SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

whatnext Apr 16, 2020 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 8895338)
1700 Westjet pilots laid off.

Because Westjetters don't care apparently, at least about other Westjetters.

It was always clear that whatever vestige of that vaunted owner spirit left was going to be shredded by Onex. It will look pretty bad if AC keeps its staff on the (government-subsdized) payroll yet Westjet does not.

hollywoodcory Apr 16, 2020 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatnext (Post 8895469)
Because Westjetters don't care apparently, at least about other Westjetters.

It was always clear that whatever vestige of that vaunted owner spirit left was going to be shredded by Onex. It will look pretty bad if AC keeps its staff on the (government-subsdized) payroll yet Westjet does not.

WestJet is keeping its pilots laid off in May on the payroll until June 6 when the government wage subsidy program expires.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6825183/c...ilots-layoffs/

Quote:

The airline said pilots laid off on May 1 will remain on the payroll through the federal wage subsidy program, which WestJet has applied to participate in.

nname Apr 16, 2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexcaban (Post 8894939)
Air Canada route suspensions as of April 15th.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...tml#/pacific-4

Full summer suspensions
YUL-ALG
YUL-BOD
YUL-MRS
YUL/YYZ-OTP
YUL/YYZ-KEF
YUL/YYZ-VCE
YYZ-TXL
YYZ-BUD
YYZ-EDI
YYZ-GLA
YYZ-MAN
YYZ-MXP
YYZ-OPO
YYZ-PRG
YYZ-WAW
YYZ-ZAG
YVR-CDG
YYC-NRT

Other mentions

YVR-BNE resumes October 22
YVR-TPE resumes October 23
YYZ-LIM resumes October 22


And here is the ENTIRE long-haul schedule for June until Jun 26, as of today:

Code:

AC 2        789        23567        HND - YYZ
AC 4        789        D        NRT - YVR
AC 8        789        D        HKG - YVR
AC 26        789        357        PVG - YVR
AC 30        789        1246        PEK - YVR
AC 42        789        357        YYZ - DEL
AC 64        789        13567        ICN - YVR
AC 80        789        246        YYZ - TLV
AC 90        789        246        YYZ - GRU
AC 824        788        246        YYZ - AMS
AC 832        333        2357        YUL - BRU
AC 834        788        2357        YYZ - YUL - GVA
AC 844        789        1357        YYC - FRA
AC 846        789        24567        YYZ - MUC
AC 848        77W        D        YYZ - LHR
AC 854        789        D        YVR - LHR
AC 856        77W        D        YYZ - LHR
AC 864        333        D        YUL - LHR
AC 870        77W        D        YUL - CDG
AC 872        77W        D        YYZ - FRA
AC 874        333        D        YUL - FRA
AC 878        789        3567        YYZ - ZRH
AC 880        789        1246        YYZ - CDG
AC 898        789        357        YYZ - VIE
AC 1944        763        13567        YYZ - BOG
AC 1948        319        357        YYZ - PTY


lubicon Apr 17, 2020 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatnext (Post 8895469)
Because Westjetters don't care apparently, at least about other Westjetters.

It was always clear that whatever vestige of that vaunted owner spirit left was going to be shredded by Onex. It will look pretty bad if AC keeps its staff on the (government-subsdized) payroll yet Westjet does not.

They won't. As soon as the wage subsidy program ends it doesn't make any sense for AC to keep excess pilots on staff either.

zahav Apr 18, 2020 2:07 AM

As if flying wasn't off-putting enough to the general public:

Air Canada Customers Required to Have Protective Face Coverings as Additional Safeguard

Air Canada's recommended face-covering practice becomes mandatory with Transport Canada Directive where social distancing is not possible

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020...onal-Safeguard

Dominion301 Apr 18, 2020 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 8897029)
As if flying wasn't off-putting enough to the general public:

Air Canada Customers Required to Have Protective Face Coverings as Additional Safeguard

Air Canada's recommended face-covering practice becomes mandatory with Transport Canada Directive where social distancing is not possible

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020...onal-Safeguard

It’s not just AC , but a Transport Canada Ministerial order until further notice for all flights touching Canadian soil. All pax will need to wear them to get past security and to board the aircraft, but will be permitted to remove them on board if the flight has pax well spaced out...which would be most flights at the moment.

craneSpotter Apr 18, 2020 6:01 PM

YYJ (Victoria INT) and YLW (Kelowna) have posted their March passenger stats.

YYJ: down 50.5%

YLW: down 45.8%

Victoria YWH (Inner Harbour) would probably be down the same as YYJ - but will be about 0 for April as there are no flights to Vancouver or Seattle out of downtown this month.

hollywoodcory Apr 18, 2020 10:31 PM

Sounds like WestJet will be extending its international/US suspension until June 4. Only 10 737s and 10 Q400s being used. Likely reflected in its schedule update tonight.

SpongeG Apr 19, 2020 12:05 AM

I thought overseas flights had been stopped? I saw a phillipine airlines plane land at YVR the other day.

