SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

zahav Dec 12, 2019 8:12 AM

Frontier having 1 weekly flight is even more random, but it must work for them to utilize that aircraft on Saturdays or else ya they would have axed it. Sun Country is random in that this wasn't an announcement people were expecting, but it makes sense why they would do it. I am still bitter that all of our recent route annoucements (I don't count TK because that isn't formal) are either existing routes on new carriers, or new routes for existing carriers, there isn't any new of both (if that makes sense lol ie. TK to IST, or TG to BKK). At least Sun COuntry is a new carrier

Dominion301 Dec 12, 2019 2:39 PM

Air Transat post Q4 results: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...808780269.html

Quote:

For the fourth quarter:

Revenues of $693.2 million.
Adjusted operating income1 of $50.9 million (Operating income of $23.5 million).*
Adjusted net income3 of $27.2 million (Net income attributable to shareholders of $20.3 million).*
For the year:

Revenues of $2.9 billion.
Adjusted operating income of $38.0 million (Operating loss of $49.8 million)*
Adjusted net loss of $9.4 million (Net loss attributable to shareholders of $33.2 million).*

Dominion301 Dec 12, 2019 2:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8772509)
They have 6 DH1s, which will all be gone by December 2020. They will also drop 4 DH3s and 4 DH4s by the end of 2020 as well.

The AC Express fleet will drop from 146 this year to 132 by the end of next year.

That makes sense why on AC's 'potential future A220 routes' route map they show the likes of YOW-YWG, so that CR9s can be freed up for retiring Express aircraft.

People_talking Dec 12, 2019 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 8773652)
Frontier having 1 weekly flight is even more random, but it must work for them to utilize that aircraft on Saturdays or else ya they would have axed it. Sun Country is random in that this wasn't an announcement people were expecting, but it makes sense why they would do it. I am still bitter that all of our recent route annoucements (I don't count TK because that isn't formal) are either existing routes on new carriers, or new routes for existing carriers, there isn't any new of both (if that makes sense lol ie. TK to IST, or TG to BKK). At least Sun COuntry is a new carrier

Is frontier really down to one weekly? I thought it was still at around 3.

hollywoodcory Dec 12, 2019 4:27 PM

Looking at Feb it looks like AC YYC-LHR will be mostly done on a 763. There is the odd day its still a 789 and a few days even showing a 77W.

Quote:

Originally Posted by People_talking (Post 8773787)
Is frontier really down to one weekly? I thought it was still at around 3.

At it's peak it was 5x weekly (3x DEN & 2x LAS). Presently its 1x weekly in the winter and 2x Weekly in the summer.

Dominion301 Dec 12, 2019 7:25 PM

WS CEO Sims says newly privatized WS will at last shift their focus to YOW, YUL and YYZ: https://business.financialpost.com/t...#comments-area

Bring on Onex! Maybe WS at YOW and YUL will finally start to outgrow WS at YLW.

craneSpotter Dec 12, 2019 7:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 8774111)
WS CEO Sims says newly privatized WS will at last shift their focus to YOW, YUL and YYZ: https://business.financialpost.com/t...#comments-area

Bring on Onex! Maybe WS at YOW and YUL will finally start to outgrow WS at YLW.

Surprise surprise. The major decisions @ WS will now be made in Toronto by the parent. I imagine over time some WS executives may move east.

Dominion301 Dec 12, 2019 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craneSpotter (Post 8774146)
Surprise surprise. The major decisions @ WS will now be made in Toronto by the parent. I imagine over time some WS executives may move east.

Here's another (non)shocker, WS announce YYC-BOS: http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2019-12...to-Calgary-hub

hollywoodcory Dec 12, 2019 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 8774180)
Here's another (non)shocker, WS announce YYC-BOS: http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2019-12...to-Calgary-hub

Well that didn't take long at all :haha:

WS's will run May 14-Oct 10 looking at what's been loaded.

lubicon Dec 12, 2019 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 8774111)
WS CEO Sims says newly privatized WS will at last shift their focus to YOW, YUL and YYZ: https://business.financialpost.com/t...#comments-area

Bring on Onex! Maybe WS at YOW and YUL will finally start to outgrow WS at YLW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by craneSpotter (Post 8774146)
Surprise surprise. The major decisions @ WS will now be made in Toronto by the parent. I imagine over time some WS executives may move east.

