SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

RoldanTTLB Nov 26, 2012 10:36 PM

The architect of record is just the firm licensed in NY to file. Most famous architects that would design such a building aren't licensed to file plans here in the state. For example Lord Norman Foster does not maintain a NYS Archict's license (nor should he need to). So much like florists, most architects work with local firms (the architect of record). These guys just happen to be a very high profile local architect.

hunser Nov 26, 2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 5914671)
I smell a spire to get over 1,500' from 88 stories.

I don't think so, the DOB never counts spires / antennas / crowns etc. The 1,550' figure is the last occupied floor.

Fellow forumer Hudson posted the right question ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson11 (Post 97716461)
how large will the Nordstrom store will be?

That's why the floor count is so low. Iirc the store should take about 250,000 sf to 300,000 sf.

scalziand Nov 26, 2012 10:51 PM

The permit is a bit murky about how large the store will be, unless it counts as 'community facility'. Perhaps one of the residential blocks of space is mislabeled and should be retail.

Use Zoning Area (sq.ft.) District FAR
RESIDENTIAL 350,822 C5-1 3.86
RESIDENTIAL 367,908 C5-3 4.05
RESIDENTIAL 139,205 C6-6 1.53
COMMUNITY FACILITY 63,326 C5-1 1.94
COMMUNITY FACILITY 19,030 C5-3 0.21

Eidolon Nov 26, 2012 10:55 PM

:omg:

I could see this one going for an even 1800ft with a large spire to beat 1WTC!
If they add a spire equal in size to the one at 1WTC, the height of this building will be close to 2000ft.

I can't wait until they unveil the design.

sbarn Nov 26, 2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarshallKnight (Post 5914689)
Holy hell is right. This is incredibly exciting news.
Since I'm relatively new to this, can someone explain the significance of the Architect of Record to me? In this case: AAI, P.C.: http://www.adamson-associates.com/#
They're associated with the WTC and the MoMA tower among many other impressive projects, but does the fact that they're on the record mean that they will actually be designing the tower, or at least officially attached to the project in some way?

Also, this is the site of the "AAI" that Curbed linked to, claiming that they would be doing the design: http://www.aaiarchitects.net
Entrusting New York's newest tallest building to a firm without a single skyscraper in their portfolio has the potential for hilarity... but I was more than a little relieved to discover that wasn't the case.

Depends on the arrangement with the actual design architect. Their role can range from filing DOB documents and plans to actually producing construction drawings, etc. Its common practice to have multiple architects working on a project of this scale.

manchester united Nov 26, 2012 11:21 PM

Why only 88 floors ?

hunser Nov 26, 2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchester united (Post 5914773)
Why only 88 floors ?

Post #322.

The low floor count is probably due to Nordstrom store taking about 300k sf of retail space in the lower section of the tower.

Dale Nov 26, 2012 11:49 PM

Sounds fine by me. Bring it on!

Crawford Nov 27, 2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson11 (Post 5914646)
at 1500 ft this tower will be a bit less imposing as depicted here

It's 1550 to roof, so will probably be at least 1600 or so, even without spire.

Crawford Nov 27, 2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchester united (Post 5914773)
Why only 88 floors ?

I'm guessing Nordstrom will have tremendous floor heights, and the condos will probably be like 432 Park and the rest of the newcomers (super high ceilings).

Eidolon Nov 27, 2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 5914877)
It's 1550 to roof, so will probably be at least 1600 or so, even without spire.

Mechanical floors will take this to over 1600 feet and a crown/spire will take this to over 1700 feet in my opinion.

It's so exciting to see that NYC is finally set to steal the tallest roof height in the US back from Chicago. I'm still wrapping my head arround that fact and it just doesn't seem real yet. :notacrook:

-Filipe- Nov 27, 2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eidolon (Post 5914889)
Mechanical floors will take this to over 1600 feet and a crown/spire will take this to over 1700 feet in my opinion.

It's so exciting to see that NYC is finally set to steal the tallest roof height in the US back from Chicago. I'm still wrapping my head arround that fact and it just doesn't seem real yet. :notacrook:

wow your right i didnt think about the mechanical floors wow lol this will be amazing lol

Zapatan Nov 27, 2012 2:39 AM

Holy jeez!!

This is amazing news, a building the size of Shanghai World Financial Center next to central park is mind boggling to think about! It could even be higher!

pico44 Nov 27, 2012 11:01 AM

Render!
Render!
Render!
Render!

Com'on NY Times, you go get that render and bring it back to us.

