SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

p_xavier May 1, 2018 2:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8172985)
The $2.5 billion is only for the next 5 years, and that money is planned for 1 remote pier (11 gates, busing operations), repaving runway 06L/24R, adding/realigning some taxiways, a new connection center, improving road access to airport and rebuilding the multi-level car park to accommodate for the REM. That is all.

All of the rest is if traffic keeps up with what is forecast. Right now, signs are pointing to a slowdown. Time will tell what happens.

For only that, that's still a major project.

le calmar May 1, 2018 3:05 PM

The remote pier will be located between two runways from what I have seen. Is there going to be a underground pedestrian link connecting that new pier to the terminal, or are they planning a shuttle bus/people mover?

hollywoodcory May 1, 2018 4:15 PM

WS is increasing YYC-OGG next winter, including an extended run. Now starts in late October instead of December. Runs 4x weekly from Oct-Dec on the Max 8, then increases to 8x weekly with a mix of Max 8/ and 767.

thenoflyzone May 1, 2018 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_jeffrey (Post 8173052)
For only that, that's still a major project.

No denying that. But its still a far cry from what is shown on that picture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by le calmar (Post 8173073)
The remote pier will be located between two runways from what I have seen. Is there going to be a underground pedestrian link connecting that new pier to the terminal, or are they planning a shuttle bus/people mover?

Bus, same as the Infield terminal building at YYZ.

cyeg66 May 1, 2018 5:13 PM

Those YUL expansion plans look fabulous, IMO. I'm looking forward to seeing what gets built vs. what doesn't. The councourse expansion looks fantastic, but the covered parking seems like overkill and unnecessary. Having underground Metro transit to the airport (via a spur) would be the envy of the ROC. As thenoflyzone could attest to, what would quickly become apparent is the need for major taxiway work and increased runway capacity should the movements keep increasing as they are. With the closure of Golf Dorval, and a realignment of chemin St-François along with its associated businesses, there appears to be plenty of room to add a close parallel to 24R à la PHX/SEA runway utilization.

chris May 1, 2018 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyeg66 (Post 8173255)
Those YUL expansion plans look fabulous, IMO. I'm looking forward to seeing what gets built vs. what doesn't. The councourse expansion looks fabulous, but the covered parking seems like overkill and unnecessary. Having underground Metro transit to the airport (via a spur) would be the envy of the ROC. As thenoflyzone could attest to, what would quickly become apparent is the need for major taxiway work and increased runway capacity should the movements keep increasing as they are. With the closure of Gold Dorval, and a realignment of chemin St-François along with its associated businesses, there appears to be plenty of room to add a close parallel to 24R à la PHX/SEA runway utilization.

Aeroports de Montreal keep referring to LHR's situation with two parallel runways...saying if LHR can support 70 million through their airport with 2 runways then why can't YUL? With that being said, I think Aeroports de Montreal intends on keeping it a 2 runway airport for a while. In addition, I doubt the NIMBYs would allow for a 3rd parallel runway.

LeftCoaster May 1, 2018 10:09 PM

Love the YUL plans, very visionary.

Given the timelines involved I doubt it will turn out looking much like that but they are laying a strong blueprint for growth.

DrNest May 2, 2018 2:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris (Post 8173547)
Aeroports de Montreal keep referring to LHR's situation with two parallel runways...saying if LHR can support 70 million through their airport with 2 runways then why can't YUL? With that being said, I think Aeroports de Montreal intends on keeping it a 2 runway airport for a while. In addition, I doubt the NIMBYs would allow for a 3rd parallel runway.

Besides having some of the world's best ATC moving so many aircraft, part of the reason Heathrow has so many passengers is the aircraft types. Except for emergencies, only jets are scheduled, so no small turboprops and little RJs. Fitting something like 120-150 passengers in a Medium vortex jet compared to 50 in a Medium turboprop really helps with overall passenger numbers.

