SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Urban Sky Apr 3, 2007 6:05 AM

Opposite view, low quality (sorry) 02-16-2004
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...leyStation.jpg

bmfarley Apr 3, 2007 6:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2739280)
ah, the newer ones are so sleek and shiny:tup:

i have never seen one downtown though (thats in service...ive seen a few out of service, heading for the trainyard...)i mainly see them in Mission Valley out to Santee...

The newer trains cannot come downtown until the station platforms are raised.... 2" They are stuck in Mission Valley until so.

Urban Sky Apr 3, 2007 6:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2739311)
The newer trains cannot come downtown until the station platforms are raised.... 2" They are stuck in Mission Valley until so.

i guess they better get crackin on that C Street project then!

Derek Apr 3, 2007 6:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2739311)

oh, i see...thank you:)

Derek Apr 3, 2007 6:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2739320)
i guess they better get crackin on that C Street project then!

Amen;)

Urban Sky Apr 3, 2007 6:16 AM

hahah, i took this June 2003. Funny....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...uctionSign.jpg

Derek Apr 3, 2007 6:17 AM

wow! how did you dig that up?

Urban Sky Apr 3, 2007 6:19 AM

im looking through some old old photos i took back in the day

bmfarley Apr 3, 2007 6:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2739323)
Amen;)

You know what... the C Street stations also need to be longer too.. for rush hour times. I forgot that.

Like my changed avatar? Trains...gotta luv em.

Btw, on the horizon is the California High Speed Rail Authority's effort to bring high-speed trains to San Diego... like the French TGV. Downtown SD at Santa Fe Depot would be the terminus. Cool huh?

Derek Apr 3, 2007 6:23 AM

^ive been wanting to see high speed trains in Cali for years :tup:

Urban Sky Apr 3, 2007 6:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2739343)
You know what... the C Street stations also need to be longer too.. for rush hour times. I forgot that.

Like my changed avatar? Trains...gotta luv em.

Btw, on the horizon is the California High Speed Rail Authority's effort to bring high-speed trains to San Diego... like the French TGV. Downtown SD at Santa Fe Depot would be the terminus. Cool huh?

ddaaaaang. youre an avatar-changin fiend. i think i had the same avatar for the first 4 years i was on here...i just changed mine last month for the first time.

bmfarley Apr 3, 2007 6:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2739348)
^ive been wanting to see high speed trains in Cali for years :tup:

Well, the news is mixed of late. The CHSRA requested $104m from the upcomming state budget to advance engieeering, more environmental work, and purchasing critical and necessary right of way. The actor-govenor put $1.2m or so in the first version.

I believe some state legislators are wanting more... and may be trying to get the full request honored... but there are competing interests and naysayers.

I read today that some legislators are travelling to France or Tiawan to tour their high speed train systems over the legislative break. Maybe they'll come back with renewed or reinvigorated interest???? We believers can only hope. HSR can reduce demand on Lindbergh Field... I'd think san Diego would want to get behind it!

Derek Apr 3, 2007 6:35 AM

edit. you literally answered my question as i wrote this ;)

bmfarley Apr 3, 2007 6:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2739366)
ddaaaaang. youre an avatar-changin fiend. i think i had the same avatar for the first 4 years i was on here...i just changed mine last month for the first time.

I just figured out how. I mean... I had pictures... but didn't know how to use any programs to get them the rigth size or anything. I just learned a month or so ago and put it to practice.

Urban Sky Apr 3, 2007 6:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2739375)
Well, the news is mixed of late. The CHSRA requested $104m from the upcomming state budget to advance engieeering, more environmental work, and purchasing critical and necessary right of way. The actor-govenor put $1.2m or so in the first version.

I believe some state legislators are wanting more... and may be trying to get the full request honored... but there are competing interests and naysayers.

I read today that some legislators are travelling to France or Tiawan to tour their high speed train systems over the legislative break. Maybe they'll come back with renewed or reinvigorated interest???? We believers can only hope. HSR can reduce demand on Lindbergh Field... I'd think san Diego would want to get behind it!

if they want to move the airport our the the desert, the key is a mega-hub for commuting out there and a bullet train to get everyone there fast.

Derek Apr 3, 2007 6:38 AM

^i hate the idea of having the airport in the desert:(

even with the trains, its just way too far out there...i just wish officials at Miramar were nicer...

bmfarley Apr 3, 2007 6:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2739376)
edit. you literally answered my question as i wrote this ;)

I think the big looming question for San Diego is how will HSR get to Santa Fe Depot??? Existing plans or preferred alignment have it coming down the current rail right of way used by the trolley, Coaster, Amtrak, and freigth traffic... but as an aerial structure. I cannot imagine an aerial structure being appropriate today!

I am kindaamazed that I have seen zero planning or thought of HSR here. I mean San Francisco, Anaheim, Sacramento, and Central Valley towns... they are all discussing it or planning for it. But not much happening here.

Urban Sky Apr 3, 2007 6:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2739381)
^i hate the idea of having the airport in the desert:(

even with the trains, its just way too far out there...i just wish officials at Miramar were nicer...

thats what i am hoping for because i am with you. its just way to far out there. i wouldnt even want to move it if we could just get the height restriction lifted. although, that is some PRIME real estate.

miramar would be choice #1 for me for sure!

Urban Sky Apr 3, 2007 6:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2739391)
I think the big looming question for San Diego is how will HSR get to Santa Fe Depot??? Existing plans or preferred alignment have it coming down the current rail right of way used by the trolley, Coaster, Amtrak, and freigth traffic... but as an aerial structure. I cannot imagine an aerial structure being appropriate today!

I am kindaamazed that I have seen zero planning or thought of HSR here. I mean San Francisco, Anaheim, Sacramento, and Central Valley towns... they are all discussing it or planning for it. But not much happening here.

san diego is kinda behind on mass transit. i guess they think everyone wants to drive everywhere.

Derek Apr 3, 2007 6:45 AM

uber-prime...and imagine a wrap-around skyline :drooling: