SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   BC Highway Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=187593)

Dengler Avenue Nov 9, 2018 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craner (Post 8374460)
Isn't the 90km speed limit a Parks Canada thing ?

Oh well enforcement’s more lax on the BC side. :haha: ;) :P
The speeding fine for 30 kph over in BC is probably around the same amount as that for 10 kph over in AB.

lubicon Nov 13, 2018 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 240glt (Post 8374475)
^ At least it's not 70 in large stretches like it is through Jasper park :hell:

It's been nearly 30 years since I've driven through Jasper but where on earth is the speed limit 70? That's absurd.

240glt Nov 14, 2018 3:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubicon (Post 8377910)
It's been nearly 30 years since I've driven through Jasper but where on earth is the speed limit 70? That's absurd.

Wildlife zones. There's several stretches that it drops to 70. They can't be bothered to mitigate wildlife going on the road through Jasper for some reason. In those zones is where you see lots of idiots literally parking on the highway, letting their kids run around in traffic while they take pictures of the sheep. I hate driving though Jasper, especially in the summer months

Dengler Avenue Nov 15, 2018 4:43 AM

No Truck on Left Lane in the Snowhill Area on Coquihalla Highway
 
https://globalnews.ca/news/4663457/p...-in-left-lane/

Mishpet1 Nov 16, 2018 4:03 AM

Hi guys, just found this story on the completion of two sections of highway in the Prince George area.

https://ckpgtoday.ca/article/545331/...jects-complete

Dengler Avenue Nov 16, 2018 5:03 AM

Only 3 km of twinning on 97 and the ministry of transportation bragged???

OzzyCalgary Nov 16, 2018 4:50 PM

A new 5-km corridor in Prince Rupert received $15 million in funding from the government last week. This road will connect Ridley Island with the container port, moving heavy truck traffic from downtown Rupert and shortening the route by 15km.




https://www.rupertport.com/news/rele...ure_investment

Denscity Nov 16, 2018 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue (Post 8381279)
Only 3 km of twinning on 97 and the ministry of transportation bragged???

Divided highway up the side of a mountain beside a river with a rerouted CN line sounds a bit complicated.

flipper316 Nov 17, 2018 5:25 AM

https://globalnews.ca/news/4671808/n...-sicamous-b-c/

I wonder if it'kk come with interchanges. Probably not.

jimmyboy95 Nov 19, 2018 5:12 AM

The 28 highway maintenance contracts in BC are all up for review. The contracts are all being updated with higher standards required from each contractor. Their new standards include: better communication with the public, more frequent patrols during weather events and higher standards for plowing. Some of the previous contractors have been renewed but some are being replaced:

-Mid and North Island: Mainroad is taking over from Emcon on both contracts. The whole Vancouver Island is now under Mainroad's responsibility
-Howe Sound: Miller Maintenance taking over from Mainroad
-Okanagan Similkameen: Acciona International taking over from Argo. This is a Spanish multinational company who has never had a contract for highway maintenance in BC
-Okanagan Shuswap: Acciona International taking over from JPW
-Kootenay Boundary: Yellowhead Road and Bridge taking over from Emcon

The remainder of the contracts are either yet to be reviewed or have been renewed with the same contractor as before. I would really like to see VSA lose their Coquihalla/Nicola contract as there have been countless complaints about them.

craner Nov 21, 2018 8:19 AM

Sicamous Bridge
 
$224M seems like a lot - what makes it so expesive ?

240glt Nov 21, 2018 3:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craner (Post 8386031)
$224M seems like a lot - what makes it so expesive ?

I know they're doing some other work on the west side of the bridge. I think they're making it taller as well. But yeah seems expensive.

Dengler Avenue Nov 21, 2018 4:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craner (Post 8386031)
$224M seems like a lot - what makes it so expesive ?

Unionized wage duh

Just watch: you all are again gonna pay more for less.

Corndogger Nov 21, 2018 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue (Post 8386252)
Unionized wage duh

Just watch: you all are again gonna pay more for less.

You're probably right. No way should that project cost anywhere near $224.5 million.

DoubleK Nov 21, 2018 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyboy95 (Post 8383634)
The 28 highway maintenance contracts in BC are all up for review. The contracts are all being updated with higher standards required from each contractor. Their new standards include: better communication with the public, more frequent patrols during weather events and higher standards for plowing. Some of the previous contractors have been renewed but some are being replaced:

-Mid and North Island: Mainroad is taking over from Emcon on both contracts. The whole Vancouver Island is now under Mainroad's responsibility
-Howe Sound: Miller Maintenance taking over from Mainroad
-Okanagan Similkameen: Acciona International taking over from Argo. This is a Spanish multinational company who has never had a contract for highway maintenance in BC
-Okanagan Shuswap: Acciona International taking over from JPW
-Kootenay Boundary: Yellowhead Road and Bridge taking over from Emcon

The remainder of the contracts are either yet to be reviewed or have been renewed with the same contractor as before. I would really like to see VSA lose their Coquihalla/Nicola contract as there have been countless complaints about them.

They were one of the partners that did the Southeast Stony Trail project in Calgary.

craner Nov 22, 2018 5:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue (Post 8386252)
Unionized wage duh

Just watch: you all are again gonna pay more for less.

Oh NDP :facepalm:

Metro-One Nov 22, 2018 6:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corndogger (Post 8386334)
You're probably right. No way should that project cost anywhere near $224.5 million.

It won’t even have an interchange for the town’s main access...

I am okay with the protected T intersections for seldomly used access points in the boonies (such as those that service only a few scattered houses / cabins and small mountain access roads) but all major intersections (such as those that access entire communities) should be built as interchanges with all highway upgrade projects. If Pritchard was built as an interchange and Chase is getting two interchanges than so should this project.

Also, what ever happened to Kicking Horse phase 5B? That was going to upgrade the access points to Golden as interchanges.

240glt Nov 22, 2018 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 8387258)
It won’t even have an interchange for the town’s main access...

I am okay with the protected T intersections for seldomly used access points in the boonies (such as those that service only a few scattered houses / cabins and small mountain access roads) but all major intersections (such as those that access entire communities) should be built as interchanges with all highway upgrade projects. If Pritchard was built as an interchange and Chase is getting two interchanges than so should this project.

Also, what ever happened to Kicking Horse phase 5B? That was going to upgrade the access points to Golden as interchanges.

I think the difference between the intersections at Prichard and Chase and the intersection at Sicamous is that through the former the speed limit is 90 or 100 kph, whereas at the 97 turnoff in Sicamous the speed limit is 50. I've never really seen the intersection there backed up too badly so not sure if an interchange is really necessary.

Dengler Avenue Nov 22, 2018 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 240glt (Post 8387494)
I think the difference between the intersections at Prichard and Chase and the intersection at Sicamous is that through the former the speed limit is 90 or 100 kph, whereas at the 97 turnoff in Sicamous the speed limit is 50. I've never really seen the intersection there backed up too badly so not sure if an interchange is really necessary.

I heard that intersection gets backed up really badly during summer though...

240glt Nov 22, 2018 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue (Post 8387537)
I heard that intersection gets backed up really badly during summer though...

Perhaps it does in the peak of summer.. It never seemed too bad when I drove it regularly from Calgary but since '04 I've been in Edmonton so I take 16/5 to get to the Okanagan now. I know the tourist traffic from Alberta keeps going up every year, so maybe it is at a point where a flyover is needed to go south on 97 from westbound on the TCH


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.