SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Downtown & City of Portland (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Albina Vision / Rose Quarter Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152548)

urbanlife Oct 28, 2013 1:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davehogan (Post 6317703)
If the Winterhawks attract 10,000 people per home game (that was near their average last season), that's 360,000 people a year to start with, and doesn't count preseason or post season. Some of those are played at the Rose Garden, but that's still a significant number of people just for one team.

I actually enjoy going to Winterhawks games at the MC, it is a great building for Hockey. Though it could use some renovations and improvements.

Eugenepdx Oct 28, 2013 5:06 AM

Quote:

If the Winterhawks attract 10,000 people per home game (that was near their average last season), that's 360,000 people a year to start with, and doesn't count preseason or post season. Some of those are played at the Rose Garden, but that's still a significant number of people just for one team.

Sorry but the winter hawks averaged about 6,500 people annually. That's only about 250,000 a year and attendance has stayed flat for the past 5 years.
I'm not sure where your getting your facts from.

2oh1 Oct 28, 2013 5:57 AM

Quote:

If the Winterhawks attract 10,000 people per home game (that was near their average last season).

BZZZZZZZZZZT. Incorrect. The Winterhawks didn't even average 10,000 per game during the playoffs. In fact, their average - during the playoffs - was 9,261/game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugenepdx (Post 6317918)
Sorry but the winter hawks averaged about 6,500 people annually. That's only about 250,000 a year and attendance has stayed flat for the past 5 years.
I'm not sure where your getting your facts from.

Probably from Brian Libby, whose articles on the MC are ridiculously one-sided, regardless of whether or not facts support what he writes. His site has some excellent content, but he can also be the architecture version of Fox News. I had to stop reading his site a while ago.

PDX City-State Oct 31, 2013 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cab (Post 6315565)
When the architecture community makes the case to save this building, it somehow became the cities problem to figure out a business venture? This is the problem. Fine, its an architecture jewel decreed by the architects, let them find a business model that is profitable. Instead they force the hand of the city and hand them a white elephant with a built in excuse when it fails. Oh it was the clusterfucky bureaucracy that did it in. BS, it was the private architect firms that didn't have a workable business plan other than "its a beautiful glass jewel box, save it" They didn't find any private partners or business that made sense, did they?. I'm so tired of the government blame game. No private entity has stepped up to save this beast. If you are going force the hand of government to save it, than deal with the public process.

This is 100 percent right on. We're not talking about saving a building like the Cornelius that, if fixed, could have many uses--office, retail, housing, hotel... We're talking about a 50 year old coliseum for which the city has explored a variety of different uses for as long as I've lived here--now going on 11 years. It, along with the Portland Public Market, wins the Lack of Momentum and Future Award.

2oh1 Oct 31, 2013 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDX City-State (Post 6322257)
This is 100 percent right on. We're not talking about saving a building like the Cornelius that, if fixed, could have many uses--office, retail, housing, hotel... We're talking about a 50 year old coliseum for which the city has explored a variety of different uses for as long as I've lived here--now going on 11 years.

Exactly this. The irony here is that the Cornelius is being torn down due to the cost of renovation. Meanwhile, the MC is being kept despite the cost of renovation and despite the fact that the city loses money on it and despite the fact that there isn't even a plan for what to do with it. In fact, a lot of money, resources and time have already been poured into figuring out what to do with the MC - all for nothing, as nothing has been decided and nothing has been done.

scleeb Nov 5, 2013 2:39 PM

Well, it looks like Portland isn't the only city dealing with an iconic structure in need of a new purpose: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...oters-20785297

If Houston can pull off an re imagining of the Astrodome, I have hope for the Coliseum. I think Portland needs to think beyond an arena. I would be in favor of keeping the glass exterior, gutting the interioir, and establishing a year-round open-air market... A "Saturday Market on Steroids" if you will...

2oh1 Nov 7, 2013 1:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scleeb (Post 6327512)
Well, it looks like Portland isn't the only city dealing with an iconic structure in need of a new purpose: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...oters-20785297

If Houston can pull off an re imagining of the Astrodome, I have hope for the Coliseum. I think Portland needs to think beyond an arena. I would be in favor of keeping the glass exterior, gutting the interioir, and establishing a year-round open-air market... A "Saturday Market on Steroids" if you will...

