SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   [Halifax] Queen's Marque | 30 m | 10 fl | U/C (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=145372)

eastcoastal May 24, 2019 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluenoser (Post 8583059)

Interesting horizontal groove in that metal cladding - looks like maybe some lighting will be hidden within?

OldDartmouthMark May 24, 2019 6:37 PM

By the rendering, it looks like there will be a thin strip of accent lighting approximately at that level.

https://i.imgur.com/M99VehV.jpg

RoshanMcG May 24, 2019 6:52 PM

http://i.imgur.com/nKSn3CSh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yzExUBPh.jpg

OldDartmouthMark May 27, 2019 5:36 PM

https://i.imgur.com/9D9M2u3.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/TZXBpJc.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/2qSS1Ky.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/Lzk3JyK.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/4WXLJBa.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/rmx1Iia.jpg?1

It's interesting how the Dominion Building reflects in the glass - it's a pretty good mirror image...
https://i.imgur.com/5Lo0Ha2.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/8jXMJ9e.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/0uKv384.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/vTaW4gM.jpg?1

Keith P. May 27, 2019 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark (Post 8585787)

These two images show the looming visual effect I had been concerned about regarding Water St. The street looks to be choked off. That stretch will really be a dark, narrow channel.

As a side note, one wonders why the Maritime Museum hasn't bothered to change their March Break sign. We are almost into June. Close enough for government work I suppose. :uhh:

OldDartmouthMark May 27, 2019 9:48 PM

Actually, I was considering your comments when I was walking through, trying to get a feel for it.

And actually, when on the sidewalk, I was not left with the impression of it being tight or claustrophobic as such. I think the fact that some of the features slope back as height increases eases that closed-in feeling. I was left with the impression that this will be a nice addition when finished.

I did notice that all the glass has a bluish hue to it (exaggerated by the rare blue-sky reflection), whereas in the rendering it seemed to take on a copper hue...

https://i.imgur.com/M99VehV.jpg

I'm assuming it was a conscious design change for some reason?

someone123 May 27, 2019 10:55 PM

My impression was that they would add a copper screen over the glass cladding.

Buildings "loom" more when they're under construction when they're complete. But also I don't think it's bad for Lower Water to feel hemmed in since the waterfront is a block away. Most of Lower Water suffers from being too open and poorly defined due to empty lots and building setbacks.

OldDartmouthMark May 28, 2019 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 8586138)
My impression was that they would add a copper screen over the glass cladding.

Buildings "loom" more when they're under construction when they're complete. But also I don't think it's bad for Lower Water to feel hemmed in since the waterfront is a block away. Most of Lower Water suffers from being too open and poorly defined due to empty lots and building setbacks.

Oh yes, I should have looked at the rendering more carefully. That does look like copper screening. Thanks!

Colin May May 28, 2019 12:56 AM

When the bike lane is put in Lower Water drivers will not be able to turn left at Prince and will be trapped in busy periods i.e. most of the time.

Keith P. May 28, 2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin May (Post 8586258)
When the bike lane is put in Lower Water drivers will not be able to turn left at Prince and will be trapped in busy periods i.e. most of the time.

Well, of course. HRM is doing whatever they can to make driving downtown sheer hell. I'm sure the bikes and the container truck 18-wheelers will coexist perfectly.

IanWatson May 28, 2019 12:27 PM

Yeah, I personally find that the photos exaggerate the looming effect. It's quite comfortable in person, and will get better when they remove the hoarding and widen the road back up.

RoshanMcG Jun 9, 2019 6:33 PM

http://i.imgur.com/1jHKqCuh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/K1KbjpRh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TgrwQ97h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TC7bc49h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZXVLhlvh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SZKJWlMh.jpg

TheGreenBastard Jun 10, 2019 10:20 PM


Wow, that last photo really shows how stubby our buildings are. Jesus

Colin May Jun 11, 2019 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard (Post 8601234)
Wow, that last photo really shows how stubby our buildings are. Jesus

Yeah, the developer must be crazy to not risk losing the business by going up 20 storeys.

