of clean fuels and electricity to power vehicles."

Both the Mayor and the Commissioner joined Karen Weigert, Chief Sustainability Officer for the City of Chicago, in providing welcome remarks at the conference.

In the next few weeks, the CDA will issue Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for the following two initiatives.

- The CDA will issue a request to the renewable energy development community to install and operate up to 60 acres of ground-mounted solar panels around O'Hare on vacant properties that are suitable for such development. The O'Hare solar panel systems will supply clean, renewable energy to the airport while helping grow the region's renewable energy market.

- The CDA is also inviting developers to construct and operate a fueling station that will supply multiple alternative fuels such as compressed natural gas, biodiesel, ethanol, and electric vehicle charging to commercial and private vehicles at and around O'Hare. This proposed development will leverage the City's new electric vehicle charging infrastructure and provide alternatives to conventionally fueled vehicles to the millions of drivers that travel to the airport each year..............

ardecila Oct 31, 2011 10:56 PM

The solar panels are a great way for the city to earn a bit of money on unused patches of O'Hare land while offsetting the massive carbon emissions of the airport.

untitledreality Nov 3, 2011 9:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5463028)
The solar panels are a great way for the city to earn a bit of money on unused patches of O'Hare land while offsetting the massive carbon emissions of the airport.

Agreed. And hopefully the term "massive installation" actually means a massive installation, not just a single acre of panels.

ardecila Nov 3, 2011 11:06 PM

^ The article specifically calls for 60 acres.

untitledreality Nov 5, 2011 5:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5467373)
^ The article specifically calls for 60 acres.

Why indeed it does, can't believe I missed that... thanks.

ardecila Nov 14, 2011 9:45 PM

Quote:

T-WALL® supports relocated UP rail line for O’Hare Airport expansion
Friday, November 11, 2011

The Neel Company is advancing the O'Hare Modernization Program in Chicago with almost 90,000 sq. ft. of its T-WALL Retaining Wall System. T-WALL is being constructed to elevate Union Pacific along Irving Park Road.

The UP rail line, Irving Park Road and the Bensenville Ditch are all being moved several thousand feet south of the current alignment to make way for a new runway. The contract is part of the $6.6-billion expansion at O'Hare Airport, one of the largest construction projects in the nation. Union Pacific predecessor Chicago and North Western Railway built the line through what would become O'Hare International Airport in 1910. This line had to be moved when the original O'Hare airport was built in the 1950s. To accommodate new runways, the railroad is being moved once again.

The Neel Company will provide three large T-WALL retaining walls totaling over 5,250 linear feet. The structures are designed for railroad freight loads and wall heights of up to 30 feet high. A heavy cut stone architectural finish is incorporated into the precast T-WALL units. The precast units are produced for The Neel Company by Dukane Precast in Aurora, Ill.

The realignment of the railroad is on an accelerated construction schedule. Dukane Precast committed to full production six days a week until completion to help meet the aggressive schedule.
Interesting article. This company has vastly streamlined the construction of retaining walls - they completely grade-separated the freight line through downtown Wichita in under 2 years for less than $100 million. That's about 2 miles of work with 5 streets passing beneath. It's like Legos.

It's a really cool system, and they design whatever finish you want. Usually this means fake stone, but I guess you could do whatever you want.

The O'Hare project will look similar to this Tollway wall in Elgin:
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/957...55wallla2l.jpg

denizen467 Nov 15, 2011 8:54 AM

^ I'm curious to know just what alignment the new line will follow. In fact, same goes for Irving Park Road - it has to duck underneath the far south runway but it's not clear where or how. Will the rail line instead follow the other freight line alignment already skirting the airfield's outside border? Most OMP layout diagrams aren't specific about this ground infrastructure, despite the importance of the road access to USPS and other air freight facilities to be landlocked between runways.

Incidentally, just how does one square following Railway Track & Structures Monthly, and all the rest, with studies and La Dolce Vita?

ardecila Nov 15, 2011 11:24 AM

Nothing will pass beneath the runways. UP will be pressed as close to the CP alignment as possible. Irving Park will go underneath them both just east of York, and then follow right on the north side of the tracks. There were several options for depressing the York/Irving Park intersection (mostly having to do with the degree of access to businesses) but I'm not sure which one IDOT chose.

To answer your second question: I spend a ton of time in studio (not much sleep) and I need something to read during breaks. RTandS is in my blog reader so I check it for Chicago stories occasionally. Don't worry, I'm still enjoying la dolce vita... when time and money permit.

spyguy Nov 28, 2011 8:18 PM

Westfield's T5 Renovation (adding about 10,000 sf of new concession space)

http://www.chicagot5.com/

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/3487/60223118.jpg

FlashingLights Nov 29, 2011 6:00 AM

Is MDW (Big Timber) being changed at all?

denizen467 Nov 29, 2011 8:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 5496057)
Westfield's T5 Renovation (adding about 10,000 sf of new concession space)

http://www.chicagot5.com/

That website refers to completion in 2013. Why the heck does seemingly simple stuff take so long at ORD...

denizen467 Nov 29, 2011 8:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5480961)
Nothing will pass beneath the runways. UP will be pressed as close to the CP alignment as possible. Irving Park will go underneath them both just east of York, and then follow right on the north side of the tracks. There were several options for depressing the York/Irving Park intersection (mostly having to do with the degree of access to businesses) but I'm not sure which one IDOT chose.

But the air cargo complex (FedEx, UA, UPS, Lufthansa, various others) will end up in between runways (unlike the USPS facility, which is south of the southernmost runway alignment), so there has to be either an underpass, or alternatively possibly access directly from the western boundary of the airfield somehow.

ardecila Nov 29, 2011 1:21 PM

I believe the plan is to have a depressed roadway branching off from Irving Park just east of the tracks. It will pass beneath a taxiway, but not a runway.

I didn't notice this when I looked over the plans the first time.

It's gonna get really interesting when they try to squeeze the O'Hare Bypass through here, too.

Kngkyle Nov 29, 2011 4:21 PM

So American Airlines has filed for bankruptcy and it is widely expected that they will be shrinking some of their weaker hubs. ORD is believed to be their weakest hub due to the fierce competition with UA and to a lesser extent WN.

I think it's safe to say we will unfortunately be seeing further flight reductions. Hopefully UA will pick of some of the slack.

the urban politician Nov 29, 2011 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 5497131)
So American Airlines has filed for bankruptcy and it is widely expected that they will be shrinking some of their weaker hubs. ORD is believed to be their weakest hub due to the fierce competition with UA and to a lesser extent WN.

I think it's safe to say we will unfortunately be seeing further flight reductions. Hopefully UA will pick of some of the slack.

^ Good.

Maybe other airlines that have been wanting to break into O'Hare can get in on the action.

Steely Dan Nov 29, 2011 9:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 5497131)
ORD is believed to be their weakest hub due to the fierce competition with UA and to a lesser extent WN.

uhh, southwest doesn't serve ORD, they're only at MDW.

Kngkyle Nov 30, 2011 1:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 5497621)
uhh, southwest doesn't serve ORD, they're only at MDW.

Still serve many of the same passengers. I know when I had family in Chicago we would use whatever airline was cheaper, regardless of if it was into ORD or MDW. But Southwest doesn't really compete for business contracts as much as UA and AA, hence the 'lesser extent'.