SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

cyeg66 Jun 3, 2018 6:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie (Post 8208159)
I tend to post news affecting YVR or YYC only in their threads... has this become a pseudo YUL thread? Is there a YUL thread? Too lazy to look.

Sure there is : :tumbleweed:

Cage Jun 3, 2018 7:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 8206228)
I wouldn't be surprised to see WJ base nearly all of their 787s in YYZ with a token service thrown at YYC and YVR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudInspector (Post 8206347)
I’ve heard 75% of the 787s will be based in YYZ and the other 25% in YVR. Not sure how how accurate that is, though it was from some employees.

You have to consider how full YYZ T3 and YVR international gates can get during the preferred arrival and departure times. I had lunch with a 30 year veteran of the air transport battle and he said there is no simple way or unilateral way to get Air TransAt to release gates at T3.

WestJet's constant line has been that point to point airlines should be transferred to the infield terminal. However the lease agreements and incumbency mean that Air Transat and the other longstanding airlines (BA, KL, AF, etc.) cant be kicked out unwillingly.

Unless WS is willing to pay TS hundreds of millions of dollars, it will be WS sent to the infield terminal as they are a new entrant in the crowded field. For clarity, a move to the infield would kill off any chance WS wanted a decent connection traffic.

Looking at YVR, gate space is even tighter for Asian departures. No way that incumbent airlines are going to give up gate space.

I think the Dreamliner allocation will be 1/3 to each of YVR-YYC-YYZ.

thenoflyzone Jun 3, 2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cage (Post 8208573)
You have to consider how full YYZ T3 and YVR international gates can get during the preferred arrival and departure times. I had lunch with a 30 year veteran of the air transport battle and he said there is no simple way or unilateral way to get Air TransAt to release gets at T3.

WestJet's constant line has been that point to point airlines should be transferred to the infield terminal. However the lease agreements and incumbency mean that Air Transat and the other longstanding airlines (BA, KL, AF, etc.) cant be kicked out willingly.

Unless WS is willing to pay TS hundreds of millions of dollars, it will be WS sent to the infield terminal as they are a new entrant in the crowded field. For clarity, a move to the infield would kill off any chance WS wanted a decent connection traffic.

Looking at YVR, gate space is even tighter for Asian departures. No way that incumbent airlines are going to give up gate space.

I think the Dreamliner allocation will be 1/3 to each of YVR-YYC-YYZ.

Like I said last year, WS is late to the game. Pure and simple. They should have bought these dreamliners and expanded long haul years ago. There is a very real chance their 787 experiment will flop.

G.S MTL Jun 3, 2018 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie (Post 8208159)
And you forgot HNL. Although technically not part of North America geographically, it's still American and should be included in lists like these. I suppose one could pick any arbitrary number as a cutoff. Perhaps a list of 10 or more would reduce the list substantially. Or even 20+ :haha:

I tend to post news affecting YVR or YYC only in their threads... has this become a pseudo YUL thread? Is there a YUL thread? Too lazy to look.

Are you a stupid ? This is the Canadian airport thread. Last time I checked, Montreal YUL is in Canada. The inaugural flight to NRT Is big news. Tired of forumers always having a negative attitude towards YUL. YUL is doing amazing! Too bad for you. ! We gained 3 Asian destinations in 2 years which is something we don’t see and it ain’t over just yet. Keep your negative shit to yourself please.

isaidso Jun 3, 2018 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.S MTL (Post 8208682)
The inaugural flight to NRT Is big news. YUL is doing amazing!

Agree. Don't let a few bad apples get to you. :)

casper Jun 3, 2018 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cage (Post 8208573)
You have to consider how full YYZ T3 and YVR international gates can get during the preferred arrival and departure times. I had lunch with a 30 year veteran of the air transport battle and he said there is no simple way or unilateral way to get Air TransAt to release gates at T3.

WestJet's constant line has been that point to point airlines should be transferred to the infield terminal. However the lease agreements and incumbency mean that Air Transat and the other longstanding airlines (BA, KL, AF, etc.) cant be kicked out unwillingly.

Unless WS is willing to pay TS hundreds of millions of dollars, it will be WS sent to the infield terminal as they are a new entrant in the crowded field. For clarity, a move to the infield would kill off any chance WS wanted a decent connection traffic.

Looking at YVR, gate space is even tighter for Asian departures. No way that incumbent airlines are going to give up gate space.

I think the Dreamliner allocation will be 1/3 to each of YVR-YYC-YYZ.

What is interesting is the infield terminal is next to a public road and redoing some fences can be made into a building that is accessible to the general public. If the ground level can be configured with checkin counters and perhaps a small Canadian customs area it may make for a fairly attractive small standalone terminal. Say Terminal 2.

What it would be missing is ground transportation infrastructure and parking.

Cage Jun 3, 2018 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8208583)
Like I said last year, WS is late to the game. Pure and simple. They should have bought these dreamliners and expanded long haul years ago. There is a very real chance their 787 experiment will flop.

While I agree the WS Dreamliners are late to the game, the project is unlikely to be a flop. Rather WS has a lot of headwinds between now and 2022 when this program will likely be on solid footing.

T3 preferential access may require WS buying up Groupe TransAt, splitting up the company, retaining the airline, selling off the tour operator and hotel ops. Groupe TransAt should keep in mind their enterprise value is about $300 million, so don’t get too greedy if WS shows up with their cheque book looking for a deal.

TRZ.T market cap aside, DL paid about 300 million USD for preferential access to 30 gates at LAX in T2 and T3. Their LAX ops support 120-140 flights per day including dozen international flights.