Keith P. Jun 11, 2019 12:51 AM

I'm still not sold on this design. And I'm still anxiously awaiting the Muntz Metal.

mleblanc Jun 11, 2019 1:06 AM

I think it looks great so far. Exactly the high quality I expected from MacKay-Lyons. Makes Murphys next door look like an absolute relic though, would love to see the Law Courts/Cable Warf be redeveloped at some point, maybe they can lease it out to include a new ferry terminal.

someone123 Jun 11, 2019 1:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mleblanc (Post 8601404)
I think it looks great so far. Exactly the high quality I expected from MacKay-Lyons. Makes Murphys next door look like an absolute relic though, would love to see the Law Courts/Cable Warf be redeveloped at some point, maybe they can lease it out to include a new ferry terminal.

It is not done yet but my impression of the Queen's Marque design is that it's something fairly different from what is being built in most Canadian cities. I like that it's not yet another airy glass tower (or something that looks glass in renderings and then turns out to be half opaque spandrel).

I think the public space component will be pretty significant too. There will be a decent concentration of interesting stuff to do from about the casino to Sackville Landing, even if the Law Courts portion is kind of ugly. Maybe more than any other similar stretch of waterfront in the country.

Keith P. Jun 11, 2019 10:08 AM

I don't think anyone would shed a tear if the Law Courts were demolished and relocated elsewhere. The only good thing about it is that it provides a small amount of parking.

Haliguy Jun 11, 2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin May (Post 8601342)
Yeah, the developer must be crazy to not risk losing the business by going up 20 storeys.

It's a bit the angle of the photo too.

eastcoastal Jun 11, 2019 2:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard (Post 8601234)
Wow, that last photo really shows how stubby our buildings are. Jesus

The photo is taken from the seabridge - so very low. The Queen's Marque hides a significant portion of the background buildings lending to the stubby feel you're noting. It's not so pronounced in person.

OldDartmouthMark Jun 12, 2019 2:26 PM

I actually think it's a nice looking project when seen in person. Even though it's still in construction phase, it appears that it will fit really well with its surroundings. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

jonny golden Jun 14, 2019 2:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark (Post 8602980)
I actually think it's a nice looking project when seen in person. Even though it's still in construction phase, it appears that it will fit really well with its surroundings. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Being in Moncton I haven't been following this development. When is it scheduled to be finished?

OldDartmouthMark Jun 14, 2019 2:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny golden (Post 8605060)
Being in Moncton I haven't been following this development. When is it scheduled to be finished?

According to this article, the planned completion is December 2020.

Quote:

Queen’s Marque is to be completed in December of 2020.

someone123 Jun 14, 2019 8:02 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D84JYWWXoAA9Mu5.jpg:large
Source

jonny golden Jun 19, 2019 2:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark (Post 8605375)
According to this article, the planned completion is December 2020.

Thanks. Will they be removing that wooden walking bridge when construction is finished?

OldDartmouthMark Jun 19, 2019 2:56 PM

I believe so, the floating sea bridge was installed because the waterfront boardwalk was blocked off for construction, so they installed this as a way around it.

I could see them keeping it there, or moving it to another part of the waterfront, if it became a tourist attraction on its own, but as far as I have heard it will be removed when construction is finished.

However...
More than a million people have walked on the water as Halifax sea bridge becomes tourist attraction

FWIW, I was on it last night with some work associates visiting from Toronto, because they had heard about it and specifically wanted to see it in person...

hollistreet Jun 19, 2019 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny golden (Post 8609779)
Thanks. Will they be removing that wooden walking bridge when construction is finished?

My understanding is it will be used to add to the floating dock system for more pleasure craft.

jonny golden Jun 20, 2019 8:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollistreet (Post 8610044)
My understanding is it will be used to add to the floating dock system for more pleasure craft.

Queen's Marque would be a great place to live!

teddifax Jun 21, 2019 2:03 AM

There are at least 2 more developments on the harbour, aren't there... it would be used again for them. I do agree though, it is a tourist attraction.

q12 Jul 5, 2019 11:25 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-pGm6NXkAA4bFK.jpg
https://twitter.com/builtbybird/stat...06697874403329

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-pGm6OWsAA9cJ-.jpg
https://twitter.com/builtbybird/stat...06697874403329

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-pGm6NXUAAHcLs.jpg
https://twitter.com/builtbybird/stat...06697874403329

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-pGm6OX4AAs61l.jpg
https://twitter.com/builtbybird/stat...06697874403329

MonctonRad Jul 5, 2019 12:04 PM

:previous:

I find this building very intriguing, certainly like nothing else on the waterfront in Halifax. I like it though.

