SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   BC Highway Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187593)

Airboy Sep 10, 2020 5:35 AM

New round about in Radium is pretty much done. Final paving left to do but it is ussable. Drove TCH to golden from Banff. Staking is pretty much a,one the whole route. There are some sections that have had some work done. There really is not much left for 4 Lanning.

Mazrim Sep 10, 2020 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airboy (Post 9037243)
Drove TCH to golden from Banff. Staking is pretty much a,one the whole route. There are some sections that have had some work done. There really is not much left for 4 Lanning.

I refuse to believe that I will live long enough to see that entire stretch 4-laned but I guess miracles do happen.

Dengler Avenue Sep 10, 2020 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazrim (Post 9037611)
I refuse to believe that I will live long enough to see that entire stretch 4-laned but I guess miracles do happen.

Tell that to us who live in Ontario...

craner Sep 10, 2020 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airboy (Post 9037243)
New round about in Radium is pretty much done. Final paving left to do but it is ussable. Drove TCH to golden from Banff. Staking is pretty much a,one the whole route. There are some sections that have had some work done. There really is not much left for 4 Lanning.

Yeah - once this last phase of Kicking Horse Canyon is done it will basically just be the Yoho section (up to the Feds) to complete between Calgary & Golden.
http://https://www.pc.gc.ca/-/media/pn-np/bc/yoho/WET4/pdf/tch-twinning/apercu-du-projet_phaseIVB_project-overview.pdf?_ga=2.148606199.1305111974.1581079983-1263092526.1581079983

When you say “Staking on the whole route” are you just referring to the Kicking Horse Canyon section east of Golden ?

Airboy Sep 11, 2020 10:42 PM

Yup. Survey stakes along most of the route. First noticed them when we pulled into Kikitawa falls.

craner Sep 12, 2020 8:00 AM

Well that’s encouraging. Everything I read about the Yoho section says something along the lines of “not currently funded”

jimmyboy95 Sep 18, 2020 5:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9022291)
Not a map available but have somewhere newspaper clippings from both Kelowna and Castlegar on the project.
It basically went as straight east as you can from Big White (starting just east of the Big White turnoff) to Arrow Lakes and split both north and south.

That would be incredible. However, the mountain pass required through the Midway Range of the Monashees, would be close to 2000 meters elevation.

craner Sep 28, 2020 7:09 AM

YOHO Twinning Phase IVB

I found this from Feb. while surfing around:
http://https://www.thegoldenstar.net/news/parks-canada-begins-public-consultations-to-twin-trans-canada-highway-in-yoho-national-park/

Corndogger Sep 28, 2020 8:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craner (Post 9056190)

Interesting. Any idea where the results of the consultation are posted? If they could get this done in eight years that would be good but not great. Too bad this wasn't ready to go back in February as this year would have been ideal for highway construction.

DoubleK Sep 28, 2020 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corndogger (Post 9056204)
Interesting. Any idea where the results of the consultation are posted? If they could get this done in eight years that would be good but not great. Too bad this wasn't ready to go back in February as this year would have been ideal for highway construction.

It's here

Corndogger Sep 28, 2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleK (Post 9056995)
It's here

Thanks.

Under Planning Schedule there's an entry under "Stage/Milestone" that reads "Decision on Detailed Impact Analysis" with a Timing of Spring/Summer 2020. Has a decision been made? If this is approved or about to be it would be a great infrastructure project for the feds to invest in.

Dengler Avenue Sep 28, 2020 10:04 PM

yay traffic light at Field :uhh:

craner Sep 28, 2020 10:44 PM

Yeah I was wondering if a decision on the DIA had been made as scheduled for spring/summer 2020 ?

The 8-10 year timeline to get funding and complete construction is about what I expected. When Airboy mentioned seeing stakes all along the route I got hopeful they might be accelerating things but I can’t find anything saying so. :(

And yes Dengler I agree - we can’t be adding traffic lights to the TCH so bite the bullet and do the Field intersection properly.
:superwhip

Dengler Avenue Sep 28, 2020 11:07 PM

For me, I'm simply concerned that trucks will burn the red light regardless and kill people...

Metro-One Sep 28, 2020 11:46 PM

We discussed the traffic light at Fields on here months ago.

Sent in my response demanding an interchange there.

Also 8 to 10 years for completing 40km of highway is sadly lightning fast for the #1...

Airboy Sep 29, 2020 2:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 9057272)
We discussed the traffic light at Fields on here months ago.

Sent in my response demanding an interchange there.

Also 8 to 10 years for completing 40km of highway is sadly lightning fast for the #1...

I think it will be done faster. GoC is pushing some projects through faster for economic reasons. Also after driving that corridor a few weeks back, it already looks like some work has started.

jimmyboy95 Sep 30, 2020 6:07 PM

Pretty ridiculous to add a signal to the Trans Canada, but it will be interesting to see how it is installed. This is a stretch of highway managed by Parks Canada, so it may not be installed to the same standard as BC MOTI signals. It will likely be a slightly different standard, maybe even have horizontal lights like Alberta has.

craner Oct 1, 2020 5:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airboy (Post 9057809)
I think it will be done faster. GoC is pushing some projects through faster for economic reasons. Also after driving that corridor a few weeks back, it already looks like some work has started.

Man I hope you’re right Airboy :fingerscrossed:

DKaz Oct 14, 2020 1:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyboy95 (Post 9059377)
Pretty ridiculous to add a signal to the Trans Canada, but it will be interesting to see how it is installed. This is a stretch of highway managed by Parks Canada, so it may not be installed to the same standard as BC MOTI signals. It will likely be a slightly different standard, maybe even have horizontal lights like Alberta has.

Nope, it's being installed exactly to BC's standard. One overhead light for every through lane, auxiliary lights left and right. I wish Alberta would adopt this standard as it's really useful to know how many through lanes there are when visiblity is poor or the road is covered with snow.

craner Nov 6, 2020 5:47 AM

Anything happening on Kicking Horse Phase 4 yet ?
The website hasn’t been updated since June. :???::shrug: