SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   My City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
-   -   Christmas in TOLEDO (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196639)

flar Dec 26, 2011 5:14 PM

Christmas in TOLEDO

T O L E D O - O H I O

glowrock Dec 26, 2011 5:18 PM

Great shots, flar! Toledo, home of Maxwell Q. Klinger, of M*A*S*H fame! :D

Aaron (Glowrock)

Expat Dec 26, 2011 5:34 PM

Toledo has an impressive collection of buildings. Very interesting to see.

Kingofthehill Dec 26, 2011 5:39 PM

while the downtown certainly looks better than what i expected, what on earth were you doing down there on, of all days, christmas?

flar Dec 26, 2011 5:57 PM

I'm in Southwestern Ontario visiting family for Christmas so I made a quick trip to Toledo on the afternoon of Christmas Eve. I would've liked to explore the city a bit more, but I had to be home for supper. Last year I visited Detroit on my Christmas holiday (these photo outings are my Christmas gift to myself :haha:)

Jimby Dec 26, 2011 6:23 PM

Nice shots! I was there once and I found it to be a more impressive and substantial city than I thought it would be.

xzmattzx Dec 26, 2011 7:19 PM

Nice pictures. It's good that you had a chance to go see somewhere else. Toledo certainly has a nice stock of old commercial buildings. There's apparently some nice residential areas as well.

softee Dec 26, 2011 7:52 PM

Toledo's downtown kinda reminds me of Hamilton a little, except much quieter. Even for Christmas eve day it seems eerily deserted.

Robert Pence Dec 27, 2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by softee (Post 5528697)
Toledo's downtown kinda reminds me of Hamilton a little, except much quieter. Even for Christmas eve day it seems eerily deserted.

It's not much more lively on a regular day. It's disconcerting to walk down those streets and see all those imposing commercial buildings, mostly vacant and with little activity on the street. I remember visiting Toledo fairly often in the late sixties and early seventies, when there were stores open, people about, and lots of traffic.

The Public Library is a striking building that gets a lot of traffic, though, and Toledo's art museum and zoo are world-class attractions.

arkitekte Dec 27, 2011 1:04 AM

Wow, I wasn't expecting this at all. Nicely done.

Thundertubs Dec 27, 2011 2:18 AM

Awesome set. Toledo has some serious bones.

ColDayMan Dec 27, 2011 6:34 AM

I keep forgetting Toledo is in my state.

Danny Dec 27, 2011 11:52 AM

Thank for the pictures, flar!

Very nice architecture. Stunning photos!

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain! :tup:
Merry Christmas and Happy 2012!

Austinlee Dec 27, 2011 2:15 PM

Awesome. Toledo's downtown has a nice look to it in these pics. It looks very dead but I'm sure much of that is the holiday.

Excellent street level. Nice architecture.

giovanni sasso Dec 27, 2011 2:28 PM

flar represents mudhens. a variety of styles on a variety of styles -- good show.

ifeeldope9779 Dec 28, 2011 1:38 AM

Very nice. Was here for about two hours this summer so some of the pics were reminiscent of my time there. Nice to see Toledo making it to ssp. Defiantly has great bones.

Buckeye Native 001 Dec 28, 2011 2:12 AM

Keep in mind, folks: Ohio and Michigan once went to war over who got to lay claim to Toledo.

All things considered, I think Michigan won.

;) :tup:

ue Dec 28, 2011 2:27 AM

You sure know how to capture the rust belt amazingly. Hamilton, Detroit, Niagara Falls, Buffalo, the Chemical Valley, and now Toledo. I'm curious what next part of the Rust Belt you will showcase for us, as I certainly wouldn't have expected Toledo.

About Toledo, it looks like it has a lot of great architectural bones, so to speak, but like others said, man that is pretty dead. I mean, people bitch about the vibrancy of Prairie downtowns like Edmonton and Winnipeg, but neither are ever this dead (except maybe on Christmas Day, but it's like that in most places that celebrate Christmas anyways). If Toledo could some how lure people and private enterprise back into the old city, it could be one of the hippest towns in the U.S. Just so much wasted potential.

flar Dec 29, 2011 3:05 AM

I was always impressed by Toledo's skyline as I drove through on I-75. This was my first time actually stopping in to look around.

Toledo is solid big city for a few blocks, but those few blocks are surrounded by a sort of no man's land of scattered commercial buildings, warehouses, parking lots and roads. There's not really any residential within walking distance of the core. (I notice this in quite a few American cities, in contrast to most Ontario cities where there are houses right up to--and even mixed into--the downtown area) So I guess that explains why it's not too busy. And there isn't really any shopping downtown either, mostly offices. But there are some really great buildings in Toledo, especially for its size, and they are in excellent condition, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColDayMan (Post 5529106)
I keep forgetting Toledo is in my state.

Yea, you skipped it on your Lake Erie cities thread

Okayyou Dec 29, 2011 2:08 PM

Those are some empty streets. Cool set, no idea what Toledo looked like until I viewed this thread.