SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek Jan 1, 2010 9:32 AM

No fucking fireworks over the bay? Fucking environmentalists. What the fuck is next?

staplesla Jan 1, 2010 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 4630695)
No fucking fireworks over the bay? Fucking environmentalists. What the fuck is next?

All they had to do was file the appropriate permit and the fireworks would have gone forward, but they chose not to stating there wasn't enough time. But if they really wanted to move forward strings could have been pulled to get the appropriate people to sign off. I may not like it either, but the laws on the books have to be followed, and they didn't follow them.

HurricaneHugo Jan 1, 2010 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 4630695)
No fucking fireworks over the bay? Fucking environmentalists. What the fuck is next?

Seriously?

Good thing I ended up going to the Gaslamp instead.

Derek Jan 2, 2010 8:35 AM

If it weren't for all the goddamn hippies here shit like that wouldn't even happen in the first place.



Yes I'm a little annoyed. I think it's the weather. The weather here fucking sucks.

dl3000 Jan 2, 2010 4:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdavis (Post 4628318)
No where does it say that the SD stadium would cost over a billion, that's just your own speculation. As a project engineer I deal with these projects on a daily basis and it's just ridiculous to state numbers like this as fact. There is no way with the scaling down this stadium will need due to space constraints that it will cost more than the Cowboys stadium.

I didn't say that article was where I had read it. That article was a correction of my previous statement that confirmed the 700 or 800M number that was tossed around but apparently you didn't notice. I still say I read over a billion somewhere, but it could have been another forum member for all I know. This forum is all about speculation if you haven't noticed. I said I read the number somewhere, I did not assert myself as some sort of an expert. It's conversation on a discussion board, take it easy.

By the way, construction costs being what they are, I would not be surprised if it was more than a billion.
DISCLAIMER: THAT IS MY OPINION. THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ESTIMATE, I AM NO EXPERT. I PROBABLY READ 1.3 ON SSC OR SOMETHING. THOSE WHO HAPPENED TO BE SWAYED BY WHAT I WRITE HERE (NOBODY), TAKE NONE OF WHAT I SAY AS FACT UNLESS I AM WORKING ON THE PROJECT.

staplesla Jan 2, 2010 7:48 PM

I agree though with tdavis. You have to be careful when you speculate as some people take it as fact if you don't state it is just your speculation. Your comment "Well we're looking at $1.3+ billion for the whole facility" just isn't factual at this moment in time when projections are still being finalized.

dl3000 Jan 3, 2010 4:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 4631925)
I agree though with tdavis. You have to be careful when you speculate as some people take it as fact if you don't state it is just your speculation. Your comment "Well we're looking at $1.3+ billion for the whole facility" just isn't factual at this moment in time when projections are still being finalized.

Right but I followed it up with the fact that I had simply recalled reading it from somewhere. I didn't say I was involved in the project in any way. I didn't even back it up with an official source, and the source I did post was to correct myself and support the assertions of others including yourself. Right then, I believe it's settled or else we'll go in circles like we are already.

So in more relevant news, anybody know what MTS is up to with regard to decontaminating the site? I know there was some dispute about who was responsible and whether or not they had to do anything so has that been resolved?

alasi Jan 3, 2010 11:51 PM

Interesting that the pro=stadium crowd is sensitive to misinformation being passed around, but they see nothing wrong with Hurricane Hugo scenario of the stadium costing only 50 million to the tax payers. Sorry guys, but that is not grounded in fact. However, i agree that at present no one knows what this will cost because:
(1) The cost of clean-up of the site nor has the party responsible for the clean up has been determined; (2) no MOU(wemorandum of understanding) have been developed that commit any parties to fiscal arrangements; and (3) no actual proposals have been put on the table.

So, all this mental angst is unnnecessary until we get some real facts. By the way, $50 million is something when you are already facing a $96 million deficit.

bmfarley Jan 4, 2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alasi (Post 4633105)
Interesting that the pro=stadium crowd is sensitive to misinformation being passed around, but they see nothing wrong with Hurricane Hugo scenario of the stadium costing only 50 million to the tax payers. Sorry guys, but that is not grounded in fact. However, i agree that at present no one knows what this will cost because:
(1) The cost of clean-up of the site nor has the party responsible for the clean up has been determined; (2) no MOU(wemorandum of understanding) have been developed that commit any parties to fiscal arrangements; and (3) no actual proposals have been put on the table.

So, all this mental angst is unnnecessary until we get some real facts. By the way, $50 million is something when you are already facing a $96 million deficit.

All arm-chair economist and project estimators should consider the additional cost of relocating existing uses... a la the transit yard. That will not be cheap.

sandiegodweller Jan 4, 2010 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4633148)
All arm-chair economist and project estimators should consider the additional cost of relocating existing uses... a la the transit yard. That will not be cheap.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...nt-come-cheap/


The downtown site eyed by the Chargers sits partially on a contaminated metropolitan bus yard. CCDC Chairman Fred Maas said estimates to clean the site and relocate the bus yard reached $100 million several years ago.

“The costs are so significant, it’s hard for any private-sector entity to come here and make that kind of expenditure,” he said. “They’re not just buying a land asset. They’re buying a host of problems.”

HurricaneHugo Jan 5, 2010 3:15 AM

OK but has anybody said that the city will pay for that?

It would make sense that the Chargers pay for that...

dl3000 Jan 5, 2010 5:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 4633969)
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...nt-come-cheap/


The downtown site eyed by the Chargers sits partially on a contaminated metropolitan bus yard. CCDC Chairman Fred Maas said estimates to clean the site and relocate the bus yard reached $100 million several years ago.

“The costs are so significant, it’s hard for any private-sector entity to come here and make that kind of expenditure,” he said. “They’re not just buying a land asset. They’re buying a host of problems.”

Yeah thats what I'm thinking about. Who's gonna do it?

bmfarley Jan 6, 2010 5:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dl3000 (Post 4635400)
Yeah thats what I'm thinking about. Who's gonna do it?

And... certainly not the transit system. They had no plans to move and make un-necessary improvements and cleanup... did they? So, it stands to reason that who ever is proposing a change.. be responsible for whatever cost that is.

kpexpress Jan 6, 2010 8:24 AM

medical pot

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ent-committee/

MikeM Jan 7, 2010 9:28 PM

Permit, Schermitt
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 4630934)
All they had to do was file the appropriate permit and the fireworks would have gone forward, but they chose not to stating there wasn't enough time. But if they really wanted to move forward strings could have been pulled to get the appropriate people to sign off. I may not like it either, but the laws on the books have to be followed, and they didn't follow them.

Ok, so there are fire and life-safety issues but as someone who grew up and was educated overseas before coming to the "Land of the free" I have never seen a place that required so many permits and has so many people telling you what to do and how to do it. :cool:

PadreHomer Jan 7, 2010 11:39 PM

So the parking lot at Market and 7th has been blocked off, there's a backhoe on the lot and they were putting up a fence around it this morning. Anyone know what's going on there?

It was the one that was originally park it on market south, then some skyscraper project that fell through.

S.DviaPhilly Jan 8, 2010 2:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PadreHomer (Post 4639662)
So the parking lot at Market and 7th has been blocked off, there's a backhoe on the lot and they were putting up a fence around it this morning. Anyone know what's going on there?

It was the one that was originally park it on market south, then some skyscraper project that fell through.

From the CCDC website..............

Located in downtown San Diego's East Village neighborhood.

Block bounded by Market Street, Seventh, Eighth and Island avenues

The proposed project consists of parking lot demolition, excavation, shoring, environmental remediation, and parking lot reconstruction of a portion of the Redevelopment Agency-owned block. Project funding will come from a $1.5 million State of California Orphan Site Cleanup SubAccount (OSCA) Grant and private settlement agreement funds.

Derek Jan 8, 2010 4:55 AM

Yay more parking lots!

eburress Jan 8, 2010 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 4639402)
Ok, so there are fire and life-safety issues but as someone who grew up and was educated overseas before coming to the "Land of the free" I have never seen a place that required so many permits and has so many people telling you what to do and how to do it. :cool:

That's California for you. Not everywhere in the "Land of the Free" is like that. :)

HurricaneHugo Jan 9, 2010 4:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.DviaPhilly (Post 4639974)
From the CCDC website..............

Located in downtown San Diego's East Village neighborhood.

Block bounded by Market Street, Seventh, Eighth and Island avenues

The proposed project consists of parking lot demolition, excavation, shoring, environmental remediation, and parking lot reconstruction of a portion of the Redevelopment Agency-owned block. Project funding will come from a $1.5 million State of California Orphan Site Cleanup SubAccount (OSCA) Grant and private settlement agreement funds.

wtf

what's the point in that...


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.