SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

NYC GUY Dec 15, 2012 11:53 PM

I'm gonna assume the base facade will be stone cause usually Nordstrom's have these beige facades and the top will look contemporary.

NYguy Dec 16, 2012 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYC GUY (Post 5939534)
I'm gonna assume the base facade will be stone cause usually Nordstrom's have these beige facades and the top will look contemporary.

Here's a version of the store that was being planned for the east side...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 5811103)
here's a proposal from one of Nordstrom's many earlier attempts to build in Manhattan...

http://massforma.com/arch/nordstrom-tower/

Nordstrom Tower

Alfred Huang was the Senior Designer responsible for the schematic design and planning for the project. This mixed use proposal was an attempt to bring retail giant Nordstrom into Midtown Manhattan. Situated on the prominent retail corridor of Madison Avenue, the the seven story podium animates the streetscape, adding 280,000 square feet (26,000 square meters) of exciting retail opportunities. The project takes full advantage of the zoning envelope as it rises to 670 feet (200 meters) above the retail podium with typical office floors at 22,500 square feet (2,100 square meters). The design accounts for existing MTA Metro North railroad underground by offsetting tower infrastructure and generating a dynamic interlocking of programs and services.

Alfred Huang designed the project in 2008 while employed with Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5204/...6dc29cfa_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5022/...2cd4a440_b.jpg

JDRCRASH Dec 16, 2012 7:48 PM

Oh my, that is SEXY. :slob:
Shame it didn't get built.

599GTO Dec 16, 2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don098 (Post 5939036)
I know I'll be in the minority when I say this, but I'm sorry, that just looks ridiculous. It's completely, utterly out of scale with the rest of the skyline. It'd look much better if they lopped at least 300 feet off of it. It's going to look out of place.

Empire State Building also looked "ridiculous" and "out of place" when it went up.

I hope it's taller than depicted in the mockup renderings provided in the last page. 1,800ft please.

Dale Dec 16, 2012 11:31 PM

Yes! 1,550 is weak! :cool:

Duck From NY Dec 17, 2012 4:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 599GTO (Post 5940428)
Empire State Building also looked "ridiculous" and "out of place" when it went up.

I hope it's taller than depicted in the mockup renderings provided in the last page. 1,800ft please.

The Woolworth Building totally ruined Lower Manhattan's skyline.

http://www.nycvintageimages.com/site...nyc-1529_0.jpg

http://www.nycvintageimages.com/cata...onic-buildings

aquablue Dec 17, 2012 5:46 AM

Apparently this tower will be designed by Adrian Smith of Burj Dubai/Jin Mao/Kingdom Tower fame, according to an article posted on SSC by Mr. Robert W.

The Jin Mao is a very nice tower and so is the Kingdom Tower. However, we probably won't be getting anything extremely creative or out of the box from the likes of Adrian compared to Herzog de Meuron or Zaha Hadid types, which is fine with me as long as it is super modern.

-Filipe- Dec 17, 2012 1:35 PM

Oh im happy there designing it same architect for the willis tower and the trump international hotel or whatever the name is, cant wait to see the design

pico44 Dec 17, 2012 1:42 PM

Shoot. I'm not happy about Adrian Smith designing this tower. I'd rather have David Childs over him.

Bummer

Crawford Dec 17, 2012 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pico44 (Post 5940974)
Shoot. I'm not happy about Adrian Smith designing this tower. I'd rather have David Childs over him.

Bummer

Adrian Smith would also not be my first choice.

He's designed lots of supertalls in Asia, so he certainly has the technical skills, but I would want someone with a bit more artistic flair.