Why would this be a surprise? Where else is growth supposed to come from? Beefing up their presence in Canada's two largest cities plus the capital city is almost a no brainer. They have done a nice job with the Calgary hub but looking at Canada's major population centre makes a lot of sense.

p_xavier Dec 12, 2019 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubicon (Post 8774221)
Why would this be a surprise? Where else is growth supposed to come from? Beefing up their presence in Canada's two largest cities plus the capital city is almost a no brainer. They have done a nice job with the Calgary hub but looking at Canada's major population centre makes a lot of sense.

I wish them all the luck in Québec...

YYCguys Dec 12, 2019 9:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p_xavier (Post 8774263)
I wish them all the luck in Québec...

Didn’t they try their luck at YUL-YQB and pull the route soon after?

Definitely will be happy to see more love for YUL and YOW though!

Jaws Dec 12, 2019 9:49 PM

I think Westjet gets a name change at some point.

whatnext Dec 12, 2019 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 8774111)
WS CEO Sims says newly privatized WS will at last shift their focus to YOW, YUL and YYZ: https://business.financialpost.com/t...#comments-area

Bring on Onex! Maybe WS at YOW and YUL will finally start to outgrow WS at YLW.

No surprise, WS home base's economy is in the shitter. Onex is saying they don't see it recovering anytime soon, hence look elsewhere for growth.

esquire Dec 12, 2019 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws (Post 8774311)
I think Westjet gets a name change at some point.

They've already come up with a great idea for a new name :)

Video Link

p_xavier Dec 12, 2019 9:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYCguys (Post 8774298)
Didn’t they try their luck at YUL-YQB and pull the route soon after?

Definitely will be happy to see more love for YUL and YOW though!

Yes, plus YUL-BOS and failed miserably. There's much cultural cues to get and with all the Albertan diatribe against the province, good luck to get local folks travelling on "West"Jet.

Alexcaban Dec 12, 2019 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYCguys (Post 8774298)
Didn’t they try their luck at YUL-YQB and pull the route soon after?

Definitely will be happy to see more love for YUL and YOW though!

And YUL-BOS lasted 1 year

YUL-YXU one summer

Even YUL-YVR is not even year round.

zahav Dec 13, 2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 8773897)
Looking at Feb it looks like AC YYC-LHR will be mostly done on a 763. There is the odd day its still a 789 and a few days even showing a 77W.



At it's peak it was 5x weekly (3x DEN & 2x LAS). Presently its 1x weekly in the winter and 2x Weekly in the summer.

It looks like one weekly year round now, but they could add back a 2nd weekly flight. But ya, just 1 flight per week on Saturday.

I wonder how the yields and loads will be on the YYC-BOS flight with both AC and WS doing dailies. Seems like a pissing contest more than anything, and a rather desperate one at that. Nothing like a good old fashioned see who blinks first contest lol, it will probably be both of them!

hollywoodcory Dec 13, 2019 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 8774481)
It looks like one weekly year round now, but they could add back a 2nd weekly flight. But ya, just 1 flight per week on Saturday.

I wonder how the yields and loads will be on the YYC-BOS flight with both AC and WS doing dailies. Seems like a pissing contest more than anything, and a rather desperate one at that. Nothing like a good old fashioned see who blinks first contest lol, it will probably be both of them!

Anytime I see Frontier do a schedule extension I expect to see they've quietly cancelled it. The flights do seem to always be full, but given their fares I doubt their making any money on it. But good on them for not allowing WS to bully them out of the market.

craneSpotter Dec 13, 2019 3:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws (Post 8774311)
I think Westjet gets a name change at some point.

No I don't think so. They built up that brand over a long time - it's a good brand. Dangerous to change it now. However Encore is less 'regional', or maybe they introduce a new regional brand for the East - but mainline remains WestJet.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.