SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

NoirYorkCity Mar 24, 2013 10:53 AM

hey where can I get that nordstrom tower 3d model building? I cant find it anywhere

Yankee fan for life Mar 24, 2013 5:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoirYorkCity (Post 6064627)
hey where can I get that nordstrom tower 3d model building? I cant find it anywhere

Nordstrom tower 3d model ? there has not even been an official render forget about finding a 3d model.

JayPro Mar 24, 2013 5:25 PM

If you were referring to the big blue mock-up a page or two back, that was just a mass model to demonstrate--more or less--the footage^2 that the tower would take up.

I'm afraid we're all on pins and needles here waiting for an official drawing.

NoirYorkCity Mar 24, 2013 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life (Post 6064847)
Nordstrom tower 3d model ? there has not even been an official render forget about finding a 3d model.

a few pages before.. there were pics from google earth with that building

Yankee fan for life Mar 24, 2013 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoirYorkCity (Post 6064894)
a few pages before.. there were pics from google earth with that building

I need an official source to confirm that's the official design .until then i think that's just a fan made mock up

JayPro Mar 25, 2013 12:26 AM

Of *course* it's a mock-up(!) :pillowfight:

Would the architects behind the most wildly anticipated supertall this city's had since (maybe) 200G--and now HY1--release something so...well...*vapid*??? And on Google Earth, even?? And, furthermore, something to be recognized as the mothership store/HQ's for arguably the top fashion retailer in the country???

Nah....we're gonna see something that IMO's gonna push the envelope; but juuuuuuuust enough. IMO it's too tall for a spire; so I'm expecting a crown that's had some creative expenditure put in to it, but at the same time pays some righteous homage to both its immediate location and broader surroundings.

The proportions in the design set forth here don't do it from every possible angle. The finished product IMO *has* to. The facade shown in this mock-up just screams "for general illustrative purposes only". The finished product *must* grab attention for its outward aspects precisely in abstraction from its size.

JayPro Mar 25, 2013 4:50 AM

Okay, I think we've established the basic proposition that these are massing models...skillfully made at that, and given the data that the artist had access to work with.

I also believe we've discovered this: They were made by a skilled person who, unless I'm disabused of the assumption, has nothing to do with either the architectural firm designing the thing or the corporate entity set to make said thing their new corporate monument and global command post.

My previous gum-batting session a.k.a. post was meant to ease some fears that this was to be the official render. Never mind that the artist's SN *directly* pointed to authorship; let's put that aside for a minute and think for a bit:

What architectural firm worth its salt will assign an company-hired rendering expert to put the first ever official version on *Google Earth*????? The very idea is IMHO so inane as to not dignify it with further comment...snarky, sarcastic or otherwise.

That's all I meant to suggest; and I can understand if the artist feels in some way indignant over any inferred misrepresentation of his work.

To be fair on the other side, though, it's not as much blindness as it is a rapidly spreading case of frayed nerves from waiting for the next big press release.

aquablue Mar 25, 2013 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayPro (Post 6065530)
Okay, I think we've established the basic proposition that these are massing models...skillfully made at that, and given the data that the artist had access to work with.

I also believe we've discovered this: They were made by a skilled person who, unless I'm disabused of the assumption, has nothing to do with either the architectural firm designing the thing or the corporate entity set to make said thing their new corporate monument and global command post.

My previous gum-batting session a.k.a. post was meant to ease some fears that this was to be the official render. Never mind that the artist's SN *directly* pointed to authorship; let's put that aside for a minute and think for a bit:

What architectural firm worth its salt will assign an company-hired rendering expert to put the first ever official version on *Google Earth*????? The very idea is IMHO so inane as to not dignify it with further comment...snarky, sarcastic or otherwise.

That's all I meant to suggest; and I can understand if the artist feels in some way indignant over any inferred misrepresentation of his work.

To be fair on the other side, though, it's not as much blindness as it is a rapidly spreading case of frayed nerves from waiting for the next big press release.

Did you ever hear of the word 'succinct'? :haha:

aquablue Mar 25, 2013 4:30 PM

On a more serious note, the knife-blade design of this mock-up doesn't appeal to me so much. We already have similar designs (scissors) on the HY, so I'd actually prefer something different here and I hope the architects/developers agree with me!

MarshallKnight Mar 25, 2013 6:25 PM

What do we think the chances are that we wind up with a Y-shaped design here, a la Burj Khalifa and Kingdom Tower? AS+GG have a lot of experience with those designs, and I think they could knock one out of the park here.

Part of the reason those very tall towers were Y-shaped was for added stability against the wind -- and it doesn't seem like 225 w57th will be tall enough to necessitate that -- but it also maximizes the number of units that could have spectacular views. Same reason all the Vegas hotels are Y-shaped: every unit has a view.

Wouldn't such a design make sense for Barnett, in a super high end condo where the views are driving the prices up into the stratosphere? (Of course, a tripartite design wouldn't extend all the way to the base, but you could have the 7-story Nordstrom as a podium, from which a Y-shaped tower could rise.) Any thoughts on that?

NYguy Mar 25, 2013 11:42 PM

People, there have been no details of the design (other than what was in the Shedule A - which is subject to change). No renderings have been released and probably won't be for a while.

TechTalkGuy Mar 26, 2013 3:13 AM

:previous: NYguy, what are the odds that that once the official renders become available to the public, that the actual height could change?

scalziand Mar 26, 2013 6:35 AM

^If Extell manages to acquire more airrights, the height will definitely change.

Design-mind Mar 26, 2013 3:10 PM

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/130319854

Quote:

The new building, set to rise at 225 W. 57th St., will reach at least 1,550 feet, according to building permits, though Gary Barnett, Extell's principal, has said it could go even higher if he can assemble more air rights.

JayPro Mar 26, 2013 4:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquablue (Post 6065849)
Did you ever hear of the word 'succinct'? :haha:

I don't have that gift, I'm afraid.......:cheers:

NYguy Mar 26, 2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy (Post 6066797)
:previous: NYguy, what are the odds that that once the official renders become available to the public, that the actual height could change?

I don't think we will get official renderings until the design is complete. There's always the chance something could leak out though.

NYguy Apr 4, 2013 9:19 PM

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=ES852584174

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/149524893/original.jpg

TechTalkGuy Apr 5, 2013 3:16 AM

:previous: NYguy What specifically does this permit request actually secure?

uaarkson Apr 5, 2013 3:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy (Post 6079398)

"Respectfully request approval and issuance of a permit for noted application for Excavation and Foundation"

Says right there in the first two lines of text.

NYguy Apr 5, 2013 6:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy (Post 6079398)

Yeah, just another formality required for excavation from the DEP (environmental protection). In other words, there won't be a "Chicago Spire" type hole, should the building not get built.

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/149530345/original.jpg