SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: ORD & MDW discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87889)

F1 Tommy Jun 28, 2019 7:51 PM

Very last AA system flight for the MD-80 will be flight #80 from DFW to ORD on September 4th. Then it will get ferried to Roswell New Mexico.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...s/default.aspx

Steely Dan Jun 28, 2019 10:02 PM

^ a fitting end for a bird that saw LOTS of action with AA at ORD and DFW over the decades.

this will leave delta as the last major US operator of MD-80/90, and with delta's minimal presence at ORD, we won't be seeing nearly as many of them anymore.

oh well, it's for the best really. i know many will get nostalgic for the aircraft, but i always though they were obscenely noisy anywhere near the rear of the plane.

NikolasM Jun 28, 2019 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1052 (Post 8618277)
It's clear. I think it's mostly used for departures anyway or 22R a tiny bit for arrivals, only in a very small minority of wind conditions. I think I've departed from 4L maybe once in several years and I used to fly 2-3 times a week.

https://i.imgur.com/RTMrOEF.png

4L-22R should really be moved to the top (NW) corner of the airport grounds, intersecting 9L-27R. Then you could do the mid field concourses right. It would also free up tons of land for more cargo/hangar space to the north of the terminals.

k1052 Jun 28, 2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikolasM (Post 8619270)
4L-22R should really be moved to the top (NW) corner of the airport grounds, intersecting 9L-27R. Then you could do the mid field concourses right. It would also free up tons of land for more cargo/hangar space to the north of the terminals.

That's a lot of money to spend for a slightly more optimal concourse alignment. If the airport needs more cargo space, which they won't for a long while probably when Aeroterm's phase 3 is done, they can push east to Bessie Coleman instead where CDA is now and use up Parking G.

N830MH Jun 29, 2019 6:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago (Post 8618816)
Started construction last month and will take 2 years to complete.

"Work on two satellite concourses to the west of United's operation in terminal 1 will begin in 2020. Satellite 2 will be built first opening in 2023, likely to accommodate the United Express operation that must vacate terminal 2 before the space can be demolished. Satellite 1, which will be connected to the existing concourse C, work will begin in 2021 and complete in 2024."

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/3/20...n-construction

Thanks for your info. Please posts a construction photos. We would like to see it.

wchicity Jun 29, 2019 1:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 8619489)
Thanks for your info. Please posts a construction photos. We would like to see it.

When flying out of T5 last week, it seemed as if the terminal expansion itself had not broken ground. There was a lot of construction on the surrounding tarmac though, so I assume they're expanding/moving around the tarmac before they start on the structure itself.

I'd imagine they would have a hard time giving up coveted T5 gate space during the busy summer season as well.

Jim in Chicago Jul 3, 2019 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum (Post 8618212)
I'm a little confused about where the Terminal-1 expansion satellites are going to go, looking at this image. Seems like they would run into 4L or at least the infrastructure servicing it.

The infrastructure part is easy - they'll just route you on another endless loop that will take you to Wisconsin and back.

Jim in Chicago Jul 3, 2019 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1 Tommy (Post 8619080)
Very last AA system flight for the MD-80 will be flight #80 from DFW to ORD on September 4th. Then it will get ferried to Roswell New Mexico.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...s/default.aspx

Assuming it will be scrapped, they could sell tickets for people to have a whack at it with an acetylene torch. I'd pay good money to play a small part it it's demise. It was a red eye from LAS to ORD that put me over the edge and into the arms of an airline that didn't fly the Mad Dog.

k1052 Jul 4, 2019 2:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago (Post 8622722)
Assuming it will be scrapped, they could sell tickets for people to have a whack at it with an acetylene torch. I'd pay good money to play a small part it it's demise. It was a red eye from LAS to ORD that put me over the edge and into the arms of an airline that didn't fly the Mad Dog.

I really miss these planes due to their 2-3 seating. Too bad they could not have been re-engined economically. I'm more inclined to fly Delta these days since they still have a bunch of 717s and now the A220 (former CSeries) is reaching the fleet. I've spent WAY too much time in 737s (and the MAXes are supremely uncomfortable) to have much fondness for them.

LouisVanDerWright Jul 4, 2019 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1052 (Post 8623586)
I really miss these planes due to their 2-3 seating. Too bad they could not have been re-engined economically. I'm more inclined to fly Delta these days since they still have a bunch of 717s and now the A220 (former CSeries) is reaching the fleet. I've spent WAY too much time in 737s (and the MAXes are supremely uncomfortable) to have much fondness for them.