I wonder if the absence of balconies will affect it's desirability? Aside from that, if I were to consider a move back to Halifax in retirement, I might consider this building.

How much will the units be going for?

Jstaleness Jul 5, 2019 12:08 PM

When I was down there for Ribfest last Friday I couldn't help but notice how close the lower level and wharf were to the current sea level. I know this was taken into account by the developer, but man if we so much as get a weak hurricane this fall I see no reason why water wouldn't overtop most of it.

terrynorthend Jul 5, 2019 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 8624323)
:previous:

I find this building very intriguing, certainly like nothing else on the waterfront in Halifax. I like it though.

I wonder if the absence of balconies will affect it's desirability? Aside from that, if I were to consider a move back to Halifax in retirement, I might consider this building.

How much will the units be going for?

A colleague had a meeting the other day to check the place out. Tons of amenities, a huge resident's only private terrace to make up for the lack of balconies.

Units are leased, not condo, ranging from 2-6K month depending on size and view.

q12 Sep 9, 2019 12:54 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EEBaiHzW...jpg&name=large

https://twitter.com/jmweb/status/1171035474447781889

OldDartmouthMark Sep 9, 2019 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstaleness (Post 8624325)
When I was down there for Ribfest last Friday I couldn't help but notice how close the lower level and wharf were to the current sea level. I know this was taken into account by the developer, but man if we so much as get a weak hurricane this fall I see no reason why water wouldn't overtop most of it.

Has anybody heard of any issues caused by Hurricane Dorian? I've seen videos where portions of the waterfront were submerged by storm surge and waves, along with some boardwalk damage. I was wondering if there would be any impact to Queen's Marque.

Keith P. Sep 9, 2019 8:29 PM

From that angle it looks like an extension of the Dominion Public Building.

Keith P. Sep 9, 2019 8:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark (Post 8681883)
Has anybody heard of any issues caused by Hurricane Dorian? I've seen videos where portions of the waterfront were submerged by storm surge and waves, along with some boardwalk damage. I was wondering if there would be any impact to Queen's Marque.

Images from user Paul Blackmore on FB:

http://i1.imgrr.com/10C/8902_saltys1.jpg
http://i1.imgrr.com/10C/7653_saltys2.jpg

OldDartmouthMark Sep 9, 2019 8:58 PM

Wow!!

Keith P. Sep 11, 2019 1:20 AM

Here's another shot I stumbled upon of the tug wharf during the storm:

http://i1.imgrr.com/10C/3013_tugwharf.jpg

IanWatson Sep 17, 2019 4:39 PM

So I was just walking by and saw that there are a few pieces of perforated metal screen up on the Lower Water Street side. However, they are very... silver. Definitely not red/copper/Muntz metal. Does anyone know what's up with this?

Maybe that location is silver accents? Or maybe there's another layer to go on? Or maybe they need to be sprayed with something to get a chemical change? Or maybe the colour comes with age? I sure hope they haven't swapped out the planned material.

Jstaleness Sep 17, 2019 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 8683615)
Here's another shot I stumbled upon of the tug wharf during the storm:

http://i1.imgrr.com/10C/3013_tugwharf.jpg

Halifax got very lucky that Dorian's biggest surge didn't coincide with high tide. Imagine the ocean 2-3 more feet from where it reached in this image.

MonctonRad Sep 17, 2019 5:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstaleness (Post 8689837)
Halifax got very lucky that Dorian's biggest surge didn't coincide with high tide. Imagine the ocean 2-3 more feet from where it reached in this image.

And just how flood proof is the parking garage at Queen's Marque supposed to be?

This could be important information for potential tenants........

q12 Sep 17, 2019 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 8689868)
And just how flood proof is the parking garage at Queen's Marque supposed to be?

This could be important information for potential tenants........