Yesterday, Houston voters voted against the effort to save the Astrodome.

Quote:

After Texas voters on Tuesday rejected a referendum that would have authorized up to $217 million in bonds to turn the Astrodome into a giant convention and event center, the stadium is likely to be demolished.
So much for that.

scleeb Nov 7, 2013 2:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2oh1 (Post 6329899)
Yesterday, Houston voters voted against the effort to save the Astrodome.

So much for that.

I just read that the Astrodome has been nominated to the National Register of Historic Places. The Texas Historical Commission held a hearing on October 19 and the nomination was heard by the Sate Board of Review. So, once the Feds sign off, it's a done deal.

So... if the Astrodome gets listed, will it still be demolished? If yes, that may mean the Historical Registration is not the "silver bullet" everyone thinks it is...

MarkDaMan Nov 7, 2013 4:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scleeb (Post 6329950)
I just read that the Astrodome has been nominated to the National Register of Historic Places. The Texas Historical Commission held a hearing on October 19 and the nomination was heard by the Sate Board of Review. So, once the Feds sign off, it's a done deal.

So... if the Astrodome gets listed, will it still be demolished? If yes, that may mean the Historical Registration is not the "silver bullet" everyone thinks it is...

I'm not completely sure, but I believe being listed on the National Register of Historic Places only 'encourages' the preservation and restoration of the property, not an actual mandate to do so. I think each city or county devises their own rules on how to handle historical places.

maccoinnich Jul 22, 2014 5:41 AM

Interesting that Cordish even have a representative in Portland to meet with the mayor. Personally I think anything that could bring life to the Rose Quarter is a good thing, even if it's filled with Olive Gardens and Hard Rock Cafes.

Quote:

Portland Mayor Charlie Hales takes meeting with developer that proposed 'terrible' JumpTown district

http://imgick.oregonlive.com/home/ol...816-mmmain.jpg

The last word that many Portlanders may remember about The Cordish Companies wasn't flattering.

"Terrible."

That's what then-Mayor Sam Adams had to say about early drawings for a proposed Rose Quarter entertainment district from the Trail Blazers and Baltimore-based Cordish.

"The most un-Portland-like, significantly un-Portland like, renderings of what it would be," Adams said of the so-called JumpTown proposal in 2010.

On that note, guess who is back in town?

Portland Mayor Charlie Hales had a one-hour "check in" with Cordish representatives last Thursday.

Asked about the purpose of the meeting, Dana Haynes, a spokesman for Hales, said this in an email:

"I'm told it was an introductory meeting with a company the mayor didn't know much about," Haynes said. "Meet-and-greet."
...continues at the Oregonian.

Derek Jul 22, 2014 6:24 AM

I've never seen that rendering before. Who cares if it's "un-Portland like". I think it looks awesome. :haha:

It's good to see Hales at least meeting with that company again.

maccoinnich Sep 4, 2014 6:05 AM

Didn't even realize this was happening. Guess I'm not much of a sportsfan.

Quote:

How the Moda Center will look after its $16M refurbishment (Renderings)

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/3606361/bunk.png

Alli Pyrah

Refurbished seats, new restaurants featuring local food, renovated private suites and a new bar featuring panoramic views of downtown Portland are just some of the improvements that Trail Blazers fans will see when the new basketball season starts next month.

Work is almost complete on the $16 million-worth of improvements that the Trail Blazers and Rip City Management announced back in March. The team expects all work to be finished by the time the new season starts on October 28.

Real Estate Inc. visited the stadium this afternoon for a media tour with some of the team's management executives and Joshua Peterson of GBD Architects, the firm that designed the upgrades. On Friday, we will publish an interview with Peterson about some of the challenges the architects faced, including structural surprises, circus animals and maintaining a stable temperature in a room surrounded by glass.

...continues at Portland Business Journal.

maccoinnich Sep 26, 2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Portland to study options for Veterans Memorial Coliseum, including demolition

http://imgick.oregonlive.com/home/ol...b9764ec8ce.jpg

Two years after the planned renovation of Veterans Memorial Coliseum fell apart, Portland officials are still trying to figure out how to salvage the city's aging sports venue.