Yeah, the MD-80 was an excellent airplane, what's the issue? I just flew on one in Hawaii again last summer. I love how they basically take off 90 degrees to the ground.

The best was Midwest Express (which is apparently about to make a comeback as a new airline) which outfitted MD-80's in a private jet like 2-2 seating configuration of all leather ultra comfy first class seats. There was nothing like being able to fly direct from Milwaukee to anywhere in the continental US like that.

Image of the MD-80 not sucking:

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos...5471.jpg?v=v40
airliners.net

k1052 Jul 4, 2019 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8623818)
Yeah, the MD-80 was an excellent airplane, what's the issue? I just flew on one in Hawaii again last summer. I love how they basically take off 90 degrees to the ground.

The best was Midwest Express (which is apparently about to make a comeback as a new airline) which outfitted MD-80's in a private jet like 2-2 seating configuration of all leather ultra comfy first class seats. There was nothing like being able to fly direct from Milwaukee to anywhere in the continental US like that.

The JT8D engines on the MD-80 are very inefficient and offer poor performance compared to modern options. Also IIRC they exceed noise thresholds increasingly in place at airports. American had looked at a re-engine program but decided to buy new aircraft instead (737s).

If you were in Hawaii you were probably on a 717 (MD-95) which while visually very similar to the MD-80 is of a different size and performance level. 717s are extremely popular these days and it's too bad bad timing and corporate interests (to sell more 737s) at Boeing killed the line. The market has been without an efficent flexible 100 seat aircraft for decades until the CSeries that now belongs to Airbus as the A220.

Steely Dan Jul 8, 2019 8:05 PM

new news.

it's an all-chicago team, Studio Gang & SOM.

Quote:

Column: Chicago picks Skidmore, Owings & Merrill to design two satellite concourses for O’Hare expansion

Blair Kamin
CHICAGO TRIBUNE
JUL 08, 2019 | 2:10 PM

Chicago officials announced Monday that they have picked Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, best known as the architects of Willis Tower and the former John Hancock Center, to design two satellite concourses as part of the $8.5 billion expansion of O’Hare International Airport.

The selection marks the second time that the city has tapped hometown firms from five finalists vying for the lucrative O’Hare expansion contracts. The other three firms were from outside Chicago.

In May, the city signed a contract worth up to $160 million with a design team headed by Chicago architect Jeanne Gang to lead the expansion of O’Hare, which this year reclaimed its title as the nation’s busiest airport as ranked by total flights.

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, which has designed airports in other cities, “was the second highest scoring bid” in rankings from the city’s selection committee, said Matthew McGrath, a spokesman for the city’s Department of Aviation.

He declined to specify the committee’s reasons for the selection. City officials have not identified members of the committee, saying their identities should be kept secret to prevent outsiders from influencing the process.

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill still must negotiate a contract with the city.

Ground is scheduled to be broken on the two satellite concourses, which will cost about $1.4 billion, in January 2022. They will be built to the west of the current terminal complex.
source: https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...jre-story.html

nomarandlee Jul 8, 2019 8:22 PM

If this is the model for the concourse I'm not overly excited but I wouldn't say I'm put out either. Hope they went back to the drawing board a bit after they lost out on the global terminal. Also I'm just glad they weren't the ones to win the global terminal as it was clearly my least favorite.

via curbed Chicago....
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/U4Y-...iOS__86_.0.jpg

r18tdi Jul 10, 2019 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 8626897)
If this is the model for the concourse I'm not overly excited but I wouldn't say I'm put out either. Hope they went back to the drawing board a bit after they lost out on the global terminal. Also I'm just glad they weren't the ones to win the global terminal as it was clearly my least favorite.

That definitely looks like their model for the global terminal.

Jim in Chicago Jul 11, 2019 3:57 PM

I realize that those designs are preliminary, but is there some rule that every airport concourse in Chicago has to have stupid little arms hanging off it at one end or both. What's wrong with one beautiful streamlined building. I guess the ORD C concourse as built comes close.

Steely Dan Jul 24, 2019 1:36 AM

It's official, Qantas starts 4x weekly service between Brisbane and O'Hare on April 20, 2020!

The 17 hour flight will be the 4th longest in the world.

This will give ORD non-stop service to all 6 inhabitted continents.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-laun..._campaign=news

SIGSEGV Jul 24, 2019 2:31 AM

We already have service to NZ (which greatly facilitates deployment to the 7th continent, since ORD->AKL->CHC-MCM is pretty easy, as far as getting to Antarctica goes...).

