SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

eburress Jul 8, 2014 2:31 PM

There already weren't many places to work in San Diego and now another one bites the dust. Can't say I blame them either.

"California is minus one more company"

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne....html?page=all

tyleraf Jul 8, 2014 3:21 PM

Yea, I saw that last week. I'm so sick of Texas stealing all of our jobs.

eburress Jul 8, 2014 4:05 PM

What's bad is that these companies are choosing to leave. The problem is everything the state of California is doing to make doing business here so difficult.

tdavis Jul 8, 2014 5:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6645622)
Yea, I saw that last week. I'm so sick of Texas stealing all of our jobs.

Texas isn't "stealing" jobs. California has made it difficult to do business here.

I'm a mid-level manager at my firm, and our executive team notified us about a month ago that we were shutting down our San Diego headquarters and moving everything to Dallas.

We were given the option of moving or taking a severance package. Given that my spouse can't move because of her job I'm forced to leave a company I've worked at for 9 years.

Has anyone been to Dallas lately? It's a beautiful city, very clean, amazing arts/cultural district, world class airports, rail and other amenities which puts CA to shame. I had a preconceived notion that Dallas was all hickish, but it's very cosmopolitan, more so than San Diego. And just think, they don't have a state income tax, yet seem to have money for everything which indicates to me they clearly have the leadership and foresight to get things done.

eburress Jul 8, 2014 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdavis (Post 6645844)
Texas isn't "stealing" jobs. California has made it difficult to do business here.

I'm a mid-level manager at my firm, and our executive team notified us about a month ago that we were shutting down our San Diego headquarters and moving everything to Dallas.

We were given the option of moving or taking a severance package. Given that my spouse can't move because of her job I'm forced to leave a company I've worked at for 9 years.

Has anyone been to Dallas lately? It's a beautiful city, very clean, amazing arts/cultural district, world class airports, rail and other amenities which puts CA to shame. I had a preconceived notion that Dallas was all hickish, but it's very cosmopolitan, more so than San Diego. And just think, they don't have a state income tax, yet seem to have money for everything which indicates to me they clearly have the leadership and foresight to get things done.

It's funny you say that. Watch: http://vimeo.com/73523141

I just came back from Dallas and aside from the heat, it really is a great city. There's so much happening...so much momentum, there and in Houston and Austin too.

California needs to take notice of what Texas is doing because it's no accident that so many companies are leaving here for there.

Leo the Dog Jul 8, 2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6645622)
Yea, I saw that last week. I'm so sick of Texas stealing all of our jobs.

Business is like water. It will take the path of least resistance.

You can't blame Texas for having a better environment for business (and employees). You can however blame the whack jobs in Sacramento and local politicians driving business out.

tyleraf Jul 9, 2014 3:32 AM

I'm sorry stealing was a poor word choice. I'm just frustrated with the apathy in Sacramento as we lose countless jobs to Texas. I don't blame Texas, they just know that they can get high paying jobs and have exploited it. I just wish that the idiots in Sacramento would stop worrying about building trains to nowhere and make California business friendly again.

tyleraf Jul 9, 2014 4:05 AM

San Diego has made the short list for America's Cup. http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...s-cup-list-hp/

SDfan Jul 9, 2014 4:42 AM

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that a lot of this "leaving for Texas" stuff is hype. HYPE. The company that bought the three local techies had every intention of moving them to Texas when they signed the deal. They were going to leave regardless if California put up a fight for them or not.

I don't mean to be say California is the most business friendly state, but there are many reasons why people live, work, and vacation here. Texas is cheaper and has less regulatory burden, but it's also politically backwards, socially conservative, disregards its environment, and provides very little for its rapidly growing low wage workers and low income families. They can "poach" all the "high-wage" jobs they want, but their state isn't attractive to socially, morally, environmentally, and ethically conscious people. I hate CEQA, but I also hate pollution more. I dislike regulations against thoughtful development, but I dislike sprawling McMansions more. And I prefer living in an inclusive and progressive state, not one that promotes reparative therapy for LGBT youth, is blatantly racists against a growing Hispanic population, is against women's health, denies climate change and basic science, and sees guns as the solution to end all.

Texas is cool for Texans and companies who want to compromise their integrity for the almighty dollar. Also, good luck finding a large and well-educated workforce out there. I don't hear many people clamoring to move to Texas when they can get the same or better wages and benefits in SF, LA or SD. Those same "high-wage" earners, I bet, would rather stay put than move to that rodeo, no matter how "hip" Austin may be.

Dallas may be pretty. Houston may be growing. But there are serious problems with their economic and social inequalities that they will have to address sooner rather than later.

In just, I don't buy it and I won't shed a tear for anyone leaving the largest economy in union. For every company "lost," I can guarantee you three or more startups spring up. So take them. We have plenty.

SDCAL Jul 9, 2014 9:50 AM

I agree with a lot of what SDFan has written.