All that being said, Heathrow is in desperate need of a third runway...

ACT7 May 2, 2018 1:50 PM

Looks like Hainan is converting some of their PEK-YYZ flights to Chongqing-Beijing-Toronto, from Oct 2018.

DDP May 2, 2018 2:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYCguys (Post 8172278)
Whoa! That’s sick! It’s going to be incredible! I hope Toronto’s Pearson will follow suit!

Toronto doesn't have the immediate need that Montreal does for something drasitc. Toronto is a much larger and open airport, that is more modern and has better behind the scenes infrastructure. Parking isn't a major issue, nor are check in areas or connecting areas.

Toronto can just keep growing passengers as in until they need to put in the new Pier in T1 and work on the new transportation hub.

Prometheus May 4, 2018 5:54 PM

YVR March Passenger Statistics:

Total: 2,089,754 (+9.3%)

Domestic: 987,586 (+6.9%)
International: 1,102,168 (+11.5%)

Transborder: 533,801 (+6.0%)
Asia Pacific: 364,150 (+17.4%)
Europe: 88,646 (+1.7%)
Misc: 115,571 (+32.3%)

YTD: 5,857,718 (+9.5%)

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/docume...site.pdf?la=en

thenoflyzone May 4, 2018 6:10 PM

Q1 2018 results for the majors. Pretty impressive stuff. YVR is a bit disappointing though. I honestly expected more from Vancouver....;)

2018 (2017) %

YYZ - 11,330,493 (10,656,602) +6.3%

YVR - 5,857,718 (5,351,795) +9,5%

YUL - 4,386,841 (4,100,153) +7%

YYC - 3,969,466 (3,748,757) +5,9%

YEG - 1,832,346 (1,730,883) +5,9%

thenoflyzone May 4, 2018 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenTheGreat97 (Post 8166723)
A flight crew in Canada can do up to 14 consecutive hours in one day, so it would be possible, but probably unlikely that they would do it.

This is an interesting subject. A lot of pilot fatigue related incidents in recent years will inevitably change the 14 hour rule.

According to CBC, new rules are coming later this year, and airlines will have 12 months to comply.

Current 14 hour limit will be lowered to 9-13 hours, depending on shift start times, number of segments, rest period beforehand, etc, similar to what is done in Europe and the US.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/h...rash-1.4647888

LeftCoaster May 4, 2018 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8177009)
Q1 2018 results for the majors. Pretty impressive stuff. YVR is a bit disappointing though. I honestly expected more from Vancouver....;)

2018 (2017) %

YYZ - 11,330,493 (10,656,602) +6.3%

YVR - 5,857,718 (5,351,795) +9,5%

YUL - 4,386,841 (4,100,153) +7%

YYC - 3,969,466 (3,748,757) +5,9%

YEG - 1,832,346 (1,730,883) +5,9%


Monstrous. Even YYC growing strong despite the continued struggles of the oil patch offices.

thenoflyzone May 6, 2018 3:58 AM

Some insane winds in Ontario and Quebec last night. YYZ and YUL saw wind gusts of up to 60 knots (111 km/h). A lot of canceled flights and diversions due to debris on the runway, especially at YYZ. Also, winds exceeded cabin/cargo door limitations on some aircraft.

The video says it all.

https://globalnews.ca/video/4189361/...n-strong-winds

DrNest May 6, 2018 4:09 PM

Yeah, the winds were crazy, even stronger than the wind storm of a few weeks ago. One of my colleagues told me they hit 68 knots at CYHM.

thenoflyzone May 8, 2018 12:28 PM

AC winter 2018 changes. Interesting ones highlighted in bold.

Glad to see AC doing well on YUL-TLV. Flights resumed las week, and will operate for a whole 8 months (3x weekly during peak summer, 2x weekly during winter).
YVR-DEL is also performing well.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-07may18/

Quote:

Air Canada in recent weeks adjusted planned Mainline long-haul operation for winter 2018/19 season, effective from 28OCT18. Latest adjustment as of 07MAY18 as follows. As usual, additional changes expected in the next few weeks.