N830MH Jul 25, 2019 6:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8640065)
It's official, Qantas starts 4x weekly service between Brisbane and O'Hare on April 20, 2020!

The 17 hour flight will be the 4th longest in the world.

This will give ORD non-stop service to all 6 inhabitted continents.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-laun..._campaign=news

Nice! I am not looking forward to sit on the plane for 17 hours. That's too much! Instead, I definitely will try to fly nonstop from LAX-SIN or SYD in near the future.

nomarandlee Jul 25, 2019 7:54 PM

Pretty scathing long article about the history and never ever development of O'Hare,

Quote:

https://projects.bettergov.org/2019/...oken-promises/

For more than 50 years, the airport has been plagued by corruption and costly delays. The politically connected cash in. Meanwhile, passengers trudge through a transit hub that persistently underperforms.
By Alejandra Cancino, Better Government Association
July 24, 2019

This article was co-published with Chicago Magazine.

......It serves not only as a transit hub but as a buffet of lucrative public works projects for well-connected contractors, consultants and lobbyists. Often those projects are put forth to right the wrongs of previous failed projects at O’Hare, a Better Government Association investigation found......

Steely Dan Jul 25, 2019 8:24 PM

^ let's hope Lori can bring some of her light up the Kennedy out to ORD.

F1 Tommy Jul 26, 2019 10:33 PM

A little off topic but if you really love aviation and since it's so close you should try to get up the EAA AirVenture event up at Oshkosh Wisconsin. I just came back and am always amazed at how good an airshow it is. So many people come in from Europe and South America via Chicago for this Airshow. I even ran into a group of 140 people who came all the way from South Africa on SAA to Amsterdam and then on to Chicago on KLM. They are all also staying in Chicago and as usual they all say they absolutely love downtown Chicago and hate O'Hare's international terminal. They are always happy to hear O'Hare is getting a new 8 billion dollar terminal.

Jim in Chicago Jul 30, 2019 7:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 8641854)
Pretty scathing long article about the history and never ever development of O'Hare,

I tried to read it, but the combination of white type on a black background and a series of misleading statements in the opening paragraphs caused me to give up.

It even twists words to make it sound like the people moved never opened.

And, no, Terminal 4 wasn't used for just a few years and then scrapped. It was intended from the beginning to be temporary!

Next.

Kngkyle Aug 8, 2019 1:57 PM

American is adding three new international routes next summer -

Chicago - Krakow (5x weekly)
Chicago - Budapest (5x weekly)
Chicago - Prague (4x weekly)

Krakow and Budapest are not new routes for Chicago (LOT serves both), but Prague will be. AA now serves more destinations from Chicago to Europe than UA, however all but London are during the summer only, whereas UA flies the majority of theirs year-round.

Steely Dan Aug 8, 2019 4:32 PM

^ even though they're just seasonal routes, it's good to see AA expanding international service at ORD once again.

F1 Tommy Aug 8, 2019 6:40 PM

AA keeps throwing summer routes out there to see what sticks. UA has a more long-term strategy with ORD. On the flip side AA does use brand new 787 8's and 9's. UA uses antique 777-200's and 767-300's on international routes and leaves all the brand new aircraft to the coastal routes.

Steely Dan Aug 12, 2019 2:10 PM

WHY?

WON'T?

IT?

DIE?

Quote:

Does the Chicago area need another airport? Plans for a Peotone airport are back, this time with an e-commerce spin.

By MARY WISNIEWSKI
CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
AUG 12, 2019 | 6:33 AM

Plans for a south suburban airport are back on the political front burner, this time with talk about how it could be used by e-commerce giants like Amazon.

The idea of an airport in Peotone, located in the rural exurbs 44 miles south of Chicago, has been debated for decades. The proposal was revived in this year’s Illinois budget, with $162 million allocated toward road improvements that would connect I-57 to the proposed airport site, along with an environmental review and the completion of a master plan.

The airport proposal has a shot this time, both because e-commerce companies could use it for transporting goods to and from massive distribution centers south of the city, and because the state is putting money into it, said DePaul University transportation expert Joseph Schwieterman.

“The stars have aligned both politically and economically, with interested politicians and prospective customers for the cargo business,” Schwieterman said. “Years of acquiring land has set the stage for a fairly fast timetable."
source: https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...z6u-story.html

UPChicago Aug 12, 2019 4:37 PM

Given that Will County is the nation's largest inland port, I think it might be a good idea to have an airport down that way

Chi-Sky21 Aug 12, 2019 5:11 PM

seems stupid to me, Rockford already handles a lot of ecommerce, just keep using that and maybe help out Gary.....our state does not have the money for this.

