SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Marina_Guy Dec 9, 2007 1:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 3212671)
I am really disappointed in the color of Electra's glass. Green...blue...silver...anything would have been better than BROWN! This isn't 1975.

I guess I am the only one that likes the brown glass.... Everything is blue and green these days and for once this one does not look like a typical boring Bosa tower. The articulation on the sides is much more interesting and has much more variety when compared with the hideous Grande Towers.

Talk about boring....The Grande, yuk, and there are two of them.

If you want to talk about really UGLY towers just look down the street at Park Place. Who put that ugly birdhouse on the top of that balcony ridden tower. That one looks like it belongs on some cheap strip of Florida condos. More BOSA blight.

Maybe we should take a poll of the ugliest towers in Downtown. Lots of choices.

You think about all the new development we got from the last wave of building and I don't think there were many, if any, really outstanding pieces of architecture.

Derek Dec 9, 2007 1:15 AM

I think Park Place looks nice, actually. But hey, an opinion is an opinion right? It's Park Row that takes first place for the most hideous "complex" in downtown San Diego, followed by the power thing to the south of Electra, and across the street from Park Row.

HurricaneHugo Dec 9, 2007 9:03 AM

Park row needs to be nuked.

Derek Dec 9, 2007 9:20 AM

Definitely. How about the snow in the mountains? :yes:

bushman61988 Dec 9, 2007 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 3215726)
Park row needs to be nuked.

LOL...yes, I second that...what a HORRID use of space, to have 2-3 story ugly, pink apartments right were there could be sparkling, 400-500 feet towers.

But u have to understand that those were pioneer buildings back in the day when NO ONE lived Downtown, and it was still a really scary place...but now they've outlived their usefulness and yes, need to be destroyed.

Actually, i used to think that the Hilton Convention Center Hotel would be the ugliest thing, and IMO, it's not all that bad, just incredibly boring.

The Grande isn't too bad, but I hope there will never be any more twin towers in downtown EVERY Again...

But the WORST...The WORST...hmm...
Park Place kind of sucks but I would say....
Allegro towers and with the dreadful gray balconies, and the hideous exposed-concrete backside.

bmfarley Dec 10, 2007 3:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushman61988 (Post 3216602)
"...But the WORST...The WORST...hmm...
Park Place kind of sucks but I would say....
Allegro towers and with the dreadful gray balconies, and the hideous exposed-concrete backside.

Gotta concur with that one. What also makes it terrible imo, is that they no longer turn the red verticle 22-floor neon light on. That was "SWEET"to see coming south on I5 into downtown. That 'made' the skyline for night time views for me.

bushman61988 Dec 10, 2007 4:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3217129)
Gotta concur with that one. What also makes it terrible imo, is that they no longer turn the red verticle 22-floor neon light on. That was "SWEET"to see coming south on I5 into downtown. That 'made' the skyline for night time views for me.

I think it comes on only for the holidays, for Christmas time and New Years, and I think around 4th of July but that's IT....

See, i completely agree that that is the ONLY saving point of Allegro tower is that red neon line that actually makes it look Slick...but, naturally they seldom turn it on...Cheap bastards, prolly jus to save money...

How the HELL did CCDC Approve this piece of junk?!

Marina_Guy Dec 10, 2007 5:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3217129)

Ugly = Cortez Blu?

bmfarley Dec 10, 2007 6:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushman61988 (Post 3217282)
I think it comes on only for the holidays, for Christmas time and New Years, and I think around 4th of July but that's IT....

See, i completely agree that that is the ONLY saving point of Allegro tower is that red neon line that actually makes it look Slick...but, naturally they seldom turn it on...Cheap bastards, prolly jus to save money...

How the HELL did CCDC Approve this piece of junk?!

To be fair, a building is proposed to go up right behind it... and would block the backside.

Allegro use to keep the light on every night. But, i understand that some uppity up peeps on Pt Loma complained about the light pollution!?! That's what I heard, anyway. Doesn't make sense to me!

eburress Dec 10, 2007 6:20 AM

^^ It was lit up last night, at least. :)

mello Dec 10, 2007 5:44 PM

Yeah allegro is by far the worst of the new buildings downtown. I saw the snow on Mt. Cuyamaca walking to work this morning not that much up there. Maybe Mt. Laguna has more but you can never see that range from the West (blocked by other mountains).

Looks like I'm moving to Guadalajara to teach English. I need a change of pace for a while and I can't wait to compare a "real" Mexican city to the border towns and coastal resort cities I've been to. I've heard some really good things about GDJ. Have to make my decision within a week. :grouphug: :banaride:

SD_Phil Dec 10, 2007 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy (Post 3217324)
Ugly = Cortez Blu?

Most definitely!:tup:

sandiegodweller Dec 10, 2007 8:43 PM

Cosmo Square DOA

I heard from very reliable sources that the lender who owns the NOTE on the land for Cosmo Square took bids last week. If they sell the NOTE, the new note holders will proceed with foreclosure.

The amount owed on the 1st Trust Deed is approx. $17.5 million. There are other Trust Deeds behind the 1st TD who will be wiped out.

HurricaneHugo Dec 11, 2007 3:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 3218214)
Yeah allegro is by far the worst of the new buildings downtown. I saw the snow on Mt. Cuyamaca walking to work this morning not that much up there. Maybe Mt. Laguna has more but you can never see that range from the West (blocked by other mountains).

Looks like I'm moving to Guadalajara to teach English. I need a change of pace for a while and I can't wait to compare a "real" Mexican city to the border towns and coastal resort cities I've been to. I've heard some really good things about GDJ. Have to make my decision within a week. :grouphug: :banaride:

Guadalajara is BEAUTIFUL.:D

bmfarley Dec 11, 2007 4:18 AM

And Washington Mutual... one of the nations largest morgage lenders, just announced that they are getting out of the morgage lending business entirely.

Ouch... they must be taking an absolute beating to get out entirely.

Business Week: Mortgage crisis forces big cuts at WaMu

keg92101 Dec 11, 2007 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3219764)
And Washington Mutual... one of the nations largest morgage lenders, just announced that they are getting out of the morgage lending business entirely.

Ouch... they must be taking an absolute beating to get out entirely.

Business Week: Mortgage crisis forces big cuts at WaMu

Not quite...

"After dismantling much of its subprime mortgage operation in September, Seattle-based WaMu will now get out of the business entirely"

This is specifically "sub-prime" business, not overall lending business.

bmfarley Dec 12, 2007 1:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3221621)
Not quite...

"After dismantling much of its subprime mortgage operation in September, Seattle-based WaMu will now get out of the business entirely"

This is specifically "sub-prime" business, not overall lending business.

I stand corrected. Abandoning all morgage lending business did seem quite severe. Glad it's not that bad. Ahem.

latinfreak Dec 12, 2007 5:29 AM

So...the San Diego Hard Rock Hotel is officially open now... Our biggest star for the grand opening was Fergie... We're such Dlisters in this city... if it were Miami, everyone famous and their momma wouldve been there.... :(

keg92101 Dec 12, 2007 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latinfreak (Post 3222375)
So...the San Diego Hard Rock Hotel is officially open now... Our biggest star for the grand opening was Fergie... We're such Dlisters in this city... if it were Miami, everyone famous and their momma wouldve been there.... :(

I was there too and I saw Cindy Crawford and Ashlee Simpson too. Cindy looks great for 41.

HurricaneHugo Dec 16, 2007 2:33 AM

wtf just leave the seals alone...