SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

SDCAL Nov 7, 2015 4:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 7225497)
Beautiful shot of San Diego by the new courthouse I found on reddit by user NegligentEntrustment

http://i.imgur.com/zb6L7if.jpg

Still too many low rises for my liking

At the risk of sounding "unpatriotic," I really don't like the huge flags they put atop buildings like this one. They make the buildings look even shorter and stubbier than they are.

Derek Nov 7, 2015 8:05 AM

Agreed. The amount of huge flags in downtown San Diego is dumb.

Bertrice Nov 7, 2015 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 7227017)

You have to remind a lot of our "citizens" what country they are in.

SDfan Nov 8, 2015 7:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrice (Post 7227146)
You have to remind a lot of our "citizens" what country they are in.

:chillpill:

Leo the Dog Nov 11, 2015 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 7227017)

I think it's a nice touch.. SD is a huge military town,
full of vets.

Happy Veterans Day!

Leo the Dog Nov 11, 2015 9:20 PM

Anybody know what's going in on El Cajon/Florida (or Georgia)? The entire block has been cleared. Looks like an infill project of some kind.

Also, in PB, on Grand and Cass, demo has begun. The old Purple Cafe is being torn down.

Northparkwizard Nov 12, 2015 12:49 AM

1919 Pacific Highway Development Package.

AC Hotel Gaslamp Development Package. With car lift!

SDCAL Nov 12, 2015 1:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 7231803)
I think it's a nice touch.. SD is a huge military town,
full of vets.

Happy Veterans Day!

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but this is a huge pet peeve, when people use patriotism to criticize others opinions. I'm not sure if you meant to do that, but that's how your post reads. It has nothing to do with the military or Veteran's Day, it has to do with huge flags on top of so many buildings looking cheap and tacky, nothing else. Plus, with all these ridiculous height limits are the flags exempt? We don't want the FAA to be accused of being anti-military! We all know what country we're in. As a resident of downtown I'd like to see downtown move towards being more sophisticated and attract tech jobs or even multi-national businesses. We don't need to be the downtown version of a monster truck barreling down the road with giant flags strapped to it that are way out of proportion to the size of the vehicle.

Bertrice Nov 12, 2015 3:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7232057)
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but this is a huge pet peeve, when people use patriotism to criticize others opinions. I'm not sure if you meant to do that, but that's how your post reads. It has nothing to do with the military or Veteran's Day, it has to do with huge flags on top of so many buildings looking cheap and tacky, nothing else. Plus, with all these ridiculous height limits are the flags exempt? We don't want the FAA to be accused of being anti-military! We all know what country we're in. As a resident of downtown I'd like to see downtown move towards being more sophisticated and attract tech jobs or even multi-national businesses. We don't need to be the downtown version of a monster truck barreling down the road with giant flags strapped to it that are way out of proportion to the size of the vehicle.

Is that you President Obama?

nezbn22 Nov 12, 2015 11:32 AM

Quote:

The irony, of course, is that you're the one who's using patriotism to criticize someone else's opinion. There was nothing critical about Leo's post. He expressed a different opinion than you, but it was expressed entirely in a positive manner. Not once was he critical of anyone else's view.

JPAztec Nov 12, 2015 3:26 PM

Quote:

What a joke of a post.

dales5050 Nov 12, 2015 5:00 PM

Quote:

I'd like to see downtown move towards being more sophisticated and attract tech jobs or even multi-national businesses. We don't need to be the downtown version of a monster truck barreling down the road with giant flags strapped to it that are way out of proportion to the size of the vehicle.

And with a single post you have articulated yourself as a person perfectly.

Northparkwizard Nov 12, 2015 6:17 PM

Take it to a politics message board ladies.

IconRPCV Nov 12, 2015 6:40 PM

Flags are pretty.

Leo the Dog Nov 12, 2015 6:46 PM

Quote:

Just my opinion. I like the look that's all. Derek doesn't like the look and that's fine. :notacrook:

SDfan Nov 12, 2015 9:17 PM

Nvm

dl3000 Nov 13, 2015 4:03 AM

Quote:

Plus, with all these ridiculous height limits are the flags exempt? We don't want the FAA to be accused of being anti-military!

I think you were on to something, but then I thought of the tallest building. You would think it would have a flag as well, and if they were exempt it probably would, but it is at the height limit, which is probably why it doesn't. It is called America Plaza after all...

The Flying Dutchman Nov 13, 2015 6:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dl3000 (Post 7233648)
I think you were on to something, but then I thought of the tallest building. You would think it would have a flag as well, and if they were exempt it probably would, but it is at the height limit, which is probably why it doesn't. It is called America Plaza after all...

Need to update your Avatar tag, just sayin' :cool:

Not really skyscraper-related, but downtown so anything goes :) Brigantine could very well replace Anthony's on the waterfront.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...s-replacement/

Streamliner Nov 13, 2015 5:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman (Post 7233748)
Need to update your Avatar tag, just sayin' :cool:

Not really skyscraper-related, but downtown so anything goes :) Brigantine could very well replace Anthony's on the waterfront.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...s-replacement/

I don't really remember the other options, but this one is definitely unique looking. I kind of like it from the street side, but it looks kind of bland from the bay.

Regarding flags, I agree with SDCAL that they tend to make the buildings they sit on look a lot shorter. There's no real context as to how large those flags are (and the one on One Columbia Place is big!), so design-wise, I see your point. I never really thought whether there were too many of them or not downtown though. New buildings certainly don't have them, so they seem like a relic of pre-1990s downtown. As San Diego grows, I think they're actually adding to the diversity of the skyline.

I do love flags though. I actually like how Mexico puts ridiculously large flags in their cities. I don't think we should go that big here in San Diego, but a nice trio of large, US, California, and San Diego flags would be pretty cool somewhere downtown.

Bonus pic of Tijuana's cool flag with the SD skyline in the distance:

http://c1-preview.prosites.com/temp2...%20Tijuana.jpg
Source

Urbanize_It Nov 13, 2015 7:12 PM

Well its official, this thread is completely dead. It has progressed from endless conjecture about an airport, which will never move, to moronic political and xenophobic rantings. Time to find a new source for my downtown development updates. Tchau!