Jim in Chicago Aug 12, 2019 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8655812)

The answer to that question remains the same "no, it does NOT need another airport". Haven't the airlines repeatedly said that they wouldn't fly there? I guess they need to compete with MidAmerica airport - remember that?

F1 Tommy Aug 29, 2019 5:17 PM

United 787 Dreamliner regular service finally for ORD in 2020. It took long enough as all the other UAL major international hubs have had them for several years now.
They only send the 787's or 777-300's into Chicago now when they get a new aircraft type to show off to the corporate leadership :D

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...o-service.html

Tom In Chicago Aug 29, 2019 9:50 PM

Back in 2012 United was flying the 787 between various cities for non regular scheduled test flights and I booked a flight between ORD and IAH. . . I was bumped up to first class as well which was pretty cool. . . it was the only time I've flown a 787 and have flown over 130 flights since then out of Chicago. . .

. . .

kbud Sep 3, 2019 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago (Post 8673078)
Back in 2012 United was flying the 787 between various cities for non regular scheduled test flights and I booked a flight between ORD and IAH. . . I was bumped up to first class as well which was pretty cool. . . it was the only time I've flown a 787 and have flown over 130 flights since then out of Chicago. . .

. . .

Did United announce which version of the 787 will be flown to Frankfurt, Munich and Brussels? With LH hubs, I wouldn't think they'd want to reduce capacity to the German cities. Does that translate to United deploying the 787-10 to Frankfurt and Munich? Depending on the season, Brussels had switched between the 763 and the 772. I love seeing larger aircraft at ORD, but it seems like a route for less than demand that the other two even if a smaller Star Hub.

Chi-Sky21 Sep 4, 2019 6:56 PM

Last S-80 out of Ohare today for American
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...8a&oe=5E11BA01

Steely Dan Sep 4, 2019 7:41 PM

I know delta still has a bunch of MD-80/90s in its fleet, but does anyone know if they fly any of them to ORD?

if not, that might be the last mainline T-tail to ever operate at ORD.

but man, what a run the MD-80 had at ORD with AA for the last 4 decades.

nomarandlee Sep 4, 2019 9:01 PM

That really is an end to an era. A bit like the MD-10 commercial service went the way of the Do-do.

Kngkyle Sep 5, 2019 2:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8677663)
I know delta still has a bunch of MD-80/90s in its fleet, but does anyone know if they fly any of them to ORD?

if not, that might be the last mainline T-tail to ever operate at ORD.

but man, what a run the MD-80 had at ORD with AA for the last 4 decades.

Delta's 717s should still be around for awhile. I'm sure they're frequent visitors at ORD.

Steely Dan Sep 5, 2019 4:26 AM

^ oh yeah, I forgot about those. Delta has a fair number of 717's and they almost certainly still operate them out of ORD, and will likely do so for many years to come.

Thanks for the correction.

takascar Sep 11, 2019 12:56 PM

Anyone have any updates on construction?

They were working on tearing up part of the tarmac near T-5, but I don't see any actual work being done on T-5 itself.

Also, saw an article that they were going to get a jump on digging the tunnel for the new satellite terminals.

kbud Sep 11, 2019 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takascar (Post 8683902)
Anyone have any updates on construction?

They were working on tearing up part of the tarmac near T-5, but I don't see any actual work being done on T-5 itself.

Also, saw an article that they were going to get a jump on digging the tunnel for the new satellite terminals.

I don't know the answer, but it seems like the T-5 expansion has been in the works for years now and seems to have slowed once the ORD 21 program was put on the table. I might be wrong, but that's my perception. There were articles written in March this year that stated ground was broken on the T5 expansion for what's it worth.

What will happen to gates M19-21 during the expansion? Will temporary jet bridges be used so the concourse doesn't lose three key gates during construction.

RockfordSoxFan Sep 18, 2019 3:08 PM

Getting caught up on this thread. I had no idea Peotone was still a thing. The article mentioned potential e-commerce as a reason for renewed interest. Uhh, sorry, the e-commerce industry has already spoken and they’ve invested heavily in RFD.

https://www.dhbusinessledger.com/bus...argo-shipments

nomarandlee Sep 27, 2019 4:38 AM

Quote:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...r-moving-along

GREG HINZ ON POLITICS
September 25, 2019 05:38 PM UPDATED 4 HOURS AGO
Here’s how O’Hare’s $8.5 billion makeover is moving along
City Aviation Commissioner Jamie Rhee gives an update on the huge terminal expansion project that was started by Emanuel but now is Lightfoot's job to complete.