YYCguys Apr 19, 2020 1:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 8897661)
Sounds like WestJet will be extending its international/US suspension until June 4. Only 10 737s and 10 Q400s being used. Likely reflected in its schedule update tonight.

Is the one 787 that’s being used between YYC and YYZ being parked now as well?

hollywoodcory Apr 19, 2020 5:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYCguys (Post 8897764)
Is the one 787 that’s being used between YYC and YYZ being parked now as well?

Looks like it’ll only operate a few times a week.

craneSpotter Apr 19, 2020 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 8897709)
I thought overseas flights had been stopped? I saw a phillipine airlines plane land at YVR the other day.

No, there are currently a 'limited' number of overseas services to/from YVR, YYZ and YUL by foreign carriers.

Air Canada also has a few Overseas flights currently operating from from YVR, YYZ and YUL.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...na-travel.html

kwoldtimer Apr 19, 2020 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craneSpotter (Post 8898042)
No, there are currently a 'limited' number of overseas services to/from YVR, YYZ and YUL by foreign carriers.

Air Canada also has a few Overseas flights currently operating from from YVR, YYZ and YUL.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...na-travel.html

There are also still occasional charter flights bringing stranded Canadians home, no?

craneSpotter Apr 19, 2020 4:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 8898046)
There are also still occasional charter flights bringing stranded Canadians home, no?

Yes, but I believe they were mostly completed by now - at least the announced ones. There may be a few one-offs here and there to YYZ/YUL.

thenoflyzone Apr 19, 2020 6:01 PM

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...html#/os-april

Completed AC repatriation flights:

Algiers-Montreal: March 31 & April 4, 10, 17
Barcelona-Montreal: March 25
Bogota-Toronto: April 3
Buenos Aires-Toronto: April 5
Casablanca-Montreal: March 21, 23, & 25
Lima-Toronto: March 24, 26, 27 & April 1, 2, 4, 16
Quito-Toronto: March 25, 27, 29, & 31

AC has also been operating a shit ton of cargo flights to PVG the last week or two, most likely to bring back PPE equipment to Canada. All of the flights stop in NRT, both ways, most likely for crew change.

Currently airborne flights to/from PVG, as per flightradar24:

AC2283 YUL-NRT-PVG B77W (all cargo config)
AC2284 PVG-NRT-YYZ B77W (all cargo config)
AC2285 YYZ-NRT-PVG B77W
AC2286 PVG-NRT-YWG B77W
AC7155 YYZ-NRT-PVG B789
AC7156 PVG-NRT-YYZ B789

thenoflyzone Apr 19, 2020 6:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 8897428)
It’s not just AC , but a Transport Canada Ministerial order until further notice for all flights touching Canadian soil. All pax will need to wear them to get past security and to board the aircraft, but will be permitted to remove them on board if the flight has pax well spaced out...which would be most flights at the moment.

A stupid measure, considering cloth masks and scarfs are accepted, both of which do absolutely nothing to protect the passengers on board.

Quote:

Customers may bring their own face covering which may include a cloth mask, scarf or similar item

wave46 Apr 19, 2020 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8898141)

AC has also been operating a shit ton of cargo flights to PVG the last week or two, most likely to bring back PPE equipment to Canada. All of the flights stop in NRT, both ways, most likely for crew change.

I'm curious why the stopover is in NRT, as the aircraft AC is using (787 and 777) can easily make the hop from PVG to YYZ without stopping. I don't see NRT being that much of a better stop for crew change, unless I'm misinformed about duty times.

It's not like NRT is really an AC hub either. Unless they're picking up cargo in Japan too, which would be my guess.

thenoflyzone Apr 19, 2020 11:01 PM

A lot of airlines dont seem to want their crews laying over in China. I believe the idea is for a fresh AC crew to hop on board at NRT and operate NRT-PVG-NRT, without ever leaving the aircraft.

NRT is a safe stopover and allows plenty of wiggle room in crew duty times were there to be a snag. Because the pilots stay on board, the clock keeps running in case of a snag. Keep in mind it might take an hour or two to load/unload the cargo as well. Hence why a close stopover.

Same reason why some repatriation flights to Europe and North Africa had a stop in YHZ.

rbt Apr 19, 2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8898368)
A lot of airlines dont seem to want their crews laying over in China.

Based on freight pickups, China isn't letting crews off the aircraft.

Dominion301 Apr 20, 2020 3:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8898151)
A stupid measure, considering cloth masks and scarfs are accepted, both of which do absolutely nothing to protect the passengers on board.

EDIT: Those types of face covers are also acceptable.

https://www.skiesmag.com/press-relea...mes-mandatory/

Quote:

Customers may bring their own face covering which may include a cloth mask, scarf or similar item. See the PHAC website for examples of recommended non-medical coverings. Critical medical-grade masks will continue to be strictly reserved for frontline workers.
If you show up at the airport without one, CATSA will be handing them out at security.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.