SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

SD_Phil Jul 21, 2011 5:18 AM

^I walk by that all the time and although there's a rendering it just says it's retail space without naming the retailer(s)

Derek Jul 21, 2011 7:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD_Phil (Post 5353511)
^I walk by that all the time and although there's a rendering it just says it's retail space without naming the retailer(s)

Oh. Just curious. :)


Thanks!

kpexpress Jul 21, 2011 12:15 PM

saw SOM's presentation for our new state courthouse last night. it is going to be a sick building! working on images to share. completion date 2015, start date sept 2012. i was super impressed!

mongoXZ Jul 21, 2011 3:04 PM

:previous:

Is the plan you're taking about the one where they'll tear down the old state courthouse (on Broadway?) and build the new one on the same location?

tyleraf Jul 21, 2011 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5353642)
saw SOM's presentation for our new state courthouse last night. it is going to be a sick building! working on images to share. completion date 2015, start date sept 2012. i was super impressed!

What is its height supposed to be?

eburress Jul 21, 2011 5:33 PM

Maybe this is common knowledge and I've just missed all the discussion, but this struck me as funny. Manchester can't get anything done out here in California (like so many others) so he decides to pick up his toys and head to Texas (like so many others).

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=192117

BigCityDave Jul 21, 2011 8:58 PM

They are building two retail spaces next to Urban Outfitters. One is leased by Snooze A.M. Eatery.

mongoXZ Jul 22, 2011 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 5354027)
Maybe this is common knowledge and I've just missed all the discussion, but this struck me as funny. Manchester can't get anything done out here in California (like so many others) so he decides to pick up his toys and head to Texas (like so many others).


Manchester is a developer. Developers develop anywhere they want. Just like Canadian BOSA building a dozen condos in SD. Nothing special there.:shrug:

HurricaneHugo Jul 22, 2011 1:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 5354027)
Maybe this is common knowledge and I've just missed all the discussion, but this struck me as funny. Manchester can't get anything done out here in California (like so many others) so he decides to pick up his toys and head to Texas (like so many others).

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=192117

I would love a building like that here. :(

laguna Jul 22, 2011 4:35 AM

Texas created 37% of the total jobs in the whole country last year. The businesses move where the regulation is lower and the private economy is encouraged not punished with high taxes and government largess. California has the climate but that doesnt sustain a vibrant economy.

staplesla Jul 22, 2011 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laguna (Post 5354764)
Texas created 37% of the total jobs in the whole country last year. The businesses move where the regulation is lower and the private economy is encouraged not punished with high taxes and government largess. California has the climate but that doesnt sustain a vibrant economy.

My company recently moved it's headquarters from San Diego to Dallas due to the cheaper cost of doing business there. Most employees were relocated.

eburress Jul 22, 2011 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 5354542)
Manchester is a developer. Developers develop anywhere they want. Just like Canadian BOSA building a dozen condos in SD. Nothing special there.:shrug:

Oh sure...no doubt about that. Being familiar with Manchester's local struggles though, and the speed and ease with which this Austin tower appears to be happening, it just strikes me as funny.

kpexpress Jul 22, 2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 5353936)
What is its height supposed to be?

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...xpress42/1.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...xpress42/2.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...xpress42/3.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...xpress42/4.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...xpress42/5.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...xpress42/6.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...xpress42/7.jpg
All images are from SOM SF.

They will demo the old ugly county courthouse on Front and Broadway which will open new development opportunities. After the jail is demo'ed a new park - Civic Square Park - will be built on C and Front.

mongoXZ Jul 22, 2011 10:50 PM

Impressive indeed. SOM always puts out some good eye catchers. Too bad it'll be hard to see it from a distance given its location in a dense spot.

Thanks kpexpress for posting the pics. All this irrelevant "Texas is a cheap place!" talk was beginning to get out of hand.

Dale Jul 23, 2011 2:52 AM

I'm guessing at least 350'.

kpexpress Jul 23, 2011 4:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 5355908)
I'm guessing at least 350'.

I thought I heard them say 400' tall. I hope it's not shorter than that. Somewhere between 350'-400' would be acceptable, and hope they don't chop off three floors like they did with the federal courthouse.

kpexpress Jul 23, 2011 4:17 AM

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...xpress42/g.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...xpress42/f.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...xpress42/e.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...xpress42/d.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...xpress42/c.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...xpress42/b.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...xpress42/a.jpg

tyleraf Jul 23, 2011 4:58 PM

Wow! SOM never fails to impress. I'm glad it is tall enough to make an impact on the skyline too.

tommaso Jul 23, 2011 8:43 PM

With the S.D. central courthouse being built, I can tell S.D. is maturing. :) That is really excellent news for downtown. I hope this news is a precursor for more good things to come :) As beautiful as this design is, I believe that the impact on the skyline is an extraordinary accomplishment.

HurricaneHugo Jul 25, 2011 2:32 AM

Make it a clean 400'. :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.