...And though she didn't say so, she gave every indication that Elon Musk's proposed super-fast train tube between the Loop and O'Hare likely died when its chief proponent, former Mayor Rahm Emanuel, left office.......

Construction also will start soon on a 10-gate expansion of Terminal 5, which now serves only international flights but is being converted to dual use. Preliminary site preparation already is underway.

When completed, Delta Air Lines will shift its entire O'Hare operation to the west end of Terminal 5, with foreign-flag carriers dominating at the other end.......

Gang at the session "talked a lot about bringing the neighborhoods into the (final) design," which could look rather different than the airy, tree-filled space concept that Gang pitched (above) in winning the job, Rhee said. "She's going to be doing a lot of community outreach," with a series of public meetings to be held soon.......

the urban politician Sep 28, 2019 2:48 PM

Nevermind

Vlajos Sep 28, 2019 2:57 PM

What does community outreach have to do with airport design? And why would we want it anyway?

the urban politician Sep 28, 2019 3:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlajos (Post 8700965)
What does community outreach have to do with airport design? And why would we want it anyway?

I kind of agree.

This trend to have community meetings about everything seems to have kind of reached new highs. Why not trust the experts?

Vlajos Sep 28, 2019 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8700982)
I kind of agree.

This trend to have community meetings about everything seems to have kind of reached new highs. Why not trust the experts?

Look at the UK when you leave important decisions up to the masses. It leads to disaster.

k1052 Sep 28, 2019 4:36 PM

I think this is less than most people think. Gang and co will listen to what people have to say but ultimately the design decisions are up to them and the client. It's more the illusion of community involvement than anything.

F1 Tommy Sep 28, 2019 11:19 PM

Air X Charter Ltd A340 on the ORD ramp Thursday. Not sure what kind of executive charter it was....

aquablue Oct 4, 2019 2:49 AM

I don't like the design they chose. The woodsy feeling, the flooring, the central atrium that looks church-like, just no. Whole thing looks like a 90's mall. I hope they change the entire thing because it is just a second-rate design compared to airport terminals going up today globally. Would have gone with Foster or Calatrava myself, they had far more contemporary designs than this thing and are experienced. However, it seems they went with the local firm because of home-town bias probably.

OrdoSeclorum Oct 4, 2019 1:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquablue (Post 8706681)
I don't like the design they chose. The woodsy feeling, the flooring, the central atrium that looks church-like, just no. Whole thing looks like a 90's mall. I hope they change the entire thing because it is just a second-rate design compared to airport terminals going up today globally. Would have gone with Foster or Calatrava myself, they had far more contemporary designs than this thing and are experienced. However, it seems they went with the local firm because of home-town bias probably.

I don't know. I was just in several Charles De Gaulle terminals this week--several only a few years old--and the most important thing is how they flow and work logisitically. The Calatrava design looked impressive, but I don't know if it would work as well. Can you get from gate to gate easily? Can you move freely while still not feeling like you're sitting in a cavern? Can you see where you need to go without having to look at signs constantly and still not feel like you are sitting in a cavern.

galleyfox Oct 4, 2019 6:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum (Post 8706968)
I don't know. I was just in several Charles De Gaulle terminals this week--several only a few years old--and the most important thing is how they flow and work logisitically. The Calatrava design looked impressive, but I don't know if it would work as well. Can you get from gate to gate easily? Can you move freely while still not feeling like you're sitting in a cavern? Can you see where you need to go without having to look at signs constantly and still not feel like you are sitting in a cavern.

I think this thread is overestimating the sort of changes being proposed. It sounds like they're going to the community to ask about what they want for passenger facilities and indoor decor, not a wholesale redesign of the building. Which is perfectly reasonable. They've got 10 years to adapt to changing tastes.

Although architects liked the look of the Foster design, I heard from my brother who works in airport operations and from some other sources that the Gang proposal was far superior from the airport operations point of view.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JGMA_arch...87750993616898
Small, hard-to-find, airside connections between terminals, orphaned gates, and concourse gates too far from amenities, a theater for passengers instead of a flexible ground space for airfield and baggage equipment, and so on.

There were fundamental design flaws in the Foster proposal, whereas the suggested fixes to the Gang proposal were easy. Get rid of the plants and trees (bugs, rats and maintenance nightmares), questionable skylight, improve the concessions and possibly change the aesthetics.