Cage Jun 3, 2018 7:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 8208703)
What is interesting is the infield terminal is next to a public road and redoing some fences can be made into a building that is accessible to the general public. If the ground level can be configured with checkin counters and perhaps a small Canadian customs area it may make for a fairly attractive small standalone terminal. Say Terminal 2.

What it would be missing is ground transportation infrastructure and parking.

Britannia Road and associated network could not handle the 1.5 million pax going through an independent midfield terminal. Also highly doubtful CBSA would agree to a third custom facility at YYZ, they have opposed setting up a second facility at YVR.

That said an independent terminal on that side of the airport is not a bad idea.

CloudInspector Jun 3, 2018 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cage (Post 8208775)
Also highly doubtful CBSA would agree to a third custom facility at YYZ, they have opposed setting up a second facility at YVR.

I didn’t know YVR wanted a second one, where do/did they want to put it?

zahav Jun 3, 2018 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.S MTL (Post 8208682)
Are you a stupid ? This is the Canadian airport thread. Last time I checked, Montreal YUL is in Canada. The inaugural flight to NRT Is big news. Tired of forumers always having a negative attitude towards YUL. YUL is doing amazing! Too bad for you. ! We gained 3 Asian destinations in 2 years which is something we don’t see and it ain’t over just yet. Keep your negative shit to yourself please.

It was a joke, don't take it so seriously, he even had an emoji. And really, there is WAY more unnecessary shade thrown at YVR for everything from forumers on this thread than vice versa, whether it's downplaying traffic stats, saying its only dependent on China, etc... When it's news for YUL it's a national celebration, when it's anything YVR related it's either crickets or critisism. And if you think otherwise, you aren'tpaying attention

Cage Jun 3, 2018 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudInspector (Post 8208790)
I didn’t know YVR wanted a second one, where do/did they want to put it?

Theoretically, the old CBSA hall in the domestic terminal could be repurposed as a second CBSA hall for WestJet to handle inbound international arrivals from the A/B concourse. This would have saved the YVRAA over 100million because they would not require require retrofitting the fourth level sterile corridor from A/b to the hammerhead of D/E.

My understanding is this idea was shot down early on by CBSA as they don’t like split terminal operations.

Further it is possible that WS could open up the old CBSA hall at YYC to Han,de international to domestic aircraft turns. However CBSA does not support this idea.

osirisboy Jun 3, 2018 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.S MTL (Post 8208682)
Are you a stupid ? This is the Canadian airport thread. Last time I checked, Montreal YUL is in Canada. The inaugural flight to NRT Is big news. Tired of forumers always having a negative attitude towards YUL. YUL is doing amazing! Too bad for you. ! We gained 3 Asian destinations in 2 years which is something we don’t see and it ain’t over just yet. Keep your negative shit to yourself please.

Oh I heard that Montreal hasn't been getting the increase in passenger numbers that they were expecting and that growth will be pretty sluggish.

CloudInspector Jun 3, 2018 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cage (Post 8208829)
Theoretically, the old CBSA hall in the domestic terminal could be repurposed as a second CBSA hall for WestJet to handle inbound international arrivals from the A/B concourse. This would have saved the YVRAA over 100million because they would not require require retrofitting the fourth level sterile corridor from A/b to the hammerhead of D/E.

My understanding is this idea was shot down early on by CBSA as they don’t like split terminal operations.

Further it is possible that WS could open up the old CBSA hall at YYC to Han,de international to domestic aircraft turns. However CBSA does not support this idea.

Thanks for that, that’s really interesting. If that would have happened, I wonder if all of WestJet’s partner airlines in YVR/YYC would’ve also used their concourses leaving the international terminals for the oneWorld, Star and unaffiliated carriers.

Also with CMA moving to the South Terminal in YVR, does this mean that they’re finally going to renovate/rebuild the remainder of the B Pier?

GreaterMontréal Jun 3, 2018 11:09 PM

November , +9.4%
December , +9.7%
January , +5.5%
February , +6.4%
March , +9.3%
April , +2.3%
May ???

April was probably an anomaly for multiple reasons. still +5.7% YTD April 2018

osirisboy Jun 3, 2018 11:37 PM

Maybe march was the anomaly

GreaterMontréal Jun 4, 2018 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osirisboy (Post 8208911)
Maybe march was the anomaly

Quote:

Forecast traffic
• Over the next five years, traffic should grow at an average annual rate of over 4%;
• 22 million passengers in 2022 and 35 million in 2035!
https://www.admtl.com/en/future

YTD April at +5.7% is not too bad.

cyeg66 Jun 4, 2018 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osirisboy (Post 8208911)
Maybe march was the anomaly

:haha::haha::haha:
I like your style. :D

thenoflyzone Jun 4, 2018 1:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osirisboy (Post 8208877)
Oh I heard that Montreal hasn't been getting the increase in passenger numbers that they were expecting and that growth will be pretty sluggish.

You can do better than that.....C minus at best. ;)

As for your anomaly. Yes there was one. April 2017. Which helps explain April 2018. Look it up.

zahav Jun 4, 2018 5:45 AM

Just found this article discussing China Southern ditching Skyteam and joining One World. I wonder if there's any truth to it? It focuses a lot on the impact to Cathay Pacific since Guangzhou and Hong Kong are so close. Interestingly it mentions several of Cathay Pacific's ties to *Alliance members, and Air Canada did just enter into a codeshare agreement with Cathay after they split with WS. Would be a big shake-up for the alliances!

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...yteam-alliance

le calmar Jun 4, 2018 1:07 PM

I don't get the hate for YUL, if it is getting good numbers that's good news. If numbers drop over the next few months that would suck, but sometimes it seems that a few people on here hope that it doesn't do well. I certainly hope YUL does well (partially because we in Ottawa depend on it quite a bit, but also because I like to see all Canadian airports do well).


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.