SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

SDfan Jan 27, 2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easy as pie (Post 5989061)
a question: is there a post like the thread opener that has an updated (2013) summary of projects u/c, approved and proposed? i'd love to get a sense of sd's recovery, considering the absolute epic boom in the pre-crash.

This is a great idea, somebody do it! :D

(busy grad student here with no time for that...)

(-passing the buck-)

:runaway:

HurricaneHugo Jan 27, 2013 6:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 5987761)
I don't understand this whole airport debate. The fact that the airport is right next to downtown sucks, period. Who cares if it's "central" and "near the core"? Almost every large city airport is located far from their city's center, and they're all doing just fine.

Seriously.

Who cares if the downtown location is convenient?

I rather deal with an extra 30 minute commute to Miramar/the Desert than to deal with a 5 hour layover at SFO because we can't get a damn direct flight to Paris.

Amazes me that so many people care about the "convenient" location instead of the vast positive economic impact a new airport can do to the region.

HurricaneHugo Jan 27, 2013 6:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 5987090)
In this article you can see the proposed UTC condominium tower in the background of the new UTC trolley station being designed right now.

http://www.sdnews.com/view/full_stor...home_main_ljvn

Looks good.

Well not the tower really but just the development in general.

Reminds me that I haven't been to UTC in a while and the last time construction was barely beginning so it should be much different now...

kpexpress Jan 27, 2013 7:57 AM

I don't think the market could handle 40 story office tower.

SDfan Jan 27, 2013 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5989417)
I don't think the market could handle 40 story office tower.

Agreed. Especially in this environment where everything built is for a specific company/entity. It's just too risky to build without having a lined up lease.

In fact, I think there are a few office towers downtown that could be converted to other uses. Those "B" and "C" class complexes haven't been attractive to tenants for years, pulling them from the market might help spur class "A" development as vacancy rates drop and space is harder to come by.

In the article, the owners of the Sempra building even says he'd be willing to look into converting his tower to hotel or residential use.

kpexpress Jan 27, 2013 8:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 5989624)
Agreed. Especially in this environment where everything built is for a specific company/entity. It's just too risky to build without having a lined up lease.

In fact, I think there are a few office towers downtown that could be converted to other uses. Those "B" and "C" class complexes haven't been attractive to tenants for years, pulling them from the market might help spur class "A" development as vacancy rates drop and space is harder to come by.

In the article, the owners of the Sempra building even says he'd be willing to look into converting his tower to hotel or residential use.

agreed

mello Jan 27, 2013 9:10 PM

Can anyone answer my question of why a taller mixed use tower isn't being considered for that Cosmo site? I mean it is already approved for a 400 plus foot tower why not maximize the site....

SDfan Jan 28, 2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 5989884)
Can anyone answer my question of why a taller mixed use tower isn't being considered for that Cosmo site? I mean it is already approved for a 400 plus foot tower why not maximize the site....

No idea. :(

Derek Jan 28, 2013 12:57 AM

How's the SD condo/apartment market (downtown specifically)?

spoonman Jan 28, 2013 3:21 AM

Does anyone believe Sempra may be interested in 880 W Broadway? They may not need the entire building, but it is a high profile site, and offers a lot of space. I'm not sure how Sempra downsizing to a 15 story building makes sense (assuming floor sq footage is equal), unless they are not currently occupying their entire building. I would think they would move to a building that has room to grow.

S.DviaPhilly Jan 28, 2013 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 5990109)
How's the SD condo/apartment market (downtown specifically)?

Just checked the mls, only 150 condos on the market! There is nada for sale downtown.

Northparkwizard Jan 30, 2013 12:47 AM

Does anyone have any information on the project here in North Park that's on the corner of North Park Way and Grim Ave? I asked some of the construction crew about it and they just said "apartments" It's the old North Park Post Office, I'm sure they're keeping the building because of it's age but I know little more than that. Thanks.

SDfan Jan 30, 2013 3:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 5992770)
Does anyone have any information on the project here in North Park that's on the corner of North Park Way and Grim Ave? I asked some of the construction crew about it and they just said "apartments" It's the old North Park Post Office, I'm sure they're keeping the building because of it's age but I know little more than that. Thanks.

