SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

thurmas Sep 12, 2020 1:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9039131)
Last night’s NFL season kickoff game between Kansas City and Houston has set a new record for most-watched Thursday Night Football season opener, attracting an average audience of 904,000 viewers to @CTV and @TSN_Sports, an increase of +15% over last year. https://t.co/3Py7NiWpvg

Via @TSN_PR

Likely due to a bump in Western Canadian interest with no CFL this year and the labour day classics gone this is the only football to see. In the U.S. the NFL game from last night was down 13% compared to last year. I tried watching a bit of the Chiefs game yesterday but with so few fans allowed into Arrowhead the lack of fan energy without full stands really makes NFL boring to watch and real lack of energy to get excited.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-opener-on-nbc

Acajack Sep 12, 2020 12:42 PM

I guess I can see how posting about NFL ratings is informative and in keeping with the spirit of this thread, but I don't really get why some of the postsare celebratory.

"Woo-hoo! 4 million Canadians watched the final episode of American Idol or Temptation Island! Hooray for us!"

Berklon Sep 12, 2020 1:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9039610)
I guess I can see how posting about NFL ratings is informative and in keeping with the spirit of this thread, but I don't really get why some of the postsare celebratory.

"Woo-hoo! 4 million Canadians watched the final episode of American Idol or Temptation Island! Hooray for us!"

There's a lot of that in this thread already for other sports/leagues, no?

Acajack Sep 12, 2020 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 9039617)
There's a lot of that in this thread already for other sports/leagues, no?

At least in those other cases it's for leagues that have at least one team in Canada. And the ratings people refer to (gloat about) involve those teams.

esquire Sep 12, 2020 4:50 PM

Ratings for damn near everything must be up across the board this year, no? In the past I haven't typically watched much TV apart from Jets and CFL games as well as the news, but I sure as hell have been watching a lot more TV in 2020...

Berklon Sep 12, 2020 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9039738)
At least in those other cases it's for leagues that have at least one team in Canada. And the ratings people refer to (gloat about) involve those teams.

Why does that matter? I like that something I'm interested in is doing well.

thurmas Sep 13, 2020 2:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9039782)
Ratings for damn near everything must be up across the board this year, no? In the past I haven't typically watched much TV apart from Jets and CFL games as well as the news, but I sure as hell have been watching a lot more TV in 2020...

I have been the opposite I have lost so much interest in sports the past few months with CFL cancelled this year and NHL and NBA playoffs with no fans has been terrible to watch and so much venom in the news day after day, the polarization of social justice issues in sports so much now and the hyper political correctness. I wanted sports as a distraction from the news but it has turned into a political circus. Ratings for team sports are plummeting in the U.S in Canada other than the Raptors playoff run I am not sure any sports have seen a surge in ratings in Canada but the ratings data in Canada is very sporadic.

Acajack Sep 13, 2020 3:05 AM

Quote:

With cooler weatherI think things may be posed to take off in terms of TV sports viewing and the timing for the NFL is optimal for them, but for the NHL in Canada I don't think it was that great as the series involving our teams coincided with nice summertime weather. Now that people might be more interested none of our teams are in it anymore.

esquire Sep 13, 2020 2:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9040124)
With cooler weatherI think things may be posed to take off in terms of TV sports viewing and the timing for the NFL is optimal for them, but for the NHL in Canada I don't think it was that great as the series involving our teams coincided with nice summertime weather. Now that people might be more interested none of our teams are in it anymore.

Fair enough. Normally there is a noticeable playoff frenzy in Winnipeg but there was nothing of the sort this year. I guess enthusiasm was a bit lower given that it was a bit of a cold start after months of inaction, and there were no get-togethers at bars or street parties. But that said, interest was still generally pretty high...

JHikka Sep 13, 2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

TV was certainly up in the March-May window but I imagine it'd be about the same now as people picked up updoor activities and summer hit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack
but for the NHL in Canada I don't think it was that great as the series involving our teams coincided with nice summertime weather. Now that people might be more interested none of our teams are in it anymore.

The NHL can't really control how deep Canadian teams get into the playoffs. In fact, you could argue that the NHL's expanded format for this year's playoffs included more Canadian teams than otherwise would have been included in a normal season.

Acajack Sep 14, 2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9040620)
The NHL can't really control how deep Canadian teams get into the playoffs. In fact, you could argue that the NHL's expanded format for this year's playoffs included more Canadian teams than otherwise would have been included in a normal season.

Both true.

Though it's also true that the NHL would have benefited more from a Stanley Cup tournament that either took place in the late spring and early summer. Or maybe by waiting until the fall. Neither of which may have been feasible, I realize. (Especially option 1.)

As it stands now they will be overshadowed by the NFL stateside whereas the Stanley Cup final usually takes places at a pretty good time in the U.S. in terms of what the NHL has to compete with.

And in Canada itself due to a variety of factors* I wouldn't be surprised if NFL ratings this early fall don't equal or even surpass some of the NHL ratings.