But I'm still pretty damn excited. Can't wait to see a rendering, and hope it's 1700 ft. or more, with a dramatic pinnacle.

miesian Dec 17, 2012 3:31 PM

So I guess Nordstrom wanted hard-edged international corporate glitz. Check out the ASGG website for a sampler. It could work......:shrug:

NYguy Dec 17, 2012 6:32 PM

Been a little groggy, but this news wakes me right up..

http://observer.com/2012/12/gary-bar...ment-building/

Gary Barnett Taps Architect of World’s Tallest Tower to Design NYC’s Tallest Apartment Building

By Matt Chaban
December 17, 2012

Quote:

There had been rumors that Gary Barnett had tapped Swiss starchitects and downtown darlings Herzog & de Meuron to design his supertall skyscraper at the corner of 57th Street and Broadway, but now The Journal reports that Adrian Smith is the architect for 225 West 57th Street. The bigger surprise, literally, may be that the 1,550-foot height for the Extell tower, which The Observer previously reported, may just be a starting point.

This wouldn’t be the first time Mr. Barnett has jacked up the height of one of his buildings. His One57 tower was listed in building permits as reaching 953 feet with 73 stories, but the finished building tops 1,005 feet with 90 stories.

Whether this could produce a 1,600-foot tower (or taller) remains to be seen, but one thing Mr. Barnett previously told The Observer he will not be pursuing is a spire, a common tactic used to push building heights further into the stratosphere, as is the case at 1 World Trade Center. There, the building is 1,368 feet, matching that of its historic predecessor, while a 408-foot mast pushes the building to the symbolic height of 1,776 feet.

On a side note, Mr. Barnett said it was his partner in the project, Nordstroms—which will anchor the bottom six floors of the tower with its first New York City outpost—that suggest Mr. Smith. A former partner at SOM’s Chicago office, the deisnger is best known for the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, the world’s tallest tower that reaches some 2,717 feet, more than a mile high. The tower has a spread of apartments on the upper floors that help it lay claim to the world’s tallest apartments, as well.

Another of Mr. Smith’s prominent commissions is the tallest residential tower in Chicago, and this hemisphere, and the city’s second biggest building, the Trump International Hotel and Tower, which reaches 1,389 feet (thanks to spire, of course—the roofline is at 1,170 feet).

And so the fight for the city’s tallest apartment tower continues.

Last year, New York by Gehry surpassed another Trump confection, the World Tower near the U.N., by 16 feet. The Bruce Ratner-built building usurped the crown held for a decade with its rippling metal curves stretching 876 feet into the air. When Mr. Barnett’s One57 opens next year, it will top 1,005, but CIM and Harry Macklowe’s fast-rising 432 Park will be far bigger, in a year or two, even surpassing the Trump Chicago tower, at 1,397 feet, arguably becoming the biggest building in New York. Until Mr. Barnett finishes 225 West 57th Street, of course. Or until something even bigger comes along.

http://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.c...er_chicago.jpg

http://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.c...er_chicago.jpg

Extell's Chief Thinking Tall For Midtown

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/i...1216171803.jpg

By Elliot Brown
December 16, 2012

Quote:

Gary Barnett, one of New York's leading developers, is planning a new Midtown skyscraper that could rise 300 feet higher than the Empire State Building, and he's has hired the architect who designed the world's tallest tower. Mr. Barnett said in an interview that his Extell Development Co. has tapped Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture LLP to design an apartment tower atop the city's first Nordstrom Inc. Jepartment store. New York-based Extell is aiming high: Last month, the company filed a permit application to build a 1,550-foot tower on the site just east of Broadway between 57th and 58th streets. While the precise height could easily change—Mr. Barnett said plans were very preliminary—the developer is clearly gearing up to build one of the tallest towers in the city, and one that would offer sweeping views of Central Park a block to the north. Of course, any groundbreaking is still quite a ways off and Extell needs to line up crucial construction financing. But Mr. Barnett said: "It's going to be a tall building."

Plans for the building are moving forward at a time that a new type of skyscraper is beginning to emerge on the Manhattan skyline. For decades, office towers accounted for most of the towers built more than 600 feet high, while top residential apartments were generally found in low-slung Upper East Side cooperatives. But now a handful of developers are building very tall, slender luxury residential towers, betting that the wealthy will pay for great views.