Quote:

Queen's Marque built with future storms in mind, says developer

Developer behind $200M project says he anticipates other future builds will do the same

Anjuli Patil · CBC News · Posted: Sep 11, 2019 8:35 PM AT

https://i.cbc.ca/1.5280064.156823660...ue-halifax.jpg
The Queen's Marque, a development under construction on the Halifax Waterfront, is scheduled to open in 2020. (Paul Poirier/CBC)

In the wake of Dorian, the builder of the Queen's Marque — a mixed-use development under construction on the Halifax waterfront — says the building has been designed with future storms and rising sea levels in mind.

"I think what we're doing here .... is unique, but probably will be followed in the future," said Scott McCrea, the CEO of the Armour Group.

He said big storms like Hurricane Juan, a powerful storm that blew through Nova Scotia in 2003, were top of mind before he even started the $200-million project.

He said he travelled to larger cities like New York and Boston to see what developers there were doing to handle rising sea levels and storm surges, and applied those ideas to Queen's Marque.

For example, visitors will notice it's more than a metre higher than the boardwalk on the waterfront.


https://i.cbc.ca/1.5280243.156824205...arine-room.jpg
The Queen's Marque has a room that could be sealed off in case a storm surge causes a flood. (Paul Poirier/CBC)

McCrea said boards along the boardwalk are being dowelled into concrete to prevent them from lifting and becoming projectiles in hurricanes.

There are generators on the roof and the electrical work is above ground.

The Queen's Marque has what McCrea calls a "submarine room," a room that could be sealed off in case a storm surge causes a flood.

"We've all learned a lot, whether it be through Juan or Dorian, and hopefully we've been able to incorporate some of those things to mitigate problems in the future," McCrea said.

Anya Waite, the scientific director of the Ocean Frontier Institute, said Dorian has raised awareness about problems with Nova Scotia's infrastructure.

https://i.cbc.ca/1.5280256.156824462...-boardwalk.jpg
The Queen's Marque's boardwalk boards are being dowelled into concrete to prevent them from lifting and becoming projectiles in hurricanes. (Paul Poirier/CBC)

Thousands of Nova Scotians are still waiting to get their electricity back and others were not able to call, text or use data on their mobile phones after the storm.

"Dorian was a wake-up call for all of us and I'm hoping that we can use that wake-up call to do something really constructive as we move forward," Waite said.

She said in terms of infrastructure, the province needs to develop a strategy moving forward.

"These are expensive issues and at the same time, take into account climate change in a reasonable way and I think that's a conversation we all need to have together," she said.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...mind-1.5279947

OldDartmouthMark Sep 19, 2019 3:10 PM

Interesting info.

I'm interested on how the "submarine room" effect works for the parking garage. Does it have the ability to sense water influx and thus seal itself off, or does there have to be some sort of manual intervention?

Jonovision Sep 19, 2019 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanWatson (Post 8689810)
So I was just walking by and saw that there are a few pieces of perforated metal screen up on the Lower Water Street side. However, they are very... silver. Definitely not red/copper/Muntz metal. Does anyone know what's up with this?

Maybe that location is silver accents? Or maybe there's another layer to go on? Or maybe they need to be sprayed with something to get a chemical change? Or maybe the colour comes with age? I sure hope they haven't swapped out the planned material.

Those have been up for most of the summer. They installed them and left them. I'm hoping they are just a test on the perforation pattern maybe?

IanWatson Oct 28, 2019 12:17 PM

The stone stairs to the water are in and look quite nice. There's a lot of work going on finishing the wharves. Does anyone know if this is the last season for the sea bridge?

Jstaleness Oct 28, 2019 1:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanWatson (Post 8731227)
The stone stairs to the water are in and look quite nice. There's a lot of work going on finishing the wharves. Does anyone know if this is the last season for the sea bridge?

I don't have a link to back it up, but I do remember that Yes, it was the last year. The boardwalk should be complete before next Spring tourist season.

teddifax Oct 28, 2019 2:32 PM

If they build the Cunard block... it may be back....

Dartguard Oct 28, 2019 2:54 PM

Where would the Seabridge be used exactly, when the Cunard gets underway?

Jonovision Oct 28, 2019 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teddifax (Post 8731321)
If they build the Cunard block... it may be back....

The boardwalk around Cunard was rebuilt about 10 years ago in anticipation of the development. It is planned to remain open during construction as no parts of the building project into the water.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.