Montreal – Casablanca Mainline A330-300 continues to operate 3 weekly (W17 operated by rouge 767)
Montreal – Lyon eff 06JAN19 787-8 replaces A330-300, 4 weekly (3 weekly 14JAN19 – 15FEB19)
Montreal – Tel Aviv Seasonal service extended to 02JAN19, 2 weekly 787-8 operating
Toronto – Dubai eff 28OCT18 3 weekly service operated by 400-seater 777-300ER, replacing 787-9 (AC last operated 777 on this route in winter 2016/17 season)
Toronto – Dublin eff 28OCT18 767-300ER operating in W18, replacing A330-300 in W17
Toronto – Madrid eff 28OCT18 767-300ER operating in W18, replacing A330-300 in W17
Toronto – Munich eff 28OCT18 400-seater 777-300ER operates entire winter season, instead of 777/787 mix in W17
Toronto – Santiago de Chile eff 28OCT18 787-9 continues to operate 5 weekly terminator service, compared to 6 weekly 777-300ER in NW17 (which extended to Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires in NW18 will be 3 weekly 787-9 nonstop service in each direction)
Toronto – Seoul Incheon
28OCT18 – 18DEC18 Service operates 4 weekly, identical to same period in 2017
19DEC18 – 28MAR19 Reduce from 7 weekly during same period in 2017 to 6 weekly

Toronto – Shanghai Pu Dong eff 28OCT18 777-200LR scheduled to operate entire winter 2018, instead of 777-200LR/-300ER/787-9 mix in W17
Toronto – Tel Aviv eff 28OCT18 787-9 operates 1 daily, replacing -8 in W17
Toronto – Zurich eff 28OCT18 787-9 operating entire winter season, replacing 787-8/A330-300 in W17
Vancouver – Delhi eff 28OCT18 winter 2018/19 sees 6 weekly for entire season with 787-9, compared to 4 weekly in W17 (7 weekly in selected periods)
Vancouver – London Heathrow 07NOV18 – 30JAN19 400-seater 777-300ER replaces 450-seater

YYCguys May 9, 2018 12:21 AM

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/westj...?.tsrc=applewf

WestJet unveils its Dreamliner 'Spirit of Canada' to the world
CNW Group
May 8, 2018
Inspiration behind new livery, interior elements and logo revealed

CALGARY , May 8, 2018 /CNW/ - WestJet today unveiled its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner livery, logo and cabin interior including the airline's first-ever business class cabin. The reveal is part of WestJet's lead-up to the arrival of its Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners in early 2019.

I’m very excited about this, and finding out it’s destinatons and exact launch dates will be icing on the cake! I’m sure we will hear more about that, perhaps this fall/early winter! Of note, not all of the machines are being delivered in early 2019, are they?

GlassCity May 9, 2018 1:16 AM

I don't know the first thing about aviation or the business, but I'm curious about why WestJet doesn't have business class already. A remnant from it's low-fare days? Do they not work on 737s? Some other business strategy?

G.S MTL May 9, 2018 2:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYCguys (Post 8181388)
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/westj...?.tsrc=applewf

WestJet unveils its Dreamliner 'Spirit of Canada' to the world
CNW Group
May 8, 2018
Inspiration behind new livery, interior elements and logo revealed

CALGARY , May 8, 2018 /CNW/ - WestJet today unveiled its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner livery, logo and cabin interior including the airline's first-ever business class cabin. The reveal is part of WestJet's lead-up to the arrival of its Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners in early 2019.

I’m very excited about this, and finding out it’s destinatons and exact launch dates will be icing on the cake! I’m sure we will hear more about that, perhaps this fall/early winter! Of note, not all of the machines are being delivered in early 2019, are they?


Do you think 789 will begin service out of YYC ?


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.