Are they renovating or constructing an addition? I know a lot of former post office sites are being converted, either by the federal government or developers who bought off properties, to new uses. Golden Hill's old post office is being converted into an apartment complex (4 units). Downtown's main post office might get a 17-story apartment tower built on top of it. Its probably a similar project in NP.

SDfan Jan 30, 2013 3:27 AM

Here is the Golden Hill project:

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...fice-becomes-/

Northparkwizard Jan 30, 2013 5:09 AM

SDfan -

As of today they're demoing the parking area and loading docks, probably renovating the existing structure and adding an addition? Probably not unlike the Golden Hill one... just haven't seen any drawings of concepts. Hopefully it won't be another ugly complex like much of the properties surrounding it.

Also, has anyone seen the concept architecture for the new Jonathan Segal project "North Parker" on 30th & Upas? 27 units w/4 ground level restaurant spaces? Lots of interesting things going on in the neighborhood.

Leo the Dog Jan 30, 2013 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5989362)
Seriously.

Who cares if the downtown location is convenient?

I rather deal with an extra 30 minute commute to Miramar/the Desert than to deal with a 5 hour layover at SFO because we can't get a damn direct flight to Paris.

Amazes me that so many people care about the "convenient" location instead of the vast positive economic impact a new airport can do to the region.

I disagree. People here don't realize what they have. We basically have a Boston Logan, or a Laguardia.

If you're willing to drive 30-45 minutes away you may as well just drive another 1.5 hours to LAX for European flights. I imagine the share of San Diegans flying to Paris doesn't justify building a mega airport on the fringe of the metro area.

Derek Jan 30, 2013 7:52 PM

How is Miramar on "the fringe of the metro area"?

It's 20 minutes from downtown, 30 minutes from Chula Vista, 35 minutes from Oceanside, 30 minutes from Escondido. It's literally in the middle of the San Diego metro area.

202_Cyclist Jan 30, 2013 7:54 PM

Solana Beach train station project to return to the table after years of rest

Solana Beach train station project to return to the table after years of rest

By Claire Harlin
Del Mar Times
January 29, 2013

"Solana Beach and local transit officials will be once again focusing their attention on a possible train station project on the 5.7-acre site at Lomas Santa Fe Drive and Cedros Avenue, an effort that was abandoned several years ago after local and regional officials couldn’t come to a consensus on a vision for the site.

The North County Transit District (NCTD), which owns the long corner lot that extends from Lomas Santa Fe north through the 300-space commuter parking lot, is waiting on approval from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) to reappropriate funding for the project. Solana Beach Mayor Mike Nichols said a request for proposal (RFP) could go out as soon as March to solicit potential contractors for design and construction.

Nichols said the NCTD/Train Station Site Ad-Hoc Committee — which includes Nichols, Councilwoman Lesa Heebner and local resident and developer David Winkler — has been holding meetings with NCTD over the past year to hammer out what they want out of the project. He said Solana Beach officials have been told by NCTD that the ad-hoc committee’s development guidelines, in addition to the city-commissioned drawings by architect John Gish that they support, will be included in the RFP guidelines. Both Gish and Winkler are highly respected for their successful design and development of the Del Mar Plaza..."

http://www.delmartimes.net/2013/01/2...years-of-rest/

staplesla Jan 31, 2013 4:27 AM

Waterfront development delayed by Coastal Commission

Click here to see the video about the delay of the Manchester/Navy/Broadway development.

http://www.kusi.com/video?clipId=8275542&autostart=true

staplesla Jan 31, 2013 4:31 AM

Horton Plaza project gets state approval

The state Department of Finance, reversing a previous decision, decided that San Diego can use leftover redevelopment funds to pay for a project at Horton Plaza, City Council President Todd Gloria said Wednesday.

About $14 million in redevelopment funds will be spent to renovate the downtown plaza and raze a building to make room for a 1.3-acre park set to open next year.

http://www.10news.com/news/horton-pl...state-approval