There needs to be balance, and while some may criticize California as being too "anti-business" there are also problems going overboard in the opposite direction. I would NEVER move to Texas because it compromises itself - and in-turn the health and welfare of its citizens - by putting business above all else including the environment, regulation, and public health.

Now reading about the specifics of this particular company, I think our inadequate airport played a role. THAT needs to be addressed, it's a huge minus for any company doing international business looking to move here or which is here now.

By the way, saw this article today:

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2014/jul/08...conomy-overta/

California overtakes Russia and Italy as 8th largest economy in the world.

We seem to be doing OK as an economic hub. I just don't buy the sky is falling argument coming from corporations who want zero regulation nor do I buy the argument that Texas's "business above everything else" model is right when it comes to quality of life or even economics.

dtell04 Jul 9, 2014 3:18 PM

Hello!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6646840)
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that a lot of this "leaving for Texas" stuff is hype. HYPE. The company that bought the three local techies had every intention of moving them to Texas when they signed the deal. They were going to leave regardless if California put up a fight for them or not.

I don't mean to be say California is the most business friendly state, but there are many reasons why people live, work, and vacation here. Texas is cheaper and has less regulatory burden, but it's also politically backwards, socially conservative, disregards its environment, and provides very little for its rapidly growing low wage workers and low income families. They can "poach" all the "high-wage" jobs they want, but their state isn't attractive to socially, morally, environmentally, and ethically conscious people. I hate CEQA, but I also hate pollution more. I dislike regulations against thoughtful development, but I dislike sprawling McMansions more. And I prefer living in an inclusive and progressive state, not one that promotes reparative therapy for LGBT youth, is blatantly racists against a growing Hispanic population, is against women's health, denies climate change and basic science, and sees guns as the solution to end all.

Texas is cool for Texans and companies who want to compromise their integrity for the almighty dollar. Also, good luck finding a large and well-educated workforce out there. I don't hear many people clamoring to move to Texas when they can get the same or better wages and benefits in SF, LA or SD. Those same "high-wage" earners, I bet, would rather stay put than move to that rodeo, no matter how "hip" Austin may be.

Dallas may be pretty. Houston may be growing. But there are serious problems with their economic and social inequalities that they will have to address sooner rather than later.


In just, I don't buy it and I won't shed a tear for anyone leaving the largest economy in union. For every company "lost," I can guarantee you three or more startups spring up. So take them. We have plenty.

Hi guys,
I've been following the thread for a while now but never posted. I like the debate going on. I know we are all entitled to our own opinion but you don't have it right about all Texans. I have a couple of good friends that own and manage a shipping business in Houston. They certainly didn't sacrifice their integrity when they agreed to take a pay cut so they could continue to pay the people that worked for them at the same wage because they all had families to support. I know a teacher and construction engineer that are definitely educated. I also know another lady that just graduated with her MBA a couple months ago. Please don't generalize like that and it might be time to cut back on the MSNBC.

eburress Jul 9, 2014 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtell04 (Post 6647277)
Hi guys,
I've been following the thread for a while now but never posted. I like the debate going on. I know we are all entitled to our own opinion but you don't have it right about all Texans. I have a couple of good friends that own and manage a shipping business in Houston. They certainly didn't sacrifice their integrity when they agreed to take a pay cut so they could continue to pay the people that worked for them at the same wage because they all had families to support. I know a teacher and construction engineer that are definitely educated. I also know another lady that just graduated with her MBA a couple months ago. Please don't generalize like that and it might be time to cut back on the MSNBC.

Great points. SDfan has some good/solid points, but many of the points are dramatic over-generalizations or just plain inaccurate. At the end of the day, companies are still leaving California...that's quantifiable and objectively accurate...and it's something CA needs to address.

San Diego in particular has some soul searching to do, because as it is I can't imagine how people are going to be able to keep buying these ridiculously expensive homes, how they're going to keep this bubble from popping, when there isn't anywhere to work.

SDCAL Jul 9, 2014 5:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 6647446)
Great points. SDfan has some good/solid points, but many of the points are dramatic over-generalizations or just plain inaccurate. At the end of the day, companies are still leaving California...that's quantifiable and objectively accurate...and it's something CA needs to address.

San Diego in particular has some soul searching to do, because as it is I can't imagine how people are going to be able to keep buying these ridiculously expensive homes, how they're going to keep this bubble from popping, when there isn't anywhere to work.

What I'm interested in is a reliable, objective statistical analysis or some reliable data that shows California as a whole is becoming less economically viable as an economic engine due to what some feel are too many regulations or taxes on businesses.

I just posted something above where we are the 8th largest economy in the world. Where does Texas rank?

Anecdotal stories about different companies that decide to leave are not sufficient proof that our government somehow makes us less economically viable as a whole than another state governments with fewer regulations or less taxes.

It may be true when you look at certain sectors, but again I say we have to look at this as a whole.

