SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

stephan.richard Jan 2, 2022 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9490972)
“Quiet DC-9 jet”……lol

Maybe in cabin but on the ground she was loud.

thewave46 Jan 2, 2022 8:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9490972)
“Quiet DC-9 jet”……lol

In the front rows, sure.

At the back, not so much.

More amusing was the ‘noise abatement’ procedure from the video where the DC-8 (with Conways) is flying out of Montreal.

Calfan12 Jan 3, 2022 7:27 AM

WestJet news about the cuts coming for early 2022 was on CBC news. https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6300717

It sounds like Flair Airlines is also planning some cuts too according to The Record news article due to Covid-19 pandemic causing them some problems still too https://www.therecord.com/business/2...dule-cuts.html

While Air Canada AC is making some cuts quietly that haven’t end up on the news yet!

Calfan12 Jan 3, 2022 7:38 AM

Airlines ✈️ are cutting back on flights January- March as it’s not too busy months for travel (except for during Spring Break holiday period) & consolidating through its busiest hubs.

All Canada,US, Europe & Asia major airlines are doing it too!

Plus with the pandemic still on going, not too surprised by it.

Calfan12 Jan 3, 2022 9:41 AM

WestJet now has 8 787’s & 2 more still to go to complete its 1st 10 firm orders of the Boeing 787 planes ✈️.

hemustbeaboss Jan 3, 2022 2:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bourkky (Post 9491117)
Looks like AC is adding a 4th weekly YUL-DEL for the winter starting this week. Still showing 3 weekly for the summer.

They received two more slots for India, valid until the end of IATA winter.

Initially it was 14 slots, then moved to 20, now 22 slots total.

hollywoodcory Jan 3, 2022 7:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calfan12 (Post 9491669)
WestJet now has 8 787’s & 2 more still to go to complete its 1st 10 firm orders of the Boeing 787 planes ✈️.

WS only has 6 787s. The other two your thinking of are sitting in storage. They also have another 787 undergoing final assembly currently as well. Boeing still hasn't resumed 787 deliveries yet.

Dominion301 Jan 4, 2022 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephan.richard (Post 9491337)
Maybe in cabin but on the ground she was loud.

Eastern used to call them 'Whisperjets', lol. On the flight deck, sure. :D

Dominion301 Jan 5, 2022 1:52 AM

A group of Quebec-based COVIDIOTS chartered a Sunwing 737 to CUN. Video shows multiple CARs violations let alone the unmasked stupidity. WG cancelled the return stranding them…karma. Transport Minister ordering staff to investigate no doubt to compile a long list of criminal offences.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mobile/s...asks-1.5727460

hollywoodcory Jan 5, 2022 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9493382)
A group of Quebec-based COVIDIOTS chartered a Sunwing 737 to CUN. Video shows multiple CARs violations let alone the unmasked stupidity. WG cancelled the return stranding them…karma. Transport Minister ordering staff to investigate no doubt to compile a long list of criminal offences.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mobile/s...asks-1.5727460

Just saw that not even Transat will bring them back. I hope AC/WS also deny them boarding too, forcing them to take either a US carrier or the bus home.

BenYOW Jan 8, 2022 5:15 PM

Sunday, January 8 will be the final day of service for the Dash 8-300 in Jazz / Air Canada Express operations. A quick look online shows that former Dash 8-300 routes such as YYZ-YXU and YYZ-YAM will be operated by a mix of CRJ-100s, CRJ-200s, and Dash 8-400s.

This will also leave the Dash 8-400 as the sole turboprop aircraft covered under the Air Canada Capacity Purchase Agreement... end of an era!

Based on a scan of FlightRadar24, it appears that of the most recently active fleet, C-FACV, C-GHTA and C-GLTA have already been ferried to North Bay for storage with the remainder presumably to follow next week.

Denscity Jan 8, 2022 6:30 PM

Dash 8-300s were the only plane we had for decades! I'll miss the rattly plastic overhead bins and whatever else was rattling.
So grateful to have the q400 flying to and from YCG.

Dominion301 Jan 8, 2022 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenYOW (Post 9497062)
Sunday, January 8 will be the final day of service for the Dash 8-300 in Jazz / Air Canada Express operations. A quick look online shows that former Dash 8-300 routes such as YYZ-YXU and YYZ-YAM will be operated by a mix of CRJ-100s, CRJ-200s, and Dash 8-400s.

This will also leave the Dash 8-400 as the sole turboprop aircraft covered under the Air Canada Capacity Purchase Agreement... end of an era!

Based on a scan of FlightRadar24, it appears that of the most recently active fleet, C-FACV, C-GHTA and C-GLTA have already been ferried to North Bay for storage with the remainder presumably to follow next week.

Do you mean Sunday, January 9? Any word on what routes they’ll be flying tomorrow? I would not be surprised if a lot of them get picked up and converted to freighters…or a couple transferred to Voyageur given they’re heading to YYB. Most, if not all the remaining Dash 8 classics had been given the life extension programme so a lot of them have a good 15 years of life left in them.