Eidolon Nov 27, 2012 12:18 PM

http://observer.com/2012/11/gary-bar...50-foot-tower/
Gary Barnett’s Biggest Blockbuster Yet: 225 West 57th Street, New York’s First 1,550-Foot Tower

By Matt Chaban 6:00am

Quote:

But a year or two after that, and he might turn his gaze further down 57th Street, past the already striking 1,005-foot One57 tower, Gary Barnett’s billionaire bauble nearing completion despite that crane accident. There it would settle on another tower being developed by Mr. Barnett, at 225 West 57th Street, just one block from what was already going to be the city’s tallest apartment building when it opens next year. The new tower’s height, according to building permits filed last week: 1,550 feet.

That would make it the world’s sixth tallest building—at least until something else comes along and knocks it off its pedestal.

That is a good 50 percent taller than either the Chrysler Building or One57, while all three are about the same size, between 1.2 and 1.4 million square feet. The tower will be slender, but it will also be solid unlike some of its spindly rivals, notably 432 Park and predecessors like the Trump World Tower.
(Amazing how that held the record for tallest apartment building for a decade, surpassed by only a few feet by Frank Gehry’s Spruce Street tower, and now, it’s just off to the races, especially when the 1,050-foot MoMA tower is added into the mix. And never mind all the super-tall office towers on the horizon, like the 1,300-footer at Hudson Yards and all those maybe-taller towers coming out of the Midtown East rezoning.)

The tower will reach 88 stories, which sounds like a lot, but when the overall height is considered, that belies exceedingly high ceilings. At the same time, much extra space will also likely be devoted to mechanical systems to keep such a colossus running, as well as the fact that the first five floors, as construction documents show, will be given over to a Nordstroms, as was announced in July. On the seventh through 12th floors, there will be a hotel, and than, boom, 223 residential units. That is almost twice as many units as One57, though the hotel is also considerably larger there.

“I don’t want to confirm anything except to say we’ve filed permits,” Mr. Barnett told The Observer Monday by phone, when asked if the project had financing and was set to rise.
Quote:

“There won’t be a spire or anything like that, the floors will go all the way to the top, or almost to the top, with some mechanicals above,” Mr. Barnett said. “This is not a gimmick.”

On the highest occupiable floor, the 85th, construction documents call for a “residential accessory lounge open to sky.” Apartments will be from the 15th through 84th floors, with no mention of layouts (full-floor, duplex, etc.). The building permits also mention another residential lounge on the 14th floor, and the seventh floor houses a number of amenities for the hotel: a restaurant, salon, gym, lounge and “sky lobby.” The ground floor has separate entrances for the Nordstroms, the hotel and the residences.

One thing that will not be new is the facade along Broadway, the former BF Goodrich building. Because of a deal struck with the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission in 2009, the old auto building at 225 West 57th can come down, despite the protests of preservationists, but its sibling at 1780 Broadway must remain. A 1920s red brick building, its 12-story facade must be integrated into whatever Mr. Barnett builds. The building will have T-shaped configuration as a result, with section on Broaway, 57th and 58th streets.
I'm so damn happy and excited right now and waiting for those renderings feels similiar to what I felt like as a child while waiting for my christmas presents.

:banana::banana::banana:

hunser Nov 27, 2012 1:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eidolon (Post 5915345)
http://observer.com/2012/11/gary-bar...50-foot-tower/
Gary Barnett’s Biggest Blockbuster Yet: 225 West 57th Street, New York’s First 1,550-Foot Tower

By Matt Chaban 6:00am

I'm so damn happy and excited right now and waiting for those renderings feels similiar to what I felt like as a child while waiting for my christmas presents.

:banana::banana::banana:

An early Christmas present for all (New York) skyscraper fans! :yes:
--------------

So there won't be a spire. I'm not surprised because in NY, mostly office buildings have one.
But anyway, the mechanicals (+ crown?) should bring this over 500m!

Eidolon Nov 27, 2012 1:10 PM

Thread title needs to be changed to 1,550 FT and 88 floors btw. :cheers:

NYguy Nov 27, 2012 1:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eidolon (Post 5915366)
Thread title needs to be changed to 1,550 FT and 88 floors btw. :cheers:

You got it...:tup:

Zapatan Nov 27, 2012 1:27 PM

it should be 1550+ since that's the height of the highest floor :)

NYguy Nov 27, 2012 1:33 PM

Quote:

“There won’t be a spire or anything like that, the floors will go all the way to the top, or almost to the top, with some mechanicals above,” Mr. Barnett said. “This is not a gimmick.”
You gotta love that Barnett. He'll have the highest occupied floors in town yet. It was only a couple of weeks ago that Related was boasting of having that at the Hudson Yards. And it guarantees that Vornado's tower won't block most of the views.