Mr. Barnett, currently one of the city's most prolific developers, has been on the vanguard of this change. A few blocks east of the Nordstrom tower site on 57th Street, Mr. Barnett is building One57, a 1,004-foot tower. Extell has said two buyers have agreed to pay more than $90 million for penthouse apartments there, which would be a record price. On 57th Street and Park Avenue, CIM Group and developer Harry Macklowe are building an approximately 1,395-foot condo tower with a waffle-like exterior. "As with all skyscrapers, it's the economics that makes them possible, and it's a strong market," says Carol Willis, founding director of the Lower Manhattan-based Skyscraper Museum. "People who are willing to pay a great deal—millions and tens of millions for apartments in the sky—there's a market for that."

Extell chose Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture for the 57th Street tower after considering a number of avant-garde architects for the project. Those included Swiss designers Herzog & de Meuron, and New York-based SHoP Architects, one of the designers of the new Barclays Center arena in Brooklyn, according to people briefed on the selection process. But this summer, Extell secured a commitment from Seattle-based Nordstrom to build its first New York City location—a 285,000-square-foot store—on the site, and Nordstrom recommended the Chicago-based design firm, Mr. Barnett said.

Colin Johnson, a spokesman for Nordstrom, said it believes the architectural firm shares its vision for a top-quality design for the building, which is scheduled to open in 2018. "We want to have our best Nordstrom store in the best retail city in the world," Mr. Johnson said. "That means being part of a building that we hope will become an iconic part of the Manhattan landscape."

One challenge for Mr. Barnett may come from a rival development firm with similar plans. Just one block to the north, Vornado Realty Trust VNO +0.66%is planning to build a condominium tower that could obstruct many views from Extell's building, though the planned height is unclear. Mr. Barnett, however, stands to delay the timing of that building, 220 Central Park South. He controls the lease to a parking garage on the site that runs until 2018, thus having the ability to block Vornado from building in the short term.

Dale Dec 17, 2012 6:51 PM

I hope they can be persuaded to build this one in 11 months, like ESB.

Busy Bee Dec 17, 2012 7:03 PM

Quote:

the world’s tallest tower that reaches some 2,717 feet, more than a mile high
Umm... FAIL.

ThatOneGuy Dec 17, 2012 7:14 PM

^^ Math is hard

NYC GUY Dec 17, 2012 7:41 PM

Um sir you're a bit off only by about 2563 feet but that's it. lol

aquablue Dec 17, 2012 7:49 PM

I hope this tower doesn't end up like Trump Chicago in any way.

NYguy Dec 17, 2012 7:53 PM

Quote:

Plans for the building are moving forward at a time that a new type of skyscraper is beginning to emerge on the Manhattan skyline. For decades, office towers accounted for most of the towers built more than 600 feet high, while top residential apartments were generally found in low-slung Upper East Side cooperatives. But now a handful of developers are building very tall, slender luxury residential towers, betting that the wealthy will pay for great views.

Mr. Barnett, currently one of the city's most prolific developers, has been on the vanguard of this change. ...."As with all skyscrapers, it's the economics that makes them possible, and it's a strong market," says Carol Willis, founding director of the Lower Manhattan-based Skyscraper Museum. "People who are willing to pay a great deal—millions and tens of millions for apartments in the sky—there's a market for that."

This is what's driving these towers, and Barnett may have triggered a building war with his grabs for tallest residential tower in the city. I wonder if Vornado will try to reach heights with it's own tower, or settle for a lower tower with unobstructed views of Central Park.

One thing seems certain, Midtown is set for a dramatic shift in the way we see the skyline, with this tower, the Hudson Yards towers, 432 Park, etc. all scheduled for completion within the next 5 years. And if we've already had excitement watching the changes, it's been nothing like what we are about to see. :tup:

Dale Dec 17, 2012 8:00 PM

Aside: could the next mayor, depending on who wins, throw a monkey wrench into plans for taller and taller buildings ?

Crawford Dec 17, 2012 8:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 5941453)
Aside: could the next mayor, depending on who wins, throw a monkey wrench into plans for taller and taller buildings ?

THe NYC mayor doesn't have direct control over the city's zoning code.

In any case, under Bloomberg, there have been far more downzonings in NYC than upzonings.