I checked AC’s summer schedule out of YYZ for the ex-DH3 routes and:
-YYB, YTS & YQG are all CRJ
-YSB, YAM and YXU are all DH4

Out of YUL:
-YXU returns 1x on a DH4
-YUY & YZV are all CRJ
-YQB, YBG, ZBF, YSJ, YFC, YQM, YYG & YGR (big capacity boost) are all DH4

Out of YOW:
-YQB, YFC & YQM are all CRJ
-YYG is 1x DH4 - pre-pandemic it was 2x CRJ
-YUL is all DH4 - used to be a mixed bag of everything from a DH1 to a 320 - they have streamlined the flight numbers
-YOW-YXU is not returning…or at least not this year

thenoflyzone Jan 9, 2022 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9497309)

I checked AC’s summer schedule out of YYZ for the ex-DH3 routes and:
-YYB, YTS & YQG are all CRJ


Out of YUL:
-YUY & YZV are all CRJ


Out of YOW:
-YQB, YFC & YQM are all CRJ

The CASM on all these 1 hr or so CRJ flights must be significantly higher than on the DH3s. Still don't understand why they got rid of them, considering there was still plenty of life left in them.

BenYOW Jan 9, 2022 3:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9497309)
Do you mean Sunday, January 9? Any word on what routes they’ll be flying tomorrow?

Yes - Sunday, January 9.

Based on what I see on FlightRadar24, it looks like tomorrow's flights will be as follows:
  • C-GKTA will operate between CYYZ and CYQG / CYXU / CYTS, with its final segment from CYTS to YYZ arriving at 2000
  • C-GEWQ will operate between CYUL and CZBF, with its final segment from CZBF to CYUL arriving at 1016
  • C-FTAK will operate between CYYZ and CYQG, with its final segment from CYGQ to CYYZ arriving at 1709
  • C-FMDW will operate between CYUL and CYBG, with its final segment from CYBG to CYUL arriving at 1620
  • C-FADF will operate between CYYZ and CYXU / CYTS, with its final segment from CYXU to CYYZ arriving at 1835

zahav Jan 9, 2022 3:13 AM

I'm glad someone posted on this, I was wondering what was happening since I looked at spring/summer scheds and noticed everything was DH8-400s from YVR (they didn't use the CR200s out here at all AFAIK, it was only DH3 or DH4, then of course the CRJ-900 for further flights). I too am surprised they got rid of them. I thought it served a good purpose for the 50-pax markets, that weren't busy enough to sustain the DH4. But I guess they did the math, and lower frequency on larger planes made more sense. On many of the markets that got upgauged from DH3 to DH4, there was a resulting decrease in frequency to compensate (ie. 3x daily to 2x daily).

Loco101 Jan 9, 2022 5:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9497131)
Dash 8-300s were the only plane we had for decades! I'll miss the rattly plastic overhead bins and whatever else was rattling.
So grateful to have the q400 flying to and from YCG.

I've been on them quite a few times from YTS to YYZ. The Dash 8s did have an advantage according to someone I know who worked her career at Air Canada until fairly recently. She told me that the Dash 8 flights were less likely to be cancelled during Winter due to bad weather. She would tell me to avoid the "Q" when heading to YYZ to connect to a vacation destination flight. Never had an issue and took off from Timmins in a couple of snowstorms.

Denscity Jan 9, 2022 6:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco101 (Post 9497516)
I've been on them quite a few times from YTS to YYZ. The Dash 8s did have an advantage according to someone I know who worked her career at Air Canada until fairly recently. She told me that the Dash 8 flights were less likely to be cancelled during Winter due to bad weather. She would tell me to avoid the "Q" when heading to YYZ to connect to a vacation destination flight. Never had an issue and took off from Timmins in a couple of snowstorms.

Ya dud several Vancouver and Calgary runs on them. Only 1 hour flights tho so did the job.

casper Jan 9, 2022 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9497446)
I'm glad someone posted on this, I was wondering what was happening since I looked at spring/summer scheds and noticed everything was DH8-400s from YVR (they didn't use the CR200s out here at all AFAIK, it was only DH3 or DH4, then of course the CRJ-900 for further flights). I too am surprised they got rid of them. I thought it served a good purpose for the 50-pax markets, that weren't busy enough to sustain the DH4. But I guess they did the math, and lower frequency on larger planes made more sense. On many of the markets that got upgauged from DH3 to DH4, there was a resulting decrease in frequency to compensate (ie. 3x daily to 2x daily).

I suspect this has more to do with the fact that COVID caused Air Canada to reword the schedule and network from the ground up. They went to a minimum network at the peek of the COVID downturn and over the past year have been rebuilding it back up. As they did that they built up the hub schedules and figured out how to serve the market they wanted with fewer flights.

What is going to be interesting is WestJet is now the airline with the better fleet mix for servicing smaller centers in Canada using the Saab regional flights.

thewave46 Jan 10, 2022 3:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9497380)
The CASM on all these 1 hr or so CRJ flights must be significantly higher than on the DH3s. Still don't understand why they got rid of them, considering there was still plenty of life left in them.

American regional airlines have been retiring 50-seat regional jets en masse because their economics are not great for the number of passengers they carry. They were designed in the 1990s when fuel was exceptionally cheap. I think the Q400 - even at lower loads - is more efficient than a fully loaded CRJ200.

Given that the DH3 fleet has life left in it, they share a common type rating with the Q400 (same pilot pool), they’re reliable under hard conditions, and the CRJ200 offers worse economics, I am not sure what AC is thinking.

I was under the impression that the CRJ200 was mostly kept around for secondary US destinations due to the antipathy for props there.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.