For example, Both SD and SF are huge biotech hubs - we have the education/universities that specialize in this, we have the talent pool, and I read about expansions in this sector locally all the time. I never hear about a biotech company leaving CA to go to Texas.

Texas is an oil and energy hub, we won't see many of those migrating our way.

So I think it's a give and take scenario, and one that varies with different industries.

SDfan Jul 10, 2014 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtell04 (Post 6647277)
Hi guys,
I've been following the thread for a while now but never posted. I like the debate going on. I know we are all entitled to our own opinion but you don't have it right about all Texans. I have a couple of good friends that own and manage a shipping business in Houston. They certainly didn't sacrifice their integrity when they agreed to take a pay cut so they could continue to pay the people that worked for them at the same wage because they all had families to support. I know a teacher and construction engineer that are definitely educated. I also know another lady that just graduated with her MBA a couple months ago. Please don't generalize like that and it might be time to cut back on the MSNBC.

I don't have cable, so MSNBC is off of my radar, but thank you for assuming I only rely upon kool-aide news outlets. ;)

I have no doubt that most Texans are nice, and welcoming. And I'm sure they enjoy their lives in their special state. But there is a difference between their state's ideology on critical social and economic issues compared to that of most Californians, and the nation. That's not a problem if you don't care about those issues. But, as conscious citizen, I do.

So if an individual wants to move their business to Texas to save their employees from the burdensome nanny state that California has become, that's well and good. I'm not sure how relocating and upending whole families, taking a pay cut, and moving to a increasingly radicalized tax haven is doing right, but hey, to each their own?

I guess this comes down to more than dollars for me, personally. Texas works for Texas, and for the people and companies who are willing to compromise for it. Just as we all compromise with California on the other end of it all. I just don't see the end of California because we aren't Texas.

We shouldn't be fretting over this issue, nor should we be comparing ourselves to a state reliant on oil money (unsustainable), supply-side tax philosophy (proven failed fiscal policy), low-wage growth (income inequality), social conservatism (against history), and paying companies to marquee their names on skyscrapers in their cities (*yawn* non-issue).

And if it seems to anyone that I'm be a little "dramatic" it's because I'm either A) not agreeing with your sky is falling mentality (who's being over dramatic again?) or B) you don't understand that these are real issues to consider outside of "blah blah California sucks, we lost [insert name of company], because Sacramento and stealing jobs and Dallas is pretty and ..."

Also, welcome to the forum :cheers:

SDfan Jul 10, 2014 1:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 6647446)
Great points. SDfan has some good/solid points, but many of the points are dramatic over-generalizations or just plain inaccurate. At the end of the day, companies are still leaving California...that's quantifiable and objectively accurate...and it's something CA needs to address.

San Diego in particular has some soul searching to do, because as it is I can't imagine how people are going to be able to keep buying these ridiculously expensive homes, how they're going to keep this bubble from popping, when there isn't anywhere to work.

Wow, you really are playing the kettle to my pot aren't you?

"...I can't imagine how people are going to be able to keep buying these ridiculously expensive homes, how they're going to keep this bubble from popping, when there isn't anywhere to work.

I mean... ?

Anyways, San Diego has some serious housing issues, but if you look at some of the most successful cities around the world, there are a hell of a lot more expensive and unaffordable places out there than this little hamlet. Hong Kong. New York. San Francisco. You really think San Diego is going to lose population, jobs, and have a lower quality of life when compared to cities like those, our housing market is a steal? Haha, okay!

But that's when Texas is supposed to come in and ruin us, right? As far as I can tell they may have taken the US headquarters of Toyota, but they don't have Apple, Google, Qualcomm, or are remotely close to replicating Silicon Valley, SD's biotech cluster, the institutions of higher learning and research, or the desirable cities and lifestyles to attract, build and keep the workforce needed to create a 21st century economy.

Why do you think these states are so desperate to take what we have? Because they can't build it on their own. They wouldn't pay for the education, the programs, the policies - so they go in and beg for others to set up shop by bribing them with millions of taxpayer dollars (paaaaraaaadooox).

So crunch the numbers, please. Pull out the crystal ball and let me know when I can expect California to become the badlands it's destined to be. As far as I'm concerned it all seems a little... dramatic.

:cheers:

tyleraf Jul 10, 2014 5:08 AM

Jonathan Segal is starting a new project in Hillcrest! http://www.sandiegostreets.com/2014/...w-development/

spoonman Jul 10, 2014 5:51 AM

New hotel downtown in Cortez Hill - 18 floors

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...d-in-downtown/

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...b-photo1379950

Derek Jul 10, 2014 6:22 AM

"Planned more than 6 years ago"


I thought it looked familiar.

tyleraf Jul 10, 2014 6:28 AM

I'm glad to hear that 719 ash will finally rise. It's a nice design and it will fit in well on Cortez Hill.

LosAngelesDreamin Jul 10, 2014 9:38 AM

And California still has Los Angeles.. the world's capitol for entertainment... i highly doubt that will go away.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.