SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great SSP Canada Cancel Culture & Wokeism Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245019)

Acajack Dec 2, 2020 12:48 AM

The Great SSP Canada Cancel Culture & Wokeism Thread

Discuss!

lio45 Dec 2, 2020 12:54 AM

"Help, you're being repressed / cancelled"...? :)

CivicBlues Dec 2, 2020 12:55 AM

Christ this is getting tiresome. You guys need a life outside of SSP.

Dengler Avenue Dec 2, 2020 12:59 AM

Nah, let the Quebecois talk.
Je sais que la vue Québécoise est assez différente que celle anglophone. En fait, je suis même d'accord avec la première.

rousseau Dec 2, 2020 2:03 AM

This oughta get the ball rolling:

Quote:

The Unbearable Wokeness Of Being In Stratford

You can’t attend a performance anymore without first being hectored by a shopworn recording that acknowledges the Huron-Wendat, the Haudenosaunee and the Anishinaabe as the original stewards of the land on which the theatres are built. The Festival Theatre’s Executive Director has stated in the local newspaper that “land acknowledgements” are a traditional practise at Indigenous formal gatherings, justifying constant replication in the spirit of being “welcoming” and “inclusive.” Never mind that standard historical works concluded that the dense forests in this area were never occupied territories before Europeans cleared the trees and plowed the fields. There is no evidence they were even Indigenous hunting grounds.

More important, it is difficult to see how today’s remnants of the Huron-Wendat would feel welcomed by a recognition of Haudenosaunee presence in the territory, having been massacred and driven out of southwestern Ontario by them in the 1600s. Nor is it likely that the Haudenosaunee traditionally practised land acknowledgements in favour of the Huron-Wendat who preceded them. The Anishinaabe felt no need to consult with or acknowledge the claims of either people before signing treaties acknowledging British title to the land that was to become Perth County in the early 1800s.

https://c2cjournal.ca/2020/11/the-un...-in-stratford/

rousseau Dec 2, 2020 2:08 AM

By the way, some posters seem to want to insist that woketarianism is a "minor distraction," nothing more than arcane academic minutiae irrelevant to day-to-day life. That was probably true up until ten years ago, but not these days.

O-tacular Dec 2, 2020 2:29 AM

All the usual crowd of complainers in here I see.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...f5_zod_400.jpg

Acajack Dec 2, 2020 2:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lio45 (Post 9122288)
"Help, you're being repressed / cancelled"...? :)

Call it a "pre-emptive strike"!

Acajack Dec 2, 2020 2:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 9122349)

You're being a baaaaaaaaaad boy, Rousseau.

Breaking the social contract, I might say. ;)

MonctonRad Dec 2, 2020 2:48 AM

Just dropping in to acknowledge that AFAIK, I am the person who actually coined the term "woketarianism."

If somebody has seen this term used elsewhere before the last few weeks, let me know, and I will retract this assertion.

I like the term "woketarianism" because it reminds me of Presbyterianism, a protestant Christian church, founded in Scotland, renowned for it's strict ideology and lack of humour. Woketarianism reminds me of Presbyterianism in this regard......... :yes: :haha: :yes:

Acajack Dec 2, 2020 2:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 9122385)
Just dropping in to acknowledge that AFAIK, I am the person who actually coined the term "woketarianism."

If somebody has seen this term used elsewhere before the last few weeks, let me know, and I will retract this assertion.

I like the term "woketarianism" because it reminds me of Presbyterianism, a protestant Christian church, founded in Scotland, renowned for it's strict ideology and lack of humour. Woketarianism reminds me of Presbyterianism in this regard......... :yes: :haha: :yes:

If you can find a way to get royalties paid to you for that, you should.

Gat-Train Dec 2, 2020 3:51 AM

Quote:

It's pretty dumb, considering the Natives were killing each other and stealing land from one another long before Europeans arrived.

VANRIDERFAN Dec 2, 2020 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 9122385)

The Wokests are the Puritans of the 21st century.

http://www.lymehistorywalks.com/reso...20Cromwell.jpg
(Cromwell was likely even worse than the most fanatic Puritan)

Mister F Dec 2, 2020 4:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicBlues (Post 9122289)
Christ this is getting tiresome. You guys need a life outside of SSP.

Oh, let the alt-righters have their safe space. It's a scary world out there for delicate male egos, don't you know!

scryer Dec 2, 2020 5:28 AM

(Where's the popcorn emoji again?)

This is gonna get good and all I'm gonna do is watch :P.

O-tacular Dec 2, 2020 6:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scryer (Post 9122502)
(Where's the popcorn emoji again?)

This is gonna get good and all I'm gonna do is watch :P.

Agreed :haha:. Though I’m not sure I’ll be able to resist engaging.

Loco101 Dec 2, 2020 7:00 AM

I am very disappointed that we don't have our preferred pronouns below our names!!!

Pavlov Dec 2, 2020 1:45 PM

Quote:

Oh no! We've identified a gesture of good will, acknowledgment and respect that might not be exactly historically or legally accurate (note: unsurprisingly, these acknowledgments are not intended to be and do not profess to be exactly historically or legally accurate as such things are incredibly complex)! Those dastardly woketarians are up to no good again! They're wasting my precious 30 seconds of time (or something?)! I demand satisfaction!

Good grief.

niwell Dec 2, 2020 1:45 PM

"Woketarianism" may be the dumbest term I've ever come across, and if I heard it in person there would be a very un-woke response.

Acajack Dec 2, 2020 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavlov (Post 9122589)
Oh no! We've identified a gesture of good will, acknowledgment and respect that might not be exactly historically or legally accurate (note: unsurprisingly, these acknowledgments are not intended to be and do not profess to be exactly historically or legally accurate as such things are incredibly complex)! Those dastardly woketarians are up to no good again! They're wasting my precious 30 seconds of time (or something?)! I demand satisfaction!

Good grief.

Anyone sensible though would have to admit that it's a bit absurd.

It's a textbook case of trying too hard to prove a "point".