*No CFL so Canadian gridiron fans are all looking for a fix; NFL scheduling predictability vs. that of the NHL, etc.

suburbanite Sep 14, 2020 1:12 PM

With Canadian teams out, the NHL is set for the lowest Stanley Cup Final ratings in over a decade. Football will probably even wreak havoc on NBA ratings in the coming weeks.

jonny24 Sep 14, 2020 1:17 PM

I've decided to (try to) follow the Bills this year in absence of any CFL.

I say try to, because I've tried before to get into NFL and failed. Mostly because I have no connection to any of the teams, but I also find it a bit lacking compared to CFL football.

I got a DAZN subscription though, no idea if those views would count towards any TV rating? $20 a month which is the same as TSN, although all the rugby leagues have wrapped up so maybe I won't keep it. If they get the fall international 8 Nations that would be worth paying for.

Side note, I thought CTV was free? They wanted a Bell account login to let me watch the NFL game. Why lock me out online if I could, in theory, get it for free with an antenna?

Acajack Sep 14, 2020 1:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 9040933)
With Canadian teams out, the NHL is set for the lowest Stanley Cup Final ratings in over a decade. Football will probably even wreak havoc on NBA ratings in the coming weeks.

I guess when you refer to Stanley Cup "Final" you mean the playoffs? Because Canadian teams have only made the final four times since 2000. And none have made it since 2011. So it's not as if Canada was making a big impact there of late.

Other than that, I think we're making the same point.

As an aside, I am not really into NCAA news so is their football going to be happening this fall? If not, then the NFL will make an even bigger killing in terms of TV ratings.

Berklon Sep 14, 2020 1:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny24 (Post 9040936)
Side note, I thought CTV was free? They wanted a Bell account login to let me watch the NFL game. Why lock me out online if I could, in theory, get it for free with an antenna?

Yea, they do that. I guess their defense is that it costs them money to stream, so they'll only give it to people who have at least a basic package to a cable/satellite provider.

It's kind of annoying anyway as it's at least 1 minute behind the live event, and can be as long as 3 or 4 minutes behind. Not great if you're following the game on social media or something.

I'd recommend just getting a cheap indoor antenna with a VHF element - that's what I do.

suburbanite Sep 14, 2020 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9040938)
I guess when you refer to Stanley Cup "Final" you mean the playoffs? Because Canadian teams have only made the final four times since 2000. And none have made it since 2011. So it's not as if Canada was making a big impact there of late.

Other than that, I think we're making the same point.

Canadian teams have only made the finals four times... in June. I meant that a Canadian team would'be been more resilient to a ratings hit in the current climate. A Texas/Florida matchup would be less than desirable in normal times. In September it's a death sentence.

jonny24 Sep 14, 2020 3:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 9040980)

I'd recommend just getting a cheap indoor antenna with a VHF element - that's what I do.

I've looked into that before but didn't get very far - any recommendations?

Acajack Sep 14, 2020 3:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 9040989)
Canadian teams have only made the finals four times... in June. I meant that a Canadian team would'be been more resilient to a ratings hit in the current climate. A Texas/Florida matchup would be less than desirable in normal times. In September it's a death sentence.

Oh, a Canadian team in the final this year would have been great for ratings. In Canada and probably even overall in terms of eyeballs watching it.

With this context and timing I don't think even a large U.S. market in the Stanley Cup final would lead to more total viewers than, say, the Vancouver Canucks being it. And let's not even mention Montreal or Toronto...

yveseluj Sep 14, 2020 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9040107)
...the polarization of social justice issues in sports so much now and the hyper political correctness.

Imagine thinking the intertwining of social justice causes and sports is happening "so much now" as if it hasn't always been there. Sports have always been political. If you're just noticing it now, you haven't been paying attention.

http://www.milwaukeeindependent.com/...ietname_01.jpg

elly63 Sep 14, 2020 3:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny24 (Post 9041075)
I've looked into that before but didn't get very far - any recommendations?

Right up my alley. First, if possible, use an outdoor antenna for the best possible outcome. If that's not possible some indoor antenna and setups are better than others. If you have a house, installing in the attic is the best option, if you live in an apartment and are unable to install an antenna outside, the options are fewer. There are flat adaptor cables that will allow you to put an antenna cable under a window (or door) to allow the antenna to be outside. Or you can have an indoor antenna but you will be severely limiting your range.

Some antenna makers make outlandish claims of 150 mile reception and try to sell junk antennas. With an indoor antenna, you'll see some makers claim 60 miles, 20-30 miles may be more realistic.

This excellent YouTube channel will give you chapter and verse on what to buy and what not to buy.

Here are two recommendations
ClearStream 4Max VHF/UHF Indoor/Outdoor HD TV Antenna Review
Mohu Leaf Supreme Pro Indoor Amplified HD TV Antenna Review

If the second option is what best suits your circumstances make sure to get that exact model, other flat antennas are often junk.

I recommend watching both videos (beginning to end) as he will give information in both about what not to buy as well and other helpful hints.