The options:
  • renovate or remodel the 54-year-old glass box
  • continue operations as-is
  • close it down
  • or – most dramatically – demolish it for future redevelopment of the broader Rose Quarter

On Wednesday, the Portland City Council will be asked to approve a $125,165 contract for construction management services, in conjunction with related contracts with other companies for architecture work and financial analysis of the coliseum.
...continues at the Oregonian.

RainDog Sep 28, 2014 12:03 AM

I hope they decide to tear it down. I see nothing redeeming in this building. Even if they tore it down just to build another sports arena, they could at least design it to be less of an eyesore and maybe even make it interact with the street instead of just seeming like an impenetrable fortress.

Tykendo Sep 28, 2014 1:06 AM

Uh oh! Now you did it RainDog. You just upset all the folks that think the MC is the Taj Mahal. I like some of the early renderings. Looks like it could be a happenin' kind of place. Ball, Chicks, and lotz of micro brew.

hat Sep 28, 2014 3:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainDog (Post 6746355)
I hope they decide to tear it down. I see nothing redeeming in this building. Even if they tore it down just to build another sports arena, they could at least design it to be less of an eyesore and maybe even make it interact with the street instead of just seeming like an impenetrable fortress.

While I have fond memories of watching the Blazers and Winterhawks with my gramps at the VMC, I would prefer it gone. The Rose Garden, and may it ever be named so, works fine for our teams. We need a venue like the schnitz or Hollywood on the East side nr Lloyd, a cultural desert at the moment.

PDX City-State Sep 28, 2014 5:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hat (Post 6746481)
While I have fond memories of watching the Blazers and Winterhawks with my gramps at the VMC, I would prefer it gone. The Rose Garden, and may it ever be named so, works fine for our teams. We need a venue like the schnitz or Hollywood on the East side nr Lloyd, a cultural desert at the moment.

I agree. It would be much better as a neighborhood. Plus, it's not that great of a building. Most of the arguments to keep it are textbook--that it's a great building because of the era it represents. Truth is, most Portlanders would never miss it. Build a neighborhood that connects to the river--such a better use of space than an old coliseum.

mcbaby Sep 28, 2014 11:46 PM

I recall an idea to turn it into a sports medicine and aquatics center with Olympic sized saltwater swimming pools. Does anyone recall that idea?

maccoinnich Sep 29, 2014 12:36 AM

Well, I'm going to be the lone voice here defending it. It is a building highly representative of its era, and designed by one of the most important architectural practices of the 20th Century. I find the description of it as a "fortress" kind of strange given the obvious comparison to the Moda Center, which is a 1000x more fortress. And it's not like the continued existence of the building is holding up any other realistic plans. If we need to make room for new buildings in the Rose Quarter, lets look at burying those hideous parking garage first.

Now I am a card carrying member of Docomomo, so it's obvious I have a love for an era in architecture not always so loved by the general public. However I would be equally aghast at the demolition of the Multnomah County Courthouse or the Hotel Cornelius, two other historic Portland buildings with uncertain fates. I don't think we should be so flippant about throwing our built heritage away.

urbanlife Sep 29, 2014 3:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccoinnich (Post 6747125)
Well, I'm going to be the lone voice here defending it. It is a building highly representative of its era, and designed by one of the most important architectural practices of the 20th Century. I find the description of it as a "fortress" kind of strange given the obvious comparison to the Moda Center, which is a 1000x more fortress. And it's not like the continued existence of the building is holding up any other realistic plans. If we need to make room for new buildings in the Rose Quarter, lets look at burying those hideous parking garage first.

Now I am a card carrying member of Docomomo, so it's obvious I have a love for an era in architecture not always so loved by the general public. However I would be equally aghast at the demolition of the Multnomah County Courthouse or the Hotel Cornelius, two other historic Portland buildings with uncertain fates. I don't think we should be so flippant about throwing our built heritage away.

I have to agree with you about the Coliseum, it is a functional building that can still be used, plus having two arenas downtown does give us a chance to put on events that would require the need for more space.

Granted I personally love watching Winterhawk games at the Coliseum over going to hockey games at the Moda due to the size of that arena for a minor league sport.

Of course on a side note, I agree with you about Hotel Cornelius, the building I have always fantasized about turning into a boutique hotel or a condo building. The courthouse building on the other hand I want to see the exterior preserved